Join The Gamespot Folding Team!!!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

man_hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#801 man_hammer
Member since 2002 • 450 Posts

Added. I would think the name listed for me would be the name I use on PSN which is Von_Loch, as I never chose any when I added myself to the team. I probably rock the bottom of what users in team GS has contributed :P

Edit: Atm a whopping 309 points. horgen123

Hey Great! I see your contribution under Von_Loch.

I like to use this site to track points, team status, etc...

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?s=&t=32721

At the bottom of the page you can check who's contributing and how many points. It doesn't update as often as other sites, every 3 hours, but it's got a lot of great information. This link is the team page, but you can click on your username to see your personal stats.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#802 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127525 Posts
Awesome! It will take me a bit of time to get high up on the list... I see that to enter the top 500 I need 10 times the amount I already got :P
aruntisa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#803 aruntisa
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
I've dropped to 4th
Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#804 Kurushio
Member since 2004 • 10485 Posts
I just installed a 660 Ti and now my normal F@H client doesnt see the GPU. I downloaded the gpu client and it is running but it isnt the same and i dont like having to use 2 separate clients to do it. Is there any way to add the my new GPU to the normal client?
man_hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#805 man_hammer
That's wierd. Are you using the V7 client? F@H and NVidia usually play nice together.
Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#807 Kurushio
[QUOTE="man_hammer"]That's wierd. Are you using the V7 client? F@H and NVidia usually play nice together.

7.1.52. I even uninstalled and reinstalled the client and it hasnt detected the gpu. I tried following a guide and it did allow me to put the gpu on the slots but then once i deleted the work file (since it wouldnt update or do anything before) it deleted the gpu as well.
man_hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#809 man_hammer
[QUOTE="man_hammer"]That's wierd. Are you using the V7 client? F@H and NVidia usually play nice together.Kurushio
7.1.52. I even uninstalled and reinstalled the client and it hasnt detected the gpu. I tried following a guide and it did allow me to put the gpu on the slots but then once i deleted the work file (since it wouldnt update or do anything before) it deleted the gpu as well.

Man, that's a bummer. I wonder how the other 600 series GTX cards have been performing in Folding @ Home? Since I obviously don't have the answer to your problem, I think I'll start throwing out wild speculation. Do you think it would help to downgrade to older drivers? I know the card is really new, but maybe older drivers would make it compatible with the v7 client. On another note, I'm jealous of your video card.
Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#810 Kurushio
I would rather not roll the drivers back and it's probably more likely that the card is just so new that the F@H developers havent really updated the client for it. In any case i still have my i7 920 cpu that does a pretty good job by itself and hopefully soon i can see how my new card compares to my old 8800gt.
Nirgali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#811 Nirgali
Member since 2012 • 95 Posts
I created a new user "Nirgali" and added my new rig to the gamespot team. I've not done any overclocking on it yet. Looks like my current GPU cycle is 8 hours and is 16 hours. System: Chasis: Shuttle SX79R5 | Intel X79 Express chipset Memory: Super Talent Extreme Performance DDR3-1866 1.5V 16G Processor: Intel Core i7-3930K Unlocked / 3.20 GHz / 12MB Cache / LGA2011 / 130W Video Card: XFX AMD RADEON 7970 Double Dissipation Edition 925M 3GB D5 2XmDP HDMI DVI
man_hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#812 man_hammer

I created a new user "Nirgali" and added my new rig to the gamespot team. I've not done any overclocking on it yet. Looks like my current GPU cycle is 8 hours and is 16 hours.Nirgali

Good stuff.

I saw you join the team. You've got a nice solid PPD (Points Per Day) going there.

Even though our team has been putting up solid monthly numbers we've fallen 5 slots. We usually hover around 450, but we fell to 455 last month. If we can keep up our contributions, then it looks like we can break the 450 barrier in about 1.7 weeks.

It's tough to do anything put keep position. Every month a few super teams, usually made up on ONE primary contributer, will blast past us putting up over 100,000 PPD.

