Looking For a New PC Strategy Game

This topic is locked from further discussion.

00d986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 00d986
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

Well... summer is coming up and I'm looking for a new game to keep me entertained. My favorite game genre is strategy. I also like simulation type games. Just so you can kind of get a feel for what type of games I like, here is a list of my favorites and why I like them.

1. Starcraft 2: Very fun RTS.

2. Skyrim: Love the open world and character building aspects.

3. Minecraft: I eventually got sick of this game but I really liked the freedom and creativity of it.

4. Civilization V: I was hesitant to put this one down because I think that it is too simple. I get kinda bored with it.

5. Rome Total War: Love the Campaign map strategy and the RTS strategy however, I can't stand the awful diplomacy.

Ok, so know that you know what type of gamer I am, let me tell you what I'm looking for. I am wanting a strategy multiplayer game that involves leveling up. I've considered LeagueOfLegends but I wish that the levels you gained would carry over to other games. Please don't mention browser based games or games like Kingdoms of Camelot. Oh ya, I also LOVE player based economies. I tried playing EVE Online and I thought it was interesting but the spreadsheets started to bore me; I like hands on things. Anyways, if you know of any games that fit one or more of these aspects please let me know what they are.

psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 psn8214
Member since 2009 • 14930 Posts

I've been playing Sins of a Solar Empire. It's a lot of fun. Very large scale and neat setting. I'd give it a look.

Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts

Im in the RTS mood myself. Ive been buying up new strategy games like crazy have a few I could recommend:

1. Company of Heroes 2: Releases June 25th - I played the beta and loved this game SO much. If theres any game you should invest in its this one. Go to GMG and get it for $45 using the 25% off code. Its going to packed with content too.

2. Wargame Airland Battle: I just bought this and havent played it but its from a very good dev. They constantly support their games and hand out lots of free DLC. It also features a dynamic campaign across a campaign map. It looks kind of like the campaign map from the Total War series MINUS the diplomacy and econ management. Its basically a big military campaign and Im glad for that. 

3. Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes - This is more along the lines of Civ V. Its by Stardock and is very similar to Civ V in how it plays. You customize and start a game and then try to dominate the map. Its randomly generated and the visuals are nice. I dont own this game but have been researching it a lot. Still considering buying it but Im waiting for more reviews. lol. 

4. XCOM: Enemy Unknown: Good mix of TBS and management. I own this. Cant wait to play it. 

5. Some old games include: Supreme Commander, Starcraft 2, Anno 2070 (city builder), Tropico 4 (also a city builder), Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion (4x RTS game), Shogun 2 Total War/Fall of the Samurai and more. Ill add if you want to refine what you want again. 

00d986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 00d986
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Fallen Enchantress looks interesting and I'm thinking about downloading Sins of a Solar Empire demo. Does anyone know of any strategic leveling games? That's what I'm really interested in.
meatgrinderz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 meatgrinderz
Member since 2010 • 1329 Posts

Fallen Enchantress looks interesting and I'm thinking about downloading Sins of a Solar Empire demo. Does anyone know of any strategic leveling games? That's what I'm really interested in. 00d986

Fallen Enchantress is awesome and addictive and I'm not really into many strategy games with a few exceptions. 

Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Gamesterpheonix
Id like for people to continue making suggestions lol. If you dont mind. Cant get enough right now. Thanks.
Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts
XCom, Surpreme Commander 2, or Dawn of War 2 box set. I loved all of these strategy games.
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#8 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

XCOM: Enemy Unknown caught me off guard with how fun it was, and I generally don't get too involved with the strategy genre.

Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Gamesterpheonix
XCom, Surpreme Commander 2, or Dawn of War 2 box set. I loved all of these strategy games.Arthas045
I own SupCom 2 but never had the will power to play it since everyone said the SP was weak and the MP was dead. Im sure it has all the great elements SupCom 1 had but I havent been keep on trying to enjoy it.
Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

The Dawn of War games are pretty damn amazing. Xcom Enemy Unknown is also an amazing game and Xenonauts (early access) just came out on steam.

Alondrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Alondrix
Member since 2010 • 38 Posts
Check out the Spellforce or King's Bounty series. They are both a RTS and RPG in one and should eat up a lot of time.
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Gamesterpheonix
Spellforce 2 is alright. If you have Windows 7 you're going to have to do some tweaking to get it to run properly or at least to get it to run and look good. Kings Bounty is hard. I dont know how to kick ass in it. Its just so unforgiving. I understand that hard is good but damn. For such a nice looking game with such nice features and content...you would think they would let you progress a bit more easily...I had fun til I got stuck...
Alondrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Alondrix
Member since 2010 • 38 Posts

Both are on Good Old Games (GoG) and should support both Windows 7 & 8. Steam has these too, but they do not list Win 7/8. I'd go with GoG if I had to choose between the two for compatibility.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#14 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

- Sins Of A Solar Empire (latest one is good deal)

- Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes (underrated)

- Anno 2070

- Total War Shogun II

- Sim City

- Starcraft II expansion (liked it alot more than the first campaign).

