is PUBG the best mp fps shooter around

This topic is locked from further discussion.

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Poll is PUBG the best mp fps shooter around (40 votes)

hell yeah 15%
hell no 45%
no idea 35%
other 5%

the game seems to be, to use modern young people parlance, trending, it has sold over 10 million copies despite being early access, it passed dota and csgo on steam for most concurrent users.

so is it the best mp fps shooter around or just the latest thing everyone seems interested in at the moment

• 
BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#1  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17835 Posts

I still prefer Battlefield myself. It has been the greatest MP FPS since BF 1942.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

I voted "Hell No" even though I'm having a blast with the game since it still has issues here and there (Beta) and it's got a way to go to become a fluid good MP FPS shooter (although it's originally a third person shooter, not FPS).

Games like Titanfall, COD and Battlfield have the gunplay down pat, and remember Destiny 2 is coming.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

20 million more sales to go in ~10 months, if it gets close, then maybe, if not, it gets slaughtered.

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#4 SerOlmy
Member since 2003 • 2369 Posts

No, it runs like shit even on good hardware, is so full of bugs from the Arma engine plus a whole bunch of other bugs of it's own. The developers are the f***ing worst now that they have started banning people whenever a streamer gets their fee-fees hurt. Maybe in a couple years it might be playable, at present it is a mess both technically and due to the d-bags that are managing it.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FelipeInside

@SerOlmy said:

Maybe in a couple years it might be playable

My friends and I run it fine. There's the occasional bug or two but we can play each match without any major issues. Haven't come across something game breaking yet (there were a bit at the start months ago when lag was an issue)

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SerOlmy

@FelipeInside:

Frequent desynch leading to emptying entire clips into someone then getting 1-shotted half a second later is apparently a huge problem from what I have read. It tends to happen when the server has >50 people still active.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FelipeInside

@SerOlmy said:

@FelipeInside:

Frequent desynch leading to emptying entire clips into someone then getting 1-shotted half a second later is apparently a huge problem from what I have read. It tends to happen when the server has >50 people still active.

Is that recent or back when lag was the issue, because I remember that exact problem happening months ago but haven't had it since. They have improved the performance of the game a lot since then (optimization).

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

All of my friends play it so I bought it too so that we could have something to play together.

I wouldn't consider it as the best mp game right now but since launch till today you get 70-99 player matches instantly and that's something that even Arma 3 (which I consider far better) can't deal with.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

I don't like the game(even though I've never played it). Looks fun to mess around with friends, but the game looks janky and unpolished. Then again it's made by Bluehole and Tera runs like crap.

mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mastershake575
Member since 2007 • 8574 Posts

I wouldn't say its the best but its for sure the most fun multiplayer shooter i've played in a decade (mostly because majority of the people i have on steam bought it so we all do squad).

Irt map in O'm hoping they release the new desectober since that will be around the time I start slowing down with the old map (need something new after playing the same map for 5 straight months).

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#11 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

@SerOlmy said:

No, it runs like shit even on good hardware, is so full of bugs from the Arma engine plus a whole bunch of other bugs of it's own. The developers are the f***ing worst now that they have started banning people whenever a streamer gets their fee-fees hurt. Maybe in a couple years it might be playable, at present it is a mess both technically and due to the d-bags that are managing it.

it doesn't use the Arma engine, it uses Unreal Engine 4.

I've had a lot of fun playing it with friends, and it is my most played game of the year I believe. It has Arma-style gunplay which is something I personally really enjoy (in fact, I actually played the Arma 3 battle royale mod made by the same guy several years ago).

However, the amount of variables in each game can lead to uneven experiences, and the tension that makes it so fun initially starts to fade after a while and once this is gone, long stretches of many matches can be pretty boring as you try and get into the circle or sometimes you just don't run into anyone for long periods of time. Some of the most fun, exciting moments I've had all year have been in this game but also some of the most frustrating ones. Also, my bar for what constitutes a good match keeps going up, meaning 'good' matches have become increasingly rare.

