League of Legends: Clash of Fates

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Cazetz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Cazetz
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
whats the difference between HON and League of Legends: Clash of Fates
Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

Heroes of Newerth is made by the creator of defense of the ancients along with S2 games who have a good history in terms of making games. Both are DotA clones but the key difference is League of Legends is free to play and has microtransactions which will break the game (they always do) while Heroes of Newerth is a one time fee where it is more or less a "pure" port of DotA with some new heroes and a bunch of unique features. I'd personally go with HoN; bought the game already and didn't regret it at all.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

Heroes of Newerth is made by the creator of defense of the ancients along with S2 games who have a good history in terms of making games. Both are DotA clones but the key difference is League of Legends is free to play and has microtransactions which will break the game (they always do) while Heroes of Newerth is a one time fee where it is more or less a "pure" port of DotA with some new heroes and a bunch of unique features. I'd personally go with HoN; bought the game already and didn't regret it at all.

Whiteblade999
Actually League of Legends is made by the creators of DotA. Both are great and both have some unique great features, they would both make a single great game but anyway, they are the same, quality wise imo, but LoL is also free so, LoL for me, I'm not paying 30$ for such a game, maybe 20$ or so.
Kevoun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Kevoun
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

Whiteblade999
This is wrong on multiple counts. Guinsoo is a part of the LoL team, and he was a major contributor to the DotA line. Also, the micro-transactions will specifically NOT be game breaking. In fact, the developers have stated they will not sell power and intend to sell skins and other cosmetic features instead. As far as HoN vs. LoL, I can't really say because I haven't played HoN. However, I have played DotA and I'm immensely enjoying myself with LoL. The developers are very active on the forums and the community feels great. I would check both out and make your own decision.
dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 dnuggs40
Member since 2003 • 10484 Posts

I played both...HoN is the superior product. It runs better, looks better, has smoother animations, better effects, and most important a brilliant lobby system and stat tracking...though that's not surprising considering S2Games previous work with Savage 2.

LoL is free and it shows. Not that it's a bad game...it's actually quite good. Just personally I would rather throw down a little cash for the better version of the game.

The one place they are equal is with their absolutely terrible players...not terrible as in "bad players" but as in rude, obnoxious, immature, whining babies. I never played DOTA but always heard about it's notorious "community"...it's actually so bad I am not sure I am going to bother with either game...which is sad because I like the actual games.

Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts
Man. I aint a hardcore gamer so I like quick games. Arena type stuff. Im liking Dawn of War 2 and World in Conflict Complete (What ever is left of the online) and was looking forward to either LoL or HoN. I figured paying a little wouldnt be a bad thing. I like paying for good games. I was going to wait for the reviews (user or site based) and see which did better. I was hoping that LoL did better only because I felt the people wouldnt be as bad knowing that HoN was nearly an exact clone of DoTA. Exact clones always warrant the same people I guess. I just want to enjoy myself - not get chewed out. I was able to easily get good at DoW2 and Im working on WiC. I dont know. We just have to wait and see after the full games are finally released.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

Man. I aint a hardcore gamer so I like quick games. Arena type stuff. Im liking Dawn of War 2 and World in Conflict Complete (What ever is left of the online) and was looking forward to either LoL or HoN. I figured paying a little wouldnt be a bad thing. I like paying for good games. I was going to wait for the reviews (user or site based) and see which did better. I was hoping that LoL did better only because I felt the people wouldnt be as bad knowing that HoN was nearly an exact clone of DoTA. Exact clones always warrant the same people I guess. I just want to enjoy myself - not get chewed out. I was able to easily get good at DoW2 and Im working on WiC. I dont know. We just have to wait and see after the full games are finally released. Gamesterpheonix
If you manage to get into the beta for either of them, you pretty much get the full experience and in these games a match can take up to 40 minutes usually, sometimes even an hour or more. Practice makes perfect and if you don't like experimenting, you just focus on one champion and get the best out of it.

Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts
Ya I guess I could get good with practice but Im not so sure about the community.
rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts

I hate HON players with a vengence. LoL people are nice. So I will be playing LoL.

BLUBBBER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BLUBBBER
Member since 2006 • 367 Posts

I only played HoN and I didn't really like it because all it had was better graphics and interface. It is the exact same thing as DotA just with a few additions (lobby is really cool though). I don't know about LoL; does anyone know if it is just a port of DotA or does it have cool new features?

Kevoun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Kevoun

I only played HoN and I didn't really like it because all it had was better graphics and interface. It is the exact same thing as DotA just with a few additions (lobby is really cool though). I don't know about LoL; does anyone know if it is just a port of DotA or does it have cool new features?

BLUBBBER

The developers are trying to innovate and branch away from being a DotA clone as much as possible. I expect LoL is going to continue adding new features to the ones they already have that set it apart from HoN and DotA.

I played both...HoN is the superior product. It runs better, looks better, has smoother animations, better effects, and most important a brilliant lobby system and stat tracking...though that's not surprising considering S2Games previous work with Savage 2.

dnuggs40

Both games are in beta, so I think it's hard to say one or the other is a superior product. LoL is improving the lobby system still and they are at least a month off from release. Also LoL runs well on my very old compy, and I enjoy the art style.

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dnuggs40
Beta these days are more like free previews. Anyways, it's not like either game is going to change/improve significantly in the next month or so. The features/graphics/animations/ect are pretty much done...what you see now is basically what you see at release. They might improve a few things here and there, tweak balance, and fix bugs but that's about it. It's clear HoN is a superior product overall...but that's not surprising you usually get what you pay for.
Kevoun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Kevoun

Beta these days are more like free previews. Anyways, it's not like either game is going to change/improve significantly in the next month or so. The features/graphics/animations/ect are pretty much done...what you see now is basically what you see at release. They might improve a few things here and there, tweak balance, and fix bugs but that's about it. It's clear HoN is a superior product overall...but that's not surprising you usually get what you pay for.dnuggs40

I don't consider beta a free preview. For me it was a chance to get closer to the developers, give them feedback, and get to know the community.

I'm not sure what you consider significant change, but Riot has made large bi-weekly patches since I have entered beta. I don't expect massive overhauls, though I do expect the game to continue improving after release. They have plans to implement various new types of play, more maps, and other improvements as the game grows.

I enjoy the design of LoL and I'm confident that Riot has created a great game that will be a staple in the MOBA genre.

All that is HoN aside. From what I've heard/read, HoN is pushing the envelope in graphics and a few other areas, but it is still essentially a DotA clone. I might try it out but it doesn't sound as appealing to me.

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 dnuggs40

The point is, most beta's these days aren't what beta's used to be. For instance, I beta tested Sacred 2...I had to give them my drivers license and sign waivers. Once I got in, I had access to their bug database and actually filed bug reports. The developers would come on the beta forums and ask us to test certain things for certain patches and things like that.

Most betas these days are exactly what I said...free previews. Sure, they get some feedback and get to work out any issues prior to release that they identify by having lots of people playing, but it's not really a beta test, and the people playing (lol) are certainly for the most part not beta testers. I didn't even sign up for the LoL beta and I got in...that should tell you something.

Regarding either game changing, what I meant is the core fundamentals, graphics, features, ect are pretty set in stone at this point. The only thing you will see is bug fixes, gameplay tweaks, and maybe some minor feature additions. The games themselves are pretty representative of what they will be like on release.

Anyways, glad you enjoy LoL...I thought it was good game...just HoN seems much higher quality overall. But that's to be expected, normally in life you get what you pay for.