Is it safe to buy a used pc game?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 lbjkurono23
Member since 2007 • 12544 Posts
By the way the game is old, new 29.99, used 6.99
bentleg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 bentleg
Member since 2006 • 443 Posts

Depends on the game?

Usually not really a problem. But if the game is online you may run into trouble.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#3 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
I've bought two games online and they've both run like they were new.
bentleg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 bentleg

I've bought two games online and they've both run like they were new. biggest_loser

Yeah but problems can arise when you have to input a CD key in and it has already been used for another account.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3fa34a024b3
deactivated-5f3fa34a024b3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#5 deactivated-5f3fa34a024b3
Member since 2005 • 1735 Posts
if its old u should be fine... provided it is in good physical condition. aviod second hand EA games, at least for more recent ones becuase if it has multiplayer it will have mos likely been registered to a different account and so you wont be able to use it online. my brother had this problem when he bought 2142 2nd hand on ebay, since the cd-key was registered to a different EA account, he couldnt get past the login menu on starting up the game... EA are nob heads like that sometimes...
teardropmina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 teardropmina
Member since 2006 • 2806 Posts

By the way the game is old, new 29.99, used 6.99lbjkurono23

not sure it's ok to discuss buying and selling used games since I was told that it's also piracy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3fa34a024b3
deactivated-5f3fa34a024b3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#7 deactivated-5f3fa34a024b3
Member since 2005 • 1735 Posts

[QUOTE="lbjkurono23"]By the way the game is old, new 29.99, used 6.99teardropmina

not sure it's ok to discuss buying and selling used games since I was told that it's also piracy.

there is absolutely nothing wrong with buying used games, you are still buying it, as long as it is a legit copy then you are not breaking any laws. the only reason people like EA don't like you doing it is becuase they want you to buy the new copy, and so they get more money, but if you buy a car, you are entitled to sell it, same with your house or any other posession, you own the game, so you can sell it, its up to you

bentleg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 bentleg
[QUOTE="teardropmina"]

[QUOTE="lbjkurono23"]By the way the game is old, new 29.99, used 6.99marriage0

there is absolutely nothing wrong with buying used games, you are still buying it, as long as it is a legit copy then you are not breaking any laws. the only reason people like EA don't like you doing it is becuase they want you to buy the new copy, and so they get more money, but if you buy a car, you are entitled to sell it, same with your house or any other posession, you own the game, so you can sell it, its up to you

While I agree with you. From a legal point of view that might not be true as you are not technically buying the game you are buying a liscense to that game and in most EULA they do say no unauthorised selling of the game.

thenewau25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#9 thenewau25
Member since 2007 • 2058 Posts
cd key drm, hmm no!
fatshodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 fatshodan
Member since 2008 • 2886 Posts

If it's a singleplayer game, and provided it isn't Spore, Mass Effect, Alone in the Dark or Crysis Warhead (which have install limits), there's no greater risk buying a used PC game than anything else you can buy used.

But if it's an online game, there is nothing to stop the original owner from keeping a copy of the game, keeping a copy of the CD key and carrying on playing it. You can't both be online at the same time with the same key.

I buy plenty of used singleplayer PC games, but I've never once even considered buying a game used where I expected to play it online.

division_9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 division_9
Member since 2005 • 649 Posts
The only guys who say buyng used games is piracy are the guys who own the companys themselves.
lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lbjkurono23
Member since 2007 • 12544 Posts
Thanks for the input guys, I'm gonna buy it new just to be safe . thanks :)