KOTOR2 on steam and Restoration Mod works with it

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 0

#1 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Just a heads up for those who are wondering if the steam version of KOTOR2 works with the new Restoration mod that was released in July, it does work with the steam version!

It is very easy to get going to! Just a friendly heads up for the GS forum community.

Here is the article on Rock Paper Shotgun

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/08/24/get-these-kotor-2-and-its-restored-content-mod/

Get These: KOTOR2 and Its Restoration Mod

Vaguely controversial statement time! I far prefer Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 to KOTOR 1. I mean, BioWares original Death Star laser blast into a rather bland Star Wars gaming scene is a classic for a reason, but KOTOR 2 for all its flaws showed sparkling glints of actual brilliance. Unfortunately, a lot of people skipped it due to BioWares lack of involvement, bugginess, and an ending that sort of, well, didnt exist. But that was then, and now as of today KOTOR 2s finally on Steam. So Im going to show you how to turn it into the game it shouldve been all along.

Its actually really, really easy. Simply go hereto download KOTOR 2s restored content mod [edit - link updated to latest version], which after three years of painstaking excavation work is finally complete. Just drop that in KOTOR 2s SteamApp folder and you should be good to go. Among other things, the infamous HK (as in, HK-47, the galaxys most lovable human hater) Factory and the storys intended endings are back in. On top of that, the mod fixes over 500 bugs, because Obsidian, basically.

And now, if you need a bit more nudging, I will (without spoilers) put it this way: KOTOR 2 uses KOTOR 1s formula to deconstruct Star Wars andtell a highly entertaining story in the process. While Star Wars as a whole trends toward sweeping battles between Obvious Good and Even More Obvious Evil, KOTOR 2 paints in impressively subtle shades of gray. It may not sound like much, but just wait until a certain someone questions your every choice all the time forever, regardless of alleged alignment. Its quite a ride.

So yes, go play it. Otherwise, I will make my most disapproving face at you. Itll look like this :(

rhazzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 rhazzy
Member since 2009 • 1516 Posts

Thx for the heads up!

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 kozzy1234

Thx for the heads up!

rhazzy

No problem!

I now someone had posted about it finally coming to steam (KOTOR2), but a few people have asked me if I know weither it works with steam version or not.
This article from RPS should give people the answer/info they wanted :)

II-Siamak-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 II-Siamak-II
Member since 2012 • 480 Posts
What does this restoration mod do exactly?
THGarrett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#5 THGarrett
Member since 2003 • 2574 Posts

What does this restoration mod do exactly?II-Siamak-II
It's supposed to bring back a lot the content and voice work that was planned to be in the game, but Obsidian didn't have time to put it in since LucasArts wanted to rush the game for a holiday release. Levels such as the HK Droid Factory entrance which you can see in the original game but couldn't access.

eggdog1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 eggdog1234
Member since 2007 • 831 Posts
The restoration mod is a must if you are playing kotor2. As was mentioned it opens the HK factory, it also ties up each planet by adding content. It fixes tons of bugs. It makes the game much more complete although it still has some issues. The mod is super impressive if you have played the game without it. It does all sorts of little things that make a huge difference in the end.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 kozzy1234

As egg said, it adds alot of things to the game, although alot of them you might nto notice if tis yoru first time with KOTOR2. Alot of little smaller things that add up to ALOT by the end.

Bugs, new content,etc...

A MUST have for fans of KOTOR2 and KOTOR in general.

Think of it as a Directors Cut!

mep69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mep69
Member since 2008 • 1926 Posts
still haven't tried this mod. Is it worth the effort to replay ?
Fire_Wa11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 Fire_Wa11
Member since 2008 • 600 Posts

I love Obsidian and its parade of slightly flawed ambitions. Though they are a smaller company on shoestringier budget, their projects outshine their larger counterparts in many ways (unlike Cryptic Studios who just make me...sad.)

I thought Kotor 2's characters initially were more interesting than Kotor 1's but the overall story of Kotor 1 was more epic. (Spoiler) When Ballista gave in to the dark side I just about sh*t. While Kotor 2 didn't make me sh*t necessarily, I did enjoy shooting people in the back as Atton. Being able to split up the group along with greater stealth opportunities were welcome additions and seemed Obsidian-introduced as well.

(Spoiler) I had Kreia outfitted with a Gamorran battleaxe. She carried it with her all through the cutscene where she is sneaking about the Ebon Hawk and whispering in your companions' ears. It was sooooo creepy looking. I loved it!

(Spoiler) However, by the 3rd time they crashed me in a spaceship I was like, "Come on, Obsidian. Sheesh. Even George Lucas only introduced the Death Star TWICE?" Heh.

