Is it worth to start playing WoW now?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

Hi guys. On my local video game store, they're making a special discount on all WoW expansions in order to "celebrate" the launch of Mists of Pandaria. Therefore: WoW + TBC + WotLK + Cata = 20. It's really cheap. My question is, will WoW still last? Because I don't want to be paying for a MMO that will last 1 year or such... I want to play WoW for more 3-4 years.

I've played WoW in private servers since TBC. But Blizzard is the real thing.

jakes456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 jakes456
Member since 2011 • 1398 Posts

WoW is going to last another 10 years, but that doesn't mean the game is good anymore.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

WoW is going to last another 10 years, but that doesn't mean the game is good anymore.

jakes456
He forgot to add "...for the people that played it for thousands of hours since or close to release". It's worth it, if you're interested it's best to get it before 24, since MoP hits on the 25th.
SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#4 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

It's always a good time to start playing again, especially now that MoP is releasing on 25th. Don't worry, WoW will last for many more years.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

yes.

MythPro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 MythPro1
Member since 2003 • 2746 Posts
Get Guild Wars 2 instead. It's fun. New. Interesting. Entertaining. And it's not going to cost you $15 every time you want to go back to it!
WaterSphere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 WaterSphere
Member since 2012 • 203 Posts
Something like WoW will definitely indeed last for a very long time.
Avatar image for deactivated-662c11bd61009
deactivated-662c11bd61009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-662c11bd61009
Member since 2008 • 111 Posts

Guild Wars 2 suffers from one problem and that would be lack of content at the max level but of course that will change with time and it's still only a 1 time payment. This isn't a GW2 thread though.

With the knew expansion close to release it's the perfect time to start playing, everything is reset again so to say, everyone on equal footing.

HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 HyperWarlock
Member since 2011 • 3295 Posts

Great time, especially since the new race will be free and you won't need MoP to play it.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#10 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

Entirely up to you. In terms of technicality, most MMOs are well ahead of it but in terms of atmosphere and gameplay it's still by far the best on the market. Plus, they're about to release a brand new expansion pack so there's plenty of reason to get started.

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
It was never worth it to start, IMO. I do have a social life outside of video games, however. To each their own.
-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#12 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

Nah, get Door Wars 2.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
Ah I see you're interested in playing a retro game. Yeah it was a good game but right now it's barely average, the only thing it has going for it now is 6 years of stability and polish and you can download the entire game for free from Blizzards site, i think you have to sign in to do it though but registration is free so don't buy them, you'll only end up downloading the entire game again due to patches.
Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#14 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts

Hmmm, at the beginning you will enjoy it and a lot. Despite being quite old the game still has some beautiful paronamas, thanks to Blizzard great art design. Plus the game is fun.

What annoys people is the fact that after you hit lvl 85 (currently in Cataclysm) it becomes a mindless grinding. Do heroics, then raids till the next patch or do BGs, then Arenas and Rated BGs or make a new toon for hit 90 again or do the achievements.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DanielDust

The things people say, I wonder if it had any logic in his head when he formulated those ideas.

As for what Miroku said, grinding, it's not exactly as you say, with MoP you have scenarios which give you dungeon rewards, you can simply call them "GW 2 dynamic events", also pet battles, it'll bring a lot more things to do outside dungeons, raids and pvp.

PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts
I've played WoW in private servers since TBC. But Blizzard is the real thing.Ricardomz
Shame you didn't find that out until now. For me personally the game was great until about a year or 2 ago when a lot of servers (the ones I had chars on at least) started dying, entire communities vanished, and I lost interest in the game aswell. You can still have a lot of fun I bet, but you really shot yourself in the foot by playing on a private server while WoW was in the prime of it's life.
Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#17 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts

The things people say, I wonder if it had any logic in his head when he formulated those ideas.

As for what Miroku said, grinding, it's not exactly as you say, with MoP you have scenarios which give you dungeon rewards, you can simply call them "GW 2 dynamic events", also pet battles, it'll bring a lot more things to do outside dungeons, raids and pvp.

