Killing myself trying to find a good television.

ThisIsTheMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ThisIsTheMan
Member since 2006 • 32 Posts

So the beginning of this year I bought a Sony TV, the KDL40R380B. It took me several months before I realized that it had major motion blurring. Fast forward to now and I decided to sell it and buy a new TV, so I shopped around and asked for good televisions that wouldn't have this problem and one of the most commonly recommended TV's at sub-500$ for gaming, was the Vizio E series tv's. So I went and bought a Vizio E48-C2, brought it home, hooked it up and voila, it's even worse than the Sony was.

So I go shopping around again, looking everywhere I can trying to find response time for ANY televisions and nobody lists it, like the only company that seems to list panel response times is RCA and they're largely considered to make shitty televisions. It's pissing me off because no-one I ask knows the response times of any of their tv's, I emailed Vizio, they responded back with "the refresh rate of our E Series tv's is 120hz" that's not the response time. I emailed Sony and asked what the response time of the W6 series televisions is and was told I need to call in to get this information, so tomorrow I'll be calling and asking and they probably won't have an answer.

Basically, I know that the problem is the response time of the screen, good PC monitors list 2ms response times. I've figured out that 4ms on a television is perfectly acceptable and has no noticeable blur, maybe even as much as 8ms is not too bad but I'm not sure about that.

I have a budget of $500, I would like at least a 40" TV. Does anyone have any idea what a good television in or at least close to this price would be, that has no motion blur issues whatsoever?

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

All TV's will have some degree of motion blur. You need a monitor

ThisIsTheMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ThisIsTheMan

@klunt_bumskrint: I understand that TV's don't have the response time of Monitors, but as I said the RCA's have 4ms and 8ms response times, I've used these TV's and there's no noticeable motion blur. I'm not looking for perfect, I just want better than the Vizio and Sony ones I've used, which based on what I've seen they must be 10-15ms.

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

I think it's one of those things. Once you've noticed it you can't un-notice it. Get a ROG swift :D

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#5  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17792 Posts

@klunt_bumskrint: I have a 60" Sony W850B. It is highly rated for gaming, but I have trouble playing on anything other than my Swift these days. 1440p, 144hz, 1 ms, and G-Sync. There are no TVs that offer that kind of experience.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

As others already said, get a bit smaller monitor and enjoy real gaming experience:

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/monitor/#W=3000,3500&T=1,5&sort=a8&page=1&r=256001440 I've narrowed it for you - 3 monitors on 3 different brands - 1440p, 32', 4-5ms and a price tag of about 500$

Metallic_Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Metallic_Blade
Member since 2005 • 565 Posts

If you have the room, have you considered perhaps getting a plasma display over a LCD one? If from what I understood the OP was right, motion blur practically doesn't exist on most plasmas and CRT displays. LCD's will ALWAYS have some motion blur as it is just a trait of their technology.

If you are fine with the increased power consumption, I'd check them out.

ayanami000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ayanami000
Member since 2015 • 125 Posts

Having a good TV/Monitor is a must in every gamer. Haha.

ThisIsTheMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ThisIsTheMan

@ayanami000 said:

Having a good TV/Monitor is a must in every gamer. Haha.

To you and everyone else recommending a monitor, I have a BenQ model with 2ms response time and it's great and all. But I'm looking for an actual television that I can have several feet away from me, plug new and old game consoles into and not have to sit and hunch over a computer desk. Besides that, I just enjoy gaming more when I'm away from my PC and everything connected to it, if this were not the case then I wouldn't own a console to begin with and I wouldn't be asking about TV's.

@Metallic_Blade said:

If you have the room, have you considered perhaps getting a plasma display over a LCD one? If from what I understood the OP was right, motion blur practically doesn't exist on most plasmas and CRT displays. LCD's will ALWAYS have some motion blur as it is just a trait of their technology.

If you are fine with the increased power consumption, I'd check them out.

I have been looking into it but it doesn't seem like Plasmas are very common these days and they seem to be quite expensive. I've not found one under $500.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#10  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17792 Posts

You have a budget of $500 but have very strict demands. Sometimes you have to compromise if you want cheap things. You got to pay more for quality.

ThisIsTheMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ThisIsTheMan

@BassMan: I have one specific thing I want though, is that such a strict demand? Sure if I wanted amazing picture quality, low input lag, high refresh rate, 55" tv and the whole shebang then I would agree with you. But I'm asking only for low response time in the 40" range, under half a thousand dollars.

