Join The Gamespot Folding Team!!!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201 Kurushio
Member since 2004 • 10485 Posts
I just completed another WU and now im on the Amber core which has only 250 frames but its taking 24min a frame and the thing is HUGE. Whats the biggest WU by which i mean longest frame anyone else has done? It seems the smaller you go the longer it takes.
Krall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#202 Krall
Member since 2002 • 16463 Posts
I just completed another WU and now im on the Amber core which has only 250 frames but its taking 24min a frame and the thing is HUGE. Whats the biggest WU by which i mean longest frame anyone else has done? It seems the smaller you go the longer it takes.Kurushio

hmm Amber core? I guess I don't pay enough attention to know what it's working on, I just let it fold.
Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203 Kurushio
Im sure that soon ill lose interest about what its doing and just let it do whatever but whenever i get or do something new i like to learn pretty much everything there is about it until it gets boring lmao.
Krall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 Krall
Im sure that soon ill lose interest about what its doing and just let it do whatever but whenever i get or do something new i like to learn pretty much everything there is about it until it gets boring lmao.Kurushio

hehe yeah I know what you mean. When I started folding a year or so ago I read up on everything to optimize the clients and I watched what it folded and how long it took. Now I just let it do its thing ;)
Konrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 Konrad
Member since 2002 • 8242 Posts
Makes me glad ot see this is still going strong, fold 'em hard!
Avatar image for deactivated-5fdd601d80bef
deactivated-5fdd601d80bef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#206 deactivated-5fdd601d80bef
Member since 2003 • 4251 Posts
Just joined with a decent computer, happy to be part of the team :D
ThE_MuTiLaToR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#207 ThE_MuTiLaToR
Member since 2005 • 2621 Posts
Do I get a badge for this?
Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 Kurushio
Im pretty sure you dont get anything other than a place in the folding team.  Im just about to break the top 50 and ive been doing it for quite awhile now.
ThE_MuTiLaToR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 ThE_MuTiLaToR
Member since 2005 • 2621 Posts
Im pretty sure you dont get anything other than a place in the folding team. Im just about to break the top 50 and ive been doing it for quite awhile now.Kurushio

Darn. I wanted a badge.
__MACK__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#210 __MACK__
Member since 2003 • 10261 Posts

I would love to help cure cancer, but I dont want to analyze chemicals.Yodeling_Punk

12-15 types of cancer have already been cured, this is something completely different...

Avatar image for TheLiberalTruth
TheLiberalTruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 TheLiberalTruth
Member since 2005 • 3151 Posts

[QUOTE="Yodeling_Punk"]I would love to help cure cancer, but I dont want to analyze chemicals.__MACK__

12-15 types of cancer have already been cured, this is something completely different...

Huh?  There are no types of cancer that have 0% death rates.
SpartanFox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 SpartanFox
Member since 2004 • 76 Posts
I think that it can be rephrased to "can be cured", and then it will make more sense.

btw, signed up :)
sepheronX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#213 sepheronX
Member since 2005 • 1388 Posts
but what ive noticed though, is what we have been doing for the past 200 years or so, weve been feeding people chemicals and such to see if it helps them at all. But in the end, either the disease will mutate so it will become more leathal or it will be immune to all the chemicals. I know this for a fact, cause i remeber there were outbreaks of small pox and all in sertain areas of brazill and such not long ago, and we havnt had smallpox in a long time. Also people used ginger back in the early 1900's to help cure the common cold, and it worked, but doesnt work anymore. Disease have been mutating and growing even more dangerous in the past 20-40 years. And even if we find a cure now, another disease will take its place and who knows, that could be the disease that kills off the human race. But its always best to delay the inevitable. So im folding.
SpartanFox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 SpartanFox
Member since 2004 • 76 Posts
[QUOTE="sepheronX"]but what ive noticed though, is what we have been doing for the past 200 years or so, weve been feeding people chemicals and such to see if it helps them at all. But in the end, either the disease will mutate so it will become more leathal or it will be immune to all the chemicals. I know this for a fact, cause i remeber there were outbreaks of small pox and all in sertain areas of brazill and such not long ago, and we havnt had smallpox in a long time. Also people used ginger back in the early 1900's to help cure the common cold, and it worked, but doesnt work anymore. Disease have been mutating and growing even more dangerous in the past 20-40 years. And even if we find a cure now, another disease will take its place and who knows, that could be the disease that kills off the human race. But its always best to delay the inevitable. So im folding.

well...it will get to the point that if you know how to manipulate genes and all the basic building blocks of a particular disease, it suddenly becomes a lot easier to determine a cure. Of course, I'm not a biochemist, so I don't know for sure, but at least it makes sense in that framework. There are other folding projects that help map the human genome, for example, to help discover cures for cancer and such. So it depends on the applications of the stuff we are doing. We may not need to use chemicals in the future, who knows.
__MACK__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 __MACK__
[QUOTE="__MACK__"]

[QUOTE="Yodeling_Punk"]I would love to help cure cancer, but I dont want to analyze chemicals.TheLiberalTruth

Huh?  There are no types of cancer that have 0% death rates.

