Is STEAM the way to Go?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KeithTobberman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 KeithTobberman
Member since 2008 • 432 Posts

Hey,

Is Steam the way to go for buying games for PC? Can someone playing a game from steam play with people who bought the hard cover or anywhere other than Steam?

-Thanks

ngwoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ngwoo
Member since 2009 • 116 Posts
Generally speaking, the retail version and Steam version are exactly the same. I prefer Steam because it is convenient and I don't need to fumble with disks, but it's a fairly restrictive form of DRM and is usually more expensive than retail. (Depending on your region, of course)
Avatar image for UnknownElement4
UnknownElement4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 UnknownElement4
Member since 2008 • 2603 Posts

I still prefer to go with retail. I just like the boxes so much. :)

HenriH-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#4 HenriH-42
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts

UnknownElement4

Me too. I like having game boxes on my shelves, you can call that a collection... If you buy from Steam you don't get a box, it's like "hey wanna see my game collection" and then just opening a folder. :?

KeithTobberman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 KeithTobberman
Member since 2008 • 432 Posts

Alright, thanks, so Steam users and those who have the hard copy can play together online no problem?

-Thanks

InfernoBane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 InfernoBane
Member since 2002 • 63 Posts

I have been using Steam since day one, and now prefer to buy my games off Steam if possible. Yes you can interact and play with anyone who has a hardcopy purchased from a retail store.

But you should be aware that Steam games/expansions will not work if you try to install them with hardcopy games/expansions. So if you have a Steam version of a game and you want the expansion, make sure you get that off of Steam as well, and vise versa.

True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#7 True_Sounds
Member since 2009 • 2915 Posts

[QUOTE="UnknownElement4"]

HenriH-42

Me too. I like having game boxes on my shelves, you can call that a collection... If you buy from Steam you don't get a box, it's like "hey wanna see my game collection" and then just opening a folder. :?

I keep a folder on one of my TB hdds with folders containing .ISOs of all my games. Threw out whatever boxes I had, they just took up too much space and are completely pointless. If I have a cd key I'll keep it in a .txt file in the game folder.

I also use steam for about a dozen games but I'm a bit sketched out on their Terms of Service. One wrong move and you get all your games taken away, cause your account will get banned. Not something likely to happen, but it's still really sketchy at best.

bzwax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 bzwax
Member since 2009 • 78 Posts

If a game has multiplayer, you will play with those who bought a game retail. If developers wanted steam players to not play with relail players, they would have to get out of there way to write some extra code which prohibits the two playing with each other.

I have gotten a few games on steam, mostly by waiting for their weekend deals. Somtimes they sell games for 75% off, and if it has good reception I would download it for 5-10 bucks.

skywarp001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 skywarp001
Member since 2007 • 199 Posts

Steam is the #!@$ its awsome! i have every game i own running through it! can always chat with my buddies and keep an eye out for awsome deals! i prefer to buy my games on there cas they auto patch on startup so no need for looking for patches!!!!

Venom_89_69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Venom_89_69
Member since 2007 • 279 Posts

all of the games i buy are retail. mainly because i get them cheaper cause i work at a gaming store.

I use steam only to play Half Life 2 and Team Fortress 2 or the games that require Steam to play like Warhammer Dawn of War 2 or FEAR 2

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

[QUOTE="HenriH-42"]

True_Sounds

I keep a folder on one of my TB hdds with folders containing .ISOs of all my games. Threw out whatever boxes I had, they just took up too much space and are completely pointless. If I have a cd key I'll keep it in a .txt file in the game folder.

I also use steam for about a dozen games but I'm a bit sketched out on their Terms of Service. One wrong move and you get all your games taken away, cause your account will get banned. Not something likely to happen, but it's still really sketchy at best.

] Thats a big waste of space TBH. If you have the disk then just use that. ISO's will just clog but your HDD.
HenriH-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 HenriH-42

True_Sounds

I guess you're not much into collecting then? You might as well just download the games and send the devs directly some money.

AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts
I've only bought download only games on Steam, i'm not sure if i want to do DD or hard copy though.
bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts

Alright, thanks, so Steam users and those who have the hard copy can play together online no problem?

-Thanks

KeithTobberman

you will have no problem playing against people that bought retail versions of the game.

True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 True_Sounds

[QUOTE="True_Sounds"]

HenriH-42

I guess you're not much into collecting then? You might as well just download the games and send the devs directly some money.

Isn't that basically steam? It does seem like a waste to buy games solely for a cd-key, only to rip and dump them afterwards. It IS better than steam in that you're not putting all your eggs in one basket, but I'm starting to go with steam more often now either out of impulse or convenience. I hope pretty soon all devs will sell the cd-keys online and either release by ftp, newsgroups, or bittorrent. Would be alot more efficient.

