After much thought I have decided to go for a gaming laptop. I had planned to build a PC for awhile now but that is not possible at the moment or the foreseeable future. I live in an apartment with limited space and my wife has forbidden it :P Joking aside, I get where she is coming from and I respect her thoughts on it. I have been able to live overseas for awhile and she made sacrifices herself. It is what is it.
I currently have a laptop which was a piece of shit when I bought it five years ago, but is barely functional and crashes all the time now. I will be moving in the near future for work and I'll possibly be moving more than once, so I'm set on a gaming laptop. I had a PC awhile ago, but had to sell it because I was living overseas and it would be more expensive to bring it with me. I am so sick of gaming on my PS4. Not trying to start a system war but that's where I'm at. I want to get back into PC (laptop) gaming.
I do have several questions that I'm hoping could be answered, and perhaps you will share your personal experiences and opinions on dealing with gaming laptops.
1. Generally, how long will a good gaming laptop last (considering that it's well looked after)?
I have owned 3-4 laptops in my life and I find that they've lasted 4ish years. They were nothing special and were meant for school and I went with lower models. I don't know if I was very unlucky or if I was too rough with them. I don't want to believe it was the latter as I was mindful in being careful with them but I did take them with me between home and school every day so it's possible (but isn't that what they're meant for :P ?)
2. What is a good brand to look at? Or what brands should be avoided?
I have been looking at Asus and MSi mostly, because I am more familiar with them. And they seem to be the most popular when searching for gaming laptops.
3. Any recommendations on what sites to browse through to buy gaming laptops?
I am Canadian, but I'm willing to pay for the delivery fee from American sites, if it's reasonable enough and if support is available. I have been looking at newegg. I tried BestBuy but they don't offer anything that I was interested in.
I'm mainly concerned with the lifespan, and if buying warranty (which can be 400-500 $CAD) is worth it? Or if I should look at lower models. I have been looking at laptops with screen sizes 17.3'' and refresh rate of 144 Hz. They all seem to be 1080p and I'm just looking to game maxed out. Do I buy a model that doesn't cost as much that will last me a few years ($2000)? Do I fork out even more money and buy something beefier that will play games maxed (if possible) for years to come ($4000)?
For example, one of the laptops that I'm looking at is the "ASUS ROG G703GX Gaming Laptop"
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB GDDR6
- Intel Core i7-8750H Hexa-Core Processor
- 17.3" 144 Hz 3 ms FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS Type display with NVIDIA G-SYNC
- 16 GB DDR4 2666 MHz RAM, 512 GB PCIe SSD + 1 TB FireCuda, Windows 10 Pro
- Gigabit 802.11ac Wi-Fi, Thunderbolt 3, Mini DisplayPort 1.3, HDMI 2.0
- Upgraded HyperCool Pro cooling system with new dual 12V fans with Anti-Dust technology and ROG Overboost fan control
- ASUS AURA SYNC RGB keyboard with individual per-key customization and 2.5mm key travel distance
They go from $3399-$4000. The warranty starts at $420, for 2 years. I'm looking for that assurance that it will last for several years. What are your thoughts and experiences?
*to mods: I couldn't find hardware forums. If this isn't in the right spot, please move where appropriate.