Is San Andreas worth buying now ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

anshul89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 anshul89
Member since 2006 • 5705 Posts
or has it aged ?
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Nope. Vice City and III are though.
vash47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 vash47
Member since 2007 • 2171 Posts
I loved San Andreas, I spent lots of time playing it, completing side missions and stuff, it's a very fun game, and I just played it last year, so definetely.
fatshodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 fatshodan
Member since 2008 • 2886 Posts

On PC, all the GTA games are worth buying. The original GTA has aged terribly (the gameplay more so than the graphics), but it's still worth owning for the radio stations if nothing else (it has all of the wit and styIe of the later games, but the music is very obscure and unique compared with more mainstream and recognisable stuff in later games).

But GTA2 is still incredibly polished and playable, is still an extremely beautiful 2D game, and is a hell of a lot of fun. And the radio alone still justifies the pricetag

I personally dislike GTA3, but GTA3, Vice City (especially Vice City) And San Andreas are all very worth buying.

I haven't played GTA4 but I've watched my landlord play some, and it is basically Vice City with better graphics, a more refined combat model, better AI, fat cops and more general refinement and polish.

If GTA4 appeals to you, you should get a lot of out of the entire GTA collection.

DiabeticDood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#5 DiabeticDood
Member since 2005 • 4331 Posts
I just got it for PC after playing it on the PS2.
fivex84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 fivex84
Member since 2006 • 1216 Posts
I got it a couple months ago at Wal Mart for $10. I was playing it on a regular basis but then 4 came out and I haven't touched.
c_doody_1999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 c_doody_1999
Member since 2005 • 533 Posts
dont get san andreas unless youv played gta 3 and vice city to death and are still hungry for more , cos apart from the jumpjet fighter, its the worst of the three by far.
artur79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 artur79
Member since 2005 • 4679 Posts

GTA 1 & 2 are free to download from Rockstar's site.

As for GTA 3 and Vice City. Seriously great games. SA is good too.

I'd play them all if I were you. GTA-pack doesn't cost all that much anyway.

anshul89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 anshul89
what about the mods ? are there any cool ones for SA ?
rombie1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 rombie1234
Member since 2007 • 50 Posts
You can grab San Andreas off of Wal-marts bargain section for 10 bucks. I say its worth it, even though its a somewhat mediocore game to me.
bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 bloodling
Member since 2006 • 5822 Posts
San Andreas has much better missions than VC and LC.
CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts
San Andreas is much better than Vice City and GTAIII so yes. Everyone has their own opinion on San Andreas though. So many people dislike it becauase of the "ghettoness" :roll:
A1B2C3CAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#13 A1B2C3CAL
Member since 2007 • 2332 Posts
Yes, I just picked it up and I was surprised how good the game is. I wrote a short review on it..it impressed me that much! :D
vash47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 vash47
Member since 2007 • 2171 Posts
San Andreas has tons of mod, just check the web, because here on gamespot you won't find any, there are websites which are only for GTA games modding.
Lowm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lowm
Member since 2008 • 64 Posts
Nope. Vice City and III are though.foxhound_fox
No, get San Andreas, it's much better.
solid_mario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 solid_mario
Member since 2005 • 3144 Posts

GTA 1 & 2 are free to download from Rockstar's site. artur79

Thanks a lot mate! I'll be playing them soon.
Taloskai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#17 Taloskai
Member since 2006 • 188 Posts
GTA 3 to me is the best becuase of the organized crime. Nothing was out of place and it was just spectacular.
fatshodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 fatshodan

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]Nope. Vice City and III are though.Lowm

It has much less coherence, a worse story and the culture is very much a matter if niche preference.

FreakGuy123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FreakGuy123
Member since 2008 • 108 Posts

Well GTA SA is my favorite GTA (I played GTA 1,2,3,VC,SA...that means all for the PC).

If you can get it buy it.

gamerguy845

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 gamerguy845
Member since 2007 • 2074 Posts

GTA 1 & 2 are free to download from Rockstar's site.

As for GTA 3 and Vice City. Seriously great games. SA is good too.

I'd play them all if I were you. GTA-pack doesn't cost all that much anyway.

artur79

free to download? wow, count me in

Lowm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Lowm
Member since 2008 • 64 Posts

[QUOTE="Lowm"][QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]Nope. Vice City and III are though.fatshodan

It has much less coherence, a worse story and the culture is very much a matter if niche preference.

It has a multiplayer mod that people actually play

http://www.game-monitor.com/?search=&type=server&location=all&game=sa-mp&x=28&y=21&num=30

Darth_Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Darth_Kane
Member since 2006 • 2966 Posts

Games never age, of course it's worth it

Vice City is IMO the best

fatshodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 fatshodan
[QUOTE="fatshodan"]

[QUOTE="Lowm"][QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]Nope. Vice City and III are though.Lowm

It has a multiplayer mod that people actually play

http://www.game-monitor.com/?search=&type=server&location=all&game=sa-mp&x=28&y=21&num=30

I know, but I don't factor mods in when evaluating a game's worth. Maybe I should, but I rarely use mods so I mostly compare original games onliy.

