iv decide to go with CRT is this bad (some questions)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sabbath2gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 sabbath2gamer
Member since 2007 • 2515 Posts

well i decide to go with CRT becuase i read a book in BCIS class on monitors and there were alot of disadvantegs to Flat panel (LCD) and alot of advantegse to CRT. Am i choosing the right decision?

Also can someone recommend a good CRT with maybe a 1680 X 1050 or better

sabbath2gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 sabbath2gamer
is that resolution to high im sry im not good when it comes to monitors or knowing what look for in them
Avatar image for Indestructible2
Indestructible2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Indestructible2
Member since 2007 • 5935 Posts
LCD's are better than CRT is most cases (At least in recent years) that book must be several years old,and there are no 1680x1050 CRT's.
jed-at-war

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jed-at-war
Member since 2005 • 1335 Posts

well i decide to go with CRT becuase i read a book in BCIS class on monitors and there were alot of disadvantegs to Flat panel (LCD) and alot of advantegse to CRT. Am i choosing the right decision?

Also can someone recommend a good CRT with maybe a 1680 X 1050 or better

sabbath2gamer

What were some of the disadvantages? How old was the book, it could be outdated.

JD138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 JD138
Member since 2002 • 256 Posts
There USED to be very obvious disadvantages to LCD's, but this is not the case anymore. Almost ALL the areas LCD's used to be lacking in are pretty much gone. I'd suggest going to a store and looking at the LCD's they have and see for yourself.
ChiChiMonKilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ChiChiMonKilla
Member since 2007 • 2339 Posts
Crt's are the best I still use my old crt and it's great has better color accuracy,no native rez and no backlight foolishness. I will admit lcds have come along way but they are still not equal and will most likely never be.
CassiusGaius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 CassiusGaius
Member since 2006 • 865 Posts

CRTs are better, but seriously just get a LCD monitor. You won't be able to find a good widescreen CRT monitor.

I really don't know why people are constantly saying LCD is better. I had a Phillips HD WS CRT 30" that crapped out recently and replaced it with a 37" Samsung LCD, let me tell you the Phillips at about 1/3 of the price of the Samsung had a much better picture quality. LCD is where its at because its convenient. Lighter and better looking > Quality picture.

I also have a 22" WS Acer monitor, while very nice, my old 17" CRT monitor is far more vibrant and crisp.

Avatar image for deactivated-638d165ba095d
deactivated-638d165ba095d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-638d165ba095d
Member since 2002 • 753 Posts
CRTs are so old. I perfer my LCDs any day for gaming.
roncoco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 roncoco
Member since 2005 • 143 Posts
Well, CRTs are better for many people, the native resolution problem of LCDs is a hassle, the color fidelity of CRTs are more accurate. The only real downside are the size (and no widescreen support that i know of...).
Darkfire6247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Darkfire6247
Member since 2007 • 1308 Posts
CRTS are analog...with no HDCP.
LCDS are digital...and you can get some that are practically on par with CRT picture quality.

Personally i'd try out some LCD's, the thin size, and widescreen look is very nice looking.
jed-at-war

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jed-at-war

LCDS are digital...and you can get some that are practically on par with CRT picture quality.

Personally i'd try out some LCD's, the thin size, and widescreen look is very nice looking.
Darkfire6247

Those cost a bit though,

My grandpa bought a 15" 720p HD TV with VGA in, and it beats his monitor big time in color, sharpness, brightness, and contrast. It cost $200 though which is a pretty high cost. If you go into a store and look, the LCDs look better for the most part, except for the junky ones that ghost.

george_hopkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 george_hopkins
Member since 2005 • 1397 Posts
I have a CRT and to be honest, while it is better than an LCD in contrast, response time, colour accuracy etc. I would still gladly swap it for a LCD just because of the size of the thing. If you have a massive desk and you want to save money, then get a CRT. If you're gonna spend a lot on a CRT, don't bother, LCD's are the way to go now. The only advantage (that matters to normal computer users) is that they're much much cheaper than LCD's now. Back in mid 2006 i bought my massive 21" dell sony CRT for £26 off ebay.
ProudLarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 ProudLarry
Member since 2004 • 13511 Posts

CRTs have two main advantages over LCDs:

