is Masquerade - Bloodlines really THAT good?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

thehippiejoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 thehippiejoe
Member since 2006 • 172 Posts
i've just heard so many things about it on this website, i wonder if i should get it
Avatar image for justheretodl124
justheretodl124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 justheretodl124
Member since 2005 • 1255 Posts
I've beat the game like 3 times and I still want to play again.
Avatar image for TheLegendKnight
TheLegendKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 TheLegendKnight
Member since 2007 • 1853 Posts
its good frp game but it may be boring if you are not frp fan
the_mad_madman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 the_mad_madman
Member since 2004 • 316 Posts

Depends on what you're looking for in a game. If you want fast frentic and fun combat, you'll hate Bloodlines. The combat is tolerable at best in this game and definently not very fun. But if you're like me; a sucker for good plots and excellent character interaction, then Bloodlines is the best game to have come out in years. The story is great and the npcs you'll meet through the game are some of the most interesting, well, ever. Delacroix, Smilling Jack, Nines, VV, Jeanette and Theresa, etc. The names go on and on. They really come to life because of the source engine facial expressions and the spot on voice acting combined with well written dialogue.

When it first came out the game was buggy as hell, which is part of the reason it sold so poorly. If anythings it's more well known now than it was when it first came out, which is a pity because it's already too late for the games developers. Troika went outta buisiness, so there'll never be a Bloodlines 2. Atleast not by the same people who made the first game.

Oh, and if you're thinking of buying the game, here's a tip for you. Alot of people make this mistake. There are two patches out there, the Official patch and the Unnoficial patches. To make the game as bug-free as possible, you're supposed to install BOTH of them. Alot of people think you just install one or the other! But nope, install em both.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#5 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

short answer: no

long answre: no it's not that good, it's a fine game mostly but bugs and performance issues along with combat bring it down. The user patch does a fairly good job with the game but it still will be more buggy than most games.

RazorGR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 RazorGR
Member since 2005 • 1605 Posts
Yes, it's that good. period.
Alaris83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Alaris83
Member since 2004 • 1620 Posts
I've played through it at least four times, so it must be pretty good. :P
waza000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 waza000
Member since 2005 • 1906 Posts

i downloaded that game very long time ago ... it's not a recent game at all

it is bugged, the RPG system is small and sucky

you have to do too much running around for nothing,

some stupid missions for keys or worthless actions to open doors ...

it's very poor in it's content, you could find a lot better now, or just even go back to Diablo 2

hoket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 hoket
Member since 2005 • 232 Posts
i have a question about bloodlines, whenever i try to feed on somebody my game locks up, the sound starts to loop and i have to alt tab out and ctrl+alt+del to close the game. anyone know whats going on? i have both the newest official patch, as well as the newest unofficial. running the game on the PC in my sig, except instead of an X2 4200+ im running it on a 3500+ at stock speeds (brothers PC)
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts
With fan made patches it's almost completely bug free right noiw and with modern hardware performance isn't a problem. In it's current state Bloodlines is by far the best RPG game in the last 5 years.
nightharvest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 nightharvest
Member since 2005 • 1782 Posts

I don't know what 'THAT' good means (It got mixed reviews) but my view is that it's a game for any collection.

8)

koza_76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 koza_76
Member since 2005 • 338 Posts

i downloaded that game very long time ago ... it's not a recent game at all

it is bugged, the RPG system is small and sucky

you have to do too much running around for nothing,

some stupid missions for keys or worthless actions to open doors ...

it's very poor in it's content, you could find a lot better now, or just even go back to Diablo 2

waza000

Are you sure you played Vampire: Bloodlines? I do not agree with any of your points at all. Mind you it's your opinion and your entitled to it.

Yeah it was kinda bugged but I never personaly had any problems with it. The RPG system is classic pen and paper Vampire from white wolf, it's not small and sucky, this isn't a hack and slash adventure RPG like diablo is with skill trees and such. You actualy Role Play a vampire, that can be intelligent, sophisticated, dark, decrepted, alone, bloodthirsty, powerful and whatever else you decide. Bloodlines is more an RPG than Diablo 1 or 2 will ever be.

Too much running around for nothing. hmmm, there is an element of mystery here. The game will challenge you to resolve mysterious quests by finding clues and using your own head. You might have to do some investigating, talk to people, look for signs type thing. If your stuck on a quest you'll probably be running around the streets for nothing.

Stupid missions for keys or worthless actions to open doors? Please elaborate I cannot recall a single moment in the game your refering too.

If anyone is seriously thinking of playing or purchasing this game, here is a link to a youtube video of one of the developers playing the game and showing the different elements of them. It elaborates on the character creation, combat, and dialogue systems. There are about 5 parts to the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON4LLlAnsP8

pcdebol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 pcdebol
Member since 2007 • 64 Posts
Yes its a good game if your into First person RPGs, I didn't have the bug problems mentioned by many people but that doesn't mean there not there. My system must just be very close to what they did stability testing on.
Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#14 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts
this games not for everyone. and it takes a lot to actually get "into" it, and if you never do, you'll just end up quitting.
ArcticSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ArcticSnake
Member since 2003 • 942 Posts

"Only a madman would fight a fire with an ax"

The game is well put together. It is possibly the only game on the market that does a good job on vampirism and all those other mythosese... mythosis.... the plural of mythos...

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58463 Posts

Stupid question, but...

Deus Ex is my all-time favorite game; combat, NPC interaction, plot, characters, skills, augmentations, etc. Would Bloodlines be a good game for me?

ArcticSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ArcticSnake

Stupid question, but...