I probably won't play it again with the mod. I am backlogged due to the Steam Summer sale (a good kind of backlogged, a REALLY good kind of backlogged.) Lately I'm more into playing the crap out of a game the first time than doing too many 2nd playthroughs any way. To experience Kotor 2 for the first time WITH the restored content mod in place is a very good position to be in though if you're thinking about checking it out.

Avatar image for theintrospect79
theintrospect79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#10 theintrospect79
Member since 2004 • 2796 Posts

Never finished KotOR 2 when it cam out, so I'm looking forward to picking this up on Steam and playing it with the Restoration Mod :)

DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 DevilMightCry
Member since 2007 • 3554 Posts
I hope to play it. I loved KOTOR. How is it holding up graphically? Any mods that will spruce it up?
Avatar image for deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

User Lists: 1

#12 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
Member since 2008 • 4403 Posts

Played this game when I was, like, 9. Never finished. :(

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

Just a heads up for those who are wondering if the steam version of KOTOR2 works with the new Restoration mod that was released in July, it does work with the steam version!

It is very easy to get going to! Just a friendly heads up for the GS forum community.

Here is the article on Rock Paper Shotgun

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/08/24/get-these-kotor-2-and-its-restored-content-mod/

Get These: KOTOR2 and Its Restoration Mod

Vaguely controversial statement time! I far prefer Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 to KOTOR 1. I mean, BioWares original Death Star laser blast into a rather bland Star Wars gaming scene is a classic for a reason, but KOTOR 2 for all its flaws showed sparkling glints of actual brilliance. Unfortunately, a lot of people skipped it due to BioWares lack of involvement, bugginess, and an ending that sort of, well, didnt exist. But that was then, and now as of today KOTOR 2s finally on Steam. So Im going to show you how to turn it into the game it shouldve been all along.

Its actually really, really easy. Simply go hereto download KOTOR 2s restored content mod [edit - link updated to latest version], which after three years of painstaking excavation work is finally complete. Just drop that in KOTOR 2s SteamApp folder and you should be good to go. Among other things, the infamous HK (as in, HK-47, the galaxys most lovable human hater) Factory and the storys intended endings are back in. On top of that, the mod fixes over 500 bugs, because Obsidian, basically.

And now, if you need a bit more nudging, I will (without spoilers) put it this way: KOTOR 2 uses KOTOR 1s formula to deconstruct Star Wars andtell a highly entertaining story in the process. While Star Wars as a whole trends toward sweeping battles between Obvious Good and Even More Obvious Evil, KOTOR 2 paints in impressively subtle shades of gray. It may not sound like much, but just wait until a certain someone questions your every choice all the time forever, regardless of alleged alignment. Its quite a ride.

So yes, go play it. Otherwise, I will make my most disapproving face at you. Itll look like this :(

kozzy1234
oh how i wish i had my old rig....will be keeping this in mind
robertlie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 robertlie
Member since 2003 • 866 Posts

Just to bad that the widescreen mod i used reverted the .exe file to an older version. Yesterday the swoop race bug really got on my nerve, luckily a save game editor fixed it. But beware; If you forfeit a race, i got stuck with the "You have to finish the race" line, even when i did finish the race...

And i noticed that there arent any clear indicators that the Restoration mod actually works with steam, can anyone confirm it? Any telling signs in the beginning of the game etc?

eggdog1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 eggdog1234
Member since 2007 • 831 Posts

Just to bad that the widescreen mod i used reverted the .exe file to an older version. Yesterday the swoop race bug really got on my nerve, luckily a save game editor fixed it. But beware; If you forfeit a race, i got stuck with the "You have to finish the race" line, even when i did finish the race...

And i noticed that there arent any clear indicators that the Restoration mod actually works with steam, can anyone confirm it? Any telling signs in the beginning of the game etc?

robertlie

The start/launch screen should be different when starting the game if the restoration mod is installed properly...not sure if the steam version is the same or not though.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

I hope to play it. I loved KOTOR. How is it holding up graphically? Any mods that will spruce it up?DevilMightCry

Compred to KotoR, it's technically the same, but Obsidian is a lot worse at deisgning art and environments than bioware (kotor) or bethesda (comparing FO3 and Vegas), but it didn't detract from the the story at all for me.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 kozzy1234

I hope to play it. I loved KOTOR. How is it holding up graphically? Any mods that will spruce it up?DevilMightCry

Its not bad graphically at all, its the same engine as KOTOR1 though, so the grapchis wont blow you away.

To me personally it might not have as good of locations but everything else is better in KOTOR2 to me, story, characters, dialogue,etc.. are much better in KOTOR2.

RS13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 RS13
Member since 2012 • 1135 Posts

I know I'm several months late on this, but I really want to know: does the mod work with mac?