I knew that, I'm just saying there is already a cure for many different types of cancer. Of course, if this has been taken into effect mainstream then "they" would be out of business.

Others like AIDS, Arthritis, Diabetes etc also have a cure for those as well.

sepheronX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#216 sepheronX
Member since 2005 • 1388 Posts
acutaly they dont have cures, we just have things that hold em back and help the person live longer than that of who doesnt get this medicine. I know that for a fact cause my grandfather has diabetes and he only has something like 1-2 years left to live, and there is no cure, and its getting worse. Ive personaly seen him take the chemicals we use and such, and hes been taking it alot cause they told him too, and now some of the chemicals he takes doesnt work effectivly anymore, almost as if the diabetes is now growing. But im folding for NCIX.com
Avatar image for deactivated-633b5569a534e
deactivated-633b5569a534e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 deactivated-633b5569a534e
Member since 2005 • 307 Posts
hm.. the folding program doesnt like intel speedstep. itll run slow if im not abusing my processor...
__MACK__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 __MACK__

acutaly they dont have cures, we just have things that hold em back and help the person live longer than that of who doesnt get this medicine. I know that for a fact cause my grandfather has diabetes and he only has something like 1-2 years left to live, and there is no cure, and its getting worse. Ive personaly seen him take the chemicals we use and such, and hes been taking it alot cause they told him too, and now some of the chemicals he takes doesnt work effectivly anymore, almost as if the diabetes is now growing. But im folding for NCIX.comsepheronX

I will repeat. There is already a solution to cure many types of cancer.

A diabetes cure has already been discovered a long time ago too. Same with AIDS...

The government takes your rights.
The doctors take your money.
The medicine takes your life.
A virus takes blame

Thats what AIDS is all about above

Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 Kurushio
I think we already know that the drug companies have cures for all diseases and virus's but are holding them back since there would be no money in it lmao :P
TheLiberalTruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 TheLiberalTruth
[QUOTE="sepheronX"]but what ive noticed though, is what we have been doing for the past 200 years or so, weve been feeding people chemicals and such to see if it helps them at all. But in the end, either the disease will mutate so it will become more leathal or it will be immune to all the chemicals. I know this for a fact, cause i remeber there were outbreaks of small pox and all in sertain areas of brazill and such not long ago, and we havnt had smallpox in a long time. Also people used ginger back in the early 1900's to help cure the common cold, and it worked, but doesnt work anymore. Disease have been mutating and growing even more dangerous in the past 20-40 years. And even if we find a cure now, another disease will take its place and who knows, that could be the disease that kills off the human race. But its always best to delay the inevitable. So im folding.

With cancer there is no mutation to become immune to the chemicals.  The problem is that the chemo...which is just poison that affects dividing cells and thus cancer more than the rest of the body since it divides rapidly...just isn't all that effective.
The only way ginger would help to cure the common cold is if it somehow bolstered the body's natural immune system, which I doubt, in which case, any percieved good is all in your head.  There is no defense against the common cold.  It is a virus and even our most advanced medicines can only slow the progress of viruses (such as HIV) and even then, those medications don't work with every virus.
Right now, the biggest problem with diseases becoming resistant to medications are bacteria.  The problems are these:
1.) Doctors prescribe them at the drop of a hat
2.) Patients don't take them for the full amount of time prescribed
3.) Farmers 'enhance' their livestock by putting anti-biotics in their feed

These three things expose the bacteria to anti-biotics, and as such, it kills the ones which are not resistant, leaving the ones that are to go on and infect new hosts.

