Is this the reason why Valve can't count to three?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 0

#1 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

Here's the story.

Not a Valve-hater, but I thought this was a bit interesting. :P

Twisted14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Twisted14
Member since 2007 • 3497 Posts
Wouldn't they make millions of dollars from a new Half Life? I don't see the correlation.
Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts
So valves structureless work enviroment isn't really as structureless as we thought ? That sucks, so wheres Miss Ellsworth gona get her time to shine ?
darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 darksusperia
Member since 2004 • 6945 Posts
so the general take away I got was: 1. Valves comfortable with how and where they are. 2. If its not a sure fire return, then they wont spend anything on exploring potential or R&D
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
HL3 in the next 2-3 years with the new gen....u heard it here first folks.
DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 DevilMightCry
Member since 2007 • 3554 Posts
Fully believable. I like the games Valve put out, but they have done nothing in recent years. They're still using the same graphics engine that made HL2 for pete's sake! Churning put smaller projects that make money and playing it safe. From a business point of view, I get that. But, let not kid ourslves, Valve is mostly relevant because of Half Life. And the longer they wait to make HL3, the older I get, the less I care about it. I have yet to finish either Portals, play any significant time on L4D2, pr give CSGO a serious consideration.
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

Pasting my comment from Eurogamer's story on this subject:

"Old timers" blocked her attempt to hire a machinist for $40,000 a year to manufacture machine parts because it was felt they wouldn't fit into Valve's culture, she claims.

Getting over this shit is what made Google and other companies the behemoths they are today.
You need grunts to do grunt work, or you're wasting resources.
The shit Steam support and the Greenlight f*ck-up are direct results of Valve's reluctance to hire grunts.

The bonus thing, which for some reason the article ignored, sounds toxic: the employees vote for the bonuses. The more "prestigious" a project is, the bigger the bonuses get, even bigger than the yearly salary. How can small, clever projects thrive in such an environment?

DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 DevilMightCry
Member since 2007 • 3554 Posts
Valve doesn't need to make games, their revenue is coming from Steam.
mep69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mep69
Member since 2008 • 1926 Posts
So Valve is stuck in it's comfort zone and is scared to leave it. Ok :/
klusps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#10 klusps
Member since 2005 • 10386 Posts

Sucks to hear, hope they get it all work out. For a moment I thought Valve seem like a nice place to work. 

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#11 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

The shit Steam support and the Greenlight f*ck-up are direct results of Valve's reluctance to hire grunts.

Baranga

While I agree with most of what you posted, Greenlight has not been a **** up, there is some issues but overall I find Greenlight and Kickstarter to be great for pc gaming.

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Baranga

Greenlight has not been a **** up, there is some issues but overall I find Greenlight to be great for pc gaming.

kozzy1234

tumblr_lyhoz65W0L1rnspgdo2_250.gif

Twisted14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Twisted14
Member since 2007 • 3497 Posts
How has Greenlight been a f*ck up? I thought it was going well.
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#14 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
How can small, clever projects thrive in such an environment?Baranga
Imagine if Valve made something small and clever like Portal! Not everybody in a group is going to get along and not everybody will see value in all people. She may have been fired because she was merely treading water with projects that led nowhere. Valve haven't come out to say why, even after she kinda trash talked them via this interview.
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Baranga

How has Greenlight been a f*ck up? I thought it was going well.Twisted14

Scams and turds like American McGee's Akaneiro or Interstellar Marines end up in the store instead of functional, complete and good games - some of which are already available on properly managed stores. Developers are also locked into Greenlight - if a third party offers to publish the game the Greenlight can't be cancelled and Valve won't allow the game on Steam, as it happened with Paranautical Activity.

Greenlight is shit.

Imagine if Valve made something small and clever like Portal! nutcrackr

A game developed by a student team hired specifically for this 7 years ago! What a wonderful accomplishment! Meanwhile the lead developer left Valve because 1. they forced her out of a GDC Game Design Challenge because the theme was sexual and 2. they rejected her following prototypes because they were too "alien".

Remember Alien Swarm? A UT2k4 mod turned into an abandoned Source mod. Then the team was hired and Alien Swarm came out as proof of concept for isometric Source games. It's now resting in gaming heaven, right next to Ricochet...

At least the creators of L4D were able to split amiably after they shipped the first game.

You know, maybe Ellsworth could have done more and better work if they hired cheap machinist she needed - not to mention the other resources her team lacked.

Valve hired her and a couple of other hardware hackers and then left them alone to MacGyver shit in the basement. They still built cool stuff - castAR looks like a killer boardgame device and the virtual reality lenses sound absolutely incredible.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#16 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

[QUOTE="Twisted14"]How has Greenlight been a f*ck up? I thought it was going well.Baranga

Scams and turds like American McGee's Akaneiro or Interstellar Marines end up in the store instead of functional, complete and good games - some of which are already available on properly managed stores. Developers are also locked into Greenlight - if a third party offers to publish the game the Greenlight can't be cancelled and Valve won't allow the game on Steam, as it happened with Paranautical Activity.

Greenlight is shit.

Imagine if Valve made something small and clever like Portal! nutcrackr

A game developed by a student team hired specifically for this 7 years ago! What a wonderful accomplishment! Meanwhile the lead developer left Valve because 1. they forced her out of a GDC Game Design Challenge because the theme was sexual and 2. they rejected her following prototypes because they were too "alien".

Remember Alien Swarm? A UT2k4 mod turned into an abandoned Source mod. Then the team was hired and Alien Swarm came out as proof of concept for isometric Source games. It's now resting in gaming heaven, right next to Ricochet...

At least the creators of L4D were able to split amiably after they shipped the first game.

You know, maybe Ellsworth could have done more and better work if they hired cheap machinist she needed - not to mention the other resources her team lacked.

Valve hired her and a couple of other hardware hackers and then left them alone to MacGyver shit in the basement. They still built cool stuff - castAR looks like a killer boardgame device and the virtual reality lenses sound absolutely incredible.

Valve seems to be throwing out a lot of great ideas and concepts. Alien Swarm was incredibly fun, but at that stage was very barebones and they should have kept improving it and adding more to the game. All these "lead developers" leaving doesn't come to a surprise to me. The creator of City 17 left Valve to work for another developer.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
I must be in another dimension... A topic on GameSpot Forums talking BAD about Valve !!!