Laptop keeps switching to my intel graphics card

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lil_bad_boy561

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 lil_bad_boy561
Member since 2005 • 97 Posts

Hi guy and girls as above.

its somthing thats starting to enoy me even thought my power options are set for performance and the intel power options.

lastnight i was playing skyrim on hight settings with a great framrate bought the Witcher 2 today and i whent to play it and it set it to low settings and i have a framrate of about 9-10 fps so I desided to check to see if it was a witch only problem an i booted up skyrim only for it to reconficer my setting for medium.

I check to see which device skyrim is running off it's my Intel HD not my NVIDIA GT 540m 2GB and i cant change it back.

i even have both skyrim and The witcher 2 set in the NVIDIA control panel to only use the GT540M but they wont.

the lastime this happended i had to reinstall my Nvidia driver (which are the current one's before anyone asks.)

Laptop Specs:

CPU Intel Core i7-2630QM with turbo boost 2GHz - 2.9GHZ.

GPU NVIDIA GT 540M.

Ram 8GB DDR3.

750 GB HDD.

Thanks in advanced guys.

simardbrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 simardbrad
Member since 2004 • 2355 Posts

Check your BIOS for the laptop.

There might be an option about using discrete graphics only or something along those lines.

AfroPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 AfroPirate
Member since 2008 • 675 Posts

That happens to me usually restarting the computer while plugged into the charger fixes the issue for me.

egger7577

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 egger7577
Member since 2004 • 721 Posts

Are you downloading Nvidia's mobile drivers or their desktop ones?

eclarkdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#5 eclarkdog
Member since 2004 • 1310 Posts

Wouldn't happen to be a Samsung laptop? I have almost the exact same model if so. I too dislike the GPU switcheroo. It's still a very good laptop and plays the many of the games I like to play. However, I went out a bought another stronger laptop for current games. I never figured out how to stop the switching and I tried several things.

PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 PublicNuisance
Member since 2009 • 4582 Posts

Have you checked in the power options ? It's goal is to save battery life so maybe you can turn it off from there.