Since cancer is unable to go from one host to another, chemically resistant mutations do not persist and go on to infect others.  If, for some reason, someone had cancer that mutated to become resistant, that person is the only one who is affected.  Comprende?
TheLiberalTruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 TheLiberalTruth

[QUOTE="sepheronX"] acutaly they dont have cures, we just have things that hold em back and help the person live longer than that of who doesnt get this medicine. I know that for a fact cause my grandfather has diabetes and he only has something like 1-2 years left to live, and there is no cure, and its getting worse. Ive personaly seen him take the chemicals we use and such, and hes been taking it alot cause they told him too, and now some of the chemicals he takes doesnt work effectivly anymore, almost as if the diabetes is now growing. But im folding for NCIX.com__MACK__

A diabetes cure has already been discovered a long time ago too. Same with AIDS...

A virus takes blame

This is not true.  I don't have any idea what the point of your conspiracy theory is, but HIV, the cause of AIDS, is a real virus.
__MACK__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 __MACK__
[QUOTE="__MACK__"]

[QUOTE="sepheronX"] acutaly they dont have cures, we just have things that hold em back and help the person live longer than that of who doesnt get this medicine. I know that for a fact cause my grandfather has diabetes and he only has something like 1-2 years left to live, and there is no cure, and its getting worse. Ive personaly seen him take the chemicals we use and such, and hes been taking it alot cause they told him too, and now some of the chemicals he takes doesnt work effectivly anymore, almost as if the diabetes is now growing. But im folding for NCIX.comTheLiberalTruth

A virus takes blame

This is not true.  I don't have any idea what the point of your conspiracy theory is, but HIV, the cause of AIDS, is a real virus.

This is exactly what they want you to think. It might be a conspiracy but its not a theory. This is the truth. I have full evidence.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 deactivated-633b5569a534e
[QUOTE="TheLiberalTruth"] [QUOTE="__MACK__"]

[QUOTE="sepheronX"] acutaly they dont have cures, we just have things that hold em back and help the person live longer than that of who doesnt get this medicine. I know that for a fact cause my grandfather has diabetes and he only has something like 1-2 years left to live, and there is no cure, and its getting worse. Ive personaly seen him take the chemicals we use and such, and hes been taking it alot cause they told him too, and now some of the chemicals he takes doesnt work effectivly anymore, almost as if the diabetes is now growing. But im folding for NCIX.com__MACK__

A virus takes blame

This is exactly what they want you to think. It might be a conspiracy but its not a theory. This is the truth. I have full evidence.

funny how a lot of high up government officials still have diabetes yet he says there is a cure... ok here are some facts: cancer is mutant cells. no two people have the exact same cancer because the mutant cells came from their own dna. there is no virus or bacteria called "cancer" AIDS (a syndrome) is caused by HIV (a virus). there are many strains of HIV. HIV likes to mutate. a cure for AIDS may never come as long as HIV is allowed to mutate. sadly people are horney thus spreading HIV and allowing mutation. the only cure for HIV/AIDS is to label and seperate the infected - unfortunatly thats against 'human rights'.
TheLiberalTruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 TheLiberalTruth
[QUOTE="__MACK__"][QUOTE="TheLiberalTruth"] [QUOTE="__MACK__"]

[QUOTE="sepheronX"] acutaly they dont have cures, we just have things that hold em back and help the person live longer than that of who doesnt get this medicine. I know that for a fact cause my grandfather has diabetes and he only has something like 1-2 years left to live, and there is no cure, and its getting worse. Ive personaly seen him take the chemicals we use and such, and hes been taking it alot cause they told him too, and now some of the chemicals he takes doesnt work effectivly anymore, almost as if the diabetes is now growing. But im folding for NCIX.comValfare237

A virus takes blame

This is not true. I don't have any idea what the point of your conspiracy theory is, but HIV, the cause of AIDS, is a real virus.

This is exactly what they want you to think. It might be a conspiracy but its not a theory. This is the truth. I have full evidence.

funny how a lot of high up government officials still have diabetes yet he says there is a cure... ok here are some facts: cancer is mutant cells. no two people have the exact same cancer because the mutant cells came from their own dna. there is no virus or bacteria called "cancer" AIDS (a syndrome) is caused by HIV (a virus). there are many strains of HIV. HIV likes to mutate. a cure for AIDS may never come as long as HIV is allowed to mutate. sadly people are horney thus spreading HIV and allowing mutation. the only cure for HIV/AIDS is to label and seperate the infected - unfortunatly thats against 'human rights'.

