Looking for a Action RPG

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mintree6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Mintree6
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Hello everyone, this will be my first post. For some time i have been looking for a role playing game with a very good combat system and not just a click and go game. Games that is similar to what im looking for can be Oblivion ( although in my opinion the combat seemed a bit dull), Fallout 3 (i enjoyed this game very much with DLCs and mods). Another factor im looking for it has a very open world. So the story is not so linear.\ The kind of action im looking for is more complicated than some mmorpg type with just a few clicks there and hit some hot keys. For some reason im having trouble typing what kind of game im wanting (haha) Although im a more fan of Medieval setting in a rpg but any will do as long it had very strong combat system. Sorry if this doesn't make much sense
ProudLarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 ProudLarry
Member since 2004 • 13511 Posts

I think most people would reserve the name Action RPG for click fests like Diablo or Torchlight.

But if you're looking for stuff like Oblivion then I'd say look into Arx Fatalis, Gothic 3, Risen, or The Witcher.

ultimakay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ultimakay
Member since 2006 • 553 Posts

Just FYI the witcher directors cut extended edition is available on steam for $13.59 on sale from $40. This goes through the 3rd and a ton of other games are also on sale from steam as well.

Mintree6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Mintree6
EDIT Forgot to post what i already played Gothic 3 Fallout 3 Oblivion Morrowind Borderlands Diablo 2 Mount and Blade Risen Mass Effect, really enjoyed this Dark Messiah a whole bunch more but just cant think of anymore The Witcher seems like a game im wanting but more suggestions would be nice PS i only have a PC for gaming so only PC games please
zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 zomglolcats
Member since 2008 • 4335 Posts
You could try Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. I know you said you don't want a point and click type game, but if you did like Diablo 2, check out Torchlight and Titan Quest.
Mintree6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Mintree6
So many replies as i edit my posts I have tried torchlight, seems almost the same as Diablo 2 Titan quest i thought of it...but is it also like diablo 2? Thank you all for your replies I was interested in a PS3 exclusive Demon's Soul any news if it might come to the PC?
zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 zomglolcats
[QUOTE="Mintree6"]So many replies as i edit my posts I have tried torchlight, seems almost the same as Diablo 2 Titan quest i thought of it...but is it also like diablo 2? Thank you all for your replies

Titan Quest is also like Diablo 2... but, not quite a direct clone like Torchlight. It's unique enough on it's own. However, it still is essentially a Diablo point and click hack and slash.
zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 zomglolcats
[QUOTE="unclejohnny79"][QUOTE="Mintree6"]So many replies as i edit my posts I have tried torchlight, seems almost the same as Diablo 2 Titan quest i thought of it...but is it also like diablo 2? Thank you all for your replies I was interested in a PS3 exclusive Demon's Soul any news if it might come to the PC?

well i think sony published it in japan, so i wouldnt think so

Yeah even without any official word from Sony, I can guarantee you there is absolutely zero chance of Demon's Soul coming to PC. You'd have better odds of having Metal Gear Solid 4 on PC imo.
Mintree6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Mintree6
darn, and it pleased me in my catergory of an action RPG How about FPSRPG hybrids? I'm not saying it has to be first person but maybe more suggestions will come up. I am playing the STALKER SERIES not enjoying it much though.
zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 zomglolcats
[QUOTE="Mintree6"]darn, and it pleased me in my catergory of an action RPG How about FPSRPG hybrids? I'm not saying it has to be first person but maybe more suggestions will come up. I am playing the STALKER SERIES not enjoying it much though.

Well Deus Ex is supposed to be good. But its pretty old, so it depends on if you can handle dated visuals.
Mintree6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Mintree6
To be honest i dont like playing games with old graphics but if its really that great as everyone says i might try it out.
lespaul1919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lespaul1919
Member since 2003 • 7074 Posts

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 zomglolcats

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

lespaul1919
He's playing that and not enjoying it.
psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 psn8214
Member since 2009 • 14930 Posts

Get Mass Effect!

