Late 90's third person PC game, starts off in a castle/jail cell?!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by JoshBall196 (25 posts) -

Sorry if this sounds really vague, but i've been racking my brain/ searching the net for weeks on this and can't find it at all.

From memoryI played it in the1999/2000 region, give or take a few years.

I can remember it being a 3dadventure type of thing where you acquire weapons such as swords etc, although i'm not sure if it was an rpg or not. I can remember going into a small dark looking village below the castle (after you get out of the cell/dungeon)in which you meet some enemies for i think the first time? It has kind of a dark oldy world feel to it but i can remember the graphics being decent. I think you can go up and talk to people also.

If you need any more details you could ask, can't promise i'd know anything though! Any help would be massively appreciated! :D

#2 Posted by -wildflower- (2997 posts) -

Was it Die by the Sword?

#3 Posted by Renevent42 (6654 posts) -
Arx Fatalis?
#4 Posted by Lucianu (10347 posts) -

Arx Fatalis fits well, but it came out in 2002, so i don't know if it's that.

But, no doubt, is a underrated fantastic RPG, with beautiful visuals, that you should definitely play.

#5 Posted by Renevent42 (6654 posts) -
It's among my favorite RPG's...ever.
#6 Posted by ionusX (25760 posts) -

TES chapter 3: morrowind?

#7 Posted by cyborg100000 (2905 posts) -

One of the Lands of Lore games?

#8 Posted by GeneralShowzer (11598 posts) -
Enclave?
#9 Posted by Lucianu (10347 posts) -

Enclave? GeneralShowzer

Completely forgot about that game.. that fits even better. 2003 game though.. Date doesn't fit.

#10 Posted by Renevent42 (6654 posts) -
Enclave was mission based though right? And not sure if you started out in jail either but been YEARS since I played it.
#11 Posted by Remmib (2250 posts) -
Since it's been mentioned...thoughts/opinions on Arx Fatalis? I picked it up from GoG when it was $3.75, haven't gotten around to playing it yet obviously.
#12 Posted by Lucianu (10347 posts) -

Since it's been mentioned...thoughts/opinions on Arx Fatalis? I picked it up from GoG when it was $3.75, haven't gotten around to playing it yet obviously.Remmib

props

• pleasing artstyle
  • great story
  • fantastic atmosphere
  • a more or less unique setting (the world is under the ground, full of caves, tunnels & underground villages, due the surface being unhabitable because of a dying sun)
  • great areas to explore and visual details
  • sometimes satisfying combat

cons

• hard to get into
  • sometimes not so satisfying combat
#13 Posted by Renevent42 (6654 posts) -
Just to touch on the combat...it's a lot like the combat in Morrowind (at least the sword play) but it also has dismemberment and better blood effects. I always thought the superior of the two in that regard.
#14 Posted by ionusX (25760 posts) -

Just to touch on the combat...it's a lot like the combat in Morrowind (at least the sword play) but it also has dismemberment and better blood effects. I always thought the superior of the two in that regard.Renevent42

yes well after they were nearly senteced to death with daggerfall (go look up the making-of bits on daggerfall and about all the unfinished stuff on the game disk), they had to cut back.. and oblivion continues that trend..

i wont go into details but TESII origionally was going to have a.. colorful cast of.. exciting people who did risque things

if you own a retail copy of daggerfall.. the missing video and game files are all there..

i patiently wait for someone to mod the game to completion so the ESRB can be forced into giving it the a for adult rating :P

#15 Posted by Remmib (2250 posts) -

props

• pleasing artstyle
  • great story
  • fantastic atmosphere
  • a more or less unique setting (the world is under the ground, full of caves, tunnels & underground villages, due the surface being unhabitable because of a dying sun)
  • great areas to explore and visual details
  • sometimes satisfying combat

cons

• hard to get into
  • sometimes not so satisfying combat

Lucianu

Sounds awesome...especially the game taking place underground.

Just to touch on the combat...it's a lot like the combat in Morrowind (at least the sword play) but it also has dismemberment and better blood effects. I always thought the superior of the two in that regard.Renevent42

Sounds good to me. I enjoyed the hell out of Morrowind.