Oy.  Separate the infected? Whew.  How about you take it upon yourself to not sleep around & wear a condom instead?  That, at least, makes sense.
The other guy is simply deluded.
crzycespy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#225 crzycespy
Member since 2005 • 193 Posts
Hmm. So I downloaded the folding client, then ran it fine. As for the user name, I typed one in, but did not see an option for listing team # 32721 . When I ran the client, it listed me as anonymous, and on team 0 (expected, as I didn't enter a team). My questions would be pretty predictable at this point. How do I login with a name, and select the team? Also, is Firedaemon needed to run the folding program correctly, as the lite versions have been removed do to piracy and abuse or something to that effect. Thanks, and I look forward to putting this box to some *good* use. Take care Ces
Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 Kurushio
If your running the folding program you can right click and go to configure where you can put your name and your team number.
crzycespy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 crzycespy
If your running the folding program you can right click and go to configure where you can put your name and your team number.Kurushio
Hmm, can you do that in the prompt window when you first start the program? I can't seem to find that option. Remember, I am running this without Firedaemon. Ces
Krall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 Krall
[QUOTE="Kurushio"]If your running the folding program you can right click and go to configure where you can put your name and your team number.crzycespy
Hmm, can you do that in the prompt window when you first start the program? I can't seem to find that option. Remember, I am running this without Firedaemon. Ces

Is it running in the taskbar after you start it? If it is right click the icon and you should get a settings menu. You don't need to use FD, the point of using that though is to get F@H to auto run as a start up service.
Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 Kurushio
If it is running then you should see something like a red gear right next to your clock (or where your AIM or msn messenger and antivirus and anything else you have is at).
Kenny Burgess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 Kenny Burgess
Member since 2002 • 90 Posts
[QUOTE="crzycespy"] Hmm, can you do that in the prompt window when you first start the program? I can't seem to find that option. Remember, I am running this without Firedaemon. Ces

It sounds to me like you downloaded the "no-nonsence console version", is that correct? That's the one I use because it runs pretty much behind the scenes completely. When you start the program for the first time is when it will prompt you to input a username and team number. If you somehow didn't get that inputed in right, the easiest way to do the setup again is to delete all the files in your folding folder except for the exe file that you initially downloaded (the program will re-download everything else you need) and then run it again.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 deactivated-633b5569a534e
[QUOTE="TheLiberalTruth"]
[QUOTE="__MACK__"][QUOTE="TheLiberalTruth"] [QUOTE="__MACK__"]

[QUOTE="sepheronX"] acutaly they dont have cures, we just have things that hold em back and help the person live longer than that of who doesnt get this medicine. I know that for a fact cause my grandfather has diabetes and he only has something like 1-2 years left to live, and there is no cure, and its getting worse. Ive personaly seen him take the chemicals we use and such, and hes been taking it alot cause they told him too, and now some of the chemicals he takes doesnt work effectivly anymore, almost as if the diabetes is now growing. But im folding for NCIX.comValfare237

A virus takes blame

This is not true. I don't have any idea what the point of your conspiracy theory is, but HIV, the cause of AIDS, is a real virus.

This is exactly what they want you to think. It might be a conspiracy but its not a theory. This is the truth. I have full evidence.

Oy.  Separate the infected? Whew.  How about you take it upon yourself to not sleep around & wear a condom instead?  That, at least, makes sense.

eventually people try to reproduce. HIV can also be transmitted via blood (transfusions, re-used needles, barbaric rituals, etc). Moreover a condom does not guarentee 100% protection (last statistics i have heard were somewhere between 95 and 98%). Also, some people choose to participate in sex with a different part of the body than is used for reproduction - it is common not to use a condom because there is no fear of pregnancy. there cannot be a 'cure' for AIDS as long as it is allowed to mutate - somehow, somewhere it is going to mutate into a form that the current cure cannot destroy and will spread even further through the population. on another note: the console version _is_ definatly better. its a bit faster and more clean and doesnt crash my system (the gui one did)
crzycespy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 crzycespy
Thanks for the help guys. I did download the no-nonsense console version, and the first time I ran it, the darn thing zipped right through the name and team options, so I was unable to type them both in. I thought I had gotten the name in time, but I didn't. It let me hit enter this time instead of doing the *overzealous "Let's fold fold fold"* thing. Here's to protein oragami! Ces

