deactivated-57dd022e642d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-57dd022e642d9
Member since 2003 • 677 Posts

I'm looking for a new GPU but can't decide. So my question is... Will the the R9 280 or the X be a great card for games like Dragon Age: Inquisition and The Witcher 3? If so what brand do you recommend (MSI, GIGABYTE or ASUS). Or should I go for the MSI GTX 770? My budget is 200 euros, can't spend more than that. Please help.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@Zaka said:

I'm looking for a new GPU but can't decide. So my question is... Will the the R9 280 or the X be a great card for games like Dragon Age: Inquisition and The Witcher 3? If so what brand do you recommend (MSI, GIGABYTE or ASUS). Or should I go for the MSI GTX 770? My budget is 200 euros, can't spend more than that. Please help.

Hands down 770, it generates less heat, about 10% stronger GPU than the 280X and it got PhysX.

Looking for brand depends on what you want to do with it, I know MSI and Gigabyte are good for OC, MSI got the sweetspot between silence and OC, while Asus got the best warranty (RMA service etc)

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

@Zaka said:

you would be well served by either cards,the 280x can be had for stupidly cheap now the 770 is a bit more expensive but offers a bit more performance in many games (the 280x is faster in a few instances though) either choice is a good choice so it's just down to personal preference for AMD or Nvidia

As for Brands, my personal choice would be either MSI twin Frozr or Asus Direct CU II for either cards

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@naz99 said:

@Zaka said:

you would be well served by either cards,the 280x can be had for stupidly cheap now the 770 is a bit more expensive but offers a bit more performance in many games (the 280x is faster in a few instances though) either choice is a good choice so it's just down to personal preference for AMD or Nvidia

As for Brands, my personal choice would be either MSI twin Frozr or Asus Direct CU II for either cards

if going ASUS Direct CU II for a 280x though, don't do it. Stupidly high vram failure rate, artifacts all over.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

@wis3boi said:

@naz99 said:

@Zaka said:

if going ASUS Direct CU II for a 280x though, don't do it. Stupidly high vram failure rate, artifacts all over.

Speaking from experience i owned the card and it was perfect, I have not read or heard about any such thing, do you have a link to an article or any confirmation of this?

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#8 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

R9 280X offers an extra 1GB of VRAM which is standard for 1080P today. Might want to keep that in mind.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@naz99 said:

@wis3boi said:

@naz99 said:

@Zaka said:

Speaking from experience i owned the card and it was perfect, I have not read or heard about any such thing, do you have a link to an article or any confirmation of this?

Am an owner of one and was lucky enough to get one that could be bios flashed to make it stop mostly. What I get for not reading the user reviews on amazon/newegg :P

sentenced83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#10 sentenced83
Member since 2005 • 1529 Posts

i used to have the 280x and its a beast.. get the gigabyte version.. it is faster than a normal gtx 770 and cheaper also

Avatar image for EducatingU_PCMR
EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11  Edited By EducatingU_PCMR
Member since 2013 • 1581 Posts

It's November 2014, don't go for a 2GB card.

Get the 770 if you can find the 4GB version for cheap, I'd save for a 970 to be honest.

If you can't find the cheap 4GB 770 then go for the 280x, I'd pick the 280x even if it was slightly more expensive just for the extra 1GB of VRAM.

Don't get the Asus 280x though, it has a high chance of faulty VRAM due to factory overvoltage. Go for MSI or Gigabyte or Sapphire, I've heard a lot of GBs are voltage locked, so take that in mind if you like to overclock all you can.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

Like others said both 280 and 770 are great and you cant do much wrong with either card. 770 is a bit faster but it only has 2gb of Vram and it might be a problem in a few upcoming games if you want to play with high settings . 280 on the other hand is a bit slower but has that 1 extra gb of Vram that is good for future proofing. Of course if you can find the 4gb version of 770 for a bit more then its a no brainier

Avatar image for deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
Member since 2009 • 7779 Posts

Not sure on prices where you are, but here the 770 is the same price as the 290 so I don't recommend it.

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

Its great for most games out now but you will need two to be considered great for some of the more demanding newer games that are out and coming out but will still do a very good job in those especially if you overclock it as long as where talking running at 1080p at 60hz or less here.

godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 godzillavskong
Member since 2007 • 7904 Posts

@insane_metalist: I'm buying mine after the holidays. Can't wait. I'm in much need of some of that juicy vram. Too bad when you crossfire you don't get to add the vram of both cards. My 1gb cards are about to get retired. My son is still rocking a gtx460 (sc version), and I thought about giving him my 6870s, but that 460 still does good for him. That's a tank of a gpu. He swears by Nvidia now, so I probably couldn't get him to switch to AMD anyways. lol

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#16 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

@godzillavskong: You're gonna Crossfire 280X's or 290's? Either way your CPU will be a bottleneck. Might want to consider getting FX-8350.

godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 godzillavskong
Member since 2007 • 7904 Posts

@insane_metalist:

No. Hadn't planned on crossfire. Yea. Thinking about building another pc , since my wife uses mine for work at home anyways, managing servers. Her Phenom x3 wasn't fast enough, so she says. Lol . I'm either going with the 8350, or a Intel chip this time. Just not wanting to break the bank.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Its basically an overclocked 7970 isn't it ?

Very good card anyway, seen an MSI R9 280x in my local CEX the other day, the card is bloody huge dwarfs my 7850 in sheer size

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

@godzillavskong said:

@insane_metalist:

No. Hadn't planned on crossfire. Yea. Thinking about building another pc , since my wife uses mine for work at home anyways, managing servers. Her Phenom x3 wasn't fast enough, so she says. Lol . I'm either going with the 8350, or a Intel chip this time. Just not wanting to break the bank.

I would go for the intel chip if I where you get an overclockable intel chip and your good for a long time I'm still rocking my i7 920 and its like 5 years old going on 6 now with a 4Ghz Overclock and a $30 Hyper 212+ cooler.