At any rate, I'm still proud of our contributions. Going by monthly totals:

In January we put up: 270,577

In September we put up: 873,393

That's FN teamwork right there.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#813 horgen  Moderator
Aren't we #452 as of now? Anyway how do I check my PPD? Name is Von Loch or Von_Loch. Don't remember which one I used again :P Edit: Think I found it.
man_hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#814 man_hammer
Yes, we climbed up from 455 to 452. In a few days we should be 451.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#815 horgen  Moderator
I'll leave my PS3 on to do this. So I am at least contributing something.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#816 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=507341

That was my profile with Overclock.net. Once I get my hardware moved over, I'll be folding for Gamespot. Again.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#817 horgen  Moderator

[QUOTE="Nirgali"]I created a new user "Nirgali" and added my new rig to the gamespot team. I've not done any overclocking on it yet. Looks like my current GPU cycle is 8 hours and is 16 hours.man_hammer

Good stuff.

I saw you join the team. You've got a nice solid PPD (Points Per Day) going there.

Even though our team has been putting up solid monthly numbers we've fallen 5 slots. We usually hover around 450, but we fell to 455 last month. If we can keep up our contributions, then it looks like we can break the 450 barrier in about 1.7 weeks.

It's tough to do anything put keep position. Every month a few super teams, usually made up on ONE primary contributer, will blast past us putting up over 100,000 PPD.

At any rate, I'm still proud of our contributions. Going by monthly totals:

In January we put up: 270,577

In September we put up: 873,393

That's FN teamwork right there.

He will catch up with me in the matter of days I see. :o
man_hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#818 man_hammer

He will catch up with me in the matter of days I see.horgen123

Given the PC in his sig it looks like he could absolutely blow everyone currently folding for the team out of the water.

When I started folding for Gamespot in 2009 I used my PS3. I didn't contribute very often because I was using my PS3 a lot to play games and watch Netflix. Most of our team had already stopped folding.

The two mainstays since I started paying attention have always been shakes and CALkulon. I really gotta give it up for those two. They've been pretty consistent for years. I've only started to take folding seriously for about 6 months.

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=507341

That was my profile with Overclock.net. Once I get my hardware moved over, I'll be folding for Gamespot. Again.clyde46

That would be amazing! In February you put up over 2 million points.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#819 clyde46
Most of my points came from GPU folding. I was into folding hardcore a few years back. The 2 million points in a month was from the Hp cloud computing beta a lot of the folding community jumped on at Overclockers.net. I'll be bring my 2600k which brings in about 25-30,000 ppd stock depending on the WU. I never folded using the CPU so I may have to build another rig if it gets in the way of my gaming. I already have the case, psu, ram and small GPU. All I need is a mobo and another 2600k.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#820 horgen  Moderator

Given the PC in his sig it looks like he could absolutely blow everyone currently folding for the team out of the water.

When I started folding for Gamespot in 2009 I used my PS3. I didn't contribute very often because I was using my PS3 a lot to play games and watch Netflix. Most of our team had already stopped folding.

The two mainstays since I started paying attention have always been shakes and CALkulon. I really gotta give it up for those two. They've been pretty consistent for years. I've only started to take folding seriously for about 6 months.

man_hammer
Oh a i7 3930K... Yeah no wonder. I do wonder how many points the PS3 can do per day.
man_hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#821 man_hammer

I was folding with my PS3 at night until last month. It's just been too hot lately.

The work units (WU) took about 6 hours and were worth about 250 points. So if you leave it running continuously you should be averaging about 1K PPD.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#822 horgen  Moderator
Ah okay. Looking at the results from the folding I did yesterday, that seems pretty much correct. 500 points yesterday and I think it only finished two WU.
Nirgali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#823 Nirgali

A question I have. Hammer one is for. Sorry, someone's sig put me in yoda mode. How do you generate your signature image?

As for my catching up, I'm not sure if I will be able to as that computer is in my bedroom right now and I don't run it when I'm sleeping and playing video games. Every once in a while there is a mild stutter in FPS with game graphics on high while fah is running. Also, if I forget to open the window when I leave for work in the morning, I'll come home to a very toasty bedroom. When I move, I'll have a better setup where I can run it at night without it keeping me awake.

Nirgali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#824 Nirgali

Nevermind. I figured it out ^_^

man_hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#825 man_hammer

As for my catching up, I'm not sure if I will be able to as that computer is in my bedroom right now and I don't run it when I'm sleeping and playing video games. Every once in a while there is a mild stutter in FPS with game graphics on high while fah is running. Also, if I forget to open the window when I leave for work in the morning, I'll come home to a very toasty bedroom. When I move, I'll have a better setup where I can run it at night without it keeping me awake.

Nirgali

There's no pressure to catch up. What I really meant to say is that I'm jealous of your computer.

I know exactly what you mean about the heat. Also, I've been playing a lot of Torchlight 2 so I havent'y been battling Alzheimer's as much as I could be.