DanielDust
Dunno about MoP but currently on Cata that's what you do. Gonna edit my post though.
MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

Coming from someone who got into Wow around the time Cataclysm released, I'd say no.

I say this because virtually all of the content before the latest expansion, in this case Cataclysm, is no longer being done. Which means you will be missing out on the Raids from vanilla, TbC, WotlK, and it will be an insanely long time before you are geared enough to raid Cataclysm. In my experience of course. By no means what I am saying is the absolute truth, I am merely saying what happened with my ~4-5 months with the game. The dungeons are rather... dull after so many times of repetitively running them, and I never got the chance to do some of the funner, higher level/difficulty content.

However, every server is different and your time with WoW may be significantly different than mine was. If you are curious, by all means go for it. Be prepared for a decently long learnnig curve of how everything works, and get ready to be booted from many a dungeon run for inexperience.

Growing pains of course. But the game was indeed a good time for how long I played.

It's all up to you at the end of the day.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
[QUOTE="jakes456"]

DanielDust
He forgot to add "...for the people that played it for thousands of hours since or close to release". It's worth it, if you're interested it's best to get it before 24, since MoP hits on the 25th.

wouldn't logic dictate that it's better to wait for the expansion to come out?
Priapus101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Priapus101
Member since 2010 • 190 Posts

Coming from someone who got into Wow around the time Cataclysm released, I'd say no.

I say this because virtually all of the content before the latest expansion, in this case Cataclysm, is no longer being done. Which means you will be missing out on the Raids from vanilla, TbC, WotlK, and it will be an insanely long time before you are geared enough to raid Cataclysm. In my experience of course. By no means what I am saying is the absolute truth, I am merely saying what happened with my ~4-5 months with the game. The dungeons are rather... dull after so many times of repetitively running them, and I never got the chance to do some of the funner, higher level/difficulty content.

However, every server is different and your time with WoW may be significantly different than mine was. If you are curious, by all means go for it. Be prepared for a decently long learnnig curve of how everything works, and get ready to be booted from many a dungeon run for inexperience.

Growing pains of course. But the game was indeed a good time for how long I played.

It's all up to you at the end of the day.

MLBknights58

I remember while playing WotLK people would form raid pugs and complete older raids for achievements, chance of rare mounts and to have fun.These raid pugs typically occurred on weekends if your realm and faction were reasonably active.Heck my mate and I farmed specific bosses in ZG for rare mounts and Onyxia for easy gold.

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts
I hope you have a fast enough net connection for downloading all the patches. My average speed is 60 kB/s and I have no idea how long it would take to finish downloading. Probably forever :(
Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

I gave up on WoW, Blizzard just seems lazy now and days.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DanielDust

[QUOTE="DanielDust"][QUOTE="jakes456"]

BrunoBRS

Downloading patches and stuff, it'll be hard not having problems getting them when MoP releases, since going Cataclysm -> MoP will bring a complete optimization of every file which takes time and it'll also need another 6-7 gb to download (that's only going from a completely updated WoW to 5.0.4, a fresh install probably needs another 4-5 besides those 6-7, unless on b.net they already changed the Cataclysm installer with MoP).

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

It's always a good time to start playing again, especially now that MoP is releasing on 25th. Don't worry, WoW will last for many more years.

SovietsUnited

the problem is that with each passing year the activity of reaching level cap gets ahrder. how long was it to get to 85 on your 1st try..??? a couple months?

Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#25 Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts

Of course, there are plenty of players that have just started playing and new ones joining all the time. I recently took advantage of the sale myself and what I like about is that there is always something to do (questing, dungeons, pvp), from the moment I log-in there is always something that I can do and there are plenty of options to mix it up if I get bored. Plus the massive amount of content that you get with the three expansion and MoP coming next week.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="DanielDust"] He forgot to add "...for the people that played it for thousands of hours since or close to release". It's worth it, if you're interested it's best to get it before 24, since MoP hits on the 25th.DanielDust

Downloading patches and stuff, it'll be hard not having problems getting them when MoP releases, since going Cataclysm -> MoP will bring a complete optimization of every file which takes time and it'll also need another 6-7 gb to download (that's only going from a completely updated WoW to 5.0.4, a fresh install probably needs another 4-5 besides those 6-7, unless on b.net they already changed the Cataclysm installer with MoP).