Mintree6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Mintree6
currently playing STALKER like he said and mass effect i have already played i really liked it, waiting for mass effect 2
psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 psn8214
Member since 2009 • 14930 Posts

waiting for mass effect 2Mintree6

Me too man, me too...

zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 zomglolcats
Since you haven't played the Witcher according to your above post, I would definitely try that. The combat isn't really deep at all, but seems more like what you are looking for.
pecanin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 pecanin
Member since 2008 • 863 Posts
[QUOTE="Mintree6"]Hello everyone, this will be my first post. For some time i have been looking for a role playing game with a very good combat system and not just a click and go game. Games that is similar to what im looking for can be Oblivion ( although in my opinion the combat seemed a bit dull), Fallout 3 (i enjoyed this game very much with DLCs and mods). Another factor im looking for it has a very open world. So the story is not so linear.\ The kind of action im looking for is more complicated than some mmorpg type with just a few clicks there and hit some hot keys. For some reason im having trouble typing what kind of game im wanting (haha) Although im a more fan of Medieval setting in a rpg but any will do as long it had very strong combat system. Sorry if this doesn't make much sense

Gothic Gothic 2 medieval setting (kind of) open ended (sort of) Ahriman's Prophecy (freeware) Lot's of freeware games out there remakes or similar to FF series
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
Sacred.
LordAinav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LordAinav
Member since 2007 • 227 Posts

Get The Witcher EE, diablo like combat but with deep and satisfying storyline.

sihunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 sihunt
Member since 2007 • 1116 Posts

Hi I would suggest you download the demo to Two Worlds. The visuals

in that game are similar to Oblivion and there is a fairly large world to

explore. The combat is pretty clicky however. Another game that looks

good is Titan Quest. It is very much like Diablo II. As others have posted,

Sacred and Gothic II might be worth looking into. The Witcher is a great

game also, but I didn't like the combat system. The wolves kept biting me

in the bum.

Mintree6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Mintree6
beh played two worlds before, too simple for me, is gothic 2 like gothic 3? if it is im not interested and sacred isnt that like diablo as well? As in click and go
siddarthshetty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 siddarthshetty
Member since 2008 • 9463 Posts

U should try Fable..i'm sure tat u will like it

Lemonio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Lemonio
Member since 2006 • 513 Posts

if you want intense combat in a medieval setting definetly go for dark messiah of might and magic

awesome combat system

but the story sucks

if want an rpg with good story you could get the witcher on sale on steam

NoctisCaelum52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 NoctisCaelum52
Member since 2009 • 1359 Posts

Get Mass Effect!

psn8214
This and Fallout 3 GOTY.
siddarthshetty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 siddarthshetty
Member since 2008 • 9463 Posts
[QUOTE="psn8214"]

Get Mass Effect!

NoctisCaelum52
This and Fallout 3 GOTY.

He told he played ME and fallout 3 in 4th post...
NoctisCaelum52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 NoctisCaelum52
[QUOTE="siddarthshetty"] He told he played ME and fallout 3 in 4th post...

Oops my bad. Ok try Fable : The Lost Chapters.
Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts

Well Sacred is very Good if you have a powerful PC. Also Titan Quest is nice, tho linear.

NoctisCaelum52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 NoctisCaelum52

Well Sacred is very Good if you have a powerful PC. Also Titan Quest is nice, tho linear.

Crimsader
You mean Sacred 2 ?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 29121994
Member since 2008 • 1166 Posts

try borderlands, great game really.

Bigsteve3570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Bigsteve3570
Member since 2009 • 975 Posts
Divinity 2 and Risen are both action RPGs that have been released recently. (Divinity I think still won't be released in the US for a few days, no?). I'm playing Risen right now and I can say it is a very good change in pace from Dragon Age (Great game too) and reminds me much of Gothic 3. Divinity 2 I've heard is a good game too. Take yer pick!
NLahren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#34 NLahren
Member since 2009 • 1927 Posts
mass effect
Mintree6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Mintree6
Thank you for all your replies, sadly i played most of them already ( Fable, mass effect, fallout 3 GOTY,dark messiah) I liked dark messiah combat system but i already have finished through it and also the story is linear. Fable, it was really not that great i never finished it nor i plan to. Fallout 3 i played the main mission through but never went through all the DLCS. I played with some mods. Mass effect finished a month ago, its fun but after you beat it....not so fun anymore So far The Witcher got my attention and maybe Sacred 2 and Titan quest but i believe they are like the point and click, hack and slash, such as diablo 2. Dont get me wrong, im sure they are very fun. ( i enjoyed diablo 2 alot back in the days) just not a fan of the point and click types. Thank you once again Something i should you guys know, my PC is not that great by specs, so the newer games i might not be able to play. Intel core duo 1.86ghz Ram of 2gb ATI Raedeon HD 3600 512mb My processor is a bit weak so keep that in mind
lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts
go play NoX
Mintree6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Mintree6
go play NoXlordlors
Haha i loved that game, it was like my first RPG game
sihunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 sihunt
Member since 2007 • 1116 Posts