If you want multiplayer, SanAn is definitely the game to get, but GTA will always be a singleplayer game to me, even when GTA4 is out and running MP servers through Steam. I don't see me playing it online.

al-128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 al-128
Member since 2005 • 304 Posts
Well personally i would say get Vice City, but either way San Andreas is money well spent.
fatshodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 fatshodan

Games never age

Darth_Kane

I wouldn't agree with that. It's possible for a game to become so antiquated (relative to the current standard) that its worth as an experience becomes questionable. I recently tried to play Gauntlet (a game I consider one of the all-time greats) but it has been so, so far surpassed by games like Diablo 2 that it is not even worth playing for nostalgia's sake.

I think it's only fair to say games don't age as long as they aren't bettered. Like Doom II has not yet been topped as a slaughter-the-swarm game (though some may argue that Serious Sam trumps it, but they're, like, you know, like wrong, and stuff!), while many other games simply aren't worth playing any more because they are 1% of some games available today.

Huskerz09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Huskerz09
Member since 2006 • 148 Posts
I'd throw out a resounding no. After the whole Hot Coffee mess, R* pulled all existing copies of the game, then rereleased it......the "1.1" version (according to everything I've read) can not be modded in any way......
JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts

I think it's only fair to say games don't age as long as they aren't bettered. Like Doom II has not yet been topped as a slaughter-the-swarm game (though some may argue that Serious Sam trumps it, but they're, like, you know, like wrong, and stuff!)

fatshodan

Nuh-uuuhhh!

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#28 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

or has it aged ?anshul89

Whatever you do don't buy this game!! I don't know what the others are like other than number 2 (which is cool) but this is the most overrated game ever made. You will be sorely disappointed and will have wasted your money. There are just way too many things wrong with ol' San Andreas that people often overlook. If you want to know why then ask me or read my review okay?

fatshodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 fatshodan

[QUOTE="anshul89"]or has it aged ?biggest_loser

Whatever you do don't buy this game!! I don't know what the others are like other than number 2 (which is cool) but this is the most overrated game ever made. You will be sorely disappointed and will have wasted your money. There are just way too many things wrong with ol' San Andreas that people often overlook. If you want to know why then ask me or read my review okay?

I'm not going to say you're wrong, but you are definitely in the minority - so, statistically speaking, the chances of him liking it are probably greater than the chances of him not liking it. I'm not trying to suggest more popular means better, but it's just that statistically the odds are on our side.

Again, I am not saying yiou're wrong. But I'm sure ****ing thinking it!

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 biggest_loser
[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

[QUOTE="anshul89"]or has it aged ?fatshodan

I'm not going to say you're wrong, but you are definitely in the minority - so, statistically speaking, the chances of him liking it are probably greater than the chances of him not liking it. I'm not trying to suggest more popular means better, but it's just that statistically the odds are on our side.

Again, I am not saying yiou're wrong. But I'm sure ****ing thinking it!

That is fair enough and I see your point.

He is probably going to buy it regardless of what I say so only then shall we know really. He probably will like it like every other normal person.

EDIT: regardless of what you might be thinking sir my opinion is my own and cannot be wrong - each to their own.

fatshodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 fatshodan
[QUOTE="fatshodan"]

I think it's only fair to say games don't age as long as they aren't bettered. Like Doom II has not yet been topped as a slaughter-the-swarm game (though some may argue that Serious Sam trumps it, but they're, like, you know, like wrong, and stuff!)

JP_Russell

Nuh-uuuhhh!

Yuh-huh times infinity plus one!

Tuzolord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#32 Tuzolord
Member since 2007 • 1409 Posts
Im playing SA right now, other than some crashes I had its pretty good and still looks good. And theres tons of Fun Mods to play with.
dazza_avo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 dazza_avo
Member since 2006 • 1075 Posts
I really enjoyed San Andreas.
Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10538 Posts

dont get san andreas unless youv played gta 3 and vice city to death and are still hungry for more , cos apart from the jumpjet fighter, its the worst of the three by far.c_doody_1999

agree completely

pdkkbarnes1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 pdkkbarnes1
Member since 2003 • 391 Posts

I would say that they are all worth playing still

TargetDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TargetDog
Member since 2003 • 10076 Posts
San Andreas, in terms of gameplay, is most definitely an improvement over GTA3 and Vice City. Far more interesting mission structure, with a larger world and way more things to do. Takes a step forward in every direction. I guarantee most people here don't like it because of a negative first impression. When you start out it's pretty boring and drab, but the farther you get into it the better it gets.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 biggest_loser

San Andreas, in terms of gameplay, is most definitely an improvement over GTA3 and Vice City. Far more interesting mission structure, with a larger world and way more things to do. Takes a step forward in every direction. I guarantee most people here don't like it because of a negative first impression. When you start out it's pretty boring and drab, but the farther you get into it the better it gets. TargetDog

The further I got into it the worse it got for me. Those flying missions were diabolical

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#38 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
No, get San Andreas, it's much better.Lowm

Aside from the story, yes it is better... but the story is so terrible that it makes playing the game a chore if you want to unlock the new areas. The amount of stereotypical and racist typology is borderline offensive. I've never understood Rockstar's obsession with stereotypes.

