Marvel Ultimate Alliance Disc Version won't work on Windows 10

Avatar image for englandismycity
#1 Posted by EnglandIsMyCity (5 posts) -

I recently got the disc version of Marvel Ultimate Alliance on pc (I didn't get the steam version because I wanted to be able to mod it). However, after installing it, I am unable to run the game. After I click the shortcut and say yes to the make changes to your pc prompt, nothing launches. I checked the task manager just in case it was running in the background for some reason- nothing. I've seen other people play the disc version of this game on YouTube on Windows 10, so it's unlikely that the DRM has anything to do with it. How can I get this game up and running?

Here are my specs:

Windows 10 Home

AMD A4-6300 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics 3.70 GHz

8.00 GB of installed RAM

64-bit OS, x64-based processor

#2 Posted by FelipeInside (28548 posts) -

@englandismycity said:

I recently got the disc version of Marvel Ultimate Alliance on pc (I didn't get the steam version because I wanted to be able to mod it). However, after installing it, I am unable to run the game. After I click the shortcut and say yes to the make changes to your pc prompt, nothing launches. I checked the task manager just in case it was running in the background for some reason- nothing. I've seen other people play the disc version of this game on YouTube on Windows 10, so it's unlikely that the DRM has anything to do with it. How can I get this game up and running?

Here are my specs:

Windows 10 Home

AMD A4-6300 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics 3.70 GHz

8.00 GB of installed RAM

64-bit OS, x64-based processor

Try compatibility mode

#3 Posted by devnon06 (28 posts) -

I just did a quick google search... Yes I realize you don't have the steam version, but it seems like a lot of steam users were having the same problem as you. The fix was to make sure that Windows was completely up to date.

#4 Edited by EnglandIsMyCity (5 posts) -

@FelipeInside: I have already tried compatibility mode (Windows XP Service Packs 2 and 3) and it still came up with nothing.

@devnon6: Thanks for the reply- I'll see if my version is up to date

#5 Edited by EnglandIsMyCity (5 posts) -

Even after updating to the latest version, the game still won't start, unfortunately.

#6 Edited by CaptPrichard (2 posts) -

Try running it as an Admin.

#7 Posted by EnglandIsMyCity (5 posts) -

@captprichard: I've tried that as well- no luck.

#8 Edited by WillyNunez (1 posts) -

Did you get it to start I'm having the same problem

#9 Edited by SReyes1982 (1 posts) -

I was finally able to get this game running. Turns out that Microsoft disabled the Windows service that allows for disc authentication since its vulnerable to attack. On affects disc versions of older games.

For background: https://www.howtogeek.com/230773/how-to-play-pc-games-that-require-safedisc-or-securom-drm-on-windows-10-8.1-8-7-and-vista/amp/

For official Microsoft workaround (not Win 10): https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3086255/ms15-097-description-of-the-security-update-for-the-graphics-component

For my fix, I created a batch file that enables the secdrive service ad-hoc so I keep the computer secure as much as possible.

I hope this helps someone else!