Jumped right into Half-Life 2; would like a small summary of Half-Life 1.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for remmbermytitans
remmbermytitans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 remmbermytitans
Member since 2005 • 7214 Posts
So I bought the Orange Box, and am playing Half-Life 2, and I wanted to know the main story behind Half-Life 1. I've picked up a few pieces as I played Half-Life 2, but I figure a summary would be nice. Does anyone care to explain or link me to a summary of Half-Life 1?

EDIT: Also, I ran into this odd glitch while playing HL2. This took place during the prison.
kieran88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 kieran88
Member since 2004 • 2273 Posts
Gordon freeman (you) works in some research facility called 'black mesa' you're testing portal technology using some crystal sample that a nameless benefactor supplied you with. Experiment goes wrong, causing aliens to spill from their world into ours. You basicaly fight to survive and when you win you're put into cryostasis by the gman. You awake some time later and the portal storms (with aliens) has apparently ruined the world. half life 2.... go!
fatshodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 fatshodan
Member since 2008 • 2886 Posts
Play it instead.
zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 zomglolcats
Member since 2008 • 4335 Posts

Well this is probably the best summary you're going to find:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-Life_(video_game)

remmbermytitans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 remmbermytitans
Gordon freeman (you) works in some research facility called 'black mesa' you're testing portal technology using some crystal sample that a nameless benefactor supplied you with. Experiment goes wrong, causing aliens to spill from their world into ours. You basicaly fight to survive and when you win you're put into cryostasis by the gman. You awake some time later and the portal storms (with aliens) has apparently ruined the world. half life 2.... go!kieran88

What's up with Alyx, her father, and Black Mesa? What's their history? And, is Black Mesa also a military powerhouse? Cause it seems that in HL2 it's a world with a military dictatorship.
GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
Gordon Freeman is some physics scientist. Your deep in Black Mesa and you put some crystal in some laser. The place blows up and you fight your way out. Some scientist decides it'd be a good idea to teleport you to the alien world and you go kill some alien queen. At the end you meet some guy in a suit, you decline your choice to work with him and he teleports you to an alien world where you meet your certain death.
kieran88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 kieran88
Member since 2004 • 2273 Posts

Gordon Freeman is some physics scientist. Your deep in Black Mesa and you put some crystal in some laser. The place blows up and you fight your way out. Some scientist decides it'd be a good idea to teleport you to the alien world and you go kill some alien queen. At the end you meet some guy in a suit, you decline your choice to work with him and he teleports you to an alien world where you meet your certain death.GodLovesDead

for non canon ending.

As for Alyx. She's not in the first one at all. Her dad is just a random scientist who's survived black mesa, same with barney. Black Mesa was a top secret research facility in new mexico, with the best minds from around the world, working primarily on portal technology.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c20477a5e387
deactivated-5c20477a5e387

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5c20477a5e387
Member since 2003 • 4291 Posts
Playing the original Half Life will in no way make you understand what's going on in Half Life 2.
Begemott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Begemott
Member since 2005 • 808 Posts
youtube Half Life In 60 Seconds on youtube. Stop the movie when it starts showing half life 2.
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Wikipedia has one........
JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts

http://members.shaw.ca/halflifestory/

Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts

Half Life also comes with 2 expansion packs. in Opposing Force, you are Adrian Shephard, a young marine and part of the special forces sent to "solve" the Black Mesa crisis. Blue Shift, on the other hand, allows you to follow the path of Barney as he struggles to survive and find his way out of Black Mesa alive.

with the original Half Life, the series provides 3 different perspective to the event that would ultimately change the fate of all humanity. in short? get the anthology. you need to play it.

Adrianstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Adrianstalker
Member since 2008 • 1467 Posts

There is some great fan site about Half Life series with an incredible detailed story with a dateline of events that happened since the first game. It covers theories, mysteries, loopholes on the story, all Easter eggs you can find and stuff like that

Cant remember the name of the site though, I just wondered if anyone else knows about it

thenewau25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#15 thenewau25
Member since 2007 • 2058 Posts

Play it instead.fatshodan

this its far better than hl2 try in steam you ll find it!

Deadly_Fatalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Deadly_Fatalis
Member since 2006 • 1756 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slRsexrhbG8

You'll know what I mean.

raunaq_morarka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 raunaq_morarka
Member since 2004 • 88 Posts

Hey guys with HL1 is there a mod to make the game look better and run better on today's technology ?DeViLzzz

There's half-life:source, hl1 on source engine.

And the 2nd expansion for hl1 (blue shift) adds better textures to the game.

Bullet_Holes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Bullet_Holes
Member since 2006 • 1330 Posts

So I bought the Orange Box, and am playing Half-Life 2, and I wanted to know the main story behind Half-Life 1. I've picked up a few pieces as I played Half-Life 2, but I figure a summary would be nice. Does anyone care to explain or link me to a summary of Half-Life 1?

