Is Warhammer Dead Already?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LHOO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 LHOO
Member since 2006 • 170 Posts
not writen by myself but found it might be an interesting read

http://news.mmosite.com/content/2008-10-29/20081029005752118.shtml

I already miss the days when Warhammer online was filled with people and servers had plenty of people to group with. Believe it or not, I miss the days when I had to wait forty minutes to get into my server, because that's what Warhammer is all about. It's not about playing alone and fighting monsters by yourself to gain levels, it's about playing with other people and working together. The good days were when the pre-order members were playing, and public quests had thirty people working together in a giant warband to complete the task as fast as possible. When you could join a queue and instantly find a scenario to play in. When it was easy to find a guild where you could go on at three in the morning and find enough people for a keep siege. But has Warhammer died already? Sure, there is still a large population on the game, but with the chain effect of the game's quality decreasing when the players leave, is it destined to fail in the next couple months?..

If you think I'm crazy, go on the majority of the servers and try finding a scenario or public quest party from the existing population at any time other than 9:00 p.m. Eastern. Sure, you might find them in the early levels, but tier 3 and above are almost impossible to find a queue. I reached rank 21 a week ago and am still sitting comfortably at that rank because I find it boring to do anything other than RvR. I have done several quests and gained about 50% from that, and 25% for pure grinding. But I don't feel like journeying to other cities right now to find more boring quests to do on my own. I realized that in tier 3 I can gain about 3-4% just by doing a scenario, not even including the experience I get from the scenario itself. The problem is, I have gotten one scenario in about four hours of total wait time. No, this is not at three in the morning, it's near peak time in the afternoon after people are home from work and school and ready to relax.

The problem seems to be that Mythic has created far too many servers for an initial release of their game. People have spread out and the population is not nearly as high as it needs to be for this type of game on each server. They are also allowing server transfers which have messed up the system even more. Now, the high population servers are emptying out as people change servers to meet up with friends and guildmates. Now it seems every server has a low population, rather than half being low and some being extremely full. This has ruined great servers such as Wolfenburg which was one of the most popular servers, easily the most popular open RvR server before the transfers. If this trend continues and they keep all of the servers, the population will slowly die out because of players who don't feel like waiting three hours to enjoy the aspect of the game that is the only reason they play the game, RvR. It will spark a chain effect as the populations will continue to decrease, angering more players who will repeat the chain.

It's time Mythic steps up and adresses the problem. They need to get rid of some of these servers and add them back at a later date when the community grows. As it stands right now, I am on the verge of not continuing my subscription and I would absolutely not refer this game to people looking for a RvR experience. The money is just not worth it. If I wanted to grind away by killing monsters for hours and doing repetitive quests for days to level up and reach the max level, I would play one of the hundreds of free MMOGs that are like this. If Mythic doesn't address the problem, either by lowering the number or servers or increasing advertising to get a higher player base, Warhamer is doomed to fail. A game known for competition between realms and teamwork within them can not be played with so few players. In my four hours or so that I have spent in tier 3, I have seen a total of two people within the town I was stationed at. It was a main entrance town and is also home for many quests and public quests.

Come on Mythic, do something!
aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 aaronmullan
Member since 2004 • 33426 Posts
I seen it coming.
Avatar image for metal_head_5566
metal_head_5566

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 metal_head_5566
Member since 2008 • 293 Posts
mehhh same problem with age of conan
johan1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 johan1986
Member since 2003 • 4764 Posts
Jeah very sad
BushWacker69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BushWacker69
Member since 2007 • 614 Posts

grade A bull m8. im in tier 3and about 20 mins ago i was in a scenario, only took 10-15 to get in. plenty of people online and i've never been in a server where yu have to que. last night was doing keep action, and night efore we were back and forth with about 30 order and 30 destro on each side.

in short, for me it's just getting better :D

SimpJee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SimpJee
Member since 2002 • 18309 Posts

I'm on Ulthuan and I have no problem with finding people to play with at Tier 4. It also helps to have a guild so you can have events and people to do things with.

You can't transfer from high pop to low or med pop btw.

