Is Windows 8 the best OS ever?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for samanthademeste
samanthademeste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Is Windows 8 the best OS ever? (35 votes)

Yes 23%
No 77%

Do you think that the Windows 8 is the best OS ever?

• 
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

I voted NO but it's probably one of the best (if we are talking about Microsoft Operating Systems).

I would say XP really did a good job, once it was at least in it's Service Pack 2 state, after a few unstable versions before it.

Windows 7 went back to greatness after the disaster that was ME and Vista, and Windows 8.1 (with Update 1) has now shown that Microsoft has continued a good trend with what basically is Windows 7, but faster with more features and also touch friendly.

If they nail Windows 9, I would probably say that they will have the best Windows OS so far.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9412 Posts

depends on what you want to do. for gaming win7-8 are about the same. for programming nothing beats a linux OS, unless of course you're trying to program in directx (but why would you do that?). I'll say no though.

Avatar image for gogoplexiorayo2
Gogoplexiorayo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#3 Gogoplexiorayo2
Member since 2013 • 189 Posts

ahh windows 8. Love it!

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 AlexKidd5000
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

Well, while I think Windows 8 is better than Windows 7 by a good amount, and is a very nice OS, it ain't the best OS ever. I personally would give that medal to GNU/Linux.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

lolno

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Windows 7 is.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

Each operating system is used for different things and applications. In my opinion, Windows 8.1 (update 1) is most likely Microsoft's best OS. You can make an argument for xp (as it stood the test of time). And Windows 7 for bringing XP into the modern age but 8.1 is still a fantastic OS and it does work very well. It's difficult to find something that is terribly broken. It would be impossible to name one OS that is better then all others.

Liqa_Madiq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Liqa_Madiq
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

my SuperPi test XP the fastest out of Vista/win7/8

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FelipeInside

@liqa_madiq said:

my SuperPi test XP the fastest out of Vista/win7/8

Fastest in what? Depends what you're talking about.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FelipeInside

@reaper4278 said:

What does Windows 8 do that 7 does not? If Windows 8 is so great why are so many people sticking with 7? Not a great sign of the best OS ever.

Apart from all the new features and better speeds? People are sticking with 7 cause it's a great OS and it's what they have on their PCs, simple. Not everyone just goes out and upgrades a whole OS because there is something new out there. The only reason I installed Win8 was because I built a brand new PC, otherwise I would probably still be on 7.

Avatar image for deactivated-58f830d098e0e
deactivated-58f830d098e0e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-58f830d098e0e
Member since 2014 • 90 Posts

I like windows 8. its better than you think. it has fast and custom factory reset. but I prefer 7 don't kno how to use 8

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts

best windows ever. i know a few people whose pcs boot faster on windows 8 than windows 7. there's one reason right there.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

I went with 7 when I built my computer last summer. So far it's the best operating system I've used.

kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kungfool69
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

@FelipeInside: i swapped to 8 because my 7 was never legit, and i finally got a free copy of win8 from work ;) first legit OS on my personal rig since XP......

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

I got a windows 8 laptop several months ago, and the OS still pisses me off even having gotten used to it somewhat. Metro was clearly not meant for desktops and the lack of start menu can make it a pain in the ass to navigate sometimes. Thank goodness Microsoft is bringing that back for 8.2 and 9.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts
@FelipeInside said:

Apart from all the new features and better speeds?

I haven't gained anything since upgrading from Windows 7 to 8.1. I've been on it for the last 6 months. And everything still doesn't show up in the search and I have to make sure EVERYTHING is running as admin so I don't run into problems.

The metro UI is still completely useless and annoying. I've said it over and over. It's a fucking chore to navigate with a mouse and keyboard. It's like using Android with a M+KB. Just why...

Oh, and here's my proof:

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AlexKidd5000

@reaper4278 said:

@FelipeInside said:

@reaper4278 said:

What does Windows 8 do that 7 does not? If Windows 8 is so great why are so many people sticking with 7? Not a great sign of the best OS ever.

Kind of a smartass reply dude.

If there are these new features I should care then about Microsoft is doing a shit job of marketing. Better speeds? What are we talking about here? Faster startup and shutdown? Please tell me that is not what you are hanging your hat on. They have to do better than that to make up for the stupid design and interface changes. From every comparison I have seen gaming performance is 50/50 depending on the game, and the difference in speeds were marginal no matter which OS came out on top.

