Lower CPU and better GPU or better CPU and lower GPU??? First time builder

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Forte123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Forte123
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Im looking at either a i5 3470/ fx 6300 with a hd 7870 for around 830-850 or a i5 3570k/fx 8350 with a 7850 for like 870-890 what would be the best way to go?
gp19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 gp19
Member since 2005 • 4252 Posts
Intel, whichever processor you choose Ivy or Haswell, needs to have a K at the end. You'll thank us later. As for the GPU, since you're on a budget, wait a few weeks for the 760ti.
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

Save some money, go AMD. 

You will not notice the differece betwen an AMD and intel processor.  I have an 8350 at home and a 3770 at work. I would suggest the 6300

Forte123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Forte123
thanks
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

thanksForte123
yep amd cpu in this case is the better buy

Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

Intel, whichever processor you choose Ivy or Haswell, needs to have a K at the end. You'll thank us later. As for the GPU, since you're on a budget, wait a few weeks for the 760ti.gp19

I will probably be getting the 760 Ti, so I'm not bashing it... But it doesn't seem like it would be in TC's price range.  It's expected to be a $299-$329 GPU.  

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

intel is a waste of money go amd and spend money on the real bread and butter of gaming and thats the gpu.

LordEC911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LordEC911
Member since 2004 • 9972 Posts

It is always better to spend more on a GPU than CPU.
http://anandtech.com/show/6985/choosing-a-gaming-cpu-at-1440p-adding-in-haswell-/5 

hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 hartsickdiscipl

intel is a waste of money go amd and spend money on the real bread and butter of gaming and thats the gpu.

osirisx3

I've owned CPUs from both companies.  AMD does make some decent products, no doubt.  However, the Sandy/Ivy Bridge and now Haswell are all better CPUs for most games than anything AMD has come out with recently.  You don't have to spend a fortune to get a good Intel chip.  

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

[QUOTE="osirisx3"]

hartsickdiscipl

I've owned CPUs from both companies.  AMD does make some decent products, no doubt.  However, the Sandy/Ivy Bridge and now Haswell are all better CPUs for most games than anything AMD has come out with recently.  You don't have to spend a fortune to get a good Intel chip.  

no you just need to spend noticeably more to get a good one

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="osirisx3"]

hartsickdiscipl

I would say I got about the same upgrade going from a 955 to an 8350 as you going from a 955 to a 3570.

pawq4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 pawq4
Member since 2013 • 448 Posts

You will not notice the differece betwen an AMD and intel processor. 

GummiRaccoon

This is not true. While in most games the difference between processors is negligible, there are quite a few games where Intel just blows AMD out of the water, such as Starcraft 2, Assassin's Creed 3, and Battlefield 3 Multiplayer, This might be different after next-gen consoles are released, but I doubt it. Also, [cough] emulators [/cough] run way better on intel.

hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hartsickdiscipl

[QUOTE="hartsickdiscipl"]

[QUOTE="osirisx3"]

GummiRaccoon

I would say I got about the same upgrade going from a 955 to an 8350 as you going from a 955 to a 3570.

I would say that I got a superior gaming upgrade, and you got a better upgrade for some other tasks.  That's based on the majority of tests and benches out there.  

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

hartsickdiscipl

I would say that I got a superior gaming upgrade, and you got a better upgrade for some other tasks.  That's based on the majority of tests and benches out there.  

Also my cpu was a drop in replacement.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

[QUOTE="osirisx3"]

GummiRaccoon

I pondered the same choices recently because I wanted a beefier CPU to tide me over until next year. In my case, I had to buy both (micro-ATX) motherboard and CPU. On the AMD side, an FX-8350 and ASUS motherboard cost me $270. An Intel i5-3570k with ASUS motherboard would've cost $340. If I was assembling a whole new PC, I could've applied that $70 towards a better video card.

I wasn't planning to buy a new video card right now. But, I chose the AMD option anyway. I should have them here tomorrow.

hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 hartsickdiscipl

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

GummiRaccoon

True, but my wouldn't have been.  I had an AM3 motherboard, not AM3+.  

dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts
For Gaming, stronger GPU is better. However personally I like to buy a strong CPU if I am making a new build, because I will end up upgrading the GPU in a couple of years anyway. By the time I want to upgrade the CPU, mobo and RAM need to be upgraded as well.
SalikSST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18 SalikSST
Member since 2011 • 261 Posts

As long as you play games at 1080p+all settings max cpu wont matter that much Intel or Amd only strong GPU will play important role but there are some games which rely on CPU processing power where Intel leads otherwise.

