Jedi Fallen Order hype

Avatar image for urbangamez
#1 Posted by urbangamez (3470 posts) -

the new ea game. its a sp campaign which i hope will be very good. here is the trailer

Avatar image for BassMan
#2 Edited by BassMan (10024 posts) -

Some gameplay would be nice. If I wanted to watch a movie trailer, I would watch the episode 9 trailer.

Avatar image for comma
#3 Edited by Comma (25 posts) -

As a Star Wars fan I'm excited. I really hope it's dark and gritty. However, I'm always skeptical that EA might impose some terrible ideas and ruin it. Hopefully they stay out of it and leave it to Respawn Entertainment.

Avatar image for R4gn4r0k
#4 Posted by R4gn4r0k (30690 posts) -

I'm down for a good Star Wars game, and this one looks like it's going in the right direction:

  • Lots of talent behind the game (Stig Asmussen, Vince Zampella, Chris Avellone)
  • No lootboxes or microtransactions
  • No tacked on multiplayer
Avatar image for attirex
#5 Edited by attirex (1563 posts) -

melee, platforming, and puzzle solving ftl. Sounds like Mario Star Wars. There's nothing I hate more in games than platforming. Pass.

(waits another 20 years for a good SW game)

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
#6 Posted by uninspiredcup (32731 posts) -

This is a wait and see.

Ignoring visuals and production values, which is really the only thing shown, the PC has a mountain of superb starwars games. So I don't really feel compelled to jump at it like a 5 year old kid just cause it has "starwars" in the title.

Avatar image for attirex
#7 Edited by attirex (1563 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

This is a wait and see.

Ignoring visuals and production values, which is really the only thing shown, the PC has a mountain of superb starwars games.

Wait wat lol. A mountain? I must be living in a different reality than you. Only decent SW game on the PC in the past 20 years has been KoTR (and maybe a couple of the real early titles like X-Wing and Rebel Squadron). For such a game-ready IP that's been around for 40 years, there has been a shocking lack of quality titles (Battlefield...no. The MMOs....no). Mountain of quality, it ain't. Mountain of fail, maybe.

Avatar image for vagrantsnow
#8 Posted by VagrantSnow (267 posts) -

Hard to get hyped when all they've shown is a cartoon.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
#9 Edited by uninspiredcup (32731 posts) -

@attirex said:
@uninspiredcup said:

This is a wait and see.

Ignoring visuals and production values, which is really the only thing shown, the PC has a mountain of superb starwars games.

Wait wat lol. A mountain? I must be living in a different reality than you. Only decent SW game on the PC in the past 20 years has been KoTR (and maybe a couple of the real early titles like X-Wing and Rebel Squadron). For such a game-ready IP that's been around for 40 years, there has been a shocking lack of quality titles (Battlefield...no. The MMOs....no). Mountain of quality, it ain't. Mountain of fail, maybe.

Objectively good star war games -

Dark Forces

Dark Forces II

Jedi Knight II

Mysteries Of The Sith

Jedi Acadamy

KOTOR

KOTOR II

Starwars Podracer

Star Wars: Empire At War

X-Wing

X-Wring Allaince

Xwing - Tie Fighter

Lego Starwars

Republican Commando

Battlefront II (not that one)

Galactic Battlegrounds

Shadow Of The Empire

Rogue Squadron

Starfighter

----

From the top of my head. Not really sure what was with the sarcy post, unless you misread the entire part about graphics and production values, which from the 20 years comment, seems to be the case.

Avatar image for speedytimsi
#10 Posted by speedytimsi (925 posts) -

...and I thought EA don't believe in single-player experiences anymore.

Avatar image for attirex
#11 Posted by attirex (1563 posts) -

@uninspiredcup:

It's a list of mostly ancient titles that aren't relevant any more, quite a few bad efforts (Jedi Academy and Podracer), and a few admittedly not-so-bad ones. But mostly, a list of SW games is a story of misfires and missed opportunities. Just makes me sad.

