relindwto6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By relindwto6
Member since 2020 • 4 Posts

I am in need of a new laptop and wondering whether the macbook pro's better battery, inclusion of a fan and brightness is enough features to be worth it. I have a specific price range of that i can either get the macbook air M1 with 16gb ram and 512 gb, or base macbook pro M1 with 8gb ram and 256gb? Let me know which is the better option for a university student! https://19216801.onl/

attirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3 attirex
Member since 2007 • 2449 Posts

Seeing as how this is a PC gaming thread, you will be told that suicide is a preferred option vs. buying any Apple product.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@relindwto6:

@attirex said:

Seeing as how this is a PC gaming thread, you will be told that suicide is a preferred option vs. buying any Apple product.

Agreed opinion on Apple products, but it's a PC/Mac/Linux Society forum - so why not.

IMO, unless you're into editing music or videos - there's no point to put that money on an Apple product, they're expensive and really limited in options. You want fancy? there're a lot of laptop models from well known brands that does fancy high quality metal laptops like Dell XPS, Asus Zenbook, also check out HP Spectre.

On non Apple laptops you can always swap to bigger storage and more RAM memory - on Apple it's either impossible or really hard work to do so.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

M1 or M1 pro depending on your work load. Either way, do yourself a favor and get 32gb ram. If that means M1 to save a buck, it’ll be worth it.

Alucrd2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 Alucrd2009
Member since 2007 • 787 Posts

@musicalmac: i had the m1 max with 32gb and I sold it and got 14 with 16 gb for arm version its more than enough. it all come back to what you do, but future proffing is 16gb with arm will be more than enough for 5 years I guess if you do some v-cutting and office and programing .

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#7 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

@alucrd2009: I don’t necessarily disagree—depending on usage case. However, I made a little mistake in my prior note. The M1 only supports a max of 16GB. It’s the Pro/Max that can go to 32GB of RAM.

For me, because the CPU and GPU on the SoC share he RAM, I’m inclined to recommend as much as one can afford. A few hundred extra dollars could truly stretch the lifespan of the computer by a couple years. I tend to keep Macs for a long time.

ivacskota

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 ivacskota
Member since 2023 • 1 Posts

Hey all! I'm purchasing a MacBook for my sister. She will mostly be using it for web browsing and school work.

I'm in a interesting situation and am interested in others opinions on the matter. The Air often goes on sale for $799 at Costco but is not currently on sale, and the Pro is currently on sale for $899. My parents are currently passing by New Hampshire, a state with no sales tax. This would make the MacBook Pro close to the same price as the air with California sales tax. I was wondering on if this would be worth it in your opinion.

Personally, I think it's a pretty good deal. A free touchbar, extra battery, extra GPU core, and brighter screen for an increase in .3 pounds seems nice to me. What is your opinion?