Layoffs at Guild Wars II publisher...is it the end of GW2?

• 82 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#51 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
[QUOTE="BSC14"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]^^ Really disappointing and you bought two copies? Something not compute. Back on topic, what things didn't you like? or thought were disappointing? FelipeInside

I preordered one for myself and one for a friend who was low on funds.

EDIT: Off the top of my head the game feels like a button masher imo. With no tank, healer, dps combat system or some other form of organized combat it's just a free for all.

No real end game to keep people coming back....at least nothing I would call endgame.

The dynamic events are really stupid imo....it's just a follow the mobs around and jump in. The whole dynamic events feel really artificial and I don't get why people find it fun.

That's just off the top of my head...I have not played it in a long time.

I have to agree about some of the combat. It does feel more like a Free for All than organized. I remember playing WoW and SWTOR, the combat could get hectic but each person in the party had their roles, in GW2 it's like "let's just hit hit hit till he comes down". About the endgame. GW2 isn't about endgame, it's about the journey. I know that sounds cliche but it really is like that. You get to go on quests, vistas, events etc. The Dynamic events are pretty fun. It's nice that you don't have to be max level with latest gear and raiding to be able to fight a huge monster with 30 other players. Artificial you say? well, it's a video game remember? don't really know what other way you could do them. One thing I have noticed about GW2, it's 2 games in one, and both free (PvE and PvP)

and the PvP game is heading towards e-sportsdom. some leagues already contacted ANet about it, they're just waiting for custom arenas and spectator (both of which are expected, but not confirmed, for early next year). PvP is where the combat really shines. in PvE, your build only matters as far as "am i having fun" is concerned. in dungeons, a well coordinated team can breeze through content that most would find hard. teamwork really counts to make sure the team stays alive and completes the run as fast as possible. but alas, you're still fighting mobs. but on PvP, all the combat mechanics are crucial. your enemies now are as deadly as you. you need to consider every defensive option as well as offensive, and build your character around that. you make your build based on how you want to approach the battle (right now the PvP trinity is set on bunker/roamer/dps, though none are necessary to win, and every cIass can effectively pull all roles, and there are multiple ways of tackling each role with each profession), play a bit to test it, fine tune it, repeat. it's a process of constant learning and improvement, and it's always challenging. seriously, i recommend anyone that thinks GW2's combat is button mashy to try sPvP.
khanabyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 khanabyss
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

People need to stop defending that game, i quit it when i hit level 70. I just couldnt bother myself to continue playing.

Game is so monotonous its not even funny.

PVP gets you an instantly geared and max level character to play? "So that you can concentrate on strategy.."? Oh please! Gear and levels has everything to do with the love, hate or challenge of ANY KIND of war!

This game is so made for the castrated, scared nerds that has broken too many keyboards and peed their panties too many times when being pwnd time and time again.. instead of learning, gearing and putting some effort into the game. Does the developer not realize that that there is a certain excitement in taking down a better geared and higher level opponent in PVP? Sure you may have to gang up on him or her but it's a lovely feeling when they hit the dirt...

Even in PVE there is no competition or should I say - no reason for advancement. "Everyone helps everyone...". Nice to know that most of your combat looks exactly the same at level 10 as it does at max level.. because your main combat skills are "done" seemingly at level 10 except the once-in-a-blue Elite skill and the "modifiers" 6-10.

What is there to look forward to? Nobody really needs anybody either. Everyone can rezz? Everyone can heal? Everyone can tank?

No hardcore player would ever stay very long on a game like this. It's pointless in the end. The same mentality person that would play this game is the mobile-phone single-player game addicts that will play any game for way too long with no real payoff...

This makes no sense to me. Except when you look at the fine print:
NO MONTHLY COST! They don't care if you quit after a week when realizing there is nothing to look forward to! Because they just want you to buy the game..! They don't care if you keep playing!
Great marketing. Great "this will be such a revolutionary game.." <-- yes the servers will be empty in a few more months... (when even the dumb realize it's pointless.. yawn).

Go ahead. Flame away.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

^^ Not flame, but maybe you should consider that not everyone plays just to PvP (take someone else down) or look at their spells each level?

I actually enjoy GW2 for the story, graphics, characters and exploration/vistas, as well as not having to dedicate $15 monthly and 100 hours weekly to be able to raid and take down a massive boss (which I did at level 9 in GW2 without raiding).

Not everyone plays a game for the same reasons.