But wouldn't the installer have the latest files, thus sparing him the 7GB MoP update once the expansion came out? It sounds very backwards that, from what you said, he'd have to install vanilla and then patch in the expansions/update the same files multiple times instead of downloading the latest files from the beginning.
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

Isn't WoW free up to the first 20 levels? Download it and give it a try. You'll only be committed to some time and not any money.

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#28 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

[QUOTE="SovietsUnited"]

ionusX

the problem is that with each passing year the activity of reaching level cap gets ahrder. how long was it to get to 85 on your 1st try..??? a couple months?

It took me a lot of time, months indeed, but that was a whole different era of WoW. Leveling got quicker since TBC, and since Cata quests are as easy and enjoyable as they can get. A lot of people also use dungeon finder to level: Guaranteed blues for leveling and a huge amount of experience. Guilds also provide a 5-10% exp bonus, depending on the guild lvl. That's with the first playthrough in mind...

It depends on the play time of course. These days if you play for long periods of time you'll get to max lvl pretty quickly.

During vanilla it did take months because of the slower leveling rate and an all out shortage of info; sites like Thottbot and Wowhead / Allakhazam were in their infancy, and so you needed to find the objectives on your own, or ask on general chat with a high chance of getting trolled.

Ever since addons like QuestHelper and ultimately the official Blizzard map feature (which came with WotLK) gave you the info on exact location you needed to be for each quest, as well as the removal of many world elites, leveling is pretty quick and easy these days.

After hitting 80, 85 etc. just buy heirloom items which scale attributes with your level, and give you a boost of 10% exp gained per heirloom.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DanielDust

[QUOTE="DanielDust"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] wouldn't logic dictate that it's better to wait for the expansion to come out?BrunoBRS

But wouldn't the installer have the latest files, thus sparing him the 7GB MoP update once the expansion came out? It sounds very backwards that, from what you said, he'd have to install vanilla and then patch in the expansions/update the same files multiple times instead of downloading the latest files from the beginning.

Doesn't work like that, he only has to install Cataclysm (which is 4.0.3a iirc) and for now he did not mention any MoP, just the previous expansions, or he downloads the latest installer from b.net, which, if they didn't update to MoP and they never did it so soon but who knows, is the same thing he will install from the Cataclysm disc + those quite a few gigs of patches + the major 5.0 patch which is MoP.

What I said in my previous post was regarding a freshly installed Cataclysm copy, nothing more, nothing less, there is no indication of vanilla or any other expansion, not a trace of it.

If he'd plan on getting MoP, then a fresh install would only need another 300-400mb or so.

Cordliss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Cordliss
Member since 2011 • 118 Posts

Is it worth it to start playing? Yes, with the talent system revamp and the expansion releasing soon I would say now would be the best time to get into it. With each new expansion old players return and guilds reorganize making it even easier to get into guilds since people are recruiting like crazy.

Ghost_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 Ghost_702
Member since 2006 • 7405 Posts
No offense, but I seriously hate when someone says they don't want to start something when it will only be good for a certain amount of time. If you want to try or do something then go and do it. Why does it matter if it will only last less than a year? You'll be missing out on playing the most successful MMO of all time, and one of the greatest games of all time. It's like waiting until right now to buy your first Playstation One. Don't buy it when it's cheap, buy it when you want it and will enjoy it. By god.
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ionusX

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

[QUOTE="SovietsUnited"]

jakes456

clueless scrub. takes no time to get to 85. Each expansion they nerf quests.

jake post.. mandatory derp

jakes456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 jakes456
Member since 2011 • 1398 Posts

[QUOTE="jakes456"]

