Making a Ryzen build.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JoannaDark360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By JoannaDark360
Member since 2016 • 297 Posts

I plan on getting parts on making a second Gaming PC. I may have all the parts by next year! LOL! Anyways! What will I need to do? I want to move my data off my hard drive to a SSD or Hybrid hard drive. ( I heard it is free transfer software. ) If I used such software. will that SSD or Hybrid work with my Ryzen build? I still want to use my OG build. Will I need to buy Windows 7 or 10 again? Should I get a full tower or Mid tower? Thanks!

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127532 Posts

Air cooling or water cooling? If water, get a proper midi or full tower. If air, you have more options. Since you want to keep using your current build then yes you will need a new windows license.

I think you will get cloning software when you purchase some SSD... I got it with my Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD at least.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

If you have the OEM license of windows you will need to buy a new key, if you have the retail version you can install it on your upgrade.

JoannaDark360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 JoannaDark360

@horgen: Thanks! You got a 500GB SSD?! You not worry how games are getting BIG?! I may go water cooling for over clocking! Also! I have a Windows 7. which was upgraded for free to Windows 10.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 horgen  Moderator

@joannadark360 said:

@horgen: Thanks! You got a 500GB SSD?! You not worry how games are getting BIG?! I may go water cooling for over clocking! Also! I have a Windows 7. which was upgraded for free to Windows 10.

I got a 1TB and a 3TB HDD as well...

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@horgen said:

Air cooling or water cooling? If water, get a proper midi or full tower. If air, you have more options. Since you want to keep using your current build then yes you will need a new windows license.

I think you will get cloning software when you purchase some SSD... I got it with my Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD at least.

... Going to have to disagree there.. Even custom water loop set ups can be now built in itx and microatx cases with ease looking at cases like the Fractal Nano, NZXT Manta, thermaltake v21 and Phanteks Itx.... SLI and crossfire are getting phased out each gen where NVidia now only officially supports two sli card set ups.. Something that can be easily done in smaller matx case.. Hell just recently saw some one be able to fit two MSI 1080 seahawks in a Corsair matx air 240 with a h100i cpu cooler in it as well.

Hell I would say go mid tower now simply BECAUSE of air because many of these smaller cases do not have the best of airflow.. Which is why for my ITX Phantek case I am using a MSI seahawk 1070 because a typical aftermarket 1070 doesn't perform the best temp wise in that case due to not much breathing room.

I seriously would never recommend a full tower case ever inless you are doing some kind of crazy experimental tri or quad SLI or plan on housing 10 hard drives.. They are completely unnecessary now a days.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 horgen  Moderator

@sSubZerOo said:

... Going to have to disagree there.. Even custom water loop set ups can be now built in itx and microatx cases with ease looking at cases like the Fractal Nano, NZXT Manta, thermaltake v21 and Phanteks Itx.... SLI and crossfire are getting phased out each gen where NVidia now only officially supports two sli card set ups.. Something that can be easily done in smaller matx case.. Hell just recently saw some one be able to fit two MSI 1080 seahawks in a Corsair matx air 240 with a h100i cpu cooler in it as well.

Hell I would say go mid tower now simply BECAUSE of air because many of these smaller cases do not have the best of airflow.. Which is why for my ITX Phantek case I am using a MSI seahawk 1070 because a typical aftermarket 1070 doesn't perform the best temp wise in that case due to not much breathing room.

I seriously would never recommend a full tower case ever inless you are doing some kind of crazy experimental tri or quad SLI or plan on housing 10 hard drives.. They are completely unnecessary now a days.

If you want a quiet build, you will need radiator space. But sure the AIO solutions are really good for GPUs at least.

I got 980Ti SLI, overclocked and run my fans at 700-730rpm. I'll hardly see anything above 42C on the GPUs and my build is rather silent. You're not going to get that in a midi tower or smaller.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814

@horgen said:
@sSubZerOo said:

If you want a quiet build, you will need radiator space. But sure the AIO solutions are really good for GPUs at least.

I got 980Ti SLI, overclocked and run my fans at 700-730rpm. I'll hardly see anything above 42C on the GPUs and my build is rather silent. You're not going to get that in a midi tower or smaller.

Cases like the Phantek ITX can house 2x 140mm radiators top, 2x 140mm in front and 1x 140mm in back.. And if anything your build proves that because 42c is already crazy low illustrating that you already have are major overkill in your build that doesn't need to stay that cool.. Anything under 65 at full load is already crazy low thermals to begin with when NVidia and ATI references are designed to be pushing upwards to 80.. I mean take a NZXT 440 midtower.. It would have basically just one more slot for water cooling in the radiator upfront.. IN no way is that going to some how dramatically change your temps to the point that it would suddenly require you to make it louder.

Commiesdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Commiesdie
Member since 2006 • 372 Posts

I would wait and see what new cpu Intel is planning before purchasing the ryzen

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 horgen  Moderator

@sSubZerOo said:

Cases like the Phantek ITX can house 2x 140mm radiators top, 2x 140mm in front and 1x 140mm in back.. And if anything your build proves that because 42c is already crazy low illustrating that you already have are major overkill in your build that doesn't need to stay that cool.. Anything under 65 at full load is already crazy low thermals to begin with when NVidia and ATI references are designed to be pushing upwards to 80.. I mean take a NZXT 440 midtower.. It would have basically just one more slot for water cooling in the radiator upfront.. IN no way is that going to some how dramatically change your temps to the point that it would suddenly require you to make it louder.

Include CPU in that loop... You're not keeping an overclocked mainstream processor from Intel in reasonable temps if you are pushing water temps close to 50C. I bet you will be pushing 90C on it with stock clocks even.

You could always split it into two loops and have the CPU AIO being set up as intake.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814

@horgen said:
@sSubZerOo said:

Include CPU in that loop... You're not keeping an overclocked mainstream processor from Intel in reasonable temps if you are pushing water temps close to 50C. I bet you will be pushing 90C on it with stock clocks even.

You could always split it into two loops and have the CPU AIO being set up as intake.

oh was misunderstanding you there, thought you were talking about the component temps, not the water temps. Currenlty I am using a AIO h100i in the case it self. The highest 6600k goes at 4.4ghz @ 1.27v is 65 degree max core temp doing Asus real bench..

Like I said the problem with these cases tower wise (I don't think the corsair 240 has this problem due to more room for video card) is they don't fit well with aftermarket open air coolers.. And reference blowers or water cooled video cards are much better for them.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 horgen  Moderator

@sSubZerOo: I got water temps at 30-32c during folding on both cards. Gpus are at 37-42C. One thing is sure though, step down to the XX4 chip from nVidia and you can save a lot on radiator space.

JoannaDark360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JoannaDark360

@horgen: I'm thinking about getting this water cooler: https://www.amazon.com/AquaChanger-Liquid-Cooler-LPWAC120-HF-Compatible/dp/B00RDLA9VO/ref=sr_1_6?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1489258141&sr=1-6&keywords=am4+liquid+cooler How much your SSD cost? By getting this cloning software. The passwords will be the same? on both my OG build and RYZEN build? Oh! If anyone was wondering which RYZEN CPU I was getting. It is the 1700X!