For me, its not even the best MP FPS this year (Rising Storm 2 gets that honour). Its a great game for messing around with friends in though.

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#12 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts

A group of guys I used to work with, they were all in some form of military and have used most of these weapons in game. They really like it. They play a good 8+ hours a week and know exactly where they are on the map. I play with them a few times a month for a couple hours here and there. A fun group of guys to play with (most of the time we're screwing around, trying to find new ways to kill each other if we're having a bad run), but I'm not a big fan of the game. If I didn't know others playing it, I wouldn't bother with it.

Hopefully they have some new maps coming out, even the 30ish hours I've put into the game, the same map is getting boring.

Also, regardless of what others may say, we (group of guys I play with) still experience a lot of desynching issues. We'll see a guy duck behind a tree with not much else close by him and see him come out from cover and we unload only to hit nothing. The guy appears from a rock or another tree 10-15 yards away and catches us off guard.

The game has a ways to go before I'd consider it a game I could find enjoyable on a normal gaming basis. Right now, it's okay, but clearly still has issues/bugs.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BassMan

Yeah, the lack of polish is what keeps me from playing it more. They really need to work on the first person mode. The scale of the guns, animations, movement, etc.. It is early access and this is to be expected.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FelipeInside

@BassMan said:

Yeah, the lack of polish is what keeps me from playing it more. They really need to work on the first person mode. The scale of the guns, animations, movement, etc.. It is early access and this is to be expected.

First person mode is clunky because it's just the zoomed in camera locked for the entire server. It's not initially designed to be played as first person imo.

Third person works good though and it's a blast with friends. If you want a similar experience but with optimized first person view I recommend Escape from Tarkov.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BassMan

@FelipeInside: I don't like third person because you can cheat by peaking around corners and scan surroundings without making yourself vulnerable. I want a more immersive experience.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@BassMan said:

@FelipeInside: I don't like third person because you can cheat by peaking around corners and scan surroundings without making yourself vulnerable. I want a more immersive experience.

That can very easily be altered on the "hardcore" servers by limiting FOV when moving the camera to scan surroundings, or introducing some type of blur to limit visibility.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#17 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

@GTR12 said:
@BassMan said:

That can very easily be altered on the "hardcore" servers by limiting FOV when moving the camera to scan surroundings, or introducing some type of blur to limit visibility.

eh, I think the concept is better as a first-person only thing. It adds to the tension having to expose yourself to look around.

the FPS mode is still in a fairly early iteration so I'm sure it will improve (the weapon models look pretty wonky right now in particular).

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FelipeInside

@BassMan said:

Well that's how third person works, there's always the "peak around corner" thing happening.

I'm sure first person will get better as time goes by, but if you want an immersive experience like I said try Escape from Tarkov. That game nails the immersion perfectly.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BassMan

@FelipeInside: I may pick up Escape From Tarkov on full release if it gets good reviews.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

@BassMan said:

I still prefer Battlefield myself. It has been the greatest MP FPS since BF 1942.

I've been a Battlefield player since 1942 too. I've recently become really bored to the series, since it has become extremely stagnant. I probably only played about 10 hours of BF1.

PUBG is the new king imo. I really love the looting part too. But here's the thing; i don't think PUBG is gonna live very long, simply because someone will soon come and do a more epic version of the same concept. Bluehole is having huge problems fully realizing the potential of what PUBG has (sure, it's still in Early Access, so a little mercy here).

If you think about PUBG within it's own concept, it's actually REALLY shallow. It's just the concept itself that is really fun, and no one has done it better yet.

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts

@BassMan said:

I agree to an extent. My current fps games I play goes like this. Battlefield when I just want to hop in and have some fun. Squad when I want that serious, slow, high tension, high reward game. RO2/Rising storm 2 when I want something in the middle of those two games.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

The game has a long way to go until it can compete with actual FPS games.

schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts

@dxmcat: its already ahead of all of them..of course it is subjective which games are better

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SerOlmy

@schu:

Not really. It is buggy as hell, runs terribly even on high end hardware, has godawful net code, and since the devs made a fortune off it has seen little to no improvements or content additions in 6 months. It is objectively worse than quite a few recent shooters.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 FelipeInside

@SerOlmy said:

@schu:

it has seen little to no improvements or content additions in 6 months.

