Is Steam Causing PC To Hang/Freeze on Startup?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kipsta77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 kipsta77
Member since 2012 • 1119 Posts

This problem has been on and off for a while now, and was happening with my last PC I had only a few months ago. Its very frustrating.

The PC boots up to desktop just fine but i can't launch any programs that use internet for the first minute after i can see desktop. The network icon with the blue circle also freezes, but if I wait about a minute, it will unfreeze when Steam is launched.

I have just done a fresh install, no overclock, no unnecessary things plugged in, my ssd has the latest firmware. I have windows 7 64-bit installed on a Intel 520 Series 240GB SSD, and have a spare 2TB wd green.

ANY help is much appreciated!!! This issue has been driving me up the wall for a long time!

(forgot to mention i also have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the network adapter, no luck)
It dosen't happen EVERY time, but pretty often)

I have disabled these SERVICES: Bluetooth Support Service Diskdefragmenter Homegroup Listener Homegroup Provider windows media player network sharing service

And only have few things on startup: Realtek HD Audio Manager HD Audio Background Process Logitech Gaming Framework (Keyboard & mouse software) Gamecom Sound (Headset software) Steam Client Intel USB 3.0 Monitor Delayed Launcher (from Intel, but i don't know exactly what it is) Kaspersky Antivirus

feverberries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 feverberries
Member since 2013 • 281 Posts

it could be Steam. i keep programs that run on start-up at very minimum for that same reason. Steam is definetly one that loads quite slowly. try disabling the auto-start from Steam settings and see if it makes any difference.

also anti-virus programs usually start pretty slowly. some of them atleast.

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 darksusperia
Member since 2004 • 6945 Posts
are you using dhcp? set your nic to manual and enter ip/sub/gateway/dns information. sounds like its waiting to be assigned its network info.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I think it is Steam. On my PC doing either a cold start or restart..... It takes about 50 seconds to get from the BIOS post screen, logging into Windows 7, and going to the desktop. I can open applets (eg Notepad) almost immediately but not apps that rely on the network such as Firefox and Steam. It takes another 30 seconds after the desktop comes up before Steam appears.

Now when I log off and log back in, Steam appears almost immediately (within a few seconds). 

Edit:

Since my den is the farthest room from where the router is, I'm forced to use WiFi.

kipsta77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kipsta77

are you using dhcp? set your nic to manual and enter ip/sub/gateway/dns information. sounds like its waiting to be assigned its network info.darksusperia

How do I do this?

feverberries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 feverberries
Member since 2013 • 281 Posts

are you using dhcp? set your nic to manual and enter ip/sub/gateway/dns information. sounds like its waiting to be assigned its network info.darksusperia

this simply can't be the issue. it doesn't take even a second to acquire this information from the router/modem, unless there's something else wrong.

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 darksusperia

[QUOTE="darksusperia"]are you using dhcp? set your nic to manual and enter ip/sub/gateway/dns information. sounds like its waiting to be assigned its network info.feverberries

this simply can't be the issue. it doesn't take even a second to acquire this information from the router/modem, unless there's something else wrong.

depends on the network. Its not steam. steam doesn't care whether you have a network connection or not
darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 darksusperia

[QUOTE="darksusperia"]are you using dhcp? set your nic to manual and enter ip/sub/gateway/dns information. sounds like its waiting to be assigned its network info.kipsta77

How do I do this?

control panel - network and sharing - change adapter settings - right click local area conn - properties - tcp/ipv4 - properties - set to use the following
FaustArp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FaustArp
Member since 2013 • 1036 Posts

I used to have this same problem, though it would not do it very often.

It stopped happening completely when I moved to Windows 8.

kipsta77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kipsta77

FaustArp

Yeah I had windows 8 for a week without problems, I'd have it though if I could turn off metro.

kipsta77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kipsta77

[QUOTE="kipsta77"]

[QUOTE="darksusperia"]are you using dhcp? set your nic to manual and enter ip/sub/gateway/dns information. sounds like its waiting to be assigned its network info.darksusperia

How do I do this?

control panel - network and sharing - change adapter settings - right click local area conn - properties - tcp/ipv4 - properties - set to use the following

Will try this. I'm not to knowledgable when it comes to networks, but this won't slow my internet speed will it?

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 darksusperia

[QUOTE="darksusperia"][QUOTE="kipsta77"]

How do I do this?

kipsta77

Will try this. I'm not to knowledgable when it comes to networks, but this won't slow my internet speed will it?

no.

go to start - type cmd into search - click on cmd.exe - type: ipconfig /all and take note of your ip address/subnet/gateway and DNS servers listed here under your network connection.

put that information into the fields from the above location. 

pawq4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 pawq4
Member since 2013 • 448 Posts

[QUOTE="FaustArp"]

kipsta77

Yeah I had windows 8 for a week without problems, I'd have it though if I could turn off metro.

You could always use classic shell.

kipsta77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kipsta77

Managed to fix the problem! Turns out it was Kaspersky. Took it off, installed Microsoft Security Essentials and all is good!

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Blistrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Blistrax
Member since 2008 • 1071 Posts

Steam is evil. Kill it.

MW2ismygame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MW2ismygame
Member since 2010 • 2188 Posts

I manually log in, ever since i started doing that my computer runs a bit faster on start up.Â