Is World of Warcraft losing its popularity?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

beau_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 beau_x
Member since 2009 • 180 Posts

I haven't played in about 6 months and haven't heard any buzz (other than Cataclycism) recently either. Is WoW starting to its appeal?

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

The game has, more or less, stopped growing (in terms of additional subscribers). There are still millions of players. Cataclysm is expected to be released this year. You probably havent heard a huge amount of things because Blizzard has their own dedicated convention in October and are likely to be waiting until then to say anything.

araksik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 araksik
Member since 2009 • 537 Posts

Ever since the release of WoTLK, WoW has stopped growing. A ton of veteran players quit the game due to WoTLK being so casual.

Toy_Machine_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#4 Toy_Machine_
Member since 2009 • 104 Posts

Yeah, kinda I haven't anything in like months. But there is starcraft getting a bunch of hype. You watch the next WoW the hype will start right back up...

ghegpatatas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ghegpatatas
Member since 2010 • 611 Posts
maybe because blizzard had recently released SC2.
Thunderlip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Thunderlip
Member since 2007 • 236 Posts

When a game has been out for 2 years it is going to loose popularity. I think that most of the people(including myself) are just waiting for Cataclysm. Once Blizzard gives a release date for the new expansion more and more people will start to trickle back into WoW. Just burnt out with the current content.

unrealkw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 unrealkw
Member since 2005 • 161 Posts

maybe because blizzard had recently released SC2.ghegpatatas

That or people are getting burn out in which I did:(

James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 James00715
Member since 2003 • 2484 Posts
Cataclysm is coming out pretty late compared to the last major content patch. With nothing new in the game, a lot of people cancel their subscriptions to save money. So right now the subscription numbers would be less than the 11 million or whatever they last reported. When Cataclysm comes out, it should be back up there again. Overall the game has stopped growing though. Expansion packs are fun, but it's still largely the same gameplay as before. Just with higher levels and better gear.
MazehcS0ul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MazehcS0ul
Member since 2009 • 1773 Posts

Ever since the release of WoTLK, WoW has stopped growing. A ton of veteran players quit the game due to WoTLK being so casual.

araksik

I quit when I reached level 60 I didn't feel like buying tBC and WoTLK. To much of my life went to that game.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 XaosII

I think you all need to find a new MMORPG to play.

Howz about a free one for a change that you can play without having to pay a cent for if you don't want to.

Try Allods online.

http://allods.gpotato.com/

SpArTaXuS

Except they should to be good. There arent any good free MMOs.

SupergumXP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SupergumXP
Member since 2003 • 189 Posts

I think everyone is just drawn to starcraft 2, it being blizzards first new release in 6 years. I think WoW hype will grow once the release date for cataclysm is announced.

I do think they should sell cataclysm as a standalone expansion though... sure charge $50 and throw in a free month. I know a few people who feel like getting in, but dont want to buy 2 or 3 expansion packs.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 XaosII

I think everyone is just drawn to starcraft 2, it being blizzards first new release in 6 years. I think WoW hype will grow once the release date for cataclysm is announced.

I do think they should sell cataclysm as a standalone expansion though... sure charge $50 and throw in a free month. I know a few people who feel like getting in, but dont want to buy 2 or 3 expansion packs.

SupergumXP

Erm... thats pretty much the way it is.

The original WoW will have its world updated without the need for Cataclysm. You should only get The Burning crusade once you hit level 60. Same with WOTLK at level 70. And the same thing with Cataclysm at level 80. If your friends want to get in, let them get in. By the time they hit 60 they'll have more than enough of an informed basis to make the purchasing decision to get the expansions.

MrLions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 MrLions
Member since 2007 • 9833 Posts

araksik

I like you.

araksik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 araksik
Member since 2009 • 537 Posts

[QUOTE="araksik"]

MrLions

I like you.

It's true, though. PvE is ridiculously easy compared to how it was in TBC/vanilla, and getting way above 2000 rating in arena is a breeze. I've seen people who were 1600 rated in TBC at 2600 in WoTLK, it's a joke, really.

Raxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Raxzor
Member since 2003 • 5399 Posts

Yup the hardcore raiders have gone and now the game is more casual so you do get to see endgame content in a casual guild. And Cataclysm sounds like it's going to be even more casual.

As for popularity I think it's pretty much peaked now. Can't see it getting many more subs may see a huge reserage of old subbers coming back to see what Cataclysm is like because after all it is going back to Vanillia content.

I used to be a hardcore raid and did MC, BWL and all that bollocks, but I prefer the game more casual I know fit the game around my life rather than the other way round.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts
I probably would have still played WoW had the the game been like this from the beginning...I had to quit playing when I got to MC/BWL/ZG/ect as there is not way I could sit there for 4-5 hours trying to complete a raid.
Im_single

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Im_single
Member since 2008 • 5134 Posts
It's peaked for sure, but I don't think it's losing popularity or the subs are dwindling.
Ondoval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ondoval
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

[QUOTE="MrLions"]

[QUOTE="araksik"]

araksik

I like you.

