List of Games not Working on Vista

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DiabeticDood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

User Lists: 0

#1 DiabeticDood
Member since 2005 • 4331 Posts
Anyone know of a legit list of games that do not work on Vista?
Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts
rule #1 of PC gaming: if it doesn't work on someone's computer, it will work on someone else's computer, even if their specs are identical.
Lilgunney612

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 Lilgunney612
Member since 2005 • 1878 Posts
so far every game i own works on vista.
GulliverJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GulliverJr
Member since 2005 • 552 Posts

As indicated above, there will always be someone who wades in and says that they have games on this list working on their Vista rig, but it will serve as an entering point:

Wiki List

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#5 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts
Dual boot, than you will never have any worries. xp and vista are both needed... some games run much faster in xp, crysis for example, 64 bit crysis runs about 40 fps on high on my xp, but... 64 bit crysis runs 20 fps on 64 bit vista.... Most likely to blame is the drivers not running properly in 64 bit vista i guess??
kaskus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 kaskus
Member since 2007 • 717 Posts

as you know, vista is supposedly incompatible with a lot of games, here are a few steps

1. right click the icon for the game on the desktop and click properties

2. click compatibility

3. check run this program as administrator

4. click run this program in the compatilbility mode of Windows XP SP2

5. click apply and then okay

6. now you can run the game, it takes a couple times to get all the programs allowed through the firewall, and if you log in and it sticks at connecting, alt tab and see if there's a thing you need to allow, if so, allow it.

Hope this solves your problem

themovi3nut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 themovi3nut
Member since 2007 • 946 Posts
Battlefield 1942 (+ Expansions) & Battlefield Vietnam. I can't adjust most of the settings and the targeting rectile doesn't show up for your main and secondary weapon.
DiabeticDood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DiabeticDood
The reason I'm asking is because I can't get any BiA games to work. I've tried everything.
onehung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 onehung
Member since 2003 • 2607 Posts
I can pull a handful of games out of that list that works perfectly on my 32 bit Vista System.
Dan3721

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 Dan3721
Member since 2008 • 58 Posts
WoW hasnt worked on Vista.. which is like taking away my blood...
skyyfox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#11 skyyfox1
Member since 2003 • 13015 Posts

WoW hasnt worked on Vista.. which is like taking away my blood...Dan3721

dude.. WoW works on vista!!!!!

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts

rule #1 of PC gaming: if it doesn't work on someone's computer, it will work on someone else's computer, even if their specs are identical.Hewkii

Exactly. For example no Punkbuster game doesn't want to work on my PC. Not even Call of Duty 4 online and it's brand new.

DiabeticDood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DiabeticDood

[QUOTE="Dan3721"]WoW hasnt worked on Vista.. which is like taking away my blood...skyyfox1

dude.. WoW works on vista!!!!!

Ya it does... I was just playing it like 1 minute ago...

newyorkgiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 newyorkgiant
Member since 2008 • 133 Posts
I've heard empire earth 3 doesn't work on vista.
stevev87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 stevev87
Member since 2007 • 190 Posts

so far every game i own works on vista.Lilgunney612

Same, the only one i had a slight problem with was UT2k4 so changed the compatibility mode and now works flawlessly

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 RK-Mara

I've heard empire earth 3 doesn't work on vista.newyorkgiant

That's just Vista's bad game detection system.

Xxgood-timesXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Xxgood-timesXx
Member since 2008 • 726 Posts
every game ive purchased works with vista, just some need to be configured in order to work, other than that ive had no problems with games not working on vista.
biltros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 biltros
Member since 2006 • 358 Posts
I will mention again that someone's problem isn't necessarily everyone's problem.I tried everything and i can't run the following games under vista.PREY,PAINKILLER,QUAKE 4.Although i can play PREY's demo and QUAKE's as well.
Popwar138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 Popwar138
Member since 2008 • 113 Posts
Battlefield 1942 (+ Expansions) & Battlefield Vietnam. I can't adjust most of the settings and the targeting rectile doesn't show up for your main and secondary weapon.themovi3nut
Yeah, same thing here, except it just crashes instantly.
Popwar138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Popwar138
Member since 2008 • 113 Posts

as you know, vista is supposedly incompatible with a lot of games, here are a few steps

1. right click the icon for the game on the desktop and click properties

2. click compatibility

3. check run this program as administrator

4. click run this program in the compatilbility mode of Windows XP SP2

5. click apply and then okay

6. now you can run the game, it takes a couple times to get all the programs allowed through the firewall, and if you log in and it sticks at connecting, alt tab and see if there's a thing you need to allow, if so, allow it.

