Is my hard drive defective?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SailorHiiragi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SailorHiiragi
Member since 2011 • 444 Posts

so my brother's Toshiba Satellite got hit with a virus, and started restarting itself. I put the reboot CD and select "recover to out of box state" and while it was recovering, bam-- I got an error message that read something along the lines of "error:" followed by a code number. I google the error code number and according to a bunch of links regarding this same error code, my hard drive is defective and needs to be replaced. so what does this sound like to you pc experts? is it indeed defective? or could there be something wrong with my reboot CD?

personally I'm leaning more toward a defective hard drive. I went as far as to opening the laptop and removing it's guts and parts and found no damage or unplugged hardware. any help would be appreciated.

also, if I go ahead and replace the hard drive with another compatable one, what are my chances of this solving the problem? I really hope it's not a motherboard problem and that the whole laptop is shot. :S

thanks.

yellonet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 yellonet
Member since 2004 • 7768 Posts

Test it using Seagate's Seatools, download here: http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools

shred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 shred
Member since 2003 • 268 Posts

Its possible the Master Boot Record of the hard drive may have got corrupted. If that is the case, it can be fixed without having to buy a new hard drive.

adam0926

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 adam0926
Member since 2006 • 5064 Posts

Could you better describe the virus you had? this is a known virus in its self.

I doubt your harddrive is defective, but you never know.

SailorHiiragi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SailorHiiragi

Its possible the Master Boot Record of the hard drive may have got corrupted. If that is the case, it can be fixed without having to buy a new hard drive.

shred
is that so? how?
SailorHiiragi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SailorHiiragi

Could you better describe the virus you had? this is a known virus in its self.

I doubt your harddrive is defective, but you never know.

adam0926

I don't know the type of virus I had exactly, but he was uhm... downloading some games... and right after that, the desktop items disappeared and we kept getting an "internet explorer" type error message and then it started restarting on its own. hope this helps.

shred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 shred
Member since 2003 • 268 Posts

[QUOTE="shred"]

SailorHiiragi

is that so? how?

http://forums.techarena.in/hardware-peripherals/1209233.htm

d-rtyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 d-rtyboy
Member since 2006 • 3178 Posts
Could you better describe the error message? Is it a blue screen? Or is it just a message window pop up? Can this laptop still boot into windows? Just judging from what you posted, I wouldn't jump to any conclusions just yet.