And let's keep in mind that even larger more expensive tv's, for some reason don't bother to mention the response time either. Here is a 1500$ television from sony, click on the specifications, does it list the response time? Of course not. So it doesn't seem to matter what price range I go to, nobody mentions their response times except the cheapest brand on the market. http://store.sony.com/55-class-54.6-diag-4k-ultra-hd-tv-zid27-XBR55X850C/cat-27-catid-All-Sony-HD-TVs

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@ThisIsTheMan said:

@BassMan: I have one specific thing I want though, is that such a strict demand? Sure if I wanted amazing picture quality, low input lag, high refresh rate, 55" tv and the whole shebang then I would agree with you. But I'm asking only for low response time in the 40" range, under half a thousand dollars.

And let's keep in mind that even larger more expensive tv's, for some reason don't bother to mention the response time either. Here is a 1500$ television from sony, click on the specifications, does it list the response time? Of course not. So it doesn't seem to matter what price range I go to, nobody mentions their response times except the cheapest brand on the market. http://store.sony.com/55-class-54.6-diag-4k-ultra-hd-tv-zid27-XBR55X850C/cat-27-catid-All-Sony-HD-TVs

There's a reason they don't list the response time, 99% of people don't care or they research A LOT in advance.

If they listed the response time, people would get confused between refresh rate and response time, people get confused now with monitors, and increasing one value doesn't mean the other value increases or decreases.

The more numbers you throw at people, the more confused they get.

ThisIsTheMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ThisIsTheMan

@GTR12: They don't list it in the tech specs even though, and when I email to ask they tell me they don't know. So clearly it's not even a thing the techs know. I'm sitting here trying to research a LOT in advance and can't find any of the information I need.

So if people get confused by numbers they should stop throwing worthless crap like WOO 120 HZ CLEAR FLOW AQUA MOTION BLAZE IT! and start listing things that matter like the response time which actually is what causes motion blur.

locus-solus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 locus-solus
Member since 2013 • 1557 Posts

@ThisIsTheMan: Rtings.com should give you a idea of what tv to buy. they go over input lag and motion blur in there reviews.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

It's a shame you can't pick up a Plasma TV in your area. If you could find a Panasonic TC-P42S60 in your area (craigslist?), that would give you arguably the best screen you can get for the $. One of the reasons being is that it's the best 42" Plasma in existence. I picked a brand new one for $450 years back - amazing deal. They're still floating around, but are a lot harder to find these days. If you found one, it'd be a jackpot IMO. Response time is great and the contrast is unbeatable. The TC-P50S60 (the 50" model) is also floating around Craigslist for the same price.

joseph_mach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By joseph_mach
Member since 2003 • 3898 Posts

I've got a good friend who was looking for an "all around" monitor like you. After researching it, he went with a Samsung UN40J6200. It's a 40" LED with little to no blur while he's gaming on it. I'm not sure of what the exact response time is, but it doesn't lag when he's gaming on his PC. He uses it to watch movies on (streaming from his PC), games on his PS4, and so on. I've seen the picture and it's pretty nice. Last I saw it was $450 on Amazon. It's one that you can take a look at and research on, read the reviews, etc.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17  Edited By skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Make sure its 120 or 144hz if it for gaming. Ive recently got a 144hz monitor and would never go back now to 60hz. If I was you I would get a 144hz monitor for gaming and TV to watch TV and movies. I got Asus vg27he and it was only £300. My other tv is too big to fit in same room on my desk so looking for a TV for Consoles and films. Just use the monitor purely for gaming as its rubbish for everything else.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@skipper847 said:

Make sure its 120 or 144hz if it for gaming. Ive recently got a 144hz monitor and would never go back now to 60hz. If I was you I would get a 144hz monitor for gaming and TV to watch TV and movies. I got Asus vg27he and it was only £300. My other tv is too big to fit in same room on my desk so looking for a TV for Consoles and films. Just use the monitor purely for gaming as its rubbish for everything else.

TV's don't do that sort of thing. If he's console gaming, 120/140 is no benefit.

ThisIsTheMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ThisIsTheMan

@KHAndAnime: thanks for the recommendation, I've decided to just go for a cheap RCA for now but I'm going to put some money aside for a while and buy a plasma down the line.

@locus-solus:Thanks for the link, I forgot they existed.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

@skipper847 said:

As far as I'm aware there are no TVs that will accept an input signal of higher than 60Hz.