Hope this solves your problem

kaskus

This has worked for some of my games, but not all.

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 RK-Mara

[QUOTE="themovi3nut"]Battlefield 1942 (+ Expansions) & Battlefield Vietnam. I can't adjust most of the settings and the targeting rectile doesn't show up for your main and secondary weapon.Popwar138
Yeah, same thing here, except it just crashes instantly.

Those games actually work just fine, you just need to upgrade your drivers.

BobZany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 BobZany
Member since 2004 • 1407 Posts

WoW hasnt worked on Vista.. which is like taking away my blood...Dan3721

I've been playing WoW on Vista since October of last year.

Like someone else said, because it doesn't work for you doesn't mean it doesn't work for someone else. Most of the games that I've played under Vista work fine. Everquest 2 is the main exception, but then I hear others saying it runs just fine for them. I haven't attempted to play many older games since installing Vista, though.

mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mismajor99
Member since 2003 • 5671 Posts

Prey won't load in Vista 32 for me.

Penumbra Overture Black Plague won't load either, I get a black screen

System Shock 2 will load to menu screen but won't play.

Age of Conan MMO beta hitches and drops big time FPS in Vista compared to XP. Granted it's a beta, but it will probably be just like every other game

Just about all my games run worse under Vista, especially when DX10 is enabled. Compared to XP there is considerable framerate drop in Vista for almost every game I own.

I would never recommend Vista over XP at this point, especially since XP you are almost guaranteed to have less problems. Aero is nice but it's hardly woth the poorer performance and compatibility problems.

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
I've had very few games that flat-out didn't work on Vista. Instead, most of my games end up having odd problems instead. Lot's of weird things. AA in Call of Duty 2 won't work, decals wouldn't scale properly in Day of Defear source (fixed by now I'm guessing), sketchy performance, STALKER at launch, Painkiller starts but the main menu and level select screens are skewed, etc.
NEOSPARKING

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 NEOSPARKING
Member since 2007 • 1264 Posts
list:
none
GulliverJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GulliverJr

The reason I'm asking is because I can't get any BiA games to work. I've tried everything.DiabeticDood

As you can see, you are getting responses all over the place. While the "just because it doesn't work for you doesn't mean it doesn't work for anyone else" perspective holds some water, the opposite is also true.

That all being said, you may want to try getting the game to load in a buddy's system that is also running Vista. I am recommending this based on your comment that you've tried everything. I am assuming that this means you have done everything that you know to do to eliminate Vista as the problem (download latest patch, latest video card drivers, done all of the Vista updates, run the game as admin, run the game in compatibility mode, hit the Ubisoft forums, etc.).

The only thing I can reckon is that it is now time to start troubleshooting things other than Vista? Try ensuring 3D or Hardware rendered sound is disabled, eliminate any firewalls running in the background, knock some apps out of your SYSTRAY, investigate whether or not BiA needs CPU affinity set when running on a dual-core system...not saying that these are the most likely culprits or will result in a Eureka moment; just suggesting trying some other things that may not have Vista as the core issue.

- Vr/GullverJR.

Gruug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#28 Gruug
Member since 2004 • 735 Posts

I have yet to have a single game NOT work on my new Windows Vista Home Premium (64-bit) machine. One thing that I have found it that the new "UAC" is screwing up some people's ability to install and run some games. Turning UAC off seems to fix most of that. As someone else said, drivers are also a major point of conflict if a game does not work. Make sure yours are up to date.

I was a bit fearful of adopting Vista as my new OS after all the horror stories. Now that that I have had it for a while I can say it is not nearly as bad as I had feared. It will just take a bit more time for it to catch on. Will it be as popular as XP? Only time will tell.

GulliverJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GulliverJr

Concur...I've been bad-mouthing the heck out of Vista all year and just replaced my COMPAL IFL-90 (well, just subordinated, the IFL is sticking around for a while) with a GatewayFX laptop. In preps to sell the IFL-90, I slicked it and did a fresh install of Vista, and, voila, the thing works fine, now. None of the low power state issues I was having before, and no crashes to the desktop of games...yet. I already know that my blog is going to have to eat some serious crow. At this point I suspect that it was a poor install by the configurator. I did not load all of the apps and drivers that came on the restore DVDs, so maybe there was some type of goofy conflict with half-baked drivers that manifested itself in weird ways.