I judge the greatness of an OS by how bad it makes me want to upgrade from my current one, and Windows 8 has given me zero reason to do so. If the only reason you have to upgrade to Win 8 is you were building a new system then it is not a great OS. When you can stand to wait for the next Windows OS upgrade and skip Windows 8 altogether and not miss a thing it is not a great OS. In a way Microsoft was a victim of their own success, Win 7 is a damn good OS, period. How do you improve upon greatness? Win 8 could have been a service pack imo, instead it was a cash grab.

My main problems with Windows, are not all the fault of Windows itself, but rather it's wide spread popularity. Having 90% marketshare means it is the prime target for massive amounts of malware, viruses, and crapware that is always bundled with software on websites, like toolbars, and shit loads of other useless crap that only harms your PC. And Linux also made me love having a central place to download software (that is still better than an "App store" from apple and google), a repository that makes installing and removing software a snap. In windows, you have to google all the software you want, download it from some website that no doubt wants to install other crap on your computer, click the .exe, next>next>next...takes ages. Windows feels extremely old, and archaic compared to Linux, when it comes to software management, in my opinion.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

nah, that would be OSX

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Dos 3.1,learn your place mac peasant

@lostrib said:

nah, that would be OSX

iDefinition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 iDefinition
Member since 2009 • 388 Posts

Is this the "x years later" thread you get every now and then? You'll say the same about Windows 9.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By FelipeInside
@AlexKidd5000 said:

@reaper4278 said:

@FelipeInside said:

@reaper4278 said:

If there are these new features I should care then about Microsoft is doing a shit job of marketing. Better speeds? What are we talking about here? Faster startup and shutdown? Please tell me that is not what you are hanging your hat on. They have to do better than that to make up for the stupid design and interface changes. From every comparison I have seen gaming performance is 50/50 depending on the game, and the difference in speeds were marginal no matter which OS came out on top.

I judge the greatness of an OS by how bad it makes me want to upgrade from my current one, and Windows 8 has given me zero reason to do so. If the only reason you have to upgrade to Win 8 is you were building a new system then it is not a great OS. When you can stand to wait for the next Windows OS upgrade and skip Windows 8 altogether and not miss a thing it is not a great OS. In a way Microsoft was a victim of their own success, Win 7 is a damn good OS, period. How do you improve upon greatness? Win 8 could have been a service pack imo, instead it was a cash grab.

My main problems with Windows, are not all the fault of Windows itself, but rather it's wide spread popularity. Having 90% marketshare means it is the prime target for massive amounts of malware, viruses, and crapware that is always bundled with software on websites, like toolbars, and shit loads of other useless crap that only harms your PC. And Linux also made me love having a central place to download software (that is still better than an "App store" from apple and google), a repository that makes installing and removing software a snap. In windows, you have to google all the software you want, download it from some website that no doubt wants to install other crap on your computer, click the .exe, next>next>next...takes ages. Windows feels extremely old, and archaic compared to Linux, when it comes to software management, in my opinion.

Wasn't a smart ass reply, and if you kept reading my post instead of just quoting the first sentence you would have answered your own question.

I don't know how long you have been using PCs for, but Microsoft has always been awful at marketing. They create great software and features, but never really market it right or enough. They are copying Apple a bit now in that regard (Apple are kings at marketing), so they have gotten a bit better, but they still have a way to go.

Your last paragraph is a bit misguided. You don't judge a product based on how much you want to upgrade or not. You judge it based on it's strengths and weaknesses, it's features, it's failings etc. Wanting to upgrade or not is totally irrelevant since you are using Win7 which as you said (and so did I), is a great OS. Even if you did upgrade, you probably wouldn't benefit from the new features, that doesn't mean someone else won't either and also doesn't mean they aren't new features that are available. You are just judging the OS based on YOUR use, not looking at the big picture.

