Looking for an MMORPG....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

elitegeek13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 elitegeek13
Member since 2007 • 636 Posts

I've played WoW for some time now, and i've found it doesn't quite fit my playing style. It's really just TOO deep for me. I don't have hours on end each day just to devote singularly to that game.

So....

I bought and still play Guild Wars.

It's good, however, it's WoW's polar opposite. It's really too shallow for me, there's now crafting system worth mentioning, and although leveling is fairly easy, the missions are repetitive.

I'm looking for a happy medium something with a fairly advanced crafting system, good skills, user friendly, and not extremely time consuming. I devote about about an hour and a half each day toward gaming. So far, Everquest, Dark age of Camelot, and Sword of the New world have been reccomended to me. I have the beta for SOTNW, and i'm not impressed. Can someone please describe these games, tell me if they are what I'm looking for, and/or reccomend a different game.

Thanks

BTW, I'd rather not go above 15 a month for subscription.

elitegeek13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 elitegeek13
Sorry for double posting, but i forgot to note that I'm not big on games with a load of grinding. I don't mind a moderate amount, but I can't stand it for hours on end.
cametall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 cametall
Member since 2003 • 7692 Posts

Sword of the New World is an absolute grind.

The other games are far more "deep" than WoW. Of all the pay-to-play MMOs WoW would be considered the most shallow of them. See if there is a trial for Lord of the Rings Online floating around somewhere. Maybe it is not that WoW is too deep but you need a different universe. It plays really similar to WoW.

EDIT: I forgot, City of Heroes is either getting or just received crafting and is a fun easy game to play.

ProudLarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 ProudLarry
Member since 2004 • 13511 Posts

You think WoW is to deep? I never thought I'd hear that complaint about it.

Well compared to most MMORPGs its a pretty shallow game to be honest, and one of the reasons that it is so popular is that there isn't actually that much of a grind to it compared to most other MMOGs.

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
Calling WoW too deep for you is selling yourself short. World of Warcraft is black-and-white. It's simple. There's nothing difficult at all about it. You buy your abilities (and it's obvious which ones are the best). Gear doesn't matter until you're 70. Just get what you get. Then at 70, get the best gear.
ywywyw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 ywywyw
Member since 2005 • 2297 Posts
id recommend city of heroes (or Villains) it is a fun game, but also, if u were to park ure character (in WoW) to a major city (or inn) like ironforge or something and go do something else for a day or do whatever u do for the week, then ure character will build up a pretty nice amount of rested exp, if u dont know what it is then let me explain: rested exp is when ure char goes into a major city or an inn and u log, ure characters exp bar will turn blue and the amount of exp is doubled by like 200% or something like that.
Sparticus247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Sparticus247
Member since 2005 • 2368 Posts

Actually, star wars galaxies is a great one for the kind of play that you are talking about, so I'd recommend that and buy the complete online adventure version for all the new things.

It's been rated as having one of the friendliest online mmropg communities out there, and it is pretty good since i have been playing it. People don't mind grouping and giing out advice. I don't even know how many times i have been given free stuff by other players, which is coo so I've been giving away a lot of my older stuff once i get something better. And there are a number of different specialty skill systems you can lvl up on.

gbarules2999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#8 gbarules2999
Member since 2006 • 390 Posts

I personally play Anarchy Online, which is a fun, free MMO in a sci fi setting. It's deep and will take some getting used to, but it's a WHOLE lot of fun, and without any payment there's no issue.

There are a whole lot of free MMO games out there, most of them being pretty similar to each other and WoW. Just go and search the free MMO sites on the net, and find one for your tastes.

Clovhis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Clovhis
Member since 2004 • 61 Posts

Rappelz.

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
LOTRO is really casual.
elitegeek13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 elitegeek13

The game itself was almost TOO big. I played a human mage, and after i ot out of the newbie area, all the quests i tried were insanely hard, even if I was in a party. I read some reviews and it seemed like there was nothing to do until players reached level forty. Ands until then, to me, the game seemed like just one massive grindfest.

I'm really just looking for something, i should say, not too deep, but more fast paced and not as much time commitment. It seemed to me that WoW is a huge time commitment with the slow leveling...

adamzur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 adamzur
Member since 2005 • 300 Posts
try silkroad .....
ShotGunBunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ShotGunBunny
Member since 2004 • 2184 Posts
Maybe you should play real RPG's? :)
mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mismajor99
Member since 2003 • 5671 Posts
Dungeon Runners just picked up some really good reviews over at 1up. Also coming this fall is Fury and of course Tabula Rasa for all of us Sci-fi folk. LOTRO is probably your best bet, since your done with WoW, for fantasy RPG.
elitegeek13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 elitegeek13
I guess i wouldn't really count WoW out, but I'm just looking for something more tailored to my needs.
andthrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 andthrax
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

I've played WoW for some time now, and i've found it doesn't quite fit my playing style. It's really just TOO deep for me. I don't have hours on end each day just to devote singularly to that game.

elitegeek13

i dont think you ment too deep but boring at low levels and that you have to play for hours on end to get anywhere in the game especially when you dont have a friend to power level or something like that

on another note dungeon runners is like diablo 2 as an mmo fun but nor real rpg elements more of a game where you just run arround looking for better equipment. it does have three play styles though spells close combat and ranged weapons

Andthrax

andthrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 andthrax
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

elitegeek13

i dont think you ment too deep but boring at low levels and that you have to play for hours on end to get anywhere in the game especially when you dont have a friend to power level or something like that

on another note dungeon runners is like diablo 2 as an mmo fun but nor real rpg elements more of a game where you just run arround looking for better equipment. it does have three play styles though spells close combat and ranged weapons

Andthrax

Eldublay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Eldublay
Member since 2006 • 981 Posts

If you think WoW, is deep...yea its very shallow comparing it to Vangurad, Evquest, ect.