That is false mate. The engine has been improved a lot since I first played it months ago. They just added a new weather mode and new weapons. 4 new vehicles is around the corner and vaulting is on the next big update.

I get that you don't like the game but don't go spreading incorrect info either.

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SerOlmy

@FelipeInside:

No new map, still. A handful weapons/gear. All the new skins are from microtrans crates. Weather/fog are built into Unreal so that is like 5 minutes of work. Vehicles take no time to build since the tech is already in place for it, all you are doing is making new models. By any measure the game has been bereft of new content and optimization/bug fixes for months. Try again.

And it's not the game I don't like it's the developer. When you start catering to pissbaby streamer at the expense of everyone else you can go f*** yourself as far as I'm concerned.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By FelipeInside

@SerOlmy said:

@FelipeInside:

No new map, still. A handful weapons/gear. All the new skins are from microtrans crates. Weather/fog are built into Unreal so that is like 5 minutes of work. Vehicles take no time to build since the tech is already in place for it, all you are doing is making new models. By any measure the game has been bereft of new content and optimization/bug fixes for months. Try again.

A new map doesn't take overnight to build, you still have to test it and make sure it works in all areas (and they aren't small maps). Same with fog, vehicles, weapons etc. You seem to forget that this is an indie company with a few developers and by NO MEANS did they except to suddenly sell 10 million copies. They are doing what they can with what they have. I've seen other bigger indie developers work less on their games.

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SerOlmy

@FelipeInside:

I was going to type up a long post about how half of what you listed literally is something that can be done in 5 minutes (ie the weather, which is already built into Unreal) and why the map should be at least playable by now. But you know what, I ain't changing your mind. Fact is, in my view Bluehole is the worst type dev. They have already won the lottery in terms of return on investment and now they don't give a f*** what happens. PU may be different, but this banning people for "stream sniping" whether they can prove it or not really infuriates me. They wont get a dime of my money just for that reason alone.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By FelipeInside

@SerOlmy said:

@FelipeInside:

I was going to type up a long post about how half of what you listed literally is something that can be done in 5 minutes (ie the weather, which is already built into Unreal) and why the map should be at least playable by now. But you know what, I ain't changing your mind. Fact is, in my view Bluehole is the worst type dev. They have already won the lottery in terms of return on investment and now they don't give a f*** what happens. PU may be different, but this banning people for "stream sniping" whether they can prove it or not really infuriates me. They wont get a dime of my money just for that reason alone.

Look, I'm not saying the game is perfect, it's not. It needs a lot of work in lots of areas (first person shooting in a moving vehicle is basically impossible for example). I'm just saying they are working on the game (just follow their twitter account, their communication with players is constant). They even have a release date that they are working towards and trying to hit. Other games stay in Early Access for years without any updates.

Also "They wont get a dime of my money just for that reason alone.". Is that with PUBG? Are you saying you haven't played the game?

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SerOlmy

@FelipeInside:

Yes I have played it. EDIT - f*** it I can get the video imbeds to work on my iPad and I don't feel like turning my PC back on. Just assume it was clever and amusing.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BassMan

@SerOlmy: I don't give a shit about streamers, but if somebody is using a stream to get the location of another player to have an advantage, then they are cheating and deserve to be banned.

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SerOlmy

@BassMan:

Why? If you are dumb enough to broadcast your location in real time without obscuring your info or setting a delay in a competitive game like this I literally could give zero shits if someone uses that info to hunt you. Hell, in WoW it would broadcast the general location of any world PvP to the entire zone, I see little distinction here. You are advertising your location and status by your own actions, people can use that as they will.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BassMan

@SerOlmy said:

@BassMan:

Why? If you are dumb enough to broadcast your location in real time without obscuring your info or setting a delay in a competitive game like this I literally could give zero shits if someone uses that info to hunt you. Hell, in WoW it would broadcast the general location of any world PvP to the entire zone, I see little distinction here. You are advertising your location and status by your own actions, people can use that as they will.