And ur dead wrong about them not wanting you to keep playing, since they are constantly adding content. Servers empty in a month? Dream on.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 BrunoBRS

People need to stop defending that game, i quit it when i hit level 70. I just couldnt bother myself to continue playing.

PVP gets you an instantly geared and max level character to play? "So that you can concentrate on strategy.."? Oh please! Gear and levels has everything to do with the love, hate or challenge of ANY KIND of war!

This game is so made for the castrated, scared nerds that has broken too many keyboards and peed their panties too many times when being pwnd time and time again.. instead of learning, gearing and putting some effort into the game. Does the developer not realize that that there is a certain excitement in taking down a better geared and higher level opponent in PVP? Sure you may have to gang up on him or her but it's a lovely feeling when they hit the dirt...

Even in PVE there is no competition or should I say - no reason for advancement. "Everyone helps everyone...". Nice to know that most of your combat looks exactly the same at level 10 as it does at max level.. because your main combat skills are "done" seemingly at level 10 except the once-in-a-blue Elite skill and the "modifiers" 6-10.

What is there to look forward to? Nobody really needs anybody either. Everyone can rezz? Everyone can heal? Everyone can tank?

No hardcore player would ever stay very long on a game like this. It's pointless in the end. The same mentality person that would play this game is the mobile-phone single-player game addicts that will play any game for way too long with no real payoff...

NO MONTHLY COST! They don't care if you quit after a week when realizing there is nothing to look forward to! Because they just want you to buy the game..! They don't care if you keep playing!
Great marketing. Great "this will be such a revolutionary game.." <-- yes the servers will be empty in a few more months... (when even the dumb realize it's pointless.. yawn).

Go ahead. Flame away.

khanabyss
i usually reply seriously to even the most stupid of posts, provided there's something salvageable among the stupidity, but this... lol. just lol.
khanabyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 khanabyss
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
Not like i would take into consideration your opinion about the game anyways, everyone on these boards know you're the biggest fanboy of this game.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 BrunoBRS
Not like i would take into consideration your opinion about the game anyways, everyone on these boards know you're the biggest fanboy of this game.khanabyss
funny that you act like a veteran of this board, with all your mighty 11 posts. i thought about bringing up how non-standard gear gets in the way of balance, and no game's competitive content can be taken seriously if it doesn't have a semblance of balance, but that would be wasted on you. you'd probably like MOBAs more if you could upgrade your heroes permanently through some grinding feature.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#57 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts

I think some people actually think it's "cool" to say that an MMO is failing. Must be the latest fashion. (NOT directed at you TC)

No idea why they would want a strictly PC Game to fail, but somehow they enjoy it in their own little twisted mind.

FelipeInside
And I think some people actually think FTP, non mainstream games, or cheap as hell games are cool. GW2 sucks balls and has since day 1, mmos are boring as hell now and I hope they all fail till they can learn to build a fun one. This game was over hyped since day 1. You still play this Felipe? I doubt it, u jump on the new train every time it rolls in, defending it for al it worth, till the next train rolls in, repeat. BTW hows the secret world?
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#58 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="khanabyss"]Not like i would take into consideration your opinion about the game anyways, everyone on these boards know you're the biggest fanboy of this game.BrunoBRS
funny that you act like a veteran of this board, with all your mighty 11 posts. i thought about bringing up how non-standard gear gets in the way of balance, and no game's competitive content can be taken seriously if it doesn't have a semblance of balance, but that would be wasted on you. you'd probably like MOBAs more if you could upgrade your heroes permanently through some grinding feature.

jakes alt am confirmed

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="khanabyss"]Not like i would take into consideration your opinion about the game anyways, everyone on these boards know you're the biggest fanboy of this game.wis3boi

jakes alt am confirmed

nah, the account is old. and jake wouldn't bother writing so much.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

I think some people actually think it's "cool" to say that an MMO is failing. Must be the latest fashion. (NOT directed at you TC)

No idea why they would want a strictly PC Game to fail, but somehow they enjoy it in their own little twisted mind.

Advid-Gamer
And I think some people actually think FTP, non mainstream games, or cheap as hell games are cool. GW2 sucks balls and has since day 1, mmos are boring as hell now and I hope they all fail till they can learn to build a fun one. This game was over hyped since day 1. You still play this Felipe? I doubt it, u jump on the new train every time it rolls in, defending it for al it worth, till the next train rolls in, repeat. BTW hows the secret world?