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 deactivated-5fdd601d80bef
I was looking through the high scores and I'm depressed about how many people have had 0 processors active in 50 days. :(
Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 Kurushio
Yeah the vast majority seem to have stopped completely.  Every once in awhile i might not fold for like a week or so but i usually get back on.  Out team has also been sinking since we used to be about 245 and are now 249.
crzycespy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 crzycespy
I had forgotten to turn it on a couple of times, and had it shut off when other people (My crazy lil midget of a daughter =^) but have since set it to run automatically at restart. Kinda simplifies the "Oops, I forgot to run it" bugger. Oh well, it seems easier to remember to shut it off if I really need the neglibable recources it uses than it is to remember (or realize) that the darn thing is off. Hopefully the others are just spacing it out. Oh well, take care all, and as silly as it may sound, if we can help out for minimal effort, that's a good thing. Ces
Krall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 Krall
[QUOTE="Stevobob"]I was looking through the high scores and I'm depressed about how many people have had 0 processors active in 50 days. :(

People have always come and gone on the team unfortunately. We can always attract more by placing a nice little ‘Join the GameSpot Folding Team’ message in your sig ;)
TheLiberalTruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 TheLiberalTruth
[QUOTE="Valfare237"][QUOTE="TheLiberalTruth"] [QUOTE="Valfare237"] funny how a lot of high up government officials still have diabetes yet he says there is a cure... ok here are some facts: cancer is mutant cells. no two people have the exact same cancer because the mutant cells came from their own dna. there is no virus or bacteria called "cancer" AIDS (a syndrome) is caused by HIV (a virus). there are many strains of HIV. HIV likes to mutate. a cure for AIDS may never come as long as HIV is allowed to mutate. sadly people are horney thus spreading HIV and allowing mutation. the only cure for HIV/AIDS is to label and seperate the infected - unfortunatly thats against 'human rights'.

Oy. Separate the infected? Whew. How about you take it upon yourself to not sleep around & wear a condom instead? That, at least, makes sense.

eventually people try to reproduce. HIV can also be transmitted via blood (transfusions, re-used needles, barbaric rituals, etc). Moreover a condom does not guarentee 100% protection (last statistics i have heard were somewhere between 95 and 98%). Also, some people choose to participate in sex with a different part of the body than is used for reproduction - it is common not to use a condom because there is no fear of pregnancy. there cannot be a 'cure' for AIDS as long as it is allowed to mutate - somehow, somewhere it is going to mutate into a form that the current cure cannot destroy and will spread even further through the population. on another note: the console version _is_ definatly better. its a bit faster and more clean and doesnt crash my system (the gui one did)

Oy Vey. It makes me sick to my stomach that you're serious. I have to tell you...you were born 70 years too late and in the wrong country. You would have made a very good storm trooper. Speaking of reproduction...please don't. The fewer nazis we have around the better. We don't need any repeats of the holocaust.
xwengstax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#238 xwengstax
Member since 2004 • 8491 Posts

got another computer to help folding, so im really churning in those WU's

anyways, i noticed a lot of people stopped folding

-Ten-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 -Ten-
Member since 2003 • 7493 Posts
Sounds good
Krall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 Krall
[QUOTE="chickenandduck"]The character recovered and was power leveling world of warcraft picked as a running mate for Democratic presidential contender Matt Santos, played by Jimmy Smits; the campaign has been a central theme this season for the drama www.InternetGameService.com Spencer, who also starred cov guild wars gw on "L.A. Law" as attorney Tommy Mullaney, received an Emmy Award for his performance on "The West Wing" in 2002 and was nominated four other times for the drama.

lol?
crzycespy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242 crzycespy
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
Konfusion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 Konfusion
Member since 2003 • 5049 Posts
Count me in. :) Too bad only the CPU is usefull... I feel I could have done more. :P
Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 Kurushio
You have dual core, you cheater lol.  Just wait till i get quad core one day hehe.
Krall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 Krall
You have dual core, you cheater lol. Just wait till i get quad core one day hehe.Kurushio
Just build 2 dual-core computers or get an Opteron setup :D
Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246 Kurushio
Sure that's no problem if i had the money to do that lol.  I do plan on building really soon but only a 3500.
xboxpimp18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#247 xboxpimp18
Member since 2004 • 7830 Posts
Is this still active. I'm a member of the team, i'm hellraiser18, look me up. ;)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248 deactivated-5fdd601d80bef
Good to see some activity in this thread. I only have 18 WUs completed but I'm ranked 61 :D

Long time no see Krall, I'll go chuck a Folding Team link in my sig right now.
Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249 Kurushio
Im just about to complete my 100th wu and im very close to breaking the top 30.  We need more people though since many other have either stopped for the gamestop team or all together.  We've slipped atleast 6 spots and i doubt that a quater of the people are still active.
doomed51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250 doomed51
Member since 2004 • 6966 Posts
count me in!