Is Nvidia On Its Way Out?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

anybodykilla15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 anybodykilla15
Member since 2005 • 114 Posts

@ I know in the past NVidia was looked up as the pinnacle of pc gaming,

its high end graphics were out matched..........

but now I think they maybe in trouble.

1. They Didn't Bank In On A Contender For The Console Wars:

say what you will about consoles, but there is no denying the money that all of em will make,

considering amd has chips in all 3,

means that NVidia stands at a loss because of their stubbornness,

if only they had a custom graphics solution for either ps4 or xbox one,

I think they could've held their own, but that is not the case now, which brings me to ask a something....

2. Will Enthusiast Gamers Be Enough To Carry Nvidia?:

like I said, they set the standard,

but more and more games are going to be developed on amd technology, with factory standard features like Mantle,

I know NVidia has gsync, but would that be enough to stand against AMD's apparent monopoly?

and the pricing on these cards is enough to put some off a serious purchase,

the gap between the GTX TITAN and other cards was closed quickly, and cheaply as well with r9 290,

besides, nvidias hand in the portable market hasn't helped either because.....

3. That Most Handheld Devices Will Not Support Nvidia When Cheaper Alternatives Are Available.

Now I'm sure some of you remember when NVidia said they wouldn't need consoles to bring them revenue,

but the portable/handheld market could've been the worst mistake that NVidia has made thus far....

it may be a surprise to some that NVidia shield isn't tearing up charts,

at its price point and zero brand awareness beyond enthusiasts,

leaves it in the same space as ouya.....it is an anomaly confined to hobbyists that the public will struggle to understand.

and the rate that phones and tablets come out doesn't help either.

each device that supports tegra, price is instantly driven up,

but chances are you can get a better device in 6 months.

the new nexus 7 dropped the tegra 3,

in favour of Qualcom Snapdragon

is this a sign that maybe NVidia charge too much?

where is NVidia heading in the near future?

I know this is too early to call,

but their attitude with the "don't limit your options"

article really got me to thinking they where desperate.......

does any one else share these thoughts?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58900 Posts

I wasn't aware nvidia was doing bad.

Assimilat0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 Assimilat0r
Member since 2011 • 767 Posts

NVIDIA is like vital part of GLORIOUS PC MASTER RACE! AMD cant be part of any serious PC gamer.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

is this guy serious

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

145ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By 145ty
Member since 2005 • 564 Posts

nVidia is doing fine. Just because AMD has chips for all three consoles doesn't mean a whole lot. They only get paid around $100-110 per chip, if that, so the profit margin is probably pretty slim.

I would say as of now nVidia is in a better financial situation then AMD.

hopefully both companies are around for years to come though.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

I wouldn't say Nvidia is doing bad since it's got the best single GPU on the market the 780ti.

Got a good low budget GPUs too such as the 760

Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#8 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts

@wis3boi said:

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

@wis3boi said:

RevanBITW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RevanBITW
Member since 2013 • 739 Posts

AMD dominates the low-end and mid-range market and Nvidia dominates the enthusiast tier. And Nvidia could challenge AMD at the low-end and mid-range if only they would reduce their prices on the 760 and previous generation cards. But they don't. That tells me they know they're doing well enough as a whole that they don't need to chase the low-end and mid-range market. And about Nvidia Shield, who knows how much they've invested in it. It's obviously a very niche handheld and Nvidia treats it that way. I doubt they're losing much money on it. I'm guessing as they've been developping Tegra they decided ''hey, why not get the most out of it and sell our own Tegra devices?''. They can't be surprised that it's not destroying in terms of sales.

tl;dr this thread premises are dumb.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

I don't think so. G-Sync will probably have a big presence in the future, and their tablet processor business is huge.

I could see them focusing their GPU business almost entirely on the ultra enthusiast and APU business for a while, but technology is always moving forward and it won't be long before PC stuff will again blow away the console competition. Then I see them making another big push for the middle tier gamer.

145ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 145ty
Member since 2005 • 564 Posts

@RevanBITW:

AMD might dominate (kind of) the price performance at the low-mid range but definitely not the sales.

nVidia makes more money then the whole of AMD does.

RevanBITW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 RevanBITW
Member since 2013 • 739 Posts

@145ty said:

@RevanBITW:

AMD might dominate (kind of) the price performance at the low-mid range but definitely not the sales.

nVidia makes more money then the whole of AMD does.

Right.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#14 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

Will the sun rise tomorrow? According to David Hume. "I don't know." Obviously, none of us can predict the future. But if you look at their track record, I think they will be okay. They have been around this long and they have adapted, just like AMD, to different circumstances. They've made it through economic recession and they are still hammering their way through, competition from the likes of AMD and all. I'm sure they'll be okay. :)

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

@PredatorRules said:

I wouldn't say Nvidia is doing bad since it's got the best single GPU on the market the 780ti.

Got a good low budget GPUs too such as the 760

Heck GTX 760's are on par with normal 7970's and once overclocked to 1.1+ ghz it comes real close to 7970ghz GTX 680, and if you get it to 1.2ghz well then it trades blows with the 770.

It a great card for the price.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

i don't know what you're smoking, apparently its whatever rob ford is. Anyways, nvidia is in a much better position financially than AMD. They have alot of blind sheep followers who will pay out of their ass for inferior performance, always have and always will. None of their products dominate AMD in any segment, and usually their prices are significantly worse and their hardware much less featured, however they have excellent marketting skills and that helps them reap the profits.

REAL PC gamers would buy the best bang for buck cards, unfortunately we don't have alot of those out there. Only noobs buying nvidia.

AMD does supply the console manufacturers, but the profits are hardly worth getting excited over, their graphics cards have a much lower profit margin on them, their CPU's are also terrible. So if you're worried about nvidia, dont be. Be worried about AMD instead, I don't know how much longer they can last in their current situation. Hopefully, AMD uses this rare limelight chance to sell to a big company like Google, unfortunately they won't.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

i don't know what you're smoking, apparently its whatever rob ford is. Anyways, nvidia is in a much better position financially than AMD. They have alot of blind sheep followers who will pay out of their ass for inferior performance, always have and always will. None of their products dominate AMD in any segment, and usually their prices are significantly worse and their hardware much less featured, however they have excellent marketting skills and that helps them reap the profits.

REAL PC gamers would buy the best bang for buck cards, unfortunately we don't have alot of those out there. Only noobs buying nvidia.

AMD does supply the console manufacturers, but the profits are hardly worth getting excited over, their graphics cards have a much lower profit margin on them, their CPU's are also terrible. So if you're worried about nvidia, dont be. Be worried about AMD instead, I don't know how much longer they can last in their current situation. Hopefully, AMD uses this rare limelight chance to sell to a big company like Google, unfortunately they won't.

Considering that when it comes to using GPU's for cryptocurrency, AMD comes out on top, It's safe to say they're not going anywhere.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

For mining AMD is dumb, getting an asic computer is orders of magniturdes faster than what any gpu can do.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Please stop making new lines in the middle of a sentence

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#20 SerOlmy
Member since 2003 • 2369 Posts

One glance at the Steam hardware survey - http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/ should tell you all you need to know. nVidia controls way more market share in the GPU market and over the last 18 months they have been gaining while AMD is losing market share. Console APUs are like peanuts, you have to sell an ass-load of them just to make a profit because the margins are so slim. Combined with the fact that AMD is also losing market share in the CPU market to Intel, yeah nVidia is doing a lot better than AMD right now.

nVidia wasn't about to deal with all the crap they had to take form Sony making the PS3 hardware last gen. It was way more trouble than it was worth, especially considering the slow early adoption due to Sony's stupidity.