This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mikka_kippa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Mikka_kippa
Member since 2005 • 971 Posts
Hey, today I made 2 partitions for my hard drive. One of Windows XP and another for Linux. Anyways, this is my first time using Linux, and I'm experiencing a few problems... Firstly I wanna state that I am using Linux Ubuntu (Ubuntu is the distributor, I think) My first problem is my keyboard. It's not that every keyboard doesn't work, it just seems to be that the ones that aren't connected through USB aren't working. Right now I am using a really old crappy one, but it is USB, so it is working fine. They keyboard I want to use works with XP and when I'm in the actual computer choosing which OS to run. I just wanted to know what I should do. My second problem is my graphics. Again, it works perfectly on XP. I have an ATI Radeon X1300 pro graphics card, and when I, for example, move a window it doesn't move smoothly. The window sort of jutters. To fix this problem on the XP, all i needed to do was to install ATI Catalyst control drivers and Direct X, although I don't think I can do that on Linux, can I?? Other than that I think Linux is super cool, but I really don't wanna use this keyboard, it's so gross :S THANKS IN ADVANCE GUYS
Baselerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 Baselerd
Member since 2003 • 5104 Posts
Just google "radion x1300pro linux drivers"

There is no DirectX for linux, although there are some emulators. DirectX is a microsoft API, linux uses openGL. Also, download and use beryl for your windows manager. It looks better than vista aero+osx+winFX. It makes me want linux, except I have a DELLprinter (got it for free), and DELL would never release drivers for my printer for linux (much less windows vista or XP x64)
lordxymor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 lordxymor
Member since 2004 • 2438 Posts
try this https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/linux_8.25.18-inst.html about your keyboard, not all models are supported natively, some need extra modules or proper manual configuration.
Mikka_kippa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Mikka_kippa
what exactly do I download? There are no download links on that site.
Mikka_kippa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Mikka_kippa
ok, so I downloaded the ATI drivers, how to I install them? I don't get it. It is a binary file, and when I open it, it gives me a message saying it won't open, and tells me to makes sure it isn't a binary file :S What do I do ?? :'(
TNT_9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TNT_9999
Member since 2007 • 65 Posts
ok, so I downloaded the ATI drivers, how to I install them? I don't get it. It is a binary file, and when I open it, it gives me a message saying it won't open, and tells me to makes sure it isn't a binary file :S What do I do ?? :'(Mikka_kippa

There should be a readme file.  You'll probabley have to install the driver from the command line.
Mikka_kippa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Mikka_kippa
huh? lol
TNT_9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TNT_9999
https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/linux_8.33.6-inst.html. Scroll to install driver option.
Mikka_kippa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Mikka_kippa
I got that point, but I don't know how to navigate to the file with the terminal... I am really confuzled. Btw, thanks for the help so far.
TNT_9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TNT_9999
use cd like cd /usr
Mikka_kippa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Mikka_kippa
it's saved onto my desktop, so what would I do??
TNT_9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TNT_9999
I forget the path to the desktop. Move it to somewhere you know like the /home directory or /usr.
Mikka_kippa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Mikka_kippa
what is usr?? And this isn't like windows where they have a link bar when you go to the folders, it's a bunch of tabs, so how do I know the directory?? OK, I found USR, but when I try to put the file into it, it says I don't have permerission.... OMG
TNT_9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TNT_9999
have to login as Administrator.
d-rtyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 d-rtyboy
Member since 2006 • 3178 Posts
My first problem is my keyboard. It's not that every keyboard doesn't work, it just seems to be that the ones that aren't connected through USB aren't working. Right now I am using a really old crappy one, but it is USB, so it is working fine. They keyboard I want to use works with XP and when I'm in the actual computer choosing which OS to run. I just wanted to know what I should do.Mikka_kippa
First off, I want to say that if using the command line scares you, you should reconsider using Linux. Because there are just some things you have to do via the CLI in Linux whether you like it or not. I don't know about ATi's drivers as I have an nVidia card on my Linux box, but I've always installed it via command line, with no GUI present at all... in run level 3 to be precise. You want to change run level from 4 to 3.. the only way I know of doing is opening /etc/inittab in a text editor and after you're done... changing the 3 back to a 4.. simple. Of course, after you're done you want to change it back :) Anyway, your keyboard problem is probably because you haven't set the right option in the xorg.conf... at least I'm guessing. I'd need to know what kernel you are using? Do 'uname -r' and that will tell you the kernel version.
Mikka_kippa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Mikka_kippa
can someone give me a brief tutorial on how the terminal works? I understand that you type **** in it, but it doesn't seem to do what I want it to. For example, the first step in the Installation Guide thing here: https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/linux_8.25.18-inst.html Is to locate the file in your terminal. I type the directory into it, which is "/home/dawidek" and all it says is "Bash: that is a directory" or something like that.