I shouldn't even consider responding since I even think Jakes456 is ur alt account, but here goes. You like different things than me on MMOs, I respect that and you should consider that not everyone has to like what YOU like. Was GW2 overhyped? Yes. I even said on these forums that it wasn't going to be what everyone expected. Did it turn out good anyway? Yes. The game is fun, graphics are gorgeous, you don't have to dedicate hours to it x day to be part of something epic, it has a million things to do ranging from classic MMO crafting to vistas to completing the map etc etc. It has a bit of everything. It's even 2 FULL GAMES in one, and on top of all that it's FREE. I am currently playing FarCry3 cause it's a great game. I try to play the three MMOs I have (GW2, TSW, SWTOR) when I can. The only reason I don't play them often is because my time is limited. I don't spend all day playing a game and then coming online to bash it like others. Again, you don't like it cause it's "NOT ENOUGH HARDCORE DUDE" for you, fine. Other people like it for what it is. You keep on hating while I keep on enjoying gaming, at the end I think that is more pleasant.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] funny that you act like a veteran of this board, with all your mighty 11 posts. i thought about bringing up how non-standard gear gets in the way of balance, and no game's competitive content can be taken seriously if it doesn't have a semblance of balance, but that would be wasted on you. you'd probably like MOBAs more if you could upgrade your heroes permanently through some grinding feature.BrunoBRS

jakes alt am confirmed

How can that account be from 2003? Level 5 and 11 posts?
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#62 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] funny that you act like a veteran of this board, with all your mighty 11 posts. i thought about bringing up how non-standard gear gets in the way of balance, and no game's competitive content can be taken seriously if it doesn't have a semblance of balance, but that would be wasted on you. you'd probably like MOBAs more if you could upgrade your heroes permanently through some grinding feature.BrunoBRS

jakes alt am confirmed

indeed also anyone who reads pc gamer needs their head examined

Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts
[QUOTE="Advid-Gamer"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

FelipeInside

I shouldn't even consider responding since I even think Jakes456 is ur alt account, but here goes. You like different things than me on MMOs, I respect that and you should consider that not everyone has to like what YOU like. Was GW2 overhyped? Yes. I even said on these forums that it wasn't going to be what everyone expected. Did it turn out good anyway? Yes. The game is fun, graphics are gorgeous, you don't have to dedicate hours to it x day to be part of something epic, it has a million things to do ranging from classic MMO crafting to vistas to completing the map etc etc. It has a bit of everything. It's even 2 FULL GAMES in one, and on top of all that it's FREE. I am currently playing FarCry3 cause it's a great game. I try to play the three MMOs I have (GW2, TSW, SWTOR) when I can. The only reason I don't play them often is because my time is limited. I don't spend all day playing a game and then coming online to bash it like others. Again, you don't like it cause it's "NOT ENOUGH HARDCORE DUDE" for you, fine. Other people like it for what it is. You keep on hating while I keep on enjoying gaming, at the end I think that is more pleasant.

Stopped at Jake456 being my alt, LOL. Seriously?
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 FelipeInside

^^ Ur really sounding like him these days.

All you do lately is come into a topic, bash the hell out of a game and/or user, then disappear for a week.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="wis3boi"]

jakes alt am confirmed

FelipeInside

How can that account be from 2003? Level 5 and 11 posts?

my account is from 2005, but the first two years i never used it, so it had a really low level and post count.
jakes456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 jakes456
Member since 2011 • 1398 Posts

some really insecure children in this topic.

Guild Wars 2 is going down the drain.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#67 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

jakes456

your ass is going down the drain

SharkheadHD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 SharkheadHD
Member since 2012 • 227 Posts

"NCsoft is realigning internal publishing resources to better suit the needs of our game development studios," Davis said. It is not clear if the layoffs at NCsoft's Seattle office will have any effect on ongoing support and development of Guild Wars 2 or any of the company's other products and services.

Simply, we literally have nothing to worry about.
illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#69 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts
Judging by the seemingly similar avatar. jakes456 is FelipeInsides alt /plottwist (pls change your avatar)
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="illmatic87"]Judging by the seemingly similar avatar. jakes456 is FelipeInsides alt /plottwist (pls change your avatar)

I take that as an insult :(
illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 illmatic87

[QUOTE="illmatic87"]Judging by the seemingly similar avatar. jakes456 is FelipeInsides alt /plottwist (pls change your avatar)FelipeInside

Change your avatar pls (or put a santa hat on it).