Hi OP Looks like you are in the same boat that a lot of RPG players are in.

How about a game such as Arcanum: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/arcanumofsteamworksamo/index.html?tag=result;title;0

I never played it but I have seen it mentioned by posters here and there. Also how about Arx Fatalis:http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/arxfatalis/index.html?tag=result;title;0

These games have some age to them but it looks like you have checked out all the recent games. Also the US demo for Divinity 2 was just

released so maybe give that a try.

zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 zomglolcats
To the OP, yes Sacred is another Diablo-esque game. Though honestly Torchlight and Titan Quest are a lot better imo if you're going to be buying something like that. I also say check out Risen. I tried the demo and it's a really good game. I plan on getting it eventually.
rmfd341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#40 rmfd341
Member since 2008 • 3808 Posts
Since you haven't played the Witcher according to your above post, I would definitely try that. The combat isn't really deep at all, but seems more like what you are looking for.zomglolcats
It doesn't need to be deep at all, it's perfect already.
zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 zomglolcats
[QUOTE="zomglolcats"]Since you haven't played the Witcher according to your above post, I would definitely try that. The combat isn't really deep at all, but seems more like what you are looking for.rmfd341

I know, but he said he wanted something a bit more sophisticated in the combat, rather than just clicking and hotkeys. That's pretty much the combat in the Witcher, but he'll be hard pressed to find something amazing in the combat area.
Mintree6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Mintree6
[QUOTE="rmfd341"][QUOTE="zomglolcats"]Since you haven't played the Witcher according to your above post, I would definitely try that. The combat isn't really deep at all, but seems more like what you are looking for.zomglolcats

I know, but he said he wanted something a bit more sophisticated in the combat, rather than just clicking and hotkeys. That's pretty much the combat in the Witcher, but he'll be hard pressed to find something amazing in the combat area.

Really? i thought it was more than that, it was known for its good combat system was it not?
flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
+1 for Arx Fatalis. Also, try KOTOR, Jade Empire or Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines if you haven't played them. As for The Witcher's combat, it was more known for being different. 'Good' is debatable I believe it was the story and setting that made the game great.
gussu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 gussu
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

I suggest you go for Jade Empire, trust me it has a nice combat system with all the different martial styles you can use during combat, also some enemies fall quicker to some styles, are immune to some, and so on... The story is also nice and the visuals run pretty well on lower end systems. Its not totally open ended, it follows the main quest but I think it would be worth a shot, don't know if there isa demo for it, but try it nonetheless... You should also try Dragon Age Origins...

Lemonio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Lemonio
Member since 2006 • 513 Posts

everyone...kotor and dragon age aren't really action rpgs...

action rpgs aren't turnbased

if we go for turnbased games though, definetly go for kotor

gussu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 gussu
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

If you want detailed turn based games then Kings Bounty is a nice one... As far as action RPGs go why not try Divinity 2 which is due for release soon. I played the demo and liked it. You can also try the demo and see if it matches your tastes

zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 zomglolcats
[QUOTE="Mintree6"][QUOTE="zomglolcats"][QUOTE="rmfd341"] It doesn't need to be deep at all, it's perfect already.

Really? i thought it was more than that, it was known for its good combat system was it not?

I don't know. I've heard people complain about the combat. Really though, other than the stances, it's pretty much just clicking. Not really any more in depth than any other combat system.