I know you already figured it out,but I'll put up a link to the sig image page for anyone else who wants to do it:

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/?nav=IMAGES

...and heck, here are the instructions:

First - You can use the UserID from the EOC Stats (preferred):
- http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/sigs/sigimage.php?u=623304

Second - You can use your User Name + Team ID:
- http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/sigs/sigimage.php?un=man_hammer&t=32721

Nirgali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#826 Nirgali

I am curious to know how my stats will look after just adding an olderAMD Phenom(tm) 9950 Quad-Core Processor 2.60 GHz and an even olderAMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#827 horgen  Moderator

A question I have. Hammer one is for. Sorry, someone's sig put me in yoda mode. How do you generate your signature image?

Nirgali
You have already passed me. However thanks for the push in getting me going with this again. Finally got myself over the 20K mark.
man_hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#828 man_hammer
Alright, we're at team rank 450 again. In a couple of days we'll break the 450 barrier. In my experience we usually don't hold above 450 for long. We'll see what happens. Somebody isn't folding with just a PS3 anymore. Good job horgen123. Nirgali, puttin' up some solid numbers there. Over 11K a few days ago.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#829 horgen  Moderator
I wanna pass the 50K mark. Will put me in the top 100 for our team :D
Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#830 Kurushio
Once they fix/allow folding from Keplar GPU (GeForce 600 series) then i'll be able to really put some points on. My i7 does a pretty good job but i dont fold 24/7 and when it gives me the super large projects it really hurts me points wise because of it.
man_hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#831 man_hammer

Once they fix/allow folding from Keplar GPU (GeForce 600 series) then i'll be able to really put some points on. My i7 does a pretty good job but i dont fold 24/7 and when it gives me the super large projects it really hurts me points wise because of it.Kurushio

Yeah, the tragedy is they don't seem to update the client very often. If memory serves, the client isn't capable of checking for incremental updates. When they do update the client it will be up to us to check the folding website to download it. Again, I'm going off of memory, but I think they said they're working on a client that can check for updates. Who knows how long that will take. I assume they've got their plates pretty full over their at the Stanford Bio-physics & Bio-tech department.

I hear you on the not folding 24/7. The PC I have folding is my only PC. Sure I can fold and surf the internet, but folding while gaming is not an option.

Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#832 Kurushio
I know that they are beta testing the Keplar and i think they have added it to the gpu.txt but i dont know whether or not it will allow it to fold yet. I'll probably try tomorrow but im betting my GPU will remain idle. It's a shame really because i was hoping to see the difference in folding from an 8800gt to a 660 Ti. Not to mention i wanted to see the temp difference as my 88Gt was always like 70C+ when folding.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#833 horgen  Moderator
Ah, so that's why my 680 isn't folding. I was wondering about that. Anyway my comp finished a WU that it started on yesterday. It was over 9000 points for it. So going from 30K to 40K was done in matter of days, and my daily average as the calculate it has almost doubled up to 3K. Sadly it will fall :(
Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#834 Kurushio
I wish the program could determine the average time that it folds and not go above that. I know it's asking quite a bit but i generally only have my PC on at most 12-14hrs a day and if i game on it then it wont be folding. So when i get a huge one that takes 2 days to fold it takes me nearly a week and by then hardly worth any points. The 2hr ones are about the sweet spot for time vs points at least on my computer.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#835 horgen  Moderator
It's pretty much the same for me. And I have gotten another long one. Done 9% and it says close to 14 hours left. Pretty much the same as my last WU.
man_hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#836 man_hammer

Yeah, I fold overnight. I'll usually let the client run for 8-12 hours in a day. However, if I play a PC game until midnight, then it can cut off a good 2-3 hours from my fodling time.

When I'm working towards a specific goal (my ranking, team ranking, or just a point goal) sometimes I'll let my PC run for much longer.

One thing I've noticed is that GPU points don't seem to degrade with time. If it says 2510 credit, then that's what you'll get. The CPU points will go down the longer you take.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#837 horgen  Moderator
Estimated credit or base credit? My current WU says base credit: 1722.50 while estimated credit is 10352.54.
man_hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#838 man_hammer

Estimated credit or base credit? My current WU says base credit: 1722.50 while estimated credit is 10352.54. horgen123
I guess I'm referring to the estimated credit. There is a formula applied to the base credit that involves time for the CPU. This doesn't seem to apply to the GPU.