1. Price

2. Resolution Flexibility

LCDs are still notibly more expensive than similarly sized CRTs. LCDs also limit you to a native resolution, that if you don't use, will cause a noticable decline in image quality. CRTs can use pretty much any resolution under the sun with no image quality problems. However the big advantage that LCDs have over CRTs is thier size and weight. A 21" LCD takes up alot less space on a desk and is much easier to move around than a 21" CRT. Image quality is pretty much the same between the two these days. You also don't have to worry about an LCDs refresh rate, unlike a CRT's which can cause image tearing if you don't use V-sync in you games.

jed-at-war

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jed-at-war

1. Price

LCDs are still notibly more expensive than similarly sized CRTs. LCDs also limit you to a native resolution, that if you don't use, will cause a noticable decline in image quality. CRTs can use pretty much any resolution under the sun with no image quality problems. However the big advantage that LCDs have over CRTs is thier size and weight. A 21" LCD takes up alot less space on a desk and is much easier to move around than a 21" CRT. Image quality is pretty much the same between the two these days. You also don't have to worry about an LCDs refresh rate, unlike a CRT's which can cause image tearing if you don't use V-sync in you games.

ProudLarry

Does that noticable drop in image quality when using a resolution other than the native affect the desktop and graphic applications or mainly just stuff like games?

sabbath2gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 sabbath2gamer

some of you guys have said to get a widescreen i prefer that it isnt widescreen its like seeing the image streched ewww...

well can some of you guys recommend a good full screen CT

and good fullscreen LCD

cbolaes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 cbolaes
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

There are still some bad arse CRT monitors, like the Sony FW-900, but for the heat/power/space/weight combination, I'd buy a LCD.

ProudLarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 ProudLarry
Member since 2004 • 13511 Posts
[QUOTE="ProudLarry"]

1. Price

jed-at-war

Does that noticable drop in image quality when using a resolution other than the native affect the desktop and graphic applications or mainly just stuff like games?

It will affect everything. With LCDs, you have a specific number of pixels, which translates into a specific resolution. So if the native resoluion is 1280x1024, running at anything else will mean that you're trying to display a different number of pixels than your LCD actually has. So it results in image distortion.

Aedric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Aedric
If you want colour fidelity stay away from tn film lcd's. Though they cost a bit more you don't get the crappy dithering effect. (Bothered me so much). I'm running the Samsung 215tw and I'd recommend it.
sabbath2gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 sabbath2gamer
can someone just plz link me a good CRT or LCD not widescreen and not over $150
jed-at-war

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jed-at-war

can someone just plz link me a good CRT or LCD not widescreen and not over $150sabbath2gamer

How large are we talking? That is not a very high budget.

Aedric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Aedric

You can't get a good lcd or CRT for $150.

sabbath2gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 sabbath2gamer
maybe 17 inch for CRT or 19 inch and 19inch for LCD
j3ninja10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 j3ninja10
Member since 2007 • 1434 Posts

some of you guys have said to get a widescreen i prefer that it isnt widescreen its like seeing the image streched ewww...

and good fullscreen LCD

sabbath2gamer

the image on a widescreen isnt stretched so please learn that before you jump to conclusion

jed-at-war

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jed-at-war

I have been researching up on monitors, and I have found that the viewable area of a CRT is about 1" less than it is listed. That is something that should be considered.

How far off can the colors of an LCD be off? If you calabrate it, shouldn't you be able to get it to look the way it should, enough to match a CRT? I am a graphic designer, and the monitor I have now does not have the contrast I like. I looked, and a CRT to replace it would cost way more than a LCD of equal viewable area.

darksdowdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 darksdowdo
Member since 2004 • 421 Posts
Well i got 2 monitar in Duel View one for Gameing That is my CRT and my LCD is for like Videos Internet stuff like that.
jed-at-war

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jed-at-war
I am having a hard time with LCD vs CRT. If you calibrate the color, the LCD's color should be accurate, right? As for native res, my grandpa's 15" 720p HD tv/monitor looks great at 800x600 (it is a 4:3 screen).
sabbath2gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 sabbath2gamer

OMG...

fine can someon just link a good monitor under $200 lcd crt i dont care anymore i thought this topic would end after 3 posts well i guess its my fault just link the best bang for my buck btw my specs are

x1950pro

amd 5200 2.6 ghz

windows vista premium

plz link a monitor...... jesus:roll:

jed-at-war

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 jed-at-war
This is all I could come up with. It has the viewing area of an 18" CRT. It is also a TFT screen and has a good low pixel pitch. Response time is good to. Like I said, I don't know how the color could be an issue if you calibrate the color.
subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 subrosian
Member since 2005 • 14232 Posts
LCD's are better than CRT is most cases (At least in recent years) that book must be several years old,and there are no 1680x1050 CRT's.Indestructible2

False in *every way* in terms of color fidelity, contrast, black levels, viewing angle, and overall image quality good CRT monitors are still ahead of LCD. The biggest problem is simply that people *stopped* making CRT monitors, meaning it's extremely hard to find a new, large, quality CRT monitor.

