KotOR 2 before playing KoTOR 1 *spoilers*

This topic is locked from further discussion.

0N1_L3G3ND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 0N1_L3G3ND
Member since 2004 • 1046 Posts
So long story short, I never got the chance to play either KotOR for xbox. I recently got it for PC but my friend ruined the first game by telling me that the main character is darth revan or malak or whatever. Is it still worth playing through the first one before KotOR 2 just so I understand/ enjoy the smaller parts of KotOR 2 or should I just start with the second one?
jedinat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 jedinat
Member since 2003 • 3560 Posts
KotOR 1 is widely considered to be the better of the two. Play it, and wait for the KotOR 2 Restoration Project to be released (hopefully soon) and then play it. They are both great games. The first one is still a great game even if you know about Revan. There are plenty of surprises and such besides, and knowing the "big secret" certainly didn't stop me from replaying the game.
0N1_L3G3ND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 0N1_L3G3ND
Restoration project? What is it restoring, and when is it going to be finished? And obviously the story won't have the same feel if I play it knowing what I do, but will I still feel satisfied after completing it (kotor1)?
jedinat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jedinat
Member since 2003 • 3560 Posts

Restoration project? What is it restoring, and when is it going to be finished? And obviously the story won't have the same feel if I play it knowing what I do, but will I still feel satisfied after completing it (kotor1)?0N1_L3G3ND

It's a mod that will restore cut content from the game, and hopfully improve the rather lame ending portion of KotOR 2. It's been in the works forever, but from what I can see is hopefully approaching a public release.

You'll still feel satisfied playing KotOR 1. It's not like the Revan thing is what the entire game rests on. You'll have lots of fun roleplaying as the goodie-goodie Jedi, or an utterly evil Sith. (or something in-between... but that's no fun is it?)

Avatar image for deactivated-61d84d87dcc8a
deactivated-61d84d87dcc8a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 deactivated-61d84d87dcc8a
Member since 2004 • 402 Posts

it saddens me that you had to find out imo the best part of the story without actually playing through it. fortunately I was able to get to that part and experience it without spoilers, and it's a really well planned out story. i'd still recommend playing through KOTOR before KOTOR 2, because frankly KOTOR is a better game. I replayed KOTOR 5 times and KOTOR 2 twice, so dont worry about the spoiler ruining the experience too much, although it really is a shame. but seeing as I replayed the first one alot and still had fun each time tryihng out new things, i wouuldn't worry about not having fun or anything like that because you certainly will.

the beginning takes a while (you dont start off with awesome Jedi like status and Jedi powers obviously) but once you get off the first planet it gets really fun, well it did for me anyway.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

If the story is all you care about, there's no reason to play it now. Reading the script would kind of help you finish games much quicker if that's all you want from a game.

It's still a fun game to play, and the personalities of your party are awesome.

filmography

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 filmography
Member since 2004 • 3202 Posts

Its totally worth it to play KOTOR, its an excellent game with a great story, characters and it has tremendous reply value. KOTOR 2 on the other hand is a real let down. If you play any of the kotor games just make sure you play the first one.

0N1_L3G3ND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 0N1_L3G3ND
Thank you guys for the input! And I'd appreciate anymore that people have to give ^.^
Noldorin2646

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Noldorin2646
Member since 2007 • 641 Posts
Kotor is simply a must-play game regardless of spoilers. To be honest, I appreciated Kotor a lot more for its subtlety on my second run through.
Angarah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Angarah
Member since 2006 • 1281 Posts

I did the same, i played KOTOR 2 before KOTOR, and thus knew the storyline

Still play it. Everything you loved about KOTOR 2 is intensified in KOTOR 1... though some worlds may seem like a step back.

Private_Vegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Private_Vegas
Member since 2007 • 2783 Posts
I played KotoR 2 before 1 and I still enjoyed both throughly.
Rottenberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Rottenberry
Member since 2004 • 4908 Posts
I actually figuired out the great "twist" in the original KoTOR quite a while before it actually occured in the storyline... but yeah, it was still a fun playthrough. I still don't consider it one of the greatest RPGs as so many herald it to be, however. I save that spot for Planescape: Torment ;)
artur79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 artur79
Member since 2005 • 4679 Posts

I revealed the ending to a friend by accident... *smack my head* Felt like an ass for doing that. I feel for you, man. That twist took me by surprise and I won't lie to you, it was one of the highlights of the game.

Still, I've played Kotor 7 times or something. It's starting to get old, during my last playthrough I though: "Maybe this is the last time I play this game..." That's a first.

Fantastic game, play it!