If I let a CPU work unit run from start to finish without interuption, then I tend to get the initial estimated credit.

However, if I stop folding for the day in the middle of a WU and start it up the next day there's a time penalty. For the GPU, in my experience, there doesn't seem to be a time penalty.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#839 clyde46
[QUOTE="horgen123"]Ah, so that's why my 680 isn't folding. I was wondering about that. Anyway my comp finished a WU that it started on yesterday. It was over 9000 points for it. So going from 30K to 40K was done in matter of days, and my daily average as the calculate it has almost doubled up to 3K. Sadly it will fall :(

Do you have a passkey?
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#840 clyde46

[QUOTE="horgen123"]Estimated credit or base credit? My current WU says base credit: 1722.50 while estimated credit is 10352.54. man_hammer

I guess I'm referring to the estimated credit. There is a formula applied to the base credit that involves time for the CPU. This doesn't seem to apply to the GPU.

If I let a CPU work unit run from start to finish without interuption, then I tend to get the initial estimated credit.

However, if I stop folding for the day in the middle of a WU and start it up the next day there's a time penalty. For the GPU, in my experience, there doesn't seem to be a time penalty.

GPU dont get bonus's, thats why the points are static. SMP units will get bonus's depending on how fast you complete them. Bigadv units can get 200K if you can finish them but they changed the rules for them. You could run them on a i7 if you were OC'd to 4Ghz or more but now you need 12 cores minimum to get them.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#841 horgen  Moderator
[QUOTE="clyde46"] Do you have a passkey?

No, should I?

man_hammer
I see that. Because I had to turn of the computer for the night, and now the estimated credit is only about 9300 points.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#842 horgen  Moderator
[QUOTE="man_hammer"]

[QUOTE="horgen123"]Estimated credit or base credit? My current WU says base credit: 1722.50 while estimated credit is 10352.54. clyde46

GPU dont get bonus's, thats why the points are static. SMP units will get bonus's depending on how fast you complete them. Bigadv units can get 200K if you can finish them but they changed the rules for them. You could run them on a i7 if you were OC'd to 4Ghz or more but now you need 12 cores minimum to get them.

Damn, 200K per unit, that is a lot. Then again I expect a 12 cores or more to be able to do a lot of work. Edit: Looked up the "bigadv" units. 16 cores minimum.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#843 clyde46
[QUOTE="horgen123"][QUOTE="clyde46"] Do you have a passkey?

No, should I?

man_hammer
I see that. Because I had to turn of the computer for the night, and now the estimated credit is only about 9300 points.

If you want bonus's then yes you should.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#844 horgen  Moderator
Okay... Exactly how will it help me? Oh and we are at #447 now. Might have something to do with me leaving the comp on for the night and most of today for folding :P Suddenly had 20K more points :D
man_hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#845 man_hammer
Hmmm...I'm going to have to look into this pass key thing. I'll come back with more info and instructions if I find anything. You're right horgen123, we crossed the 450 barrier and we're at team rank 447. Good job on the points everyone! Everyone really hit the afterburners this week. Our soonest team threat is over a month away. It looks like we can climb several spots before the next team passes us up. Of course, we won't see super teams coming. Teams that put up 100,0000-300,000 PPD will wiz right by us before we even know what hit us. I'd love to hit AND keep team rank 440. That Can be our new rank to hold on to.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#846 horgen  Moderator
If it is possible while I use mainly the ps3 for folding, then yes we could certainly try to hold that position. I've been able to use the computer to fold a lot lately because I haven't been home much.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#847 horgen  Moderator
And congrats to Shakes for passing 4million points now!
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#848 clyde46
[QUOTE="horgen123"]Okay... Exactly how will it help me? Oh and we are at #447 now. Might have something to do with me leaving the comp on for the night and most of today for folding :P Suddenly had 20K more points :D

If your running SMP on a 2600k at 4.5 you'll get way more points than you do now. It all depends on the work unit. Some give loads of points while others just plain suck.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#849 horgen  Moderator
Well I only got one computer, so when I am not playing games on it, or sleeping (it's in my bedroom), I do some folding. With a 3570K at 4.4
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#850 clyde46
Well I only got one computer, so when I am not playing games on it, or sleeping (it's in my bedroom), I do some folding. With a 3570K at 4.4 horgen123
What GPU do you have? CPU folding is better done if you have your PC at least 20 hours of the day. GPU folding is better if you are only folding for 8 hours of the day.