That information is not being conveyed by the game. You are using an external tool (the stream) to gain an unfair advantage. It is cheating and not playing fair. There is no sense in trying to justify it.

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SerOlmy

@BassMan:

I really don't care about justifying it to you or anyone else. In my personal view if you broadcast your location in a game such as this, regardless of how, then you should expect to get ganked. These pissbaby streamers lose their shit every time they die due to being outplayed and start screaming stream sniper. This catering to an "elite" class of gamer that get special treatment and privileges at the expense of everyone else is beyond infuriating to me.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BassMan

@SerOlmy said:

@BassMan:

I really don't care about justifying it to you or anyone else. In my personal view if you broadcast your location in a game such as this, regardless of how, then you should expect to get ganked. These pissbaby streamers lose their shit every time they die due to being outplayed and start screaming stream sniper. This catering to an "elite" class of gamer that get special treatment and privileges at the expense of everyone else is beyond infuriating to me.

Are they really getting special treatment though? Cheating is cheating. They are just enforcing the rules. That Dr. Disrespect guy got banned for breaking them.

http://www.pcgamer.com/playerunknown-bans-popular-pubg-streamer-warns-that-words-have-consequences/

I don't know if it was a temporary ban or not, but the message was sent.

schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#36 schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts

@SerOlmy said:

@FelipeInside:

Honestly I think you're pretty freaking wrong. I watched the PUBG dev cycle and honestly they showed everyone how to do things right.

Here is the evidence:

https://pubg.gamepedia.com/Patch_Notes

I work in software and I can say following them and seeing the way in which they prioritize and address things has been exciting and many other software companies should take note.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#37  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34670 Posts

Wait.. they are banning people who use a morons stream that show his location? Wtf.. Fucking asshats. Tired of people knowing where you are? How about not fucking showing everyone? Jesus christ LOL. "But it's cheating!". Stfu..

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BassMan

@Litchie: You still make the choice to use that stream information to gain an unfair advantage. The same as making the choice to install hacks to give you an advantage. The stream is for entertainment purposes and not to be exploited. Is it acceptable to look at an opponent's screen in a LAN competition or in split screen mode? No.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Litchie

@BassMan: It's still whining about someone cheating after giving him the tools to cheat. There's not much I'd consider more ridiculous. Installing hacks shouldn't be compared to this in any way. Unless you create a hack, give it to a player and try to get him banned for using it.

PU wants money. People using streams to get an upper hand will result in less people streaming, which will result in PU getting less money. That's what the banning is really about.

If they cared about "cheating" for real, they'd ban people from streaming the game, not ban players for looking at another players stream that the player chose himself to make public.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 BassMan

@Litchie: Again, it is a choice to use those tools. Hacks are made available... If you choose to use them, you deserve to be banned. It is about the principle of fair competition.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Litchie

@BassMan: Absolutely, and I think it's a lame thing to do. I understand your reasoning, but I don't agree in this case. It's different when you yourself give someone a tool to cheat and complain that someone use it to cheat against you.

It just sounds ridiculous to me. It's unfortunate that people would do such a thing, but you can fix this problem you caused yourself by stop handing someone a cheating tool. Like I said, ban streaming for PUBG would be more fair to players, but money is more important for the dev and the ones getting money from streaming.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 FelipeInside

@Litchie said:

@BassMan: Absolutely, and I think it's a lame thing to do. I understand your reasoning, but I don't agree in this case. It's different when you yourself give someone a tool to cheat and complain that someone use it to cheat against you.

It just sounds ridiculous to me. It's unfortunate that people would do such a thing, but you can fix this problem you caused yourself by stop handing someone a cheating tool. Like I said, ban streaming for PUBG would be more fair to players, but money is more important for the dev and the ones getting money from streaming.

It was just a temporary ban because it went against the rules. Stop over-reacting.