#16 Posted by kress-1 (102 posts) -

Sorry if this sounds really vague, but i've been racking my brain/ searching the net for weeks on this and can't find it at all.

From memoryI played it in the1999/2000 region, give or take a few years.

I can remember it being a 3dadventure type of thing where you acquire weapons such as swords etc, although i'm not sure if it was an rpg or not. I can remember going into a small dark looking village below the castle (after you get out of the cell/dungeon)in which you meet some enemies for i think the first time? It has kind of a dark oldy world feel to it but i can remember the graphics being decent. I think you can go up and talk to people also.

If you need any more details you could ask, can't promise i'd know anything though! Any help would be massively appreciated! :D

JoshBall196
Sounds similar to Blade of Darkness. If you play as the default character (the Knight) you begin in a cell inside a castle and you have to escape. The game is from 2001 and is well remembered for its graphics as well as its combat. It's not really an RPG, but more akin to Action-Adventure with RPG elements.
#18 Posted by flipin_jackass (9770 posts) -
Arx Fatalis came to my mind too... well, actually, Oblivion did, but that's not near your specified time frame.
#19 Posted by JoshBall196 (25 posts) -

All these are looking very familar, i've youtubed them all and don't think any match up. It looks pretty similar to Arx Fatalis and Enclave, although from my memory starts in like a smallish goldy/yellow room where i think you may be speaking to a woman. I think you can pick up equipment and items at the start, but remember going into an eery/dark looking village with various people about, this is a right thinker! thanks for all your suggestions :)

#20 Posted by Heyhuub (317 posts) -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWN41HD32EM

Severance: Blade of Darkness? You could definetly dismember enemies in it whit a large variety of weapons.

Loved this game back in the day, my PC was never quite up to it though back then.

#21 Posted by JoshBall196 (25 posts) -

Don't think it is this, looks very similar though. I also remember that you can go down to some docks and there is a ship there, don't think you are able to leave straight away though. You may be in search of something aswell, could be a person or some item! Trying to rack my brain to remember more about it :/!

#22 Posted by JoshBall196 (25 posts) -

+ it also may be in some strange world, i'm pretty sure it's still in like a castle kind of atmosphere! This is killing me! hahaa

#23 Posted by icen86 (110 posts) -

Was it Die by the Sword?

-wildflower-

Aww man I had nearly forgot this game, it was so much :D

#24 Posted by JoshBall196 (25 posts) -

Just found some others like Myst or Riven which may be similar to it.I can't remember now whether you had to click to walk to places, still can't think whether it was an rpg or just an adventure aswell :S

#25 Posted by lpjazzman220 (2249 posts) -

i know there was a 3rd person might and magic game...maybe?

#26 Posted by Welis (1431 posts) -
Return to Castle Wolfenstein? Just kiddng...
#27 Posted by JoshBall196 (25 posts) -

haha! neither ;/!

#28 Posted by RyuRanVII (4257 posts) -
I think it's Crusaders of Might and Magic!
#29 Posted by oddballrulez (1642 posts) -
Drakan! Though it could potentially (though unlikely be) be Heavy Metal Fak II Both great either way :') Drakans from 1999 and fits the description pretty damn well either way :P
#30 Posted by JoshBall196 (25 posts) -

None of the above i'm afraid :/!

#31 Posted by dakan45 (18819 posts) -
You dont start from a castle but king quest mask of eternity had a dak village.
#32 Posted by SkyWard20 (4509 posts) -

Prince of Persia 3D? You start in a jail cell there.

#33 Edited by wrose09 (25 posts) -

Sorry to bump a really old thread, but I too have been searching for this game. I'm sure we're looking for the same game.

#34 Posted by Farrque (1 posts) -

I finally found the one I've been searching for for almost 20 years, it was Die by the Sword.

Thank you so much "-wildflower-"!

#35 Posted by xantufrog (11625 posts) -

Why ion earth do people keep bumping this topic after YEARS have gone by? Thanks Google