Make Some Linux Dedicated Games !

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Xsan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 Xsan3
Member since 2009 • 2618 Posts

For all of those Linux Heads out there who keep bashing MS and probably Apple as well - Wouldnt it be a Decent idea if a Up in Coming Game Developer were to try and Design a Linux Exclusive Game Title?

Personally - I like Microsoft - but the only real reason I use it is for Gaming. If someone out there designed the Next 'Halo' -like exclusive Game for Linux, it would quite possibly turn gamers on to the Idea of Utilizing Ubuntu or something similar, and then hopfully future Developers may follow..

Why would this be a good idea? Well - if ur unfamiliar with Linux, then thats probably the kind of question you would ask. Since Linux is Open Source , the OS is free for everyone. And well - do some reading to get an understanding of why so many enthusisats have such High remarks of it.

How bout it? This plan just might work . . .

giant11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 giant11
Member since 2003 • 760 Posts

Why would this be a good idea? Well - if ur unfamiliar with Linux, then thats probably the kind of question you would ask.Xsan3

Sorry, but you come off as very naive. This plan might just never work. Wait, scratch out the 'might' part. It just won't work.

The reality is that AAA titles almost never get produced by brand new, up and coming developers. If they do, then they have guidance from some people in the industry. But most importantly, a dev team that is behind what's nearly guaranteed to be the next big games will need to have MASSIVE FINANCIAL BACKING.

And that's what it boils down to. If you want to make an amazing game with really high production values, you will need to have one of the big publishers behind you. And we all know that Activision, EA, or Ubisoft simply will not make risks like that.

I know you're well-meaning, but this is just unrealistic. We'll have world peace before some publisher decides to release their next blockbuster game to Linux only.

-CheeseEater-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 -CheeseEater-
Member since 2007 • 5258 Posts
Releasing a game on Linux absolutely obliterates the majority of your consumer base. It'd be a near suicidal profit mission, unless you were developing a seriously low budget title, and don't have much to loose.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

Just wait for Valve to port Steam to Linux... I mean if a game is on Mac, it won't take a lot of work to port it to Linux.

Xsan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Xsan3

[QUOTE="Xsan3"]

Why would this be a good idea? Well - if ur unfamiliar with Linux, then thats probably the kind of question you would ask.giant11

Sorry, but you come off as very naive. This plan might just never work. Wait, scratch out the 'might' part. It just won't work.

The reality is that AAA titles almost never get produced by brand new, up and coming developers. If they do, then they have guidance from some people in the industry. But most importantly, a dev team that is behind what's nearly guaranteed to be the next big games will need to have MASSIVE FINANCIAL BACKING.

Going as far as naming someone Naive and have an immediate Wont work sounds more naive than a simple suggestion. Massive Financial backing - was supported by IBM, with over a 1billion dollar backing in 2001 , to help support the Network and Business market. So it doesnt seem unrealistic to support a game developer to launch an exclusive title. And why would there be a need to obtain a AAA development company to deliver such a game? Practically anyone who has enough talent to actually program a game could perform such a task. Atari has been on the brink of collapse for quite a while now, and still managed to Hire SONY CEO to help manage a possible comeback.
And how much would u really predict it would cost to actually make a game? Crysis cost somewhere around $20million to make - and i doubt there would have to be that much spent to make a less graphically complex game as such.
It is possible to make a great game without having to bet the farm - it would just require someone who isnt out just to make millions - but someone who believes in building a better product. And I belive Linux is that better product.

Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts

Just wait for Valve to port Steam to Linux... I mean if a game is on Mac, it won't take a lot of work to port it to Linux.

JigglyWiggly_
^This. Linux games are getting more and more common. Slowly, but its still getting there. Ive played ET:Quake Wars on linux before
Xsan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Xsan3

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]

Iantheone

^This. Linux games are getting more and more common. Slowly, but its still getting there. Ive played ET:Quake Wars on linux before

YEah-that is a really good insight. If steam ever does come up with this - then Im certainly switich my main OS to a Linux based OS.