@AlexKidd5000 You can't have both. If Linux became popular as you want it to be, then it would change into "the prime target for massive amounts of malware, viruses, and crapware" as well. Look at Mac before it was so popular, you could never get a virus/spyware for it since no one bothered to make them. Apple even used it as a marketing tactic. Now that it's so popular there is malware for it. As for .exe and next next next, it's called custom installation. If you put Express you only have to click once, and if you're downloading from the App Store (which would be the repository), it's only one click.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By FelipeInside

@reaper4278 said:

@FelipeInside said:
@AlexKidd5000 said:

@reaper4278 said:

@FelipeInside said:

@reaper4278 said:

You really think I did not read the next sentence or two before replying? Just because I only quoted your first sentence does not mean I did not read the rest. It is not like you posted anything mind blowing or quote worthy, and I addressed your other points in my post as well. So you had no reason to think I did not read it. Anyway...

So market for them: What are all these great new features I want that I don't get in Windows 7?

Yes I am judging the OS based on my need for it, how else would I judge it? If it is not an improvement enough to make me go out and upgrade it is not a great OS, it simply is a cash grab add-on to an already great OS. Sorry bro, just the way I see it.

I guess you didn't get my point. Ok, here is another view on it.

Let's say it the year 2009 roughly. You are using Windows XP and you love it. It has Service Pack 3, runs stable, fast and great for gaming. Windows 7 releases. It has a few new features etc etc but you see no reason to upgrade just yet until there are reviews or you are forced to when games require it. Does that make Windows 7 a BAD OS? Just because you didn't go out and upgrade does that mean it is not a great OS? (your words). (and be aware that Win7 offered much less than Win8 as an upgrade)

Just because Microsoft releases a new OS, with features that they needed to release about 5 years ago (MS is always late to the party), doesn't mean you are FORCED to upgrade. It also doesn't mean it's a cash grab. Windows 8 is there for anyone that needs it, but MS aren't "deactivating" Windows 7 for anyone. 7 has support till the year 2020. By then you will probably have had 2 new PCs anyway and needed to reinstall.

It ALSO doesn't mean it's a bad OS just because these new features don't interest YOU (keyword: YOU). Time for a car analogy: you drive your car and are happy with it. The same company brings out a new model but you see no reason to upgrade because you are happy with yours, does that mean the new model is a bad car? Summary: you are judging a new version of a product based on YOUR USES ONLY. Review a product based on what it offers, not just what YOU can get out of it, or else it's just a personal preference opinion.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AlexKidd5000

@FelipeInside said:
@AlexKidd5000 said:

@reaper4278 said:

@FelipeInside said:

@reaper4278 said:

Wasn't a smart ass reply, and if you kept reading my post instead of just quoting the first sentence you would have answered your own question.

I don't know how long you have been using PCs for, but Microsoft has always been awful at marketing. They create great software and features, but never really market it right or enough. They are copying Apple a bit now in that regard (Apple are kings at marketing), so they have gotten a bit better, but they still have a way to go.

Your last paragraph is a bit misguided. You don't judge a product based on how much you want to upgrade or not. You judge it based on it's strengths and weaknesses, it's features, it's failings etc. Wanting to upgrade or not is totally irrelevant since you are using Win7 which as you said (and so did I), is a great OS. Even if you did upgrade, you probably wouldn't benefit from the new features, that doesn't mean someone else won't either and also doesn't mean they aren't new features that are available. You are just judging the OS based on YOUR use, not looking at the big picture.

@AlexKidd5000 You can't have both. If Linux became popular as you want it to be, then it would change into "the prime target for massive amounts of malware, viruses, and crapware" as well. Look at Mac before it was so popular, you could never get a virus/spyware for it since no one bothered to make them. Apple even used it as a marketing tactic. Now that it's so popular there is malware for it. As for .exe and next next next, it's called custom installation. If you put Express you only have to click once, and if you're downloading from the App Store (which would be the repository), it's only one click.

Perhaps the repository for a Linux distro would get attacks, but they are monitored/scanned all the time for security threats, so I reckon that malware/virus attacks would be slim to none, it depends on how tight security is for a given repo. Ubuntu I can only imagine would be the least secure, because I don't really hold Ubuntu or it's repo in very high regard. And the fact that you automatically are not given root privileges by default, so that tightens security up a bit more. And the fact that there are so many distros with there own repositories. The greatest threat is probably from Flash and Java.

The "express" option is what you have to look out for most of the time, because it will install the crap you don't want.

I'm not saying that I want Linux to be just as popular as Windows, an 8 to 10% marketshare for Linux would be pretty sweet, it would be enough for Linux to be of greater consideration for game and software devs.