Don't let that fool you - there are still *very few* LCDs under a grand that have image quality even close.

Darkfire6247

Irrelevant. No, really. The "digital" only matters to LCDs because for many years the image-processing circuits for analog signals were not as good - DVI literally meant a better picture simply because of cost-cut circuitry, not "improved quality".

and good fullscreen LCD

sabbath2gamer

At the very least, you want an overdriven PVA / MVA panel or (if you have more money) an IPS. Do *not* under any circumstances get a TN panel. You can safetly throw the response time and contrast ratings *out the window* on any TN monitor - those "2ms panels" are quoting one specific transistion, and are only "fast" because they're 6-bit panels (aka, under 300,000 colors - versus the 16.7 million colors of an 8-bit panel).

There are some nice 24" Dell panels still (rumor has it the 2008 edition will be TN so, buy while you still can before the trainwreck comes...). Samsung makes a 19" PVA 4:3 panel, and Viewsonic makes both 19" and 20" monitors (starting at $330 and $400 respectively) that are awesome.

can someone just plz link me a good CRT or LCD not widescreen and not over $150sabbath2gamer

You cannot get anything good for $150. For around $200 you might be able to get an old 18" Viewsonic CRT, which is 1600 x 1200 and will have a decent image quality. For $270 you can get a Samsung 940t, which is a PVA panel. For $330, you get a 19" Viewsonic Pro... these are all 4:3 and nice monitors. With such a low budget, you are stuck with 17" CRTS (stuck at 1024x768 since the refresh maxes at 60hz for 12x10) or really low-end 19" widescreen / 17" 4:3 LCDs...
Aedric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Aedric

I have been researching up on monitors, and I have found that the viewable area of a CRT is about 1" less than it is listed. That is something that should be considered.

How far off can the colors of an LCD be off? If you calabrate it, shouldn't you be able to get it to look the way it should, enough to match a CRT? I am a graphic designer, and the monitor I have now does not have the contrast I like. I looked, and a CRT to replace it would cost way more than a LCD of equal viewable area.

jed-at-war

A Tn Film monitor can't display true colours. If you get a colour outside its range it will put two similar colours beside itself to simulate the colour. This is called dithering. Basically any lcd under 200$ is going to do this (May be a Few exceptions). If you want good colour reproduction on an LCD, a 1680x1050 monitor will cost you $350min and more likely $500 or so. You get what you pay for.

jed-at-war

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jed-at-war
[QUOTE="jed-at-war"]

Aedric

A Tn Film monitor can't display true colours. If you get a colour outside its range it will put two similar colours beside itself to simulate the colour. This is called dithering. Basically any lcd under 200$ is going to do this (May be a Few exceptions). If you want good colour reproduction on an LCD, a 1680x1050 monitor will cost you $350min and more likely $500 or so. You get what you pay for.

I assume that you are talking about TFT LCD's which are about +$350 for a good one. I noticed that the monitor I listed above is a TFT/TN. I don't know how they mix those technologies, but it is a stat "lie." TFT LCDs can show 16.7million colors and have a wider veiw angle than TN. This is a good monitor, but it is out of his price range. I am suspicious of that low price though. Of course it is a smaller screen size for a 1680x1050 monitor.

I would personally go for this one though, maybe. Its pixel pitch is a little high, and its contrast is only 800:1.

subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 subrosian
[QUOTE="Aedric"][QUOTE="jed-at-war"]

jed-at-war

I assume that you are talking about TFT LCD's which are about +$350 for a good one. I noticed that the monitor I listed above is a TFT/TN. I don't know how they mix those technologies, but it is a stat "lie." TFT LCDs can show 16.7million colors and have a wider veiw angle than TN. This is a good monitor, but it is out of his price range. I am suspicious of that low price though. Of course it is a smaller screen size for a 1680x1050 monitor.

I would personally go for this one though, maybe. Its pixel pitch is a little high, and its contrast is only 800:1.

