Major newbie LAN question

This topic is locked from further discussion.

supagamer9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 supagamer9
Member since 2004 • 1650 Posts

could I play games on LAN with someone by connecting the two computers with an ethernet cable?

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#2 Chickan_117
Member since 2009 • 16327 Posts

You can but you will have to use a crossover cable and statically set your connection info.

mike4realz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mike4realz
Member since 2003 • 2577 Posts
Yes & u can just use a regular Ethernet cable cuz nics now days can automatically crossover the cables
kraychik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 kraychik
Member since 2009 • 2433 Posts

What about more than two computer? Is a router the usable to connect, for examle, four players?

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Chickan_117

If you want to do that you'll need a network hub or switch. They cost around $10 and allow you to network multiple devices. You'll still need to configure network settings on each machine. There are alternatives out there that can publish IP addresses and the like so all you need to do is set your PC to auto connect however it's just as easy to set this up from the Pc itself.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

If you want to do that you'll need a network hub or switch. They cost around $10 and allow you to network multiple devices. You'll still need to configure network settings on each machine. There are alternatives out there that can publish IP addresses and the like so all you need to do is set your PC to auto connect however it's just as easy to set this up from the Pc itself.

Chickan_117
If he gets a switch he will have to enter the nat settings manually, might as well get a router or crossover cable. Never heard about new nics not needing a crossover cable, but I have never used either.
Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Chickan_117

He shouldn't have to worry about NAT if he just wants a local network. It's when he starts wanting to access the internet as well that he's gonna start needing that but it'll likely be built into his modem/router anyway.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JigglyWiggly_

He shouldn't have to worry about NAT if he just wants a local network. It's when he starts wanting to access the internet as well that he's gonna start needing that but it'll likely be built into his modem/router anyway.

Chickan_117
Yeah he will, with no router nothing will assign ip addresses. But I don't think he wants to do this anyway. TC, grab a router, or crossover cable.
GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

[QUOTE="Chickan_117"]

JigglyWiggly_

If he gets a switch he will have to enter the nat settings manually, might as well get a router or crossover cable. Never heard about new nics not needing a crossover cable, but I have never used either.

Connect a ethernet to your new and old mobo, the one with q6700. Its got auto-crossover detection. All gigabit NIC's support it.

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Chickan_117

I think you're thinking of something to provide DHCP servers not NAT.

Nat is used for communicating between different network of incompatible IP ranges. For example, my local addresses might be 192.168.1.1 thru 192.168.1.10 but, if I wanted internet access, these addresses wouldn't work for me because it's an incompatible subnet. Now, say I had an internet connection. My modem has the public IP address 203.39.215.202 which allows it to "talk to the internet". It has a local IP address of 192.168.1.1 so it can talk to computers on my local subnet. NAT is the process of modifying the IP headers so that packets sent out over the public IP will be able to find their way back to the right source machine.

DHCP is a protocol used, among other things for assigning IP addresses to devices seeking them. So he has two options (assuming he doesn't want to share internet which I assumed based on his initial query of networking two Pcs via ethernet port).

1. Set IPs statically on each device
  2. Have a device on the network that provides the DHCP auto config service so devices don't need to be set manually.

I advised option 1 as it seemed easier and cheaper.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JigglyWiggly_
That's what I'm saying. He wud have to set it manually with just a switch and no router. To GTR, if that's true, that's probably the easiest way to go, never tried it myself.
GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

That's what I'm saying. He wud have to set it manually with just a switch and no router. To GTR, if that's true, that's probably the easiest way to go, never tried it myself.JigglyWiggly_

Try it with your new laptop you got, hopefully soon they'll add auto-DHCP as well.

PandaOfWonders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PandaOfWonders
Member since 2010 • 57 Posts

Woah, how do you guys know so much information about routers, and networks, and ip adresses, and stuff.

I would like to learn more about this. Where can I obtain such knowledge?

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#14 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11785 Posts

Woah, how do you guys know so much information about routers, and networks, and ip adresses, and stuff.

I would like to learn more about this. Where can I obtain such knowledge?

PandaOfWonders

The easiest for people who don't know much about this, to purchase a cheap router, and a few ethernet cables. It will do most of the work these guys are talking about for you, (you may have to do initial setup with the router, which should hold your hand through the process, more like user click this here so it can automatically set it up itself)

I highly suggest that you don't do this retail, it will cost you way more..

I suggest you get it online, I can get 50ft Cat6e Ethernet cable for under $10 including shipping (amazon.com), you will be hard pressed to find it at that price retail.

Amazon you can probably get all you need for about $40-50.