Avatar image for Zuon
#12 Edited by Zuon (305 posts) -

So, I'm not the type of person that refuses to buy from anyone, no matter what their business practices are. As long as this game looks like it lives up to the enjoyment In have playing Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast. Just because you purchase a good game by a corrupt publisher, doesn't mean you support that publisher's questionable ethics. If someone makes something I like, I'm willing to buy it. Simple as that.

I unfortunately did not like The Force Unleashed (either version). Hopefully this one will be more enjoyable to me than that one.

Avatar image for PredatorRules
#13 Posted by PredatorRules (12408 posts) -

Last sp games were nice the most I can say about them, there wasn't any good action based Star Wars game since Jedi Outcast 2 and Academy which was long time ago

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
#14 Edited by uninspiredcup (32731 posts) -

@attirex said:

@uninspiredcup:

It's a list of mostly ancient titles that aren't relevant any more, quite a few bad efforts (Jedi Academy and Podracer), and a few admittedly not-so-bad ones. But mostly, a list of SW games is a story of misfires and missed opportunities. Just makes me sad.

The majority of these titles are widely considered great. And unless you're a graphics whore, there modern day relevance, is itself irrelevant.

Good games are good. The end.

Avatar image for mrbojangles25
#15 Edited by mrbojangles25 (43748 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:
@attirex said:

@uninspiredcup:

It's a list of mostly ancient titles that aren't relevant any more, quite a few bad efforts (Jedi Academy and Podracer), and a few admittedly not-so-bad ones. But mostly, a list of SW games is a story of misfires and missed opportunities. Just makes me sad.

The majority of these titles are widely considered great. And unless you're a graphics whore, there modern day relevance, is itself irrelevant.

Good games are good. The end.

Honestly the bulk of Star Wars games have been pretty fun, at least imo. Even the not-so-great ones still had their moments.

The only time they want wrong was when they went full-blown AAA with Force Unleashed 1/2, and when EA went greedy with the Battlefront reboots.

I've been playing SW games since Tie Fighter and the original Dark Forces, and the above mentioned games are the only ones I really dislike.

*Hell there was a thread on here about RTS games, which caused me to load up Empire At War. That game is damn fun. No one ever mentions it when talking about great SW games, though.

Avatar image for kriggy
#16 Posted by kriggy (1172 posts) -

This game reminds me of Star Wars 1313, a game which would have had a major impact if it at least released at a remotely similar date to what it was planned for...

This game won’t have the same impact, too many reused concepts that won’t raise the attention of people who aren’t Star Wars fans.

Avatar image for xantufrog
#17 Posted by xantufrog (11155 posts) -

@attirex: lol, I just looked at your posting history. If you hate gaming so much, why not do something else? Life's too short. Cup's list is great, and especially on PC it doesn't matter one whit if the game came out yesterday or 20 years ago. You can play it either way if it's good.

Avatar image for attirex
#18 Posted by attirex (1563 posts) -

I'm less than a year from being 50 years old, have a wife, house, yard, mortgage, career, two kids, am at the age when people around me I know are starting to die, and have been playing video games since Pong through coin-op arcades in the Eighties to Atari era and on through the rise of PCs and current age of consoles....so I'm old, jaded, and like to yell at kids to get off my lawn (generally speaking).

But more specifically, I think it's bc SW games are a sore spot for me. I mean, you have a movie with LITERALLY every conceivable cool video game element imaginable (lasers, explosions, big space ships, small space ships, more explosions, laser tanks, laser swords, battle stations the size of a moon that can blow up entire planets, aliens, good guys and bad guys, mysterious powers that can zap and levitate, alien planets, and on and on and on) just hanging there like low-hanging fruit on a tree, and I'm *still* waiting for someone to reliably harness all of these elements into a killer, epic, sprawling, single-player SW game that spans a range of locales (space, planets, large capital shipts, etc). I think KOTOR and the MMOs got damned close, but with an IP that has a *forty plus year+ history* that happens to coincide with the rise and explosion of video game industry and tech, that's not a great track record. It just makes me sad.

Maybe Fallen Order will change some of that, but I don't have much confidence it will.