Looking to get back into Skyrim. Need mod recommendations.

#1 Edited by xxninja666xx (737 posts) -

As the title says, I'm going to play it for a while. The problem is, I find vanilla Skyrim to be, to say it gently, not much of an enjoyable experience. I need some mod recommendations from you. Here's what I'm looking for:

a) A mod for making the combat more difficult and demanding, but balanced at the same time (so basically, no OP'ing the enemies just for the sake of difficulty, but something "deeper")

b) Some mods adding armors that are realistic and practical, but lore-friendly at the same time (I know "lore-friendly" is a loose term and everybody perceives it differently, but try to think of something that could really be worn into battle and fits the Elder Scrolls theme in general). They also have to be spread around the level lists, as it adds to the believability.

c) Some mods adding more weapons fitting the theme. Also need to be spread around the level lists.

d) Some companion mods, that aren't just eyecandy, have some substance in them and don't require any additional body and/or texture mods to work properly.

e) (OPTIONAL) Some decent campaign and/or quest mods.

Last but not least: I want these mods to be available for download on Nexus. Also, I don't use any graphics mods apart from Skyrim Flora Overhaul (not even the official HD textures), so try recommending something that'll fit the quality of vanilla Skyrim and won't stand out with superiority of texture resolution and details. Also the thing worth mentioning is that I have Skyrim with all the content DLCs.

#2 Edited by thehig1 (6181 posts) -

@xxninja666xx:

There is a Mod that lets you give you companions more instructions, for example you can tell them to relax in a town for a while.

Followers can relax

If you want a completly different look to Skyrim, get the Tropical Mod, its makes the game look like FarCry

Tropical Overhaul

#3 Edited by xxninja666xx (737 posts) -

@thehig1 said:

There is a Mod that lets you give you companions more instructions, for example you can tell them to relax in a town for a while.

Followers can relax

That's a pretty interesting one. It's an update for a bigger mod, though. I'll search this one on my own.

@thehig1 said:

If you want a completly different look to Skyrim, get the Tropical Mod, its makes the game look like FarCry

Tropical Overhaul

This, on the other hand, is just dumb. Why would I want to turn Skyrim's tundra into a lush tropical forest, when I want everything to be as lore-friendly as possible?

#4 Posted by thehig1 (6181 posts) -

@xxninja666xx: because you can lol, I did it out of curoiusty the mod is actually really well done.

I found it funny seeing guards dressed like that on tropical conditions, it even changed the wildlife to tropical. Zebras, tigers etc.

It's worth installing it to screw about in for a bit and look round, I though some areas lpoked beautiful with that mod installed.

#5 Posted by 04dcarraher (22775 posts) -

Here are a few quick mods go to the Nexus site and look some more LINK

A. Deadly Dragons ,Combat Evolved

B. Immersive Armors

C. Immersive Weapons

D. Get the UFO mod and choosing followers is a personal taste some include all extra data most dont and will need other mods. Here is the Follower category

#6 Posted by Maroxad (14518 posts) -

Requiem is the best mod for Skyrim. It completley overhauls the game.

#7 Posted by xxninja666xx (737 posts) -

@04dcarraher:

That's more like it. I really like the Combat Evolved one from the description. Let's see how true is it in reality. As for the rest, I've been using them in the past and was satisfied, so these are also good recommendations. But I want more! Keep 'em flowin'!

#8 Posted by xxninja666xx (737 posts) -

@Maroxad said:

Requiem is the best mod for Skyrim. It completley overhauls the game.

I would've used it, but I also like to install all the petty mods that don't add much, but for some reason they are incompatible with complete game overhauls such as Requiem or Skyrim ReDone. Will consider it, though.

#9 Edited by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

magic duel is one of my favorites

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
#10 Edited by ShepardCommandr (4825 posts) -

All you need

#11 Posted by bussinrounds (2832 posts) -

I'm waiting for the guys that did Nehrim to finish this before I ever touch Skyrim (if I ever do), as that was the only reason to ever install that pos Oblivion.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/enderal/news/enderal-the-shards-of-order

#12 Posted by xxninja666xx (737 posts) -

I decided to follow Maroxad's idea and installed Requiem with a ton of other mods (I found it, to my own surprise, to be compatible with all my favourite ones). Have 15GBs of mods in total now and I love how the game turned out, Requiem is basically how I wanted Skyrim to be from the very beginning. Thanks, man, for recommending it.