HenriH-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 HenriH-42

Isn't that basically steam? It does seem like a waste to buy games solely for a cd-key, only to rip and dump them afterwards. It IS better than steam in that you're not putting all your eggs in one basket, but I'm starting to go with steam more often now either out of impulse or convenience. I hope pretty soon all devs will sell the cd-keys online and either release by ftp, newsgroups, or bittorrent. Would be alot more efficient.

True_Sounds

I guess..? But I wonder do the games really take that much space, that you have to throw them away? Especially since nowadays they come in those DVD-style cases. Just put them in a closet or something if you're running low on space. If you just dump 'em, you're wasting money since if you don't need them you can sell them later on, and if you're lucky they might become rare and collector's items. Like the Ultima games, I've seen some of them go for 200€+.

555SSOO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 137

#17 555SSOO
Member since 2008 • 1873 Posts

HenriH-42

Me 3.

Rickymog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Rickymog
Member since 2004 • 35 Posts

No, STEAM isn't the way to go imho... It kills used games market and you can't borrow games from friends... Moreover you need internet to install, which is completely dumb unless the game is something like a MMOG...

HenriH-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 HenriH-42

No, STEAM isn't the way to go imho... It kills used games market and you can't borrow games from friends... Moreover you need internet to install, which is completely dumb unless the game is something like a MMOG...

Rickymog

Agreed. I would never have found out some of the older games if it weren't for the used games market.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b5d7639964d6
deactivated-5b5d7639964d6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5b5d7639964d6
Member since 2008 • 8225 Posts

No, steam is fascist! I only use steam when I don't have any choice or they have really sweet deals. Long live retail!

InfernoBane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 InfernoBane

Rickymog

There is a used PC games market? Do you mean pirating?

I have not purchased a used PC game in years.

HenriH-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 HenriH-42

InfernoBane

There's a lot of stores near me that sell used PC games. Plus there's always flea markets/yard sales etc.

Also I've probably bought 90% of my games used, simply because I wasn't aware of them at the time and they couldn't be found new anymore.

johnny27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 johnny27
Member since 2006 • 4400 Posts

HenriH-42

exactly my thoughts.
Astaroth2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Astaroth2k
Member since 2006 • 877 Posts

[QUOTE="HenriH-42"]

True_Sounds

This is what i do,discs are pointless.Get damaged too easily and just an overall pita when you can mount iso's very quickly and dont need to worry about scratches or losing discs..im messy so its perfect for me.
InfernoBane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 InfernoBane

[QUOTE="InfernoBane"]

HenriH-42

There's a lot of stores near me that sell used PC games. Plus there's always flea markets/yard sales etc.

Also I've probably bought 90% of my games used, simply because I wasn't aware of them at the time and they couldn't be found new anymore.

A neat thing about Steam is that you can pick up old games for $10 and they are compatible with your new OS. I would much rather buy older titles that way then getting the dated original retail version.

HenriH-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 HenriH-42

A neat thing about Steam is that you can pick up old games for $10 and they are compatible with your new OS. I would much rather buy older titles that way then getting the dated original retail version.

InfernoBane

What if you get banned? Or what if Steam ever shuts down? You'll lose all your games. Yes they could release a patch that lets you play your games, but nothing legally forces them to do so. You're essentially giving all your games away to a third party.

Also I prefer having the box, as I've said. And old games need to be played on old systems, so you get the right feel.

adrake4183

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 adrake4183
Member since 2006 • 668 Posts

[QUOTE="InfernoBane"]

HenriH-42

What if you get banned? Or what if Steam ever shuts down? You'll lose all your games. Yes they could release a patch that lets you play your games, but nothing legally forces them to do so. You're essentially giving all your games away to a third party.

Also I prefer having the box, as I've said. And old games need to be played on old systems, so you get the right feel.

so are you keeping around an old 386 just to play games? I don't know how you could keep old systems from every era. Also you don't randomly get banned. You only get banned for doing illegal things or making such a huge nuisance of yourself they have no choice. and if steam ever shuts down you will still be able to play your games offline. I guarantee you if valve didn't release a patch someone else would.
HenriH-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 HenriH-42

so are you keeping around an old 386 just to play games? I don't know how you could keep old systems from every era. Also you don't randomly get banned. You only get banned for doing illegal things or making such a huge nuisance of yourself they have no choice. and if steam ever shuts down you will still be able to play your games offline. I guarantee you if valve didn't release a patch someone else would. adrake4183

What's so strange about it? Console gamers keep their Atari's and NES's around, I keep different PCs from different time periods. I really wouldn't expect a 1989 game to work on a 2009 system. Also 3DFX Voodoo > All. Sound Blaster AWE 64 > All. You just won't get the same feeling if you emulate them. DOS games need to be played on a real DOS using old hardware, emulation is never 100% perfect. I still have my Commodore 64 too.