Otherwise.... I'll reply to threads in this forum using Guild Wars 2 NPC dialogue cycles for a month.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="illmatic87"]Judging by the seemingly similar avatar. jakes456 is FelipeInsides alt /plottwist (pls change your avatar)illmatic87

Change your avatar pls (or put a santa hat on it).

Otherwise.... I'll reply to threads in this forum using Guild Wars 2 NPC dialogue cycles for a month.

Hahahahahahahah. I would actually love to see that. I've asked Jakes to change his Avatar so people don't get confused, I've been here using mine since 2003. I guess he just wants to be like me ;)
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Go ahead. Flame away.

khanabyss

Your post is bad, and you should feel bad

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 illmatic87
My ears.
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 ionusX

My ears.illmatic87
how are you?

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 ionusX

[QUOTE="jakes456"]

wis3boi

your ass is going down the drain

jakes day in a nutshell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzAXb7qCCAo

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#77 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

[QUOTE="vfibsux"]

[QUOTE="BSC14"]

http://www.gamespot.com/news/layoffs-at-guild-wars-ii-publisher-6401089

Im not being serious about the end of GW2. I think this is completely normal after a game with a fairly large staff is completed for the company to let some people go. What I do find funny is you dont see a bunch of "OMG its the end of the game blah, blah, blah".If it were Bioware or Blizzard the idiots would come out on full attack mode.

Just saying.

BSC14

What you found "funny" was it is GW2 and not WoW or SWTOR, when people didn't scream about it you got your panties in a bind because you felt it wasn't fair that people would rip Blizzard or Bioware but not your arch nemesis Arenanet. This was a passive aggressive attack and you knew full well what would come of it. Stop playing Mr. Innocent. I am sorry that Guild Wars 2's success has somehow chaffed you like sand in your underwear after a day at the beach, get over it already.

I don't know if you missed it or not but I already replied to you.

And you're still wrong.

Everyone here knows I am right, including you. You're predictable and transparent when it comes to this topic. You had an agenda here, that much is obvious. Truth be told I have not even played GW2 in a while, I got more than my money's worth out of it and can after two 80 toons and can go back whenever I please without worrying about a sub. The hype worked out just fine for me.
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#78 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

Go ahead. Flame away.

khanabyss
No one said the game is for everyone, sounds like you and BSC should attend therapy together.
BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

[QUOTE="BSC14"]

[QUOTE="vfibsux"] What you found "funny" was it is GW2 and not WoW or SWTOR, when people didn't scream about it you got your panties in a bind because you felt it wasn't fair that people would rip Blizzard or Bioware but not your arch nemesis Arenanet. This was a passive aggressive attack and you knew full well what would come of it. Stop playing Mr. Innocent. I am sorry that Guild Wars 2's success has somehow chaffed you like sand in your underwear after a day at the beach, get over it already.

vfibsux

And you're still wrong.

Everyone here knows I am right, including you. You're predictable and transparent when it comes to this topic. You had an agenda here, that much is obvious. Truth be told I have not even played GW2 in a while, I got more than my money's worth out of it and can after two 80 toons and can go back whenever I please without worrying about a sub. The hype worked out just fine for me.

Ok, you believe what you like.

This topic was not really an attack on GW2 but whatever.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 BSC14

[QUOTE="BSC14"]

[QUOTE="vfibsux"] What you found "funny" was it is GW2 and not WoW or SWTOR, when people didn't scream about it you got your panties in a bind because you felt it wasn't fair that people would rip Blizzard or Bioware but not your arch nemesis Arenanet. This was a passive aggressive attack and you knew full well what would come of it. Stop playing Mr. Innocent. I am sorry that Guild Wars 2's success has somehow chaffed you like sand in your underwear after a day at the beach, get over it already.

vfibsux

And you're still wrong.

One thing I would like to add. Yes I have been vocal about GW2 being over hyped and overrated but at the same time I have never just blindly trolled around with OMG GW2 sux type stuff. I have always backed up my opinion of why I dont like it with explanations and good reason.

So if it feels good to treat me as Jake or Ionus then knock yourself out but I think I have been a lot more reasonable than some of these other people here.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 BSC14

No one said the game is for everyone, sounds like you and BSC should attend therapy together. vfibsux

Yes because if you don't like GW2, you MUST be so brain damaged that you need therapy. :?