This topic is locked from further discussion.

Coughs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Coughs
Member since 2007 • 813 Posts
If you don't have one, Do not reply: Is this product good?
kodex1717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 kodex1717
Member since 2005 • 5925 Posts
No one has one.
Coughs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Coughs
whyyyyy
t0adphr0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 t0adphr0g
Member since 2006 • 882 Posts

I have one, and yes, it does make a huge difference. I have FiOs internet (15Mb down) and I can see much lower pings now than I ever did with my 3COM Gigabit.

As an example, before my lowest server pings in games were around 15, I thought that was incredible, until I replaced my card with the KillerNIC, I then see pings less than 5! Mostly around 1-2 most times.

So yes people have this card, and yes it makes a difference. My kills per hour went up about 25!

Coughs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Coughs
threepac81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 threepac81
Member since 2003 • 3459 Posts
Jeez what were you pinging...? Pluto? Or your default gateway?
Coughs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Coughs
Most people hate it because of the price :(
codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#8 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
Jeez what were you pinging...? Pluto? Or your default gateway?threepac81
Sounds like someone is jealous :P
TrooperManaic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 TrooperManaic
Member since 2004 • 3863 Posts
[QUOTE="threepac81"]Jeez what were you pinging...? Pluto? Or your default gateway?codezer0
Sounds like someone is jealous :P

lol I am jealous
Coughs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Coughs
Anyone eles have an opinion on it?
codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#11 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
I don't have one, but I agree with the principle behind it, and think it has great potential to be a very powerful NIC for gaming and just about any other network-related task (torrents, servers, etc.). But the asking price of $300 is basically going to keep it out of most people's hands... and only if they could drop the price significantly could they get enough people to buy it, use it, and make apps that could run on its dedicated processor.
Coughs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Coughs
Thanks for that info.
F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts

http://forum.ncix.com/forums/topic.php?id=1304406

Here's a pretty thorough review of the killer nic. It even has some posts from the manufacturer talking about the card. Good read.

Baselerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14 Baselerd
Member since 2003 • 5104 Posts

I would be very hesitant into purchasing one. I have a sad story about this. My friend bought one.

So he got one, and after he hooked it up it slowed down his browser substantially (took like 15 seconds to load google) and he couldnt connect to WoW servers. He posts a few threads regarding this on the official forums, and they are deleted by the mods! He does again, and then he gets his account banned. I guess NIC likes to keep their forums clean :-S.

So naturally, he calls the support line. They tell him to ship them the card and theyll send him a replacement. Ok, w/e.. right it doesnt sound like the card is bad, but that's all theyll offer. After about 2 weeks he calls again, wondering what the deal is because he still didnt get it back. After a huge fandangle they ship it to him after another week. He gets it back, and the card is physically damaged. It was obviously someone else's RMA, and NIC didnt even repair it or something before they sent it back as a replacement. It didnt work at all and his pc didnt boot with it. So he calls them again and tells them the deal, and they said they cant accept physically damaged cards for rma's.

So now 3 months later he has a broken killer NIC card...

Also, might I add that there are basically infinite things better you could spend $250 on, even if the KillerNIC works for you...

Coughs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Coughs

I would be very hesitant into purchasing one. I have a sad story about this. My friend bought one.

So he got one, and after he hooked it up it slowed down his browser substantially (took like 15 seconds to load google) and he couldnt connect to WoW servers. He posts a few threads regarding this on the official forums, and they are deleted by the mods! He does again, and then he gets his account banned. I guess NIC likes to keep their forums clean :-S.

So naturally, he calls the support line. They tell him to ship them the card and theyll send him a replacement. Ok, w/e.. right it doesnt sound like the card is bad, but that's all theyll offer. After about 2 weeks he calls again, wondering what the deal is because he still didnt get it back. After a huge fandangle they ship it to him after another week. He gets it back, and the card is physically damaged. It was obviously someone else's RMA, and NIC didnt even repair it or something before they sent it back as a replacement. It didnt work at all and his pc didnt boot with it. So he calls them again and tells them the deal, and they said they cant accept physically damaged cards for rma's.

So now 3 months later he has a broken killer NIC card...

Also, might I add that there are basically infinite things better you could spend $250 on, even if the KillerNIC works for you...

Baselerd

Sorry to hear man.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Placebo effect?........
Coughs