But if you like guild wars wait for the next expansion to come out, or Guild Wars 2 (2008)

I played GW and bunch of other mmo's, if you want one that not gonna take alot of time i would stick to guild wars

linu1492

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 linu1492
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

If you won't to waste too much time you shuden't look for a rpg game like Wow.

maybe there are other "caual" mmo games. For example may be a sport (ffotball, racing..)mmo game could suit to you...

Sparticus247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Sparticus247
Member since 2005 • 2368 Posts

maybe there are other "caual" mmo games. For example may be a sport (ffotball, racing..)mmo game could suit to you...

linu1492

Football, racing, or other sport mmo games??

Is there even such a thing??

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
[QUOTE="linu1492"]

Sparticus247

There is soon: http://www.footballsuperstars.com/

Spoonoop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 Spoonoop
Member since 2004 • 178 Posts

Dark Age of Camelot is fun, and you can get to the max level in no time. The only problem is pvp. It's fun and unique, but it can also be boring and frustrating for newer lower ranked players.

xcryonicx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 xcryonicx
Member since 2006 • 1294 Posts
I'm still going to suggest EverQuest II. It's as casual perhaps slightly less, than WoW, has tons of great quests, great visuals, and a pretty active and helpful community. It's very similar to WoW in its quest based progression, but imo you have much more freedom. Games' big on PVE, and not so much focused on PVP, fyi. Plus you can play a free trial at trialoftheisle.com. Good luck
Itachi-Uchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Itachi-Uchi
Member since 2005 • 2471 Posts
I played Guild Wars for 1.5 years and then my friend (who also played GW) and I moved to WoW. We still play and raid together. It's fun and I can't think of paying for any other MMO.
elitegeek13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 elitegeek13

I guess its like this...(and thanks for all the help so far btw)

Dark age of camelot: I'm really excited about it and interested, but i heard that it had an extremely slow paced combat system and no one plays it anymore

LOTR online: Again, really interested, but i'm wondering about the level of time commitment

Everquest II: catches my eye, although i don't know much about it as a game

linu1492

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 linu1492
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I've seen a street football game: Kicks online. right now it's in closed beta
Dr-Strangelove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Dr-Strangelove
Member since 2005 • 811 Posts

I figured I'd ask my question here as opposed to starting a new thread.

Was wondering if anyone knew about an MMO like the original Everquest? Recently started longing for the days when it first came out and how hard it was. I've game hopped to a few newer ones that don't hold my attention, like CoH, WoW, SWG etc.

I know it's yet another recommendation question but I've had no luck finding one on my own so far

Skullheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 Skullheart
Member since 2006 • 2054 Posts

So....

I bought and still play Guild Wars.

It's good, however, it's WoW's polar opposite. It's really too shallow for me, there's now crafting system worth mentioning, and although leveling is fairly easy, the missions are repetitive.

I'm looking for a happy medium something with a fairly advanced crafting system, good skills, user friendly, and not extremely time consuming. I devote about about an hour and a half each day toward gaming. So far, Everquest, Dark age of Camelot, and Sword of the New world have been reccomended to me. I have the beta for SOTNW, and i'm not impressed. Can someone please describe these games, tell me if they are what I'm looking for, and/or reccomend a different game.

Thanks

BTW, I'd rather not go above 15 a month for subscription.

elitegeek13

Truthfully, there is no good MMORPG out right now besides for World of Warcraft. This year, has definitelysucked in that category. Wait until Warhammer Online comes out (and about that time, all the other interesting ones will hit the market too).

CLAPPERDUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 CLAPPERDUDE
Member since 2003 • 81 Posts
[QUOTE="linu1492"]

Sparticus247

a sport game i know of is shot online ('mmo' golf game)

kazzu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 kazzu
Member since 2005 • 1659 Posts
its not an mmorpg, but Gunz Online is my fav game. its hugely skill based, and i enjoy it very much. http://gunz.ijji.com/
docmongo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 docmongo21
Member since 2003 • 293 Posts

im looking to start a new mmo as well. im thinking about city of heros or star wars galaxies. any advice?

AppleSnowMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 AppleSnowMan
Member since 2005 • 27 Posts
Well lets see....CoH is great. D&D Online has come a long way too...I was a bit dissapointed in it a t first, but it finally has its legs under it now and has some great quests, stories etc...not the mindlessly easy stuff like in WoW and others. I totally despise the new LOTR game, I wasted a ton of time on the Beta that I wish I could get back. CoV is great too. Of course Guild Wars. Other than those your options are kinda limited. SWG, the EverQuest series etc... appeal to some, but I would not recomend them.
RipStrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 RipStrike
Member since 2003 • 61 Posts
I've played all the MMOs listed here, and then looked for more, and then more, and then turned the internet upside down just in case some more existed without me knowing.From the vauge description you gave... well... I have bad news for you. No such game exists. It sounds like you're looking for a rich, multifaceted game that's as grind-free as guild wars.The only game that remotely resembles something like this MIGHT be some future MMO. Darkfall looks promising. Still, if you're curious and can't take my word for it to just give up and wait, go ahead and try 20 more games until you realize that there's nothing to choose from right now that isn't some flavor of grindfest.
blackjack1425

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 blackjack1425
Member since 2007 • 57 Posts
wait for warhammer online it looks awesome.
Avatar image for 00ooPolarisoo00
00ooPolarisoo00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 00ooPolarisoo00
Member since 2005 • 3227 Posts
i suggest Dungeons and Dragons until Age of Conan comes out