Kaeladar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Kaeladar
Member since 2006 • 377 Posts
it would be an ambitious project, it would not be profitable if only released on linux though. even quake live does not have so much linux users according to john carmack, and it's free. but it might be possible to make something decent if the game is sold on all PC OS.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

JigglyWiggly_

Maybe I'm wrong. But, the majority of Mac users tend to pay for their software while the prevailing mood with Linux users is that everything should be free. Valve probably sees making a profit with Mac users. But, they may not have the same opinion with regards to Linux users.

guildclaws

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 guildclaws
Member since 2009 • 7921 Posts

JigglyWiggly_
valve will never release Steam on Linux
Sparticus247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Sparticus247
Member since 2005 • 2368 Posts

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]

guildclaws

You have definite proof of this?

subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 subrosian
Member since 2005 • 14232 Posts
You have definite proof of this?Sparticus247
You can never definitively prove a negative. For example, I cannot prove that GameSpot will not create a board dedicated to discussing Marshmallows. Is it likely? No. There are some serious security concerns with porting STEAM to Linux, as well as some serious profitability concerns. I'm NOT going to argue with anyone here on this point. Just to be clear, I have zero desire (or time, frankly) to argue with people who think Linux is a great home OS about why the business world doesn't agree with you.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JigglyWiggly_

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]

jun_aka_pekto

Maybe I'm wrong. But, the majority of Mac users tend to pay for their software while the prevailing mood with Linux users is that everything should be free. Valve probably sees making a profit with Mac users. But, they may not have the same opinion with regards to Linux users.

Yes everyone who uses Linux is a pirate, or wants EVERYTHING free. Except that analogy is flawed, because Linux isn't "free". It's open source under the GNU liscence.

Anyway, here is proof for Steam under Linux.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODE3Mw

giant11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 giant11

And how much would u really predict it would cost to actually make a game? Crysis cost somewhere around $20million to make - and i doubt there would have to be that much spent to make a less graphically complex game as such.Xsan3

It would cost many millions. It always does. And as long as we're talking about 'the next Halo', it will need to have just about bleeding edge graphics.

It is possible to make a great game without having to bet the farm - it would just require someone who isnt out just to make millions - but someone who believes in building a better product. And I belive Linux is that better product.Xsan3

Linux is great. I like it. Is it great for developers/programmers/people who believe in open system design? Absolutely. But is it better for gaming? No.

IMO, what could kind of work is Linux getting more games ported after Valve finally releases Valve for Steam. You might have more and more games trickle down to Linux. But if we are arrive at a point when a AAA title gets release to Linux first, it will be at a time when Windows & Linux are treated equally by developers, and will more likely have happened by mere chance and will almost certainly be followed up by a port to Windows.

Xsan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Xsan3

[QUOTE="guildclaws"][QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]

Sparticus247

You have definite proof of this?

How could someone possibly say Valve will Never release Steam on Linux? What , are u a fortune teller ?? Its too bad folks prefer to speak in absolutes...Steam is a free App , so i dont see why not.

And for someone else to say it would be unprofitable is also an Unforseen prediction. Why wouldnt it be? If the OS is free - and the game costs as much as any other game - Why not buy it ?

EDIT: @ JigglyWiggly - Thx for the Link about Steam coming to Linux - There is no doubt in my mind Linux Programmers out there can Optimize an OS directly for Gaming and the Entertainment World.
When this does ever happen - - Id like to see Steam post a Link or a free download of a Linux OS , that can be setup like Ubuntu and partition its OS an already existing Loaded HDD.

Xsan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Xsan3

[QUOTE="Xsan3"]And how much would u really predict it would cost to actually make a game? Crysis cost somewhere around $20million to make - and i doubt there would have to be that much spent to make a less graphically complex game as such.giant11

It would cost many millions. It always does. And as long as we're talking about 'the next Halo', it will need to have just about bleeding edge graphics.

