John Carmack Q&A

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 CaptainAhab13
Member since 2010 • 5121 Posts

Well after watching the Q&A, I'm depressed as ever.

He stated that Quake is "limping along," and that it's basically dying/dead, and id doesn't really have any plans to revitalize it in any way, shape, or form after RAGE is released. Their next major project will be Doom 4, along with a potential sequel to RAGE.

This saddens me as a gamer -- Quake Live has been one of my all-time favorite games on any platform, ever. Quake 3 is still an absolute joy, but they're both dying off/dead.

Nexuiz, my alternative, is dwindling as well, and the developer that made it open source to begin with sold himself out to some company who is porting it to PSN, XBL, and Steam, and will be charging for it. The community project, Xonotic, is so tiny I'm not sure if it will go anywhere. Regardless, it has a stable 0.1 release, so here's hoping.

Alien Arena looks decent, but I've never played it.

I guess I'm just venting because one of the last great gasps for my favorite genre (the fast-paced arena FPS) is about to go under water, no good open source games are on the horizon, and I know absolutely nothing about programming to attempt to build one of my own.

/rant :(

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#2 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Arena shooters are dead. They just arn't popular. Simple as that.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

#3 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

They have to answer to as many markets as possible. The fact that they're making a game like Rage is evidence of them taking the company in a new direction to appeal to an evolving audience.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Wasdie

They should make Doom 4's MP like Quake. Doom 3 had a fun MP but never seemed to be a lot of players.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

I can't wait until faux realistic boom headshot military shooters stop being popular, with the exception of counterstrike, CoD stopped being fun after remake number 2a.

Avatar image for IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#6 IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
Member since 2006 • 1508 Posts
Quake was great, about a decade ago. Now? ehh...
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
Duh quake live was a commercial buisness failure.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JigglyWiggly_

Quake was great, about a decade ago. Now? ehh...IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
It's just as good, I play quake live all the time. RA3 is better, but uh, nobody plays that anymore.

Oh and people who suck at arena shooters suck at all shooters, it's fact. Considering almost nobody posted in the quakelive thread I made, I take it most people here suck at fps lol.

Drosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Drosa
Member since 2004 • 3136 Posts

Wasdie

It is sad that people think like this. Arena shooters offer the purest shooter experience of them all. No insipid story line, no poorly placed save points, no save points at all, a life span based more on player enjoyment then developer planning, and , if the number of maps for Unreal Tournament are any indication, a lot easier to mod. Straight up kill everything that moves. 20 - 30 minutes later you've got your shooter fix for the day.

Actually, maybe its just me, but most of the multiplayer sides of these shooters are arena based, are they not? Maybe they are not so dead after all.

Raxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Raxzor
Member since 2003 • 5399 Posts

Wasdie
This. The thought of running around the same circular map, mindlessly shooting another player to death doesn't appeal to me any more. And Carmack knows this to.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JigglyWiggly_

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Raxzor

This. The thought of running around the same circular map, mindlessly shooting another player to death doesn't appeal to me any more. And Carmack knows this to.

Does to me. But I have fps blood in me.

Also play CA/Duel/CTF, not TDM/DM which I do not like.

CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 CaptainAhab13
Member since 2010 • 5121 Posts
Arena shooters still appeal to some of us, including me. In fact, arena shooters are the only actual games I play anymore. Quake Live, Unreal Tournament 2k4, and Open Arena.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JigglyWiggly_
[QUOTE="CaptainAhab13"]Arena shooters still appeal to some of us, including me. In fact, arena shooters are the only actual games I play anymore. Quake Live, Unreal Tournament 2k4, and Open Arena.

Whats yer QL profile? Also if too lazy to fetch a link, what tier are you?
Geosisnl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Geosisnl
Member since 2009 • 143 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Raxzor

So I guess you don't play any MP DM-like games? For as far as I know, all the shooters I play online are the same ordeal.

Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 Zubinen
Member since 2011 • 2555 Posts

[QUOTE="Raxzor"][QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Geosisnl

So I guess you don't play any MP DM-like games? For as far as I know, all the shooters I play online are the same ordeal.

He's talking about games that are overly simplistic where it's just point and shoot with weak level design(which is the case for almost all old school shooters). In modern FPS you can take cover behind objects as well as crouch and prone, and your success depends just as much on out smarting your enemies as it does on your gun skill, a good balance so the best players need both intelligence and fast reaction times whereas in old school shooters, you only need fast reaction times. In games like CoD you have to pick the loadouts best suited for a particular map, and you can customize your loadout to suit your playstyle and having an idea of where to throw a grenade when red dots appear on your radar in a specific formation can be the difference between pulling a clutch by getting a 2 in 1 grenade kill in non-respawn modes, and losing a match. Or like in BFBC2 where you can choose to engage in direct combat with 5 guys camping in a building, or you can plant C4 on the 4 corners of the building walls and bring the building crashing down to teach those wookies a lesson :twisted:

Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Falconoffury
Member since 2003 • 1722 Posts

He's talking about games that are overly simplistic where it's just point and shoot with weak level design(which is the case for almost all old school shooters).Zubinen

Contemporary shooters have the weak level design. You are practically on rails with many of them in singleplayer. As an example of multiplayer maps, I hear that Modern Warfare 3 is getting even simpler multiplayer maps than past games in the series.

In modern FPS you can take cover behind objects as well as crouch and prone, and your success depends just as much on out smarting your enemies as it does on your gun skill, a good balance so the best players need both intelligence and fast reaction times whereas in old school shooters, you only need fast reaction times.Zubinen

What? You need to be smart in arena shooters too. You need to remember where all the powerups are, and their approximate respawn time. You need to be able to quickly switch to the right weapon for the situation. It really sounds like you don't know much about the genre at all.

BLaZe462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BLaZe462
Member since 2002 • 1432 Posts

**** dont know about mah arena shootas