Sorry dude... I don't even know where to begin.

I'm not going to be a jerk and say "self-owned" or any of that crap here. However, in the future, I'd recommend you do some more research before giving advice.

-

TFT stands for Thin-Film Transistor, and it is a type of active matrix LCD used in ALMOST ALL CONSUMER MONITORS. Basically, if you're buying an LCD screen, it's a TFT. This is in contrast to passive-LCDs, such as those used in pocket calculators, which use a different type of LCD screen.

Anyway, basically any monitor you're buying a TFT display.

There are three main types of TFT panels used in consumer monitors:

TN (twisted nematic)

MVA (multi-domain vertical alignment)

IPS (in-plane switching)

-

Now, panels come in different color depths, 6-bit, 8-bit, and occasionally even higher depth panels (though not in typical consumer panels). There are *few* if *any* 8-bit TN panels. To the best of my knowledge, there are *no* commercially available 8-bit TN panels, despite what the companies claim. This is because 8-bit panels are more expensive to manufacture, and consumers who care enough to demand true 8-bit panels are willing to also pay for the superior blacks, viewing angles, and color fidelity of MVA / PVA (samsung's varient) or IPS technology.

6-bit panels can only display 262,000 colors, versus the 16.7 million colors of an 8-bit panel.

How come so many TN panels claim to display 16.2 or 16.7 million colors then, when in reality the are *incapable of doing so*? Dithering. The panel sets two adjacent pixels as colors a little above and below the target color, and it "tricks" your eyes into seeing the inbetween color. In reality, what it does is create serious color banding. Take an TN display to a smooth gradient, and it will break in into little stair-steps.

TN-panels make smooth color transitions look cel-shaded.

ANY TN-panel you can buy is 6-bit (despite what the marketing claims) and will offer you *poor* color reproduction, in part simply because it *cannot* actually display millions upon millions of colors.

-

As far as contrast, response time, et cetera for any TN panel, or frankly most monitors under a grand - you can toss those metrics out the window. Few if any marketing teams adhere to a standard means of measuring such things. In fact, the main reason LCD panels have become significantly "faster" lately in terms of response times is because grey-to-grey response has replaced black-to-white in many listings, and TN panels have replaced much higher quality MVA and IPS panels in the low-end and midrange.

jed-at-war

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 jed-at-war
[QUOTE="jed-at-war"][QUOTE="Aedric"][QUOTE="jed-at-war"]

subrosian

Sorry dude... I don't even know where to begin.

I'm not going to be a jerk and say "self-owned" or any of that crap here. However, in the future, I'd recommend you do some more research before giving advice.

-

TFT stands for Thin-Film Transistor, and it is a type of active matrix LCD used in ALMOST ALL CONSUMER MONITORS. Basically, if you're buying an LCD screen, it's a TFT. This is in contrast to passive-LCDs, such as those used in pocket calculators, which use a different type of LCD screen.

Anyway, basically any monitor you're buying a TFT display.

There are three main types of TFT panels used in consumer monitors:

TN (twisted nematic)

MVA (multi-domain vertical alignment)

IPS (in-plane switching)

-

Now, panels come in different color depths, 6-bit, 8-bit, and occasionally even higher depth panels (though not in typical consumer panels). There are *few* if *any* 8-bit TN panels. To the best of my knowledge, there are *no* commercially available 8-bit TN panels, despite what the companies claim. This is because 8-bit panels are more expensive to manufacture, and consumers who care enough to demand true 8-bit panels are willing to also pay for the superior blacks, viewing angles, and color fidelity of MVA / PVA (samsung's varient) or IPS technology.

6-bit panels can only display 262,000 colors, versus the 16.7 million colors of an 8-bit panel.

How come so many TN panels claim to display 16.2 or 16.7 million colors then, when in reality the are *incapable of doing so*? Dithering. The panel sets two adjacent pixels as colors a little above and below the target color, and it "tricks" your eyes into seeing the inbetween color. In reality, what it does is create serious color banding. Take an TN display to a smooth gradient, and it will break in into little stair-steps.

TN-panels make smooth color transitions look cel-shaded.

ANY TN-panel you can buy is 6-bit (despite what the marketing claims) and will offer you *poor* color reproduction, in part simply because it *cannot* actually display millions upon millions of colors.