It is possible to make a great game without having to bet the farm - it would just require someone who isnt out just to make millions - but someone who believes in building a better product. And I belive Linux is that better product.Xsan3

Linux is great. I like it. Is it great for developers/programmers/people who believe in open system design? Absolutely. But is it better for gaming? No.

Its not better for gaming because there arent enough influences for gaming. Linux could dedicate an Operating System - probably overnight - that could be Optimized for gaming...It only needs a reason...

Im sure a Decade ago - folks would have said the same negativity about the Xbox, and how MS isnt a Hardware corp...But theyve managed to pull it off.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JigglyWiggly_

Performance is going to be around the same level as a Mac... as in not very good :P

Xsan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Xsan3

Performance is going to be around the same level as a Mac... as in not very good :P

JigglyWiggly_

Probably at first - but like i said, once it catches on, Someone is bound to be destined to improve that - - and develop either a patch or even an entire OS dedicated to Home Entertainment and Gaming.

alexside1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 alexside1
Member since 2006 • 4412 Posts
[QUOTE="Sparticus247"]You have definite proof of this?subrosian
You can never definitively prove a negative. For example, I cannot prove that GameSpot will not create a board dedicated to discussing Marshmallows. Is it likely? No. There are some serious security concerns with porting STEAM to Linux, as well as some serious profitability concerns. I'm NOT going to argue with anyone here on this point. Just to be clear, I have zero desire (or time, frankly) to argue with people who think Linux is a great home OS about why the business world doesn't agree with you.

You can't prove a negative, and yet can prove a positive? The logic doesn't add up. You can disprove something by providing evidences that contracts a persons claim.
Xsan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Xsan3

[QUOTE="subrosian"][QUOTE="Sparticus247"]You have definite proof of this?alexside1

You can't prove a negative, and yet can prove a positive? The logic doesn't add up. You can disprove something by providing evidences that contracts a persons claim.

In this case - to say Steam will Never come to Linux is definatly a foul response - especially if you read Jiggly's link on the subject.

BTW - Who would have Ever though Apple would start using INTEL hardware? Im sue someone probably asked that question at sometime and too got a bunch of Negative responses saying how impossible or unprofitable the idea is. Or someone said Apple or Intel wil NEVER do that!

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JigglyWiggly_

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]

Xsan3

Probably at first - but like i said, once it catches on, Someone is bound to be destined to improve that - - and develop either a patch or even an entire OS dedicated to Home Entertainment and Gaming.

That's up to NVIDIA and ATI. Their drivers are closed source.
CellAnimation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 CellAnimation
Member since 2007 • 6116 Posts
I'm not sure how long you've used Linux for but back in the late 90s, early 00's a company called Loki tried to port commercial games to Linux. They ended up closing down reasonably quickly. I remember when they were porting games and asking for money Linux users were complaining about having to pay for software. Unless this everything has got to be free attitude has changed I don't hold out much hope for Linux as a proper gaming platform. I still have a heap of Loki retail boxes here. It was a good time to be a Linux user, it sucked to see them close so quickly though.
giant11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 giant11

I'm not sure how long you've used Linux for but back in the late 90s, early 00's a company called Loki tried to port commercial games to Linux. They ended up closing down reasonably quickly. I remember when they were porting games and asking for money Linux users were complaining about having to pay for software. Unless this everything has got to be free attitude has changed I don't hold out much hope for Linux as a proper gaming platform. I still have a heap of Loki retail boxes here. It was a good time to be a Linux user, it sucked to see them close so quickly though.CellAnimation

The environment has definitely changed. For one, there are a lot more Linux users. And at least part of the reason for that is the much better hardware support in Linux. Also, a number of Linux users do pay for their software, for example, like with Transgaming's CEDEGA service.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
Member since 2008 • 5396 Posts

JigglyWiggly_

For once JigglyWiggly, I know exactly what you mean.

Timmeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Timmeus
Member since 2007 • 1136 Posts

To develop a Linux exclusive is kind of foolish since it's not the best market for games and making a small game run on Windows, Mac OS and Linux is not difficult, so why only support the platform that will be the least profitable?

iamthejapanman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 iamthejapanman
Member since 2003 • 37 Posts

This is a bad idea and you should feel bad.

(and for the record, your original post was about developing a game exclusively for linux, but this thread seems to have become a debate about the possibility of putting steam on linux.)

Xsan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Xsan3

This is a bad idea and you should feel bad.

(and for the record, your original post was about developing a game exclusively for linux, but this thread seems to have become a debate about the possibility of putting steam on linux.)

iamthejapanman

Wow-great point , u really told all the facts. . Really intelligent answer how you summed everything up..

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 JigglyWiggly_

YOU SHOULD FEEL BADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD :P

Xsan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Xsan3

YOU SHOULD FEEL BADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD :P

JigglyWiggly_

I feel bad for people like that being brought into the world . . .

Jig-U mentioned Nvidia/Ati drivers , Was cool to see Ubuntu Recognized my 8800gt and downloaded drivers Directly. And if u check out the Nvidia Website, U'll see Linux 32 & 64 bit drivers for just about all of thier cards - eve ur 460. They even support Free BSD . Kinda cool..!!

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JigglyWiggly_
I mean, the performance of those drivers isn't anything spectacular... as in worse than Windows. But that's to be expected I mean, Windows has had games a lot longer. And yeah, Nvidia is really good about supporting other OS's, ATI... not so much.
General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
I would imagine making a game exclusively work for Linux would be akin to trying to write a virus just for a Mac. Its possible but not cost effective due to market share.
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
Man, Linux has Frozen Bubble. How much more do you guys want? geez
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts
Who would think for a second that making an exclusive game for the least common os would be a good idea.. ever? Even with a small budget.
Sparticus247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Sparticus247
Member since 2005 • 2368 Posts

I mean, the performance of those drivers isn't anything spectacular... as in worse than Windows. But that's to be expected I mean, Windows has had games a lot longer. And yeah, Nvidia is really good about supporting other OS's, ATI... not so much.JigglyWiggly_

ur just mad you picked one of the cards that ATI won't support with Linux :P

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 JigglyWiggly_

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]I mean, the performance of those drivers isn't anything spectacular... as in worse than Windows. But that's to be expected I mean, Windows has had games a lot longer. And yeah, Nvidia is really good about supporting other OS's, ATI... not so much.Sparticus247

ur just mad you picked one of the cards that ATI won't support with Linux :P

Well yeah... I mean it's like in their documentation: 1000, x2000, x3000, x4000,x5000 are supported in this release, except the hd 3870x2... :evil:

And no FreeBSD drivers, but I will say not a lot of people use FreeBSD with a GUI. Though nvidia is bringing 64bit FreeBSD drivers now, they are in beta.

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

Yo prefiero DirectX mas de OpenGL (pero OpenGL esta bien tambien) :P was my spanish ok?

Xsan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Xsan3

Who would think for a second that making an exclusive game for the least common os would be a good idea.. ever? Even with a small budget.Inconsistancy
Maybe someone like me who likes variety. Something other than Microsoft and Apple.

subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#39 subrosian
Member since 2005 • 14232 Posts
[QUOTE="subrosian"][QUOTE="Sparticus247"]You have definite proof of this?alexside1

You can always prove a positive. For example, I can prove that water boils at 100 degrees, that snow is made of water, and that the walls of my house are painted blue. That's not difficult. What's impossible to prove are indefinite events. Can I say that Valve will NEVER release Steam on Linux? No, it's impossible to say, there's literally the entire history of the universe going forward in which it could *potentially* occur. Is it likely? No.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]

JigglyWiggly_

Yes everyone who uses Linux is a pirate, or wants EVERYTHING free. Except that analogy is flawed, because Linux isn't "free". It's open source under the GNU liscence.

Anyway, here is proof for Steam under Linux.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODE3Mw

Ok. My bad. It should be most Linux users aren't likely to fork over any cash. At least that's the perception.