It's true, though. PvE is ridiculously easy compared to how it was in TBC/vanilla, and getting way above 2000 rating in arena is a breeze. I've seen people who were 1600 rated in TBC at 2600 in WoTLK, it's a joke, really.

Is true, latest contents were overall so easy that most of players finished the quest and searches in barely a couple of months if not less. Hardcore players are discouraged due to gain access to elite stuff is way, way easier than at the beginning of WoW or in Diablo II, and this reduces the appeal. WoW numbers aren't stagnated, but in fall.

Im_single

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Im_single
Member since 2008 • 5134 Posts

[QUOTE="araksik"]

[QUOTE="MrLions"]

I like you.

Ondoval

Is true, latest contents were overall so easy that most of players finished the quest and searches in barely a couple of months if not less. Hardcore players are discouraged due to gain access to elite stuff is way, way easier than at the beginning of WoW or in Diablo II, and this reduces the appeal. WoW numbers aren't stagnated, but in fall.

Proof? or speculation? Just curious because I haven't heard reports of WoW's numbers falling at all, just staying in and around the same numbers they've had for the last couple of years.
Raxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Raxzor
Member since 2003 • 5399 Posts
[QUOTE="Ondoval"]

[QUOTE="araksik"]

Im_single

Proof? or speculation? Just curious because I haven't heard reports of WoW's numbers falling at all, just staying in and around the same numbers they've had for the last couple of years.

If the numbers for WoW where falling, trust me you would know about it! There are some people that will be almost gleeful at WoWs decline, because there is some major hate for WoW in some circles (most of it because it's popular to hate what's popular lol). In all honesty I think we will see a fall in numbers if Bioware can pull off 'The Old Republic' with some style.
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 XaosII

[QUOTE="Ondoval"]

[QUOTE="araksik"]

Im_single

They've fallen dramatically. By around 5-ish million or so. But thats because the game was temporarily shut down in China for everal months. And they havent been able to fully deply The Burning Crusade on Chinese servers either. Its not Blizzard's fault. The chinese government has been cracking down on any non-chinese business as they dont like forieng companies from profiting off chinese consumers.

wildemu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 wildemu
Member since 2003 • 82 Posts
I think the most depressing thing with wow is that they are really struggling to fill in content since last December. Ruby Sanctum has been a total flop because it is too difficult to be pugged for this type of community. On top of that, Blizzard got the whole community excited with the Gnomeregan and Zalazane world events, but not one peep has been made about it since May. I'm sure a lot of people quit, but there's always people coming back because there is nothing else to do in this genre. Frankly, Blizzard has been an epic disappointment with WoW since last September when they released the fail Trial of the Champion raid. They need to redeem themselves big time in the next expansion.
KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts

well 11 500 000 active subs earlier this year...

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#26 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11797 Posts

When a game has been out for 2 years it is going to loose popularity. I think that most of the people(including myself) are just waiting for Cataclysm. Once Blizzard gives a release date for the new expansion more and more people will start to trickle back into WoW. Just burnt out with the current content.

Thunderlip

Actually its almost 6 years, WOW launched towards the end of '04

StopThePresses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 StopThePresses
Member since 2010 • 2767 Posts
I don't even understand how people can play the same MMORPG for so long, regardless of what it is.
MrLions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MrLions
Member since 2007 • 9833 Posts

well 11 500 000 active subs earlier this year...

KalDurenik
How many of those are 2nd,3rd,4th,5th, even 6th accounts, gold farmers, and bots? minus like probably 3million aww man thats still a big number.
KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 KalDurenik

So?

Its 11 500 000 active subs. Honestly that is alot of money. It dont mather if 7milion of them are bots that pay monthly.

Also at mos there might be 50-100k bots over all servers. They are not that many now days.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 XaosII

So?

Its 11 500 000 active subs. Honestly that is alot of money. It dont mather if 7milion of them are bots that pay monthly.

Also at mos there might be 50-100k bots over all servers. They are not that many now days.

KalDurenik

They dont have 11 million subs. They have much, much, much less now. But it still in the 4 - 6 million range.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Renevent42
How are you determining that? The last press release they did was 11.5 million...
KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 KalDurenik

In the latest press release (this year) it was 11.5m active subs... With active subs they meant: Accounts that have been active for x,y time (cant remember what the time frame was), not banned / temp banned, not trials.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 XaosII

How are you determining that? The last press release they did was 11.5 million...Renevent42

Yeah...And that was a while ago. They havent released any new updates because an updated press release using the same criteria would nearly half their numbers.

My number at its best, is purely an estimate. But just to get a rough idea of the headaches Blizzard is going through:

September 22, 2009 China's GAPP allows WoW to open up again after being forced down for two months by the government. November 3, 2009 GAPP shuts down WoW in China again. This has been going on back on forth several times since early 2009. They've lost most of their asian players, which consist of roughly half that number. At the 10 million miestone mark, 5.5 million were asian players.