EDIT: Also, I ran into this odd glitch while playing HL2. This took place during the prison.
remmbermytitans

Dam what a pimp

raunaq_morarka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 raunaq_morarka
Member since 2004 • 88 Posts

There is some great fan site about Half Life series with an incredible detailed story with a dateline of events that happened since the first game. It covers theories, mysteries, loopholes on the story, all Easter eggs you can find and stuff like that

Cant remember the name of the site though, I just wondered if anyone else knows about it

Adrianstalker

It's this one i think: http://members.shaw.ca/halflifestory/

tratyu92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 tratyu92
Member since 2006 • 1773 Posts
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=slRsexrhbG8 I'm sorry I just had to. :lol: :P
Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#21 Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts

Gordon freeman (you) works in some research facility called 'black mesa' you're testing portal technology using some crystal sample that a nameless benefactor supplied you with. Experiment goes wrong, causing aliens to spill from their world into ours. You basicaly fight to survive and when you win you're put into cryostasis by the gman. You awake some time later and the portal storms (with aliens) has apparently ruined the world. half life 2.... go!kieran88

So it's basically DOOM? Never played HL1.

thenewau25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 thenewau25

[QUOTE="kieran88"]Gordon freeman (you) works in some research facility called 'black mesa' you're testing portal technology using some crystal sample that a nameless benefactor supplied you with. Experiment goes wrong, causing aliens to spill from their world into ours. You basicaly fight to survive and when you win you're put into cryostasis by the gman. You awake some time later and the portal storms (with aliens) has apparently ruined the world. half life 2.... go!Gooeykat

you should its the best fps unlike doom you dont jsut shoot and find keys you need to break and blow stuff climb ladders pick up stuff and place them around to climb also so psychics puzzles ans you got grenades, also you relaod your weapons there are zombies monsters aliens commandos snipers tnaks and choppers, its much more than doom!

fetelth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 fetelth
Member since 2008 • 130 Posts

[QUOTE="fatshodan"]Play it instead.thenewau25

this its far better than hl2 try in steam you ll find it!

Not even close to HL2. Especially when you count the episodes. Nostalgia probably
thenewau25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 thenewau25
ohh it is it has better areas and enemies more action less borring puzzle crap in 98 it was the best fps all the way till 2001 in hl2 fans started to run away bored solving puzzles and borring combat, and WITH the episodes still its a longer fps!
fetelth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 fetelth
Member since 2008 • 130 Posts
Better areas? You spend 90% of the game fighting in Black Mesa which is all the same. HL has tons of puzzles, and the firefights also feel more stale. So if HL1 came after HL2, you would think it's better?
machockey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26 machockey
Member since 2004 • 320 Posts
my friend, that is no glitch...... its heaven. :D
Virus214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Virus214
Member since 2007 • 2052 Posts

Play it instead.fatshodan

its hard to play a game like that... cause its so old..

ReaperV7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ReaperV7
Member since 2008 • 6756 Posts

here you go.

just make sure you close the link before the half-life 2 part

claytoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 claytoma
Member since 2002 • 1508 Posts

Half-life 1 = shoot lots of stuff, while being subjected to bad graphics.

Half-life 2 = shoot lots of stuff, manipulate some stuff, and have a hell of a time doing it.

Some people talk of a story being included with the games, but that went right over my head. I guess I was have too much fun shooting stuff.

remmbermytitans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 remmbermytitans
Hold the phone. I just finished HL2, and who the hell is that old guy at the end? Right as everything blows up?
Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#31 Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts
[QUOTE="Gooeykat"]

[QUOTE="kieran88"]Gordon freeman (you) works in some research facility called 'black mesa' you're testing portal technology using some crystal sample that a nameless benefactor supplied you with. Experiment goes wrong, causing aliens to spill from their world into ours. You basicaly fight to survive and when you win you're put into cryostasis by the gman. You awake some time later and the portal storms (with aliens) has apparently ruined the world. half life 2.... go!thenewau25

you should its the best fps unlike doom you dont jsut shoot and find keys you need to break and blow stuff climb ladders pick up stuff and place them around to climb also so psychics puzzles ans you got grenades, also you relaod your weapons there are zombies monsters aliens commandos snipers tnaks and choppers, its much more than doom!

Actually I was talking about the storyline, gameplay is much different from what you say. Sounds alot like HL2.

Pittfan666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#32 Pittfan666
Member since 2003 • 8638 Posts

[QUOTE="fatshodan"]Play it instead.Virus214

Nonsense. One can never play HL1 enough.

johnny27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33 johnny27
Member since 2006 • 4400 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slRsexrhbG8

here a quick summary for u

CellAnimation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 CellAnimation
Member since 2007 • 6116 Posts
[QUOTE="Virus214"]

[QUOTE="fatshodan"]Play it instead.Pittfan666

Nonsense. One can never play HL1 enough.

Indeed, I'm playing Half-Life Source at the moment it's great fun. I've got The Orange Box installed but I'm not even starting HL2 until I finish the first. As for it being old, BFD... it's fun as all hell.