Point is, it may not be time to give up on Vista just yet, and it bears trying to troubleshoot some things other than the operating environment.

...and, Gruug, I am stealing your last line for a new discussion thread.

mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mismajor99
Member since 2003 • 5671 Posts

Hey GulliverJr.

I just picked up a Gateway too, I absolutely love this thing. I picked up the P-6860FX model, bought a T9300 Intel Core 2 (2,5ghz) from Newegg.com for $300, threw it in and it's running blazing fast and 10 degrees cooler than the stock processor thanks to the 45nm process. The 8800GTS card in these are phenomenal, not to mention the 4 gigs of ram and the 320gig hdd. Crysis runs outstanding in high settings too, which is the only game to worry about at this point.

I can't say I haven't had problems with Vista though. I had to reinstall Vista twice already. Besides having some games run poor or not at all, I had a bugged Network problem in Vista where it wouldn't let me share media, kept giving me errors, and the answer I got from MS support was, reformat, the usual. After that, I had another network problem where it wouldn't let me join a domain or change the domain name. I was told that Vista's network stack is a mess and is very flaky at this point. So now everything is working that I know of for now. Beyond that, I like the fact that Gateway gave us both Vista 32 and 64 on the disk, which is great to have. I really like the 64 bit version better, as it seems to run much faster than 32.

Good thing is, there's a second slot for another harddrive in this badboy, so I'm going to keep Vista 64 on one and add another HDD and put a XP/Linux install on that. I love the fact that we can use RAID as well, this is a PC Gamer's dream, all for about 1300+300 for the processor upgrade. I was looking at getting a Sager 5793, which are outstanding laptops for gaming, but being I already have a desktop for that, this was certainly the best choice for the money.

pknyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 pknyo
Member since 2007 • 214 Posts
ever tried to play stalker on vista?
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 RK-Mara

ever tried to play stalker on vista?pknyo

Yes, and works just fine. You just need the patches.

Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#33 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts
The only game I have tried that doesn't work is Silverfall. Every other game I own functions perfectly fine.
GulliverJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 GulliverJr

Hey GulliverJr.

I just picked up a Gateway too, I absolutely love this thing. I picked up the P-6860FX model, bought a T9300 Intel Core 2 (2,5ghz) from Newegg.com for $300, threw it in and it's running blazing fast and 10 degrees cooler than the stock processor thanks to the 45nm process. The 8800GTS card in these are phenomenal, not to mention the 4 gigs of ram and the 320gig hdd. Crysis runs outstanding in high settings too, which is the only game to worry about at this point.

I can't say I haven't had problems with Vista though. I had to reinstall Vista twice already. Besides having some games run poor or not at all, I had a bugged Network problem in Vista where it wouldn't let me share media, kept giving me errors, and the answer I got from MS support was, reformat, the usual. After that, I had another network problem where it wouldn't let me join a domain or change the domain name. I was told that Vista's network stack is a mess and is very flaky at this point. So now everything is working that I know of for now. Beyond that, I like the fact that Gateway gave us both Vista 32 and 64 on the disk, which is great to have. I really like the 64 bit version better, as it seems to run much faster than 32.

Good thing is, there's a second slot for another harddrive in this badboy, so I'm going to keep Vista 64 on one and add another HDD and put a XP/Linux install on that. I love the fact that we can use RAID as well, this is a PC Gamer's dream, all for about 1300+300 for the processor upgrade. I was looking at getting a Sager 5793, which are outstanding laptops for gaming, but being I already have a desktop for that, this was certainly the best choice for the money.

mismajor99

Cool beans, dude. I did not do the processor upgrade. My upgrade was to throw in a second 320GB Hard Drive into the Spare bay. Sorry to hear that you had some startup problems, but I agree...this laptop is a pretty good deal for the price.

- Vr/Gull.

mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts

The following games I tried didn't work.

Knights of the Old Republic

Metal Gear Solid

System Shock 2

Manhunt

However there have been reports that people got all of those games working on Vista. But the process might be somewhat overwhelming.