Lol @ civilization 5 art assets

This topic is locked from further discussion.

madmenno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#1 madmenno
Member since 2004 • 1528 Posts

I found this on the boards of civfanatics it pretty much shocked me how they created a ton of there assets. Do you think it's lame or just very clever and creative in another way?

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422219

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

Wow, people seriously claim a vintage microphone pic is the source of the Radio icon. What's more likely, that Firaxis flipped the original, added wires and a new stand or that they looked at one of the billion similar microphones as inspiration?

Most of the icons are incredibly generic. That entire forum assumes Firaxis stole everything. Including the shape of a cut diamond. How do they know they weren't licensed? You can buy stuff like that for peanuts.

It reminds me of people claiming that Stalker stole Doom 3 and HL2 textures, when in fact all three developers licensed them from the same company.

True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#3 True_Sounds
Member since 2009 • 2915 Posts

Wow, people seriously claim a vintage microphone pic is the source of the Radio icon. What's more likely, that Firaxis flipped the original, added wires and a new stand or that they looked at one of the billion similar microphones as inspiration?

Most of the icons are incredibly generic. That entire forum assumes Firaxis stole everything. Including the shape of a cut diamond. How do they know they weren't licensed? You can buy stuff like that for peanuts.

It reminds me of people claiming that Stalker stole Doom 3 and HL2 textures, when in fact all three developers licensed them from the same company.

Baranga

If you read past the first page you'll see alot are obvious copies.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Baranga
I don't know. Literally dozens and dozens and dozens of the game's icon art is ripped straight from the first results of Google Images, cut, and then simply had a filter applied. What it comes down to, it's simply not how it's supposed to be done. Anybody can just rip off images of Google and edit them. If you're editing images that aren't yours and selling them for money, that's illegal.
madmenno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#6 madmenno
Member since 2004 • 1528 Posts
Well it is not ripped, at least we can expect that they bought it and edited it. But most of these are just too obvious and that is why it leaked. I btw vote always for less money to art and more to gameplay design, but this is ridiculous :D.
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts
Who had the time to google the images used in Civ 5? Seriously, who does that?