Deus Ex is my all-time favorite game; combat, NPC interaction, plot, characters, skills, augmentations, etc. Would Bloodlines be a good game for me?

mrbojangles25

I say go for it. Vampire has down right amazing interaction (I freaking love the Malk dialogues), the characters are purely substance and style. They did a damn good job there too. Skills and augmentations... well... there are different schools of magic and there are skill points for just about everything you do (there are THREE different kinds of different interaction paths!) Combat is... bland..

Alkpaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 95

#18 Alkpaz
Member since 2005 • 2073 Posts

Stupid question, but...

mrbojangles25

Yes, I play both still :)

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mrbojangles25
[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

Stupid question, but...

ArcticSnake

I say go for it. Vampire has down right amazing interaction (I freaking love the Malk dialogues), the characters are purely substance and style. They did a damn good job there too. Skills and augmentations... well... there are different schools of magic and there are skill points for just about everything you do (there are THREE different kinds of different interaction paths!) Combat is... bland..

Is there a stealth mechanic in the game?

and if yes, how is it compared to Deus Ex? I loved sneaking around tasering people and putting 9mm bullets in the base of their skulls in Deus Ex, and I think sneaking around as a vampire and stabbing people would be totally awesome.

Sorry for the Deus Ex comparisons, but theyre the same genre.

ArcticSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ArcticSnake

Well of course there is sneaking and of course there are instant death moves with all the weapons. There is a whole stat tree dedicated to stealth and hacking and what have you. Though I never took that approach so I am sorry that I can't be more specific, I'm sure someone else would be able to tell you though.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mrbojangles25

Well then, time for me to go hunt this game down. I wonder if Fry's carries it still...

Flaky combat be damned if everything else is good about it.

NiteX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 NiteX
Member since 2003 • 1810 Posts
I never had performance problems with the game but it did have bugs. Putting that aside its one of the best PC RPG games ever created. SO yeah, its really THAT good. You can pretty much compare the story to a Bioware game. Like the quality.
the_mad_madman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 the_mad_madman
Member since 2004 • 316 Posts

and if yes, how is it compared to Deus Ex? I loved sneaking around tasering people and putting 9mm bullets in the base of their skulls in Deus Ex, and I think sneaking around as a vampire and stabbing people would be totally awesome.

mrbojangles25

Yep, there's a fully implemented and fairly decent stealth system in the game as well as sneak kills that one shot opponents. Actually some of those stealth kill animations are great, since it's different for every melee weapon. Also some clans (type of vampire you can pick at beggining of game, and surprisingly, what clan you pick can make a huge difference, anyway, some clans have an ability named obfuscate which lets you before invisible for a certain length of time so long as you dont touch anyone or interact with the environment, so you can use it to sneak behind some, do a stealth kill, then re-obfuscate to your next opponent.

If you liked Deus Ex, you'll probably love Bloodlines, there are alot of similarities. I'm a huge fan of System Shock 2 and Deus Ex myself and I'd say Bloodlines stands tall next to those classics, atleast when it comes to plot and dialogue.

Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts

i hate how the game doesn't have a demo....that's just ridiculous.....

without a demo there's no way to be sure how that game actually is.....a lot, and i mean ALOT, of the people are bragging about how Morrowind has a "deep rpg system" and an"exciting plot".....and when i think of these comments it's very hard for me to decide just how a good is just by listening to the players..... :?

Avatar image for imthelumberjack
imthelumberjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 imthelumberjack
Member since 2005 • 1280 Posts

The best part of the game is how many different ways you can complete objectives. It is also refreshing to play a game that doesn't lay out all the quests for you in a simple go here do this style. There is a lot of thinking the goes into how to complete missions (especially if you specialize in hacking or lockpicking) so it can played differently everytime you play it.

One of those games that makes you proud to be a PC gamer.

gspasuuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 gspasuuna
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

Well, Morrowind IS extremely deep and HAS a great plot. I don't mean to disrespect anyone, but you can almost certainly buy either Morrowind or Vampire: Bloodlines for $10 nowadays. Certainly you can download them for $20. $20 is approximately five Jamba Juices or lattes. Even if the games completely suck for you, you'd get more enjoyment from either of them than five beverages. And either game would last longer. So, no, I don't think that every game needs a demo. Make an investment- budget your money- and you'll almost certainly gets dozens, if not hundreds, of hours of entertainment from either one of these amazing games. I liked Morrowind so much that I beat it, uninstalled it, sold the software at a garage sale, and then years later bought it again. I still have Vampire: Bloodlines on my hard drive after, what, three years?

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts
[QUOTE="ArcticSnake"][QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

Stupid question, but...

mrbojangles25

there is stealth, better than the one in DX

And DX is quite diffrent. I mean... while DX is FPS with RPG elements, vampire is RPG with FPS elements. They focus on diffrent things. But if you liked dx you wil like Bloodlines

Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts

Well, Morrowind IS extremely deep and HAS a great plot. I don't mean to disrespect anyone, but you can almost certainly buy either Morrowind or Vampire: Bloodlines for $10 nowadays. Certainly you can download them for $20. $20 is approximately five Jamba Juices or lattes. Even if the games completely suck for you, you'd get more enjoyment from either of them than five beverages. And either game would last longer. So, no, I don't think that every game needs a demo. Make an investment- budget your money- and you'll almost certainly gets dozens, if not hundreds, of hours of entertainment from either one of these amazing games. I liked Morrowind so much that I beat it, uninstalled it, sold the software at a garage sale, and then years later bought it again. I still have Vampire: Bloodlines on my hard drive after, what, three years?

gspasuuna

nah.....it's fine if you think so, i have no problem with that. but i know that's not the fact.

and it's not about the money. i just don't want to go through that emotional upheaval again.