#13 Edited by Xiaor (1386 posts) -

Everytime I see a post about Skyrim I want to jump back into it. I have a high end gaming laptop and dumped about 30-50 mods on Skyrim for visuals only. Looks incredible. Wish I had of not played it through on console first :S

#14 Posted by xxninja666xx (737 posts) -

@Xiaor said:

Everytime I see a post about Skyrim I want to jump back into it. I have a high end gaming laptop and dumped about 30-50 mods on Skyrim for visuals only. Looks incredible. Wish I had of not played it through on console first :S

Throw in some gameplay mods into it and you can play it once again. It's a completely different game when you put a right combination that changes the gameplay drastically.

#15 Posted by commonfate (13320 posts) -

http://www.skyrimgems.com/

#16 Posted by ferrari2001 (17760 posts) -

I was actually just about to jump back into skyrim today. I finally dwindled my mods down to about 70 or so. I was running around 100 mods, although it caused slight incompatibility issues. I have countless hours in the game and still haven't beat the main quest, I wonder if I ever will.

#17 Posted by xxninja666xx (737 posts) -

@ferrari2001 said:

I have countless hours in the game and still haven't beat the main quest, I wonder if I ever will.

If you value your gaming experience and pleasure from the game - don't. The main quest is a joke and probably the biggest middle finger to RPGs in history of mankind.

#18 Edited by illmatic87 (17932 posts) -

SkyUI, SKSE and the Unoffical Patches are probably your essentials. Bethesda should just patch them into the game.

Frostfall, Convenient Horses, Interesting NPCs, Audio Overhaul for Skyrim 2, AFT, ELFX, Wearable Lanterns (if you use an ENB), Wet & Cold and iNeed are probably my must have mods that I cannot see myself playing without.

I am a really big fan of Spell mods. Apocalypse, Forgotten Magic, Spectraverse, Revenge of Colette and Void Walker are the ones I have. Forgotten Magic is probably the best one as it doesnt just add spells, but it adds a few spells that progress levels themselves that you can branch them out to have different effects.

Most of my other mods are either quest mods, graphical mods, immersion mods and just little stuff that removes annoyances/flaws.

I prefer SkyRe over Requiem. It's alot more straightforward, but makes it more flexible to use for other mods so you can pick and choose abit more with other mods. But it makes using SkyRe more involving - needing a Bashed Patch and ASIS to make things meld together better.

#19 Edited by xxninja666xx (737 posts) -

@illmatic87 said:

I prefer SkyRe over Requiem. It's alot more straightforward, but makes it more flexible to use for other mods so you can pick and choose abit more with other mods. But it makes using SkyRe more involving - needing a Bashed Patch and ASIS to make things meld together better.

I think I can handle all the technical stuff involving modding. The question is - is it worth it? I already have the game installed with over 16GB of mods and it took me some time to do it correctly (around 5 or 6 hours) and while I don't necessarily like all the features in Requiem and would love a more Elder Scrolls-ey approach, rather than turning Skyrim into "Dark Souls of Baldur's Gate", I can't see myself going through all this shit again - running the game folder through TES5Edit and LOOT for the umpteenth time only to see that nothing has changed and the prison cart in the intro still flies and bounces around like crazy (a bug with file loading order).

#20 Edited by illmatic87 (17932 posts) -

It's not worth switching mid game. Let alone is it not recommended removing a large mod with an esp mid-playthrough. Maybe for another playthrough. But try not to get into a habit of spending more time on modding than actually playing lol.

SkyRe doesnt need anything if you're just using that by itself, but if you want to add other mods that add creatures, items, spells, armours. You'll need Wyre Bash, ReProccer and/or ASIS to delevel, restat and merge the leveled lists to balance stuff you put in to make the itemization and enemies blend in with the goals of the mod.

As for the prison cart bug, do you have the Touring Carraiges mod by any chance? if so, load that up after you finish the start sequence. Either way, I highly reccommend an Alternate Start Mod like Live Another Life or Unbound (which is in the Steam Workshop rather than the Nexus). I use Skyrim Unbound as it has the benefit of disabling the main quest (or even dragons) so that you arent forced into being Dragonborn all the time.