Shadowhawk000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Shadowhawk000
Member since 2007 • 3453 Posts
Didint think happen To AOC?
Cenerune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Cenerune
Member since 2008 • 588 Posts
Guess it depends on the server you play on, Dark Crag is very alive, never have to wait more than a few seconds or a minute for the popular scenarios to pop up, even at 3 am. Avelorn RvR zone is at war pretty much every day and often for hours, packs of 50 players on both side crash into each others over the keep. Tho if you really want action, you need a guild, its much more lively when you have friends around and start capturing keeps, people actually show up. Sadly i must say the game is just way too big for the population, even with a full destruction side you don't see many people in most zones. It was busting with life during pre-order and launch because everyone were in those same zones, now the population is spread out between levels.
PunishedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 PunishedOne
Member since 2003 • 6045 Posts

The amount of enjoyment you get is DIRECTLY proportional (Maybe 2-4x more) to how populated your server is.

Monolith turned from a dead server to the most populated server in two days thanks to the transfers.

zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 zomglolcats
Member since 2008 • 4335 Posts

WoW still has a lot of low pop servers. Why they haven't merged those, I'll never know. They went overboard creating new servers for the launch of TBC. Worst of all, was that since TBC introduced Blood Elves and Draenei races, the new servers consisted of about 90% Blood Elves and Draenei. I started up on one of the new TBC servers, and I was like literally 1 of 2 Tauren Druids on lol. Everybody else were Blood Elves. Then people got bored of the novelty of a new server and left to go back and play their Mains, thereby killing those new servers. Free transfers helped some of those servers, but there are still a good number of low pop. ones. Primarily PvP servers that seem to have suffered the most.

The author of this article claims that free transfers are killing the game by spreading out the population. Well what are they going to do? Let there be a couple high pop. servers and let the rest die? Perhaps a merger might be in order, but WAR is one of the most successful launches for MMO's in recent years, and it hasn't been out that long. A lot of people don't like jumping on board a brand new MMO until more content and bug fixes are rolled out for a better gaming experience.

If new players go to create a character and see a high pop. one, and low pop. ones, they will almost always create a character on a high pop. one to have people to play with. If they have free transfers and have a bunch of even pop. servers, than all the servers will benefit from new players, instead of everybody flocking to a select few.

WAR isn't going anywhere. If Vanguard: Saga of Heroes is still online, WAR has a very bright future.

SaintJimmmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SaintJimmmy
Member since 2007 • 2815 Posts
WAR is a great game its just not for everyone (it wasnt for me) and it will always have a decent player base, maybe not a large one but a good player base all the same.
nyrvi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 nyrvi
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

I followed this game for so long.

But wow, what a dissapointment it was :(

_Area51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 _Area51
Member since 2003 • 219 Posts

Completely disagree with the article. I never have to wait more than a few minutes to play a scenario every any night of the week, and I'm only on a Med population server. Yes, open RvR is a little lacking right now, but that is due to players feeling they aren't rewarded enough by it. Apparently there are a lot of people who don't play for fun, only for rewards.

Over the weekend, the Witching Night live event drew 30+ people on each side into massive clashes in Tier 3. I only wish this happened more regularly, but Mythic is working on improving this issue to give more rewards for open RvR.

It is by no means a perfect game, but it is a heck of a lot of fun with great changes currently in the works.

lanceja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lanceja
Member since 2008 • 117 Posts
yeah kinda
Expo_Smacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#15 Expo_Smacko
Member since 2007 • 2332 Posts
I didn't like WAR at all. I found it very boring. But, I think most people played it to waste time until WoTLK comes out.
_Area51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 _Area51
Member since 2003 • 219 Posts
With 800k subscribers, I would hardly consider it dead.
attirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 attirex
Member since 2007 • 2473 Posts

Blizzard refuses to merge low-pop servers because it would be an admission of weakness. ZOMGG 300 million ppl play WoW!

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts

Blizzard refuses to merge low-pop servers because it would be an admission of weakness. ZOMGG 300 million ppl play WoW!

attirex

No it wouldn't. Have you even considered the idea that some people actually enjoy playing on a low population server?

Watercube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Watercube
Member since 2008 • 140 Posts
I un-subbed after a month. I fell victim to the hype, yet again. I should really stop doing that.
PunishedOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 PunishedOne
Member since 2003 • 6045 Posts

I un-subbed after a month. I fell victim to the hype, yet again. I should really stop doing that.Watercube

Reconsider after patch 1.1 in December.

plvness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 plvness
Member since 2007 • 95 Posts
Id like to see an FPS of dawn of war imagine being a space marine seeing an Ork charging you
Watercube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Watercube
Member since 2008 • 140 Posts

[QUOTE="Watercube"]I un-subbed after a month. I fell victim to the hype, yet again. I should really stop doing that.PunishedOne

Reconsider after patch 1.1 in December.

I'll keep my eyes open. I have nothing against the game. Thanks.