Looking to enter the PC gaming world

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ubergusterfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 ubergusterfan
Member since 2007 • 83 Posts

I have been considering getting into PC gaming. I currently have (just about) every Sony console they've released, but I have been lamenting over some games that I just don't get to play, or that I can only barely play using the laptop I purchased for school over 5 years ago. Path of Exile is one of my favorite games of last year, but I can only play it by turning all the settings as far down as they will go, and even then the game stutters pretty significantly.

I want to get a gaming PC, one that can play PoE, along with Starcraft II, and the bevy of other games out there that look like so much fun (Civilization V, Skyrim, ESO) without having to turn the settings all the way to the bottom and still deal with stutter and lag. I have two problems, the first being I don't really know what I need to get, and second, I don't have a lot of the green ($$$).

I figured there are people out there smarter than me that can help. I'm smart enough to know that I could just go buy the most expensive Alienware computer and probably be ok, but I don't want to spend buku bucks, especially when I know a large part of what I'm paying is for the convenience of not having to think about it. So where do I start? What do I need? I'm looking to spend somewhere between $500 and $1,000, and obviously the cheaper the better. Also, I don't need to max out the settings, but at least have them somewhere in the middle and not have any lag.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

well there is a pretty big difference from $500 to $1000

Do you need a monitor and operating system as well ?. If not $700-800 is the sweet spot for a pc build that will play everything on high settings

Assimilat0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3  Edited By Assimilat0r
Member since 2011 • 767 Posts

Using 7 years old PC payed about 500 $ configuration, playing most of todays game, lately Diablo 3 , Company of Heroes 2 , Battlefield 4. and paying around 95 % PC games for like 5 $ per game on STEAM. Skip Alienware, and buy hardware parts by your self and make it, your PC will cost around 500-600 $. With configuration around 500-600 $ you will be cool for a half of decade or even more..

Welcome to our glorious PC master race,..

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

With a budget that wide you can do a lot. Build the PC its well worth it and its also fun imo...

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@adamosmaki said:

Do you need a monitor and operating system as well ?. If not $700-800 is the sweet spot for a pc build that will play everything on high settings

Agree, 1st answer on those questions, then we'll try to build you good gaming rig.

ubergusterfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ubergusterfan
@PredatorRules said:

@adamosmaki said:

Agree, 1st answer on those questions, then we'll try to build you good gaming rig.

I will need an OS, but not a monitor, I have a 32 inch HDTV that isn't getting used that I would like to use. A lot of the comments are in regards to building your own PC, which is kind of what I would like to do, But I wouldn't know where to begin, or even what to do when I have all the necessary parts, and using a you tube video to assemble a PC scares me a little.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@ubergusterfan said:
@PredatorRules said:

@adamosmaki said:

I will need an OS, but not a monitor, I have a 32 inch HDTV that isn't getting used that I would like to use. A lot of the comments are in regards to building your own PC, which is kind of what I would like to do, But I wouldn't know where to begin, or even what to do when I have all the necessary parts, and using a you tube video to assemble a PC scares me a little.

Building a PC isn't scary at all, you're going to be confused more than few times on your 1st build and you'll check back and forth vids on how to install things, but on your 3rd build you'll be building it on blind.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2KQZ6 I hope you'll like it =)

ubergusterfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ubergusterfan

@PredatorRules: That is awesome, thank you so much!

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#9 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

also where you from. North America or Europe ? North America Newegg is a great place for parts while in Europe usually amazon.uk or amazon .de are the cheapest

ubergusterfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ubergusterfan

@adamosmaki: I'm in the US, so I'm already pulling stuff up on new egg and a couple other sites, bargain shopping, basically.