- Tropico 4

- Kings Bounty series

- Xcom series

- Company Of Heroes 2

- World In Conflict

- Sang Froid (More of a mix of strategy and tower defense)

Still enjoying those personally. If you want to go more old school (not so new), can list a whole ton (Dune2, Red Alert,etc..), but those ones above are the ones ive liked the last few years.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#15 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Company of Heroes 2 or Rome 2: Total War.
Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Crusader Kings 2 is by far my favorite grand stategy game at the moment. It's a kingdom simulator. It has so much DLC(The Old Gods is a must) that it will keep you occupied for months.

Prexxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Prexxus
Member since 2003 • 1443 Posts

Anno 2070. Fallen Enchantress. These will keep you busy for a while.

Oh and Ogre Battle 64!

strategyfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#18 strategyfn
Member since 2012 • 1176 Posts

Crusader Kings 2 is by far my favorite grand stategy game at the moment. It's a kingdom simulator. It has so much DLC(The Old Gods is a must) that it will keep you occupied for months.

airshocker

Yes I know, I am having fun with CKII; I dusted the game off after not playing it for several months. The new update really improved the technology mode. Do not quote me on this, but it seems like some events were also added with the update.

I was also going to advise CK II to the TC, but it didn't seem to meet his requirements. Although TC does mention Civilization 5, and CK II does have some similarities with that.

I've been meaning to perfect my A-10 game skills and I recently bought X3 bundle, but over the last two days all I have been playing is CK II with its great update.

sethman410

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 sethman410
Member since 2008 • 2967 Posts
Pre-order Rome 2: total war!! Coming out September 3rd. Or Company of heroes 2 which is coming out in a few weeks.
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Gamesterpheonix
Okay...Im freakin buying Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes.
lightingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 lightingbird
Member since 2004 • 143 Posts

I'm dying to try out a new RTS.  I've tired so many and curretnly I'm gameless.  Can't seem to find anything I enjoy.  Here is my list of games tried, played, and considered:

- Sins Of A Solar Empire - Played it and found it shallow and just not enough spaceship management for me.

- Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes - Graphics chased me away.

- Anno 2070 - Looks great but I wanted more combat. I never really gave it a full chance.

- Total War Shogun II - Great games but for some reason I can never get into these.

- Sim City - Never really got into it sadly

- Starcraft II - Great game but I have played it too much and I don't care much for the swarm expansion.

- Tropico 4 - Never played it, looks uninteresting.

- Kings Bounty series - Actually got this recnetly and didn't care for it. Seemed blocky and no real flavor.

- XCOM: Enemy Unknown - Great damn game but once I finally beat it, I lost all my desire to play it again.

- Company Of Heroes - Amazing game but just can't get into it anymore. I'm hoping the next one will be nice.

- World In Conflict - Another fun game but once beat, I have no more desire to play it.

- Sang Froid - Hmm never heard of this.

- Wargame Airland Battle - Eh just looks odd and not very exciting. Never tried it.

- Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes - I've heard this is a great game but I when I tried it the graphics killed me. It just looked horrible. I don't know, maybe I should have gave it a longer chance.

- Civilization V - Great game. I play it every once in awhile.

James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 James00715
Member since 2003 • 2484 Posts

It's a few years old now, but I had a lot of fun with Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes. It's kind of a puzzle game with strategy and RPG elements. It's very different from a typical strategy or RPG game, so I found it pretty refreshing. The game is not very long, so it ends before it becomes boring.

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#23 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

King Arthur The Roleplaying Wargame
Crusader Kings 2
X: COM EU
Dawn of War 2

The Kickstarter game that just came out Expeditions: Conquistador looks good.

If you are ok with older games

Jagged Alliance 2
X:COM

Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Gamesterpheonix
I just started playing Wargame and I have to say, I really freaking like it. I havent played it enough to review it but it is SO much better than the first game. Its faster paced and more explosive than the first. You also get the dynamic campaign and much larger multiplayer. The new interface is also nice and the game is really zippy. Everything loads really really fast. Its like playing a total war game without all the econ and diplomacy management. You also get to call in more battle groups and other supply drops onto the campaign maps. Strictly a military campaign and its great. Cant wait to dive into the multiplayer.
Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25 Calvin079
Member since 2008 • 16406 Posts

Stronghold Crusaderor Stronghold Crusader Extreme, and the Command & Conquer series if you're heavily into RTSs.

xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26 xsubtownerx
Member since 2007 • 10705 Posts

Company of Heroes 2 is coming out soon. Very addictive RTS game. Well, the first one was so I can only assume the second one will be as well.