-

As far as contrast, response time, et cetera for any TN panel, or frankly most monitors under a grand - you can toss those metrics out the window. Few if any marketing teams adhere to a standard means of measuring such things. In fact, the main reason LCD panels have become significantly "faster" lately in terms of response times is because grey-to-grey response has replaced black-to-white in many listings, and TN panels have replaced much higher quality MVA and IPS panels in the low-end and midrange.

I got that from the internet. :)

I know what I said is true, but I confused TFT with something else. So the real technologies that support 8-bit is IPS amd MVA?

Thinker_145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Thinker_145
Member since 2007 • 2546 Posts

You cannot get anything good for $150. For around $200 you might be able to get an old 18" Viewsonic CRT, which is 1600 x 1200 and will have a decent image quality. For $270 you can get a Samsung 940t, which is a PVA panel. For $330, you get a 19" Viewsonic Pro... these are all 4:3 and nice monitors. With such a low budget, you are stuck with 17" CRTS (stuck at 1024x768 since the refresh maxes at 60hz for 12x10) or really low-end 19" widescreen / 17" 4:3 LCDs...

I have a viewsonic 17" CRT monitor with a max refresh rate of 75hz at 12x10.
subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 subrosian

I know what I said is true, but I confused TFT with something else. So the real technologies that support 8-bit is IPS amd MVA?

jed-at-war

It probably was supposed to say IPS-TFT instead of just TFT. Yes, MVA and IPS are both typically 8-bit panels.
subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 subrosian
Thinker_145

I have a viewsonic 17" CRT monitor with a max refresh rate of 75hz at 12x10.

If he can find one like that, that would be great. Unfortunately most of the 17" CRTs now aren't high-quality Viewsonics. If you order online, I'm sure you could still find out like yours. On the other hand, the "off brand" CRTs floating around now? Not as good... you may wind up with one that only supports 60hz at 12x10.
Phabiuo3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Phabiuo3
Member since 2004 • 511 Posts

I don't mean to beat the dead horse but I may repeat what has already been said. With that out of the way, I will first say I prefer LCD monitors. In fact, I own an NEC 20wmgx2:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824002319

However, if you are on a budget I reccomend a CRT. Not just because they are cheaper, but because they scale better than CRTs. LCDs look beautiful, but quickly degrade in quality when you run Windows or games at non native resolutions. If you have an equally budget rig, you probably won't want to crank the resolution too high, or have to use AA anyways.

The greatest advantage CRTs have is definetly response time. While it is instant on a CRT a few milliseconds can actually make quite a difference in tearing. This way, CRT users can completely ditch V sync, which will also give them better performance.

Besides these two issues, CRTs don't really win anywhere else. LCDs (that aren't huge) have become fast enough to overcome noticable ghosting. In my case, color accuracy is actually better on my LCd than my old CRT. This is because of a technology called DVM, which dynamically adjusts contrast, and because it it has an opticlear coating. Both are unheard of to CRTs. Lets not forget widescreen either. You'd be hard pressed to find enough quality widescreen CRTs as you could CRTs. If you're really ambitous, you can even go for Triple Head To Go, yet another limitation of CRTs. And yes, they are clunky and sometimes you are paying for a lot of plastic case. LCds generally offer more inputs (i.e. usb, component, vga, dvi-d, composite, and coax are all present on my monitor). They may not be vital for everyone, but I appreciate the versatility.

In conclusion, LCDs continue to grow and evolve while staying affordable and CRTs have been standing still for quite some time.

UPDATE: Yes Jed-at-war, but you forgot AS-IPS.

jed-at-war

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jed-at-war
[QUOTE="jed-at-war"]

subrosian

It probably was supposed to say IPS-TFT instead of just TFT. Yes, MVA and IPS are both typically 8-bit panels.

Because of the "liying" done in the stats, the only way that I know how to tell the difference between mold and gold is the view angle. TNs are unable to go higher than 160deg while the best are able to go quite a bit more.

subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 subrosian
[QUOTE="subrosian"][QUOTE="jed-at-war"]

jed-at-war

Because of the "liying" done in the stats, the only way that I know how to tell the difference between mold and gold is the view angle. TNs are unable to go higher than 160deg while the best are able to go quite a bit more.

Somwhat yes. The mark of non-TN panels is the 178 degree+ viewing angle combined with response times of >6ms. Of course, it helps to research the panel even then, because unfortunately the stats put out by many companies, even for some more expensive panels, are just marketing materials.