WoW in China, in its current stance is in this weird void where some of The Burning Crusade content is in place but not all of it. A lot of it has to do with China's Ministry of Culture's frequent request to censor the game due to all of the exposed skeletons and bones in the game. The gmae is also shut down randomly for weeks at a time while "under investigation" by China's Ministry of Culture.

Theres alot more. But the short of it, not related to gaming, is that China hates foreign companies that provide good or services to chinese where the government cant directly control. There are far less issues and government restrictions to chinese made and operated MMOs. Theres other issues to not related to WoW or Blizzard but to other non-chinese companies too. You can read about it every once in a while in Businessweek.

EDIT: WoW's 11.5 million subscribers was a figure from 2008. The majority of problems and crackdowns in China started shortly after that.

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 KalDurenik

The press release is here on Gamespot if you want to take a look at it. And yes i know blizzard make like 1 / 20th of the money in korea and so on compared to EU. But they are still active subs whenever you like it or not ;)

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Renevent42
Well I think you are making a bit of a jump to say they lost most of their Chinese subscribers...but certainly what you posted would have an impact one would think. Thanks for posting the info.
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 XaosII

Well I think you are making a bit of a jump to say they lost most of their Chinese subscribers...but certainly what you posted would have an impact one would think. Thanks for posting the info.Renevent42

Well, then the government closes you down for months at a time, you dont actually have subscribers for that month now, do you? ;)

WoW in China is is this strange flux of operation then down time. I cant accurately estimate how many are counted as subscribers and how many are just waiting till something gets resolved. But i dont think even Blizzard can estimate that.

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 KalDurenik

Maybe... Maybe not. But then again if blizzard said 11.5m active subs then it is 11.5m active subs untill someone can prove with some data that they have less ofc.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Renevent42

[QUOTE="Renevent42"]Well I think you are making a bit of a jump to say they lost most of their Chinese subscribers...but certainly what you posted would have an impact one would think. Thanks for posting the info.XaosII

Well, then the government closes you down for months at a time, you dont actually have subscribers for that month now, do you? ;)

WoW in China is is this strange flux of operation then down time. I cant accurately estimate how many are counted as subscribers and how many are just waiting till something gets resolved. But i dont think even Blizzard can estimate that.

Yeah but when it comes back online you do ;) So are they online now, as in today? If they are, there's really nothing to go on as far as how many subscribers there are...unless you have some kind of other information to post? I agree with you that this would certainly effect their player base, but to what degree is pure speculation (unless, again, you have some other information?).
kingfiend138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 kingfiend138
Member since 2006 • 105 Posts

Mortal Online

check that out, Ultimasesque freeroam sand box full pvp full loot mmo using unreal engine 3, currently my favirote game

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Renevent42

Mortal Online

check that out, Ultimasesque freeroam sand box full pvp full loot mmo using unreal engine 3, currently my favirote game

kingfiend138
Is there a trial to this?
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 XaosII

Yeah but when it comes back online you do ;) So are they online now, as in today? If they are, there's really nothing to go on as far as how many subscribers there are...unless you have some kind of other information to post? I agree with you that this would certainly effect their player base, but to what degree is pure speculation (unless, again, you have some other information?).Renevent42

I have no clue if its currently on right now. Its relatively rare you actually hear any news from the Chinese version. And i suspect everything i've said is probably "new" information for alot of people. As far as i know, they are still trying to get approval for WoTLK from the government's agencies. I cant say with accuracy what their numbers are - but i can tell you its not 11.5 million. It might go back up to that number - or even higher - if they ever get to launch WoTLK in China.

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 KalDurenik

But china is allways "slower" on the expansions. I mean they just got Burning crusade not so long ago O.o

Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts

The game really is to easy, I had friends that I met at work that got me into the game, they had a year head start on me, as far was raiding and gearscore and toons. With in 5 months I had 2 level 80's and my main toon had a 5600 Gearscore when I quit. I was geared just as well as then and raiding the same instances. I did grind that %%%% out though. That was a sad time in my life, I think the fact that I am so competive drove me to try and catch them, they thought they were wow elites ans it was fun to get right on there heels in so little time. I thought I quit for good but I may come back for cataclysm.

Ondoval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Ondoval
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

The press release is here on Gamespot if you want to take a look at it. And yes i know blizzard make like 1 / 20th of the money in korea and so on compared to EU. But they are still active subs whenever you like it or not ;)

KalDurenik

Be as optimist as you want, WoW is still a successful game, isn't "in risk" or something, butI think that XaosII arguments and links proved broadly that the "11.5 million subscribers" is currently a myth, a fallacy, a farce. Activision doesn't lose any opportunity to ramark how good they games sold, so no "news" from WoW numbers in 2 years means bad news. As simple as this.

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 KalDurenik

There was a press release this year so...