#21 Edited by xxninja666xx (737 posts) -

@illmatic87 said:

It's not worth switching mid game. Let alone is it not recommended removing a large mod with an esp mid-playthrough. Maybe for another playthrough. But try not to get into a habit of spending more time on modding than actually playing lol.

I'm not stupid. It's obvious I'd have to start a new playthrough and I'd gladly do so, since I'm not that far into the game (still in Riverwood, been to Bleak Falls Barrow, but had to return since the Draugr have been made impossible to kill on low levels). As for the habit - I kinda have it already. I spend hours copying, pasting, tweaking and looking for mods to make my Skyrim "perfect", but when everything is ready, I have to convince myself really hard to actually roll a character and start playing.

@illmatic87 said:

SkyRe doesnt need anything if you're just using that by itself, but if you want to add other mods that add creatures, items, spells, armours. You'll need Wyre Bash, ReProccer and/or ASIS to delevel, restat and merge the leveled lists to balance stuff you put in to make the itemization and enemies blend in with the goals of the mod.

Wait... leveled lists. Don't tell me SkyRe still has that crappy level scaling Vanilla had. That's the feature I want to get rid of the most because of the fights being way to easy and because quality-lacking loot until you reach certain level. Don't want it the Requiem way, though (look up the part where I mention the Draugr).

@illmatic87 said:

As for the prison cart bug, do you have the Touring Carraiges mod by any chance? if so, load that up after you finish the start sequence.

Nah, it has nothing to do with it. I don't have that mod installed anyway. It's a common bug regarding load order and happens whenever a vital part of one mod gets overwritten by a part of another mod because they were loaded in the wrong order.

@illmatic87 said:

Either way, I highly reccommend an Alternate Start Mod like Live Another Life or Unbound (which is in the Steam Workshop rather than the Nexus). I use Skyrim Unbound as it has the benefit of disabling the main quest (or even dragons) so that you arent forced into being Dragonborn all the time.

Don't mods like those ruin the main quest altogether? Unless the authors of those mods have found a way to logically implement it into the game in all of the beginnings without breaking immersion, I'm not convinced. In Morrowind it was way easier, as all of the dialogues were written and it was easy to alter them to your needs, but Skyrim has all of them voiced so I doubt it'd be done the proper way. And turning the main quest off? I know it's trash, but what's the point of the game if not becoming the Dragonborn? You can't live on radiant quests alone.

#22 Posted by illmatic87 (17932 posts) -

A Levelled list is a general term for a file within a mod that contains loot/enemy table that gives the game info to place enemies and items across ther game. SkyRe just has a tool (Called ReProccer) that is able to tweak these levelled lists (notably the items) to the values of SkyRe's complete rebalancing of its systems. Furthermore, it goes well in conjunction with a Bashed Patch (a combined levelled lists so that some things dont conflict). SkyRe comes with encounter zones which gets rid of level scaling (I think it adds a min and max), I havent tried the SkyRe Encounter Zones component of the mod as I use ASIS to remove the level scaling instead.

Skyrim Unbound lets you disable the Main quest, or play with it. But It gives you different/customizable starting conditions so that you can skip Helgen. I personally think it jogs ideas of what kind of character you want to play as, instead of being glorified as this eventual Dragonborn-Harbinger-Archmage-Master Thief-Vampire-Cannibal-Leader of the Dark-Brotherhood

#23 Posted by rabakill (884 posts) -

I had a mod that added human armies, mage armies and a mod that added way more dragons. In the main open area of the game you could see hundreds and hundreds of people in an army fighting dozens of dragons and it was just about the coolest thing I've ever seen in a videogame

#24 Edited by Byshop (18273 posts) -

@illmatic87 said:

SkyUI, SKSE and the Unoffical Patches are probably your essentials. Bethesda should just patch them into the game.

This. SkyUI might not have been included in the op's original mod criteria, but it's frankly a must-have for any Skyrim player. It completely overhauls the crappy inventory/menu screen by giving you item categories and a grid view that you can sort based on categories.

Also, any of the working "Unread Books Glow" mods are pretty critical IMHO.

-Byshop