Looking for your knowledge and opinions on gaming laptops. (long post)

#1 Posted by SOedipus (11442 posts) -

After much thought I have decided to go for a gaming laptop. I had planned to build a PC for awhile now but that is not possible at the moment or the foreseeable future. I live in an apartment with limited space and my wife has forbidden it :P Joking aside, I get where she is coming from and I respect her thoughts on it. I have been able to live overseas for awhile and she made sacrifices herself. It is what is it.

I currently have a laptop which was a piece of shit when I bought it five years ago, but is barely functional and crashes all the time now. I will be moving in the near future for work and I'll possibly be moving more than once, so I'm set on a gaming laptop. I had a PC awhile ago, but had to sell it because I was living overseas and it would be more expensive to bring it with me. I am so sick of gaming on my PS4. Not trying to start a system war but that's where I'm at. I want to get back into PC (laptop) gaming.

I do have several questions that I'm hoping could be answered, and perhaps you will share your personal experiences and opinions on dealing with gaming laptops.

1. Generally, how long will a good gaming laptop last (considering that it's well looked after)?

I have owned 3-4 laptops in my life and I find that they've lasted 4ish years. They were nothing special and were meant for school and I went with lower models. I don't know if I was very unlucky or if I was too rough with them. I don't want to believe it was the latter as I was mindful in being careful with them but I did take them with me between home and school every day so it's possible (but isn't that what they're meant for :P ?)

2. What is a good brand to look at? Or what brands should be avoided?

I have been looking at Asus and MSi mostly, because I am more familiar with them. And they seem to be the most popular when searching for gaming laptops.

3. Any recommendations on what sites to browse through to buy gaming laptops?

I am Canadian, but I'm willing to pay for the delivery fee from American sites, if it's reasonable enough and if support is available. I have been looking at newegg. I tried BestBuy but they don't offer anything that I was interested in.

I'm mainly concerned with the lifespan, and if buying warranty (which can be 400-500 $CAD) is worth it? Or if I should look at lower models. I have been looking at laptops with screen sizes 17.3'' and refresh rate of 144 Hz. They all seem to be 1080p and I'm just looking to game maxed out. Do I buy a model that doesn't cost as much that will last me a few years ($2000)? Do I fork out even more money and buy something beefier that will play games maxed (if possible) for years to come ($4000)?

For example, one of the laptops that I'm looking at is the "ASUS ROG G703GX Gaming Laptop"

Specs:

• NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB GDDR6
  • Intel Core i7-8750H Hexa-Core Processor
  • 17.3" 144 Hz 3 ms FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS Type display with NVIDIA G-SYNC
  • 16 GB DDR4 2666 MHz RAM, 512 GB PCIe SSD + 1 TB FireCuda, Windows 10 Pro
  • Gigabit 802.11ac Wi-Fi, Thunderbolt 3, Mini DisplayPort 1.3, HDMI 2.0
  • Upgraded HyperCool Pro cooling system with new dual 12V fans with Anti-Dust technology and ROG Overboost fan control
  • ASUS AURA SYNC RGB keyboard with individual per-key customization and 2.5mm key travel distance

They go from $3399-$4000. The warranty starts at $420, for 2 years. I'm looking for that assurance that it will last for several years. What are your thoughts and experiences?

*to mods: I couldn't find hardware forums. If this isn't in the right spot, please move where appropriate.

#2 Edited by BassMan (10163 posts) -

@SOedipus: The one that you are looking at is a high end laptop and commands a premium. It is overkill for 1080p, but the RTX 2080 will do well if you want to hook up the laptop to a 4K TV. It is a good buy if it is to be your primary PC. Also check on Amazon. They often have sales and I bought my Asus laptop from Amazon U.S. and got it shipped to Canada. It still ended up cheaper than what Amazon Canada had it listed for. Also, don't bother with the extended warranty. That shit is a scam. You will get a 1 year warranty and if shit goes down after that, just pay the repair costs.

#3 Posted by SOedipus (11442 posts) -

@BassMan: Thanks for the reply. I'm looking for overkill, something that will last me several years (if it will physically last that long). I also own a 4K television, so I could use that too. I didn't even think to look at Amazon. I don't know why lol, I'm a Prime member and I buy stuff from there all the time. I'll start looking there. I had my suspicions about the extended warranty. Thanks for clarifying on that.

#4 Posted by gcfreak898 (1991 posts) -

Check out www.cyberpowerpc.com

#5 Posted by Random_Matt (4115 posts) -

Gigagbyte Aero is probably best in my opinion.

#6 Posted by SOedipus (11442 posts) -

@gcfreak898 said:

I remember checking out sites like that and iBuyPower when I was comparing prices of their gaming computers to the parts I was going to buy to make mine. Their rigs were cheaper which made me highly suspicious. Do they use cheap parts for their products? Did you get something from there?

@Random_Matt said:

Why is that?

#7 Edited by Random_Matt (4115 posts) -
@SOedipus said:
@gcfreak898 said:

I remember checking out sites like that and iBuyPower when I was comparing prices of their gaming computers to the parts I was going to buy to make mine. Their rigs were cheaper which made me highly suspicious. Do they use cheap parts for their products? Did you get something from there?

@Random_Matt said:

Why is that?

Runs cool and usually a lot quieter then the competition. The one you highlighted hits 57 decibels.

Always check out the laptops in question within notebookcheck.net

#8 Posted by gcfreak898 (1991 posts) -

@SOedipus: I've bought a desktop rig from them and a laptop. If you are not wanting to build a PC or settle for expensive brand name laptops like ASUS, MSI, or Alienware. I highly recommend cyberpowerpc they don't use cheap parts. Just a competitive price with awesome technical support. Check them out.