True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 True_Sounds

[QUOTE="True_Sounds"]

HenriH-42

I guess..? But I wonder do the games really take that much space, that you have to throw them away? Especially since nowadays they come in those DVD-style cases. Just put them in a closet or something if you're running low on space. If you just dump 'em, you're wasting money since if you don't need them you can sell them later on, and if you're lucky they might become rare and collector's items. Like the Ultima games, I've seen some of them go for 200€+.

I move around enough not to want that extra baggage. I highly doubt any games discs that are being sold now are gonna be worth MORE money in the future, you're dreaming man. You can get pretty much anything you want online for free, and companies sell enough discs that there's no way any good modern pc game will become rare.

HenriH-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 HenriH-42

I move around enough not to want that extra baggage. I highly doubt any games discs that are being sold now are gonna be worth MORE money in the future, you're dreaming man. You can get pretty much anything you want online for free, and companies sell enough discs that there's no way any good modern pc game will become rare.

True_Sounds

Alright, it's your choice then. Hopefully you at least have backups of the .iso's :P

InfernoBane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 InfernoBane

[QUOTE="InfernoBane"]

HenriH-42

The games are on my hard drive, and you can play with Steam in offline mode. I'm not worried about Steam getting shut down.

Getting banned is only a problem if you are doing something illegal, which I don't.

You can resist it all you like, but Steam is GOOD for PC gaming.

felixiration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 felixiration
Member since 2009 • 433 Posts

I have 3.5tb total of space, but my room is practically empty other than my computer stuff. Maybe when lack of space in my room is actually a problem I will completely switch to steam and whatnot.

HenriH-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 HenriH-42

The games are on my hard drive, and you can play with Steam in offline mode. I'm not worried about Steam getting shut down.

Getting banned is only a problem if you are doing something illegal, which I don't.

InfernoBane

It is, if you like DD. I don't, I need the box.

What is BS is that some games when bought retail need Steam to use. :evil:

machine_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 machine_B
Member since 2007 • 998 Posts
In a word, yes.
LongZhiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LongZhiZi
Member since 2009 • 2453 Posts

[QUOTE="HenriH-42"]

[QUOTE="InfernoBane"]

InfernoBane

You are bound by their ToS at all times, which they can edit at their convenience. So if Valve decided to data harvest when you go online or install some kind of adware/spyware, you either have to accept it or lose all of your games.
mudman91878

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mudman91878
Member since 2003 • 740 Posts

Rickymog

Used games have the same affect as pirating. DON'T DO IT.

You can install ANY game you buy through steam on ANY pc and play it, so yes, you can let your friend borrow it. Your friend would just have to log in as you and then he could play it.....you couldn't be logged in at the same time, but he could still play it.

It's not as good as letting him borrow a game, but then again, paying for a game once and then distributing it out to others is pretty much pirating....so I have no problem with steam.

Rickymog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Rickymog
Member since 2004 • 35 Posts

[QUOTE="Rickymog"]

mudman91878

Used games have the same affect as pirating. DON'T DO IT.

You can install ANY game you buy through steam on ANY pc and play it, so yes, you can let your friend borrow it. Your friend would just have to log in as you and then he could play it.....you couldn't be logged in at the same time, but he could still play it.

It's not as good as letting him borrow a game, but then again, paying for a game once and then distributing it out to others is pretty much pirating....so I have no problem with steam.

Used games are the same as pirating? Now tell me why selling used books never hurt and no one complained about it? Isn't it the same?

BigGimp77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BigGimp77
Member since 2006 • 532 Posts
Steam is great when they have sales on games. Every weekend they have a new special on a game and it's usually a very good price. Steam is also good for indie games like Braid and Zeno Clash where you can't buy them in a retail package. However, if steam is at a similar price to a retail version I get of the game, I usually get the hard copy.
visceron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

#39 visceron
Member since 2005 • 2160 Posts

Retail can't compete with this or this.

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
[QUOTE="HenriH-42"]

[QUOTE="Rickymog"]

Agreed. I would never have found out some of the older games if it weren't for the used games market.

On the other hand, a point in favor of Steam is that once games are on there, they seem to -stay- there, unlike the physical copy / used games market. If Steam were around for titles like... say, System Shock 2, then we'd never have had all that trouble with the game going out of print and becoming tougher to find.
StrawberryHill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 StrawberryHill
Member since 2008 • 5321 Posts

HenriH-42

I'm the same way. There are some games that were only available via Steam for people in the USA, like Track Mania United, Zeno Clash and The Path...so I really like Steam for that.

Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

It depends. Most prefer steam because of no discs but there are also other services like Good old Games and Impulse. I personally use a combination of the store, steam, and GoG.

blade55555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44 blade55555
Member since 2005 • 1116 Posts

UnknownElement4
I prefer retail because I hate having to download big games... I hate waiting :P. But steam is nice in the sense that you can just redownload it and not worry about a cd key.