Forte123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Forte123
thanks everyone so many dif answers but are are helpful lol
Forte123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Forte123
thanks everyone so many dif answers but are are helpful lol
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
gpu is far far more important, any quad core cpu out there can pretty much max any games out there. Gimp on the gpu and your game might run horrible. A cheaper cpu and more expensive gpu will always give better gaming results.
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts

[QUOTE="osirisx3"]

hartsickdiscipl

And you probably won't even see the difference between that intel cpu that costs twice as much, the gpu on the other hand will make a big difference. AMD has more than enough juice for any game out there. Plus with next gen consoles using amd we my just see more optimization for amd. AMD chips are really good and unless you are doing video encoding you really don't need an i7.
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 hartsickdiscipl

[QUOTE="osirisx3"]

imprezawrx500

And you probably won't even see the difference between that intel cpu that costs twice as much, the gpu on the other hand will make a big difference. AMD has more than enough juice for any game out there. Plus with next gen consoles using amd we my just see more optimization for amd. AMD chips are really good and unless you are doing video encoding you really don't need an i7.

I guess you weren't paying attention.  My last CPU was a 3.7ghz Phenom II X4.  I haven't upgraded my GPU, and yet a saw a big performance increase in quite a few of my games, just by getting an Ivy Bridge i5.  Higher average FPS in most games, and better minimum FPS in all.  This is not even a debate.  

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="imprezawrx500"][QUOTE="hartsickdiscipl"]

hartsickdiscipl

I guess you weren't paying attention.  My last CPU was a 3.7ghz Phenom II X4.  I haven't upgraded my GPU, and yet a saw a big performance increase in quite a few of my games, just by getting an Ivy Bridge i5.  Higher average FPS in most games, and better minimum FPS in all.  This is not even a debate.  

But it is a debate captain kirk

hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hartsickdiscipl

[QUOTE="imprezawrx500"] And you probably won't even see the difference between that intel cpu that costs twice as much, the gpu on the other hand will make a big difference. AMD has more than enough juice for any game out there. Plus with next gen consoles using amd we my just see more optimization for amd. AMD chips are really good and unless you are doing video encoding you really don't need an i7. GummiRaccoon

No, it's not.  Having owned both products, I can tell you that there is no debate.  

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16517 Posts

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

hartsickdiscipl

True, but my wouldn't have been.  I had an AM3 motherboard, not AM3+.  

AMD is so dumb its not even funny.  The performance increase clock for clock over the old phenom II processors is very small if  anything.  They should have just released supped up phenom II octa cores on 32nm process and made it compatible with AM3. 

They shouldn't spend so much money on research if intel will destroy them either way.

The e-350 is a technical master piece, a cpu and a gpu strong enough to play alot of games at good settings into a piece of silicon the size of a penny.

PTMags

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 PTMags
Member since 2006 • 783 Posts

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

hartsickdiscipl

No, it's not.  Having owned both products, I can tell you that there is no debate.  

Derp.  How are you gonna compare a 3.7 P2x4 to a 4.5 3570k?  Of course you're going to get higher FPS.

OP: For a better comparison-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu8Sekdb-IE

hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 hartsickdiscipl

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

PTMags

Derp.  How are you gonna compare a 3.7 P2x4 to a 4.5 3570k?  Of course you're going to get higher FPS.

He was talking about an AMD CPU that was roughly half the price.  When I bought my 3570k, a Phenom II X4 955 or better was about half the price.  I'm not the one making the comparison anyways.  I know that there is no comparison.  Some people here are clearly trying to argue that.  Derp yourself.  

I watched that absolutely retarded TekSyndicate review months ago.  It's no more valid today than it was then.  Terrible testing methodology, bad game selection, and a total toolbag of a reviewer.  They came up with results that are different from 95% of other tests and reviews done.  It's not trustworthy.  

PTMags

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 PTMags
Member since 2006 • 783 Posts

[QUOTE="PTMags"]

hartsickdiscipl

He was talking about an AMD CPU that was roughly half the price.  When I bought my 3570k, a Phenom II X4 955 or better was about half the price.  I'm not the one making the comparison anyways.  I know that there is no comparison.  Some people here are clearly trying to argue that.  Derp yourself.  

I watched that absolutely retarded TekSyndicate review months ago.  It's no more valid today than it was then.  Terrible testing methodology, bad game selection, and a total toolbag of a reviewer.  They came up with results that are different from 95% of other tests and reviews done.  It's not trustworthy.  

First, I apologize for the derp, too much system wars.  Second, I don't think he was talking about your specific situation, as your post that he quoted didn't mention your upgrade from a 955 to a 3570.  I think he was making a general statement about buying a cheaper, modern cpu and better gpu versus a more expensive cpu but lesser gpu; and that, for example, you'd see a much more drastic improvement upgrading a gpu from 2009 versus a cpu from 2009.

As for the video, what's wrong with the game choice and methodology?  There's also this one using Crysis 3/FC3.  I know most benches give the 3570 a slight edge in most games, but I figured i'd post that because it's different.  If there really is something genuinely untrustworthy about it though then please let me know and by all means take it with a grain of salt.  In the end, the difference between the two is going to be marginal in the real world (with a single gpu setup at least), and for gaming, splurging on the gpu is going to make a much bigger difference than splurging on a cpu.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

hartsickdiscipl

But captain, debate doesn't mean in my anecdote it is a difference.