Is it possible to have 2 OSs on 1 Computer??

This topic is locked from further discussion.

opima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 opima
Member since 2004 • 361 Posts

Hey there,

I was wondering if it was possible to have windows XP and windows 95 on the same computer?  I have two hard drives, XP is loaded on my master hard drive.  Is it possible to put windows 95 on the slave drive and at start up go into the set up and change which hard drive the computer boots on and therefore, run windows 95 instead of XP?  If it is, could someone please help me and tell me how to do this?  The reason I am asking is because I would like to be able to play some of the old games without having to run DOSbox on XP.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

namby_trojan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 namby_trojan
Member since 2006 • 1251 Posts
Yes it is. Right after the motherboard's logo, it will show 2 OSs. You have 30 seconds to choose which one. If not chosen, the default one is automatically chosen.
HowardB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 HowardB
Member since 2002 • 1689 Posts
Yes, it's possible to dual boot two operating systems, but getting Windows 95 to run on newer hardware is going to be more trouble than it's worth. That is, of course, if you can get it to run. 
namby_trojan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 namby_trojan
Member since 2006 • 1251 Posts
Oh, as for the old games. You could run them through XP. Right-click the game's shortcut, click properties. Then go to compatibility and then check on the "Run the program with" thing there. Choose Windows 95, click the "run in 256 colours"........... you do it.
Cyborg-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Cyborg-21
Member since 2007 • 2700 Posts
There is an alternative. You could use Microsoft Virtual PC to have Windows 95 running as an application inside Windows XP itself.
opima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 opima

Yes it is. Right after the motherboard's logo, it will show 2 OSs. You have 30 seconds to choose which one. If not chosen, the default one is automatically chosen.namby_trojan

That is, if I have both OSs on my master hard drive, right?  Is there anyway to put windows 95 on the slave drive and have the computer boot from the slave drive??

opima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 opima

There is an alternative. You could use Microsoft Virtual PC to have Windows 95 running as an application inside Windows XP itself.Cyborg-21

How would I be able to do this, is Virtual PC a download or something that I can get?

Cyborg-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 Cyborg-21
Member since 2007 • 2700 Posts

[QUOTE="namby_trojan"]Yes it is. Right after the motherboard's logo, it will show 2 OSs. You have 30 seconds to choose which one. If not chosen, the default one is automatically chosen.opima

That is, if I have both OSs on my master hard drive, right?  Is there anyway to put windows 95 on the slave drive and have the computer boot from the slave drive??

Yes. As stated previously, once you press the power on button, the computer will give you a choice of what OS to boot into.
opima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 opima
[QUOTE="opima"]

[QUOTE="namby_trojan"]Yes it is. Right after the motherboard's logo, it will show 2 OSs. You have 30 seconds to choose which one. If not chosen, the default one is automatically chosen.Cyborg-21

Yes. As stated previously, once you press the power on button, the computer will give you a choice of what OS to boot into.

okay, got it.  Didn't mean to make you repeat yourself, sorry.

HowardB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 HowardB
Member since 2002 • 1689 Posts
[QUOTE="opima"]

[QUOTE="namby_trojan"]Yes it is. Right after the motherboard's logo, it will show 2 OSs. You have 30 seconds to choose which one. If not chosen, the default one is automatically chosen.Cyborg-21

That is, if I have both OSs on my master hard drive, right? Is there anyway to put windows 95 on the slave drive and have the computer boot from the slave drive??

Windows 95 doesn't include a boot loader. If Windows XP is already installed, Windows 95 will simply overwrite the MBR, making it the only operating system available to load.
Avatar image for DeeJayInphinity
DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 DeeJayInphinity
Member since 2004 • 13415 Posts
[QUOTE="Cyborg-21"][QUOTE="opima"]

[QUOTE="namby_trojan"]Yes it is. Right after the motherboard's logo, it will show 2 OSs. You have 30 seconds to choose which one. If not chosen, the default one is automatically chosen.HowardB

That is, if I have both OSs on my master hard drive, right? Is there anyway to put windows 95 on the slave drive and have the computer boot from the slave drive??

Windows 95 doesn't include a boot loader. If Windows XP is already installed, Windows 95 will simply overwrite the MBR, making it the only operating system available to load.

Which is why you install Win95 first, then WinXP.
ldonyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 ldonyo
Member since 2003 • 666 Posts

[QUOTE="Cyborg-21"]There is an alternative. You could use Microsoft Virtual PC to have Windows 95 running as an application inside Windows XP itself.opima

How would I be able to do this, is Virtual PC a download or something that I can get?

Yes, Microsoft Virtual PC is a free download. You can find it on Microsoft's Download Center.

arr1023

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 arr1023
Member since 2006 • 458 Posts
ok this seems like good place to ask: i have two OS's installed on my computer, is there a way to delete the one i dont use?
Jiggly_Wiggly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jiggly_Wiggly
Member since 2006 • 1912 Posts

[QUOTE="namby_trojan"]Yes it is. Right after the motherboard's logo, it will show 2 OSs. You have 30 seconds to choose which one. If not chosen, the default one is automatically chosen.opima

You can change the boot order, in bios... Or get virtual Pc 2004 i've used it.
opima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 opima
[QUOTE="opima"]

[QUOTE="Cyborg-21"]There is an alternative. You could use Microsoft Virtual PC to have Windows 95 running as an application inside Windows XP itself.ldonyo

Yes, Microsoft Virtual PC is a free download. You can find it on Microsoft's Download Center.

thank you very much for your help, I just downloaded it.

Gog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Gog
Member since 2002 • 16376 Posts
Virtual PC doesn't support hardware acceleration though. It's not the kind of stuff you want to play games under.
ldonyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 ldonyo
Member since 2003 • 666 Posts
Microsoft has released Virtual PC 2007, which is free for the downloading and comes in 32-bit and 64-bit flavors. Download from Microsoft.