id_mew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 id_mew
Member since 2007 • 608 Posts

Hi, I need help deciding whether it's worth to upgrade my CPU to an intel skylake i7-6700k.

Currently I'm running a I7-3770K with a GTX 980 and a 1440p monitor.

I'm able to run almost everything on max settings but with AA turned down.

I use my computer primarily for gaming.

Do you think I'll see any performance gain from upgrading my CPU?

Or should I just wait until Nvidia to releases Pascal and upgrade my GPU?

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Moving this to hardware discussion

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts

There is no point in upgrading i7 3770k to 6700k, especially when you have the ability to get that cpu to 4ghz. Stock vs stock i7 3770k handles Titan X as well as i7 4790k.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127525 Posts

If you had Sandy Bridge then I would have said yes... But really the only big upgrade in CPU for you is to switch to X99 platform.

id_mew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 id_mew

Ok, thanks for the replies guys, just gonna hold on and just upgrade my Gpu when Pascals comes out

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts
@id_mew said:

Ok, thanks for the replies guys, just gonna hold on and just upgrade my Gpu when Pascals comes out

The best thing you should do.

Also in the next year, there is a leaked information that Intel's non-extreme platform will be 4-6-8 cores.

So, waiting 1,5 year for cheap 8 core CPUs, wouldn't be bad...

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#7  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17859 Posts

If you mainly use it for gaming, the only reasons to upgrade CPU is if it is bottle-necking your GPU or if a game is heavily CPU bound like a crazy strategy game or something. I have the 3770K as well and a 980 Ti. No issues other than occasional areas in unoptimized games (Crysis 3, Far Cry 4). OC that bitch. She is still going strong.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 horgen  Moderator

I don't know Coseniath... Given that Broadwell E means a 10 core addition at 1500$ instead of the 5930K replacement getting 8 cores.

@Coseniath said:
@id_mew said:

The best thing you should do.

Also in the next year, there is a leaked information that Intel's non-extreme platform will be 4-6-8 cores.

So, waiting 1,5 year for cheap 8 core CPUs, wouldn't be bad...

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Coseniath

@horgen: Broadwell-E will come this year. So 10 core CPUs this year.

When 115x socket will have 8 core (est 2017), Extreme platform will have at least 12 core CPU.

And if AMD's Zen will be successful we might even see 16 core Extreme CPU in the same year.

So having a $300-400 8 core CPU for the non-extreme platform seems reasonable for me.

And since we already have the leak from Intel engineer in LinkedIn...

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 horgen  Moderator

And this makes me wonder if I should jump up to Skylake-E or keep being on the 115X platform...

@Coseniath said:

@horgen: Broadwell-E will come this year. So 10 core CPUs this year.

When 115x socket will have 8 core (est 2017), Extreme platform will have at least 12 core CPU.

And if AMD's Zen will be successful we might even see 16 core Extreme CPU in the same year.

So having a $300-400 8 core CPU for the non-extreme platform seems reasonable for me.

And since we already have the leak from Intel engineer in LinkedIn...

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Coseniath

@horgen: This is a good question.

I think the answer is DX12. Will DX12 use the extra brute force of a more than 8 core CPU?

So we need DX12 games to use more than 8 cores in 1-2 years...

Meanwhile Broadwell Xeons will have up to 22-24 cores....

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 horgen  Moderator

Not right away I think, but in a year or two. For me it is also tempting with the increased amount of PCI-e lanes.

@Coseniath said:

@horgen: This is a good question.

I think the answer is DX12. Will DX12 use the extra brute force of a more than 8 core CPU?

So we need DX12 games to use more than 8 cores in 1-2 years...

Meanwhile Broadwell Xeons will have up to 22-24 cores....

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Coseniath
@horgen said:

Not right away I think, but in a year or two. For me it is also tempting with the increased amount of PCI-e lanes.

Well, more PCI-e lanes are nice if you go for multiple GPU configurations.

Especially for next gen GPUs that will probably benefit more from more bandwidth.

But at 2017 there is also a strong possibility that we will have PCIE 4.0... :P

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

Wait for Pascal and don't get anything but top GPU of the series - single 980 is a beastly GPU, you can SLI it but it's not worth the money. (it'll be cheaper though)

id_mew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 id_mew

@PredatorRules said:

Wait for Pascal and don't get anything but top GPU of the series - single 980 is a beastly GPU, you can SLI it but it's not worth the money. (it'll be cheaper though)

Yeah that's my plan for now.

I overclocked my CPU to 4.1 mhz, and I'll hold off for maybe another year to upgrade my CPU.

joseph_mach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 joseph_mach
Member since 2003 • 3898 Posts

@horgen said:

If you had Sandy Bridge then I would have said yes... But really the only big upgrade in CPU for you is to switch to X99 platform.

That was the boat I was in. I had my Sandy for years (i5 2500k). She (yup, she was a girl) was the little engine that could as I had her OC'd anywhere between 4.5 - 4.8 GHz and there wasn't anything she couldn't handle. But I finally pulled the trigger and went with the i7 6700k. I'm happy I did, but more so because of the newer features I get going with the new mobo/chipset. Between the new cpu and mobo, I feel pretty comfortable knowing that I've got a fresh new set of years before I have to upgrade again. Especially as I'm planning on adding a second 980 Ti here in the next week or so. =D

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 horgen  Moderator

I want to SLI as well, but I am getting PS4 and possible upgrading to Skylake-E later this year... so single GPU for me still. Until Pascal or Volta comes along. Luckily my backlog is already big enough to keep me occupied until Volta releases I think.

@joseph_mach said:
@horgen said:

That was the boat I was in. I had my Sandy for years (i5 2500k). She (yup, she was a girl) was the little engine that could as I had her OC'd anywhere between 4.5 - 4.8 GHz and there wasn't anything she couldn't handle. But I finally pulled the trigger and went with the i7 6700k. I'm happy I did, but more so because of the newer features I get going with the new mobo/chipset. Between the new cpu and mobo, I feel pretty comfortable knowing that I've got a fresh new set of years before I have to upgrade again. Especially as I'm planning on adding a second 980 Ti here in the next week or so. =D

joseph_mach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 joseph_mach
Member since 2003 • 3898 Posts

@horgen said:

I want to SLI as well, but I am getting PS4 and possible upgrading to Skylake-E later this year... so single GPU for me still. Until Pascal or Volta comes along. Luckily my backlog is already big enough to keep me occupied until Volta releases I think.

@joseph_mach said:
@horgen said:

That's cool. My PS4 has just kind of been sitting here as of late. Oddly enough, the game I've been playing most on it is Diablo 3. I'm waiting for Uncharted 4, Hellblade, and hopefully Dragon Quest 11. But I want to SLI for VR. I think my rig is just about ready to run VR for the first (and hopefully second) generation of VR games without a hitch.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By horgen  Moderator

@joseph_mach:Yeah, Uncharted 4 is on my list of games to play. Last of Us remastered and the Uncharted trilogy.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

At this point I'd say it's probably not time to upgrade. Not worth considering the 6700k over the 6600k for gaming either.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

At that resolution you are gpu bottle necked, not cpu bottlenecked. If you were at 1080p and had a 144hz display, then it might not be a bad idea.

560ti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 560ti
Member since 2013 • 199 Posts

No reason to upgrade (the 3770K is like 4 to 5 times faster than the CPU of the consoles, it's very fast).

Hell my buddy still runs an overclocked i7 920 from 2008 and most games he's not even going above 60% usage (Consoles using a weak CPU along with the i series being ahead of there time has made CPU a low concern for most normal computer builds/goals)