[QUOTE="ionusX"] the problem is that with each passing year the activity of reaching level cap gets ahrder. how long was it to get to 85 on your 1st try..??? a couple months?

ionusX

lol k you've been called out on being bad at WoW b4. stick to anime nublet.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ionusX

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

[QUOTE="jakes456"]

jakes456

lol k you've been called out on being bad at WoW b4. stick to anime nublet.

and we have all called you out on being incompetent a myriad of times before. stick to not posting on gamespot nublet

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#37 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

Guild Wars 2 suffers from one problem and that would be lack of content at the max level but of course that will change with time and it's still only a 1 time payment. This isn't a GW2 thread though.

With the knew expansion close to release it's the perfect time to start playing, everything is reset again so to say, everyone on equal footing.

ArcticBadger
It was never worth it to start, IMO. I do have a social life outside of video games, however. To each their own.SKaREO
So then you're just trolling as usual then. Move along. OP. You can always get into WoW, as you can solo your way through the game. Just know is full of elitist, in fact I think this game invented the MMO elitist as we know it today. I find the community sucks big time and is not newb friendly at all, if you want to get into an MMO GW2 is still pretty fresh, I recommend it. No monthly fee either.
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#39 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
WOW will be around for a long time to come.. the question you have to ask yourself is how often will you have time to play? If you have lots of time then the money fee might be worth it.. if you only have time to play once in a blue moon then the monthly fee might not be worth it.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#40 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58485 Posts

Blizzard games have incredible staying power when it coems to player communities, in addition to extensive support from the developer. So I would not worry about the game "dying" any time in the next decade. People still play the crap out of Starcraft, Diablo 2, and Warcraft 3 and those games have a fraction of the community WoW has had (not to say their communities were, or are, small).

For 20 bucks, plus a free month, you are getting a near-infinite amount of gameplay, so I say go for it. WoW is an excellent game, and it gave me 6+ years of enjoyment.

Others will tell you to buy Guild Wars 2 or other MMOs, and that is all fine and good, but WoW is a good game, especially if its your first MMO. I look forward to going back and playing it when Mists of Pandaria come out.

yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
how did i know there would be fighting in this thread too?
Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts
how did i know there would be fighting in this thread too?yellosnolvr
You said the exact same thing in SW, Is this how you up your post count? GTFO
Mauro_Rosati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#43 Mauro_Rosati
Member since 2002 • 1070 Posts

[QUOTE="jakes456"]

DanielDust

Exactly this. It's normal being bored if you play a game for so many years. But as DanielDust has told you get it, especially if you've never played it, it's a beautiful world to explore.

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

[QUOTE="yellosnolvr"]how did i know there would be fighting in this thread too?Advid-Gamer

...?

Da fuq? Totally reasonable reaction.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#45 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts
Others will tell you to buy Guild Wars 2 or other MMOs, and that is all fine and good, but WoW is a good game, especially if its your first MMO. I look forward to going back and playing it when Mists of Pandaria come out.mrbojangles25
WoW will be around in some form for the next 10 years, look at UO. Doesn't mean it is the best recommendation for someone wanting to start fresh in an MMO they have never stepped in. Esp when there is a brand new MMO out there that is being enjoyed by the masses and is not a month old. So I think your "especially if its your first MMO" should be given to GW2. WoW is no longer that game. Sorry, but there's a new kid on the block.
yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts

[QUOTE="yellosnolvr"]how did i know there would be fighting in this thread too?Advid-Gamer

because i went in 2 consecutive threads to post my opinion, and there is fighting. mind you, this is probably the first two times i've ever said such a thing. how dare you be mean to me :cry:

in other news, why would i want to just up my post count? after so many years the novelty fades away pretty quickly.

edit: the funniest part of all of this is that you took a hostile approach with that message, further justifying my initial post's reaction to this forum's bad habit of fighting for no reason. anyways, done here.

on topic: its always worth it to start playing as long as you're fine with the subscription fees and you actually enjoy the game. play the trial, play around with some of the classes, and form your opinion of the game. :)