Both III and Vice City have far superior storylines and rampage possibilities. You would think that since San Andreas is more open it would be better... but even through the several hundred hours that I put into the game I never once was able to replicate an adrenaline pumping chase like I experienced in III and Vice City. The lack of certain things like tire spikes in SA was a disappointment, they made avoiding cops in VC extremely difficult at times.

The best GTA is Vice City. It's got the most styIe, best story and most variety packed into a smaller more complete "package." San Andreas feels far too open and empty at times.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 biggest_loser

San Andreas feels far too open and empty at times.

foxhound_fox

True. The country parts in particular are so ridiculously padded with overlong driving segments.

I don't care about stereotypes really, I was more annoyed that the plot didn't make any sense and that characters disappeared for long stints at a time.

artur79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 artur79
Member since 2005 • 4679 Posts

[QUOTE="Lowm"]No, get San Andreas, it's much better.foxhound_fox

Aside from the story, yes it is better... but the story is so terrible that it makes playing the game a chore if you want to unlock the new areas. The amount of stereotypical and racist typology is borderline offensive. I've never understood Rockstar's obsession with stereotypes.

Both III and Vice City have far superior storylines and rampage possibilities. You would think that since San Andreas is more open it would be better... but even through the several hundred hours that I put into the game I never once was able to replicate an adrenaline pumping chase like I experienced in III and Vice City. The lack of certain things like tire spikes in SA was a disappointment, they made avoiding cops in VC extremely difficult at times.

The best GTA is Vice City. It's got the most styIe, best story and most variety packed into a smaller more complete "package." San Andreas feels far too open and empty at times.

+ Scarface and Miami Vice rule.

OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 OoSuperMarioO
Member since 2005 • 6539 Posts

Of course get San Andreas. San Andreas is pretty much what you make it out to be. If your very creative in terms of gameplay your going to enjoy San Andreas especially with the mods available. Visually it still looks great and plays great. I will recommend a gamepad however for overall a better experience.

Out of all the GTA's from 3 to San andreas I feel San Andreas has alot more to offer. There's no question about that there's just more to do and experience in San Andreas. From a story perspective I strongly feel Vice City is superior. All of the are marvelous so I recommend collecting all of them.

anshul89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 anshul89

Of course get San Andreas. San Andreas is pretty much what you make it out to be. If your very creative in terms of gameplay your going to enjoy San Andreas especially with the mods available. Visually it still looks great and plays great. I will recommend a gamepad however for overall a better experience.

Out of all the GTA's from 3 to San andreas I feel San Andreas has alot more to offer. There's no question about that there's just more to do and experience in San Andreas. From a story perspective I strongly feel Vice City is superior. All of the are marvelous so I recommend collecting all of them.

OoSuperMarioO
yeah thats the answer i was looking for :)
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 biggest_loser

Out of all the GTA's from 3 to San andreas I feel San Andreas has alot more to offer.

OoSuperMarioO

like what exactly? They added a lot of gimmicks.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#44 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
GTA: San Andreas is still a fun game. I played through it again not long ago. If you dont have it, then get it. You should be able to pick it up cheap and there is a lot of stuff to do and explore.
themovi3nut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 themovi3nut
Member since 2007 • 946 Posts
Yeah I am going to get it this week or next. Plus GTA3 and Vice City are both awesome to.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 biggest_loser

Yeah I am going to get it this week or next. Plus GTA3 and Vice City are both awesome to.themovi3nut

Nooo! I beg of you! Put the wallet down!! Don't get it! noooo!

mirautaj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 mirautaj
Member since 2006 • 365 Posts

what about the mods ? are there any cool ones for SA ?anshul89

http://www.sa-mp.com/

attirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 attirex
Member since 2007 • 2473 Posts

I loved this game up until a couple of things happened:

1) Because it's so easy to aim using PC controls, I had spent hours taking over all the gang territory, then at the end one of the missions, I got busted by the cops (or something), and lost all that territory. WTF?

2) The mission where you learn to fly a plane really ended it for me. The plane was impossible to control, so I stopped playing.

/shrug

spunkybob123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 spunkybob123
Member since 2005 • 50 Posts

SA is da bomb, "I" rekon he is the coolest character, modding cars is kool, and the HUGE map is fun..... and playing a black guy is heaps cool.

Also there were lots of additional things to do.

GTA4 is good, but there is just soooo much stuff missing from SA that made SA such a good game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee322a396e26
deactivated-5ee322a396e26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-5ee322a396e26
Member since 2005 • 2510 Posts

san andreas is definately worth having in your collection, besides there's no telling if or when we'll get gta4 on pc. the way everybodies treating the pc game scene now, i am very skeptical.