Is it just me or is gothic 3 painfully difficult?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SLUSHiNaToR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SLUSHiNaToR
Member since 2009 • 1366 Posts

So.. I'm just starting out playing gothic 3 and I really like it, but the stuttering is a big technical issue that bugs the hell out of me..

ANYWAY, So I've played for a couple hours and I find that Its IMPOSSIBLE to hit anything that attacks me. I swing with my sword and the wolf, or whatever I'm fighting, dodges every time.. Then, the wolf attacks me with a combo of 4+ hits and kills me.. SO, I found myself a scythe and just spam the attack button and that works okay.. I can get the wolf to back up into a rock so it can't dodge my moves anymore. But I found a lot of packs of wolfs that I instantly die cause they all just gang up on me and own me.. Did any of you have this issue while first starting out?

TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts

So.. I'm just starting out playing gothic 3 and I really like it, but the stuttering is a big technical issue that bugs the hell out of me..

ANYWAY, So I've played for a couple hours and I find that Its IMPOSSIBLE to hit anything that attacks me. I swing with my sword and the wolf, or whatever I'm fighting, dodges every time.. Then, the wolf attacks me with a combo of 4+ hits and kills me.. SO, I found myself a scythe and just spam the attack button and that works okay.. I can get the wolf to back up into a rock so it can't dodge my moves anymore. But I found a lot of packs of wolfs that I instantly die cause they all just gang up on me and own me.. Did any of you have this issue while first starting out?

SLUSHiNaToR

thats exactly what makes me love the game, or games like it. The fact that are many games like that on pc is also the reason I didnt think much of demons souls, especially as game of the year...

belboz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 belboz
Member since 2003 • 1548 Posts

You are very weak when you start. Don't engage enemies stronger than you. If possible engage enemies and have them follow you to a NPC, and the NPC will dispatch them for you. (you still gain the experience)

I recommend you find a strategy guide if you find fighting difficult.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19566 Posts
You'll get used to the combat, and find strategies that work for you against all sorts of enemies. But yeah, at the start you'll get killed by all sorts of things. Just keep at it, and eventually you'll be able to wipe out entire cities at your leisure.
Karl319

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Karl319
Member since 2005 • 4390 Posts
It takes time to get used to it, and I'll admit it's a terrible system (at least in my opinion). I tried this game back when it came out and now I bought it again on Steam for 1 euro on discount. Nothing has changed, the tech bugs, the fighting and every other annoyance is still there. Still, it's a decent game and I do play it time to time.
Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#6 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts
It's one of those games that are very hard to get into right away so like the other guy said, use NPC's when possible to help with the attacks. The other tactic i found useful you are already using and that is try to get them backed against a wall or cliffside. Other than that you will get your ass kicked...over and over again. The good part is that eventually there will be a moment where you gain the right level and have the right equipment and you realize that everything is all of a sudden easier. the combat, your character and the controls just all line up and you start doing the ass kicking yourself.
B45AK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 B45AK
Member since 2009 • 445 Posts

As people have already said you ussually start of quite weak in all the Gothic games so it's neccessary to be a bit tricky when fighting the bigger monsters. I always carry a bow in the begining even if I don't intend to train the skill. If you can find a spot where the monsters can't reach you can slowly peck away at their hp without risk.

Fighting with a sword is very difficult at the begining especially against wildlife which will knock you down (there is a reason hunters in the middle ages didn't hunt with broadswords). Use your sword when fighting orcs not boars and wolves untill much later.

The great thing about the gothic series is that sense of character progression you feel. I remember when I finally got the fire reign spell in the deserts to the south, I could kill whole camps of orcs at once without them touching me.

Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts
Avoid monsters that are stronger than you, and dont mash your attack button, try to keep your distances from enemies and back up if the enemy gets to close. I started playing gothic 2 not so long ago and that works perfectly (well most of the time ).
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
I never really had that problem. Even with starting health, if you wait until a wolf lunges for you and you just press the left mouse button repeatedly, you will beat him. Of course, later on in the game it's better to get good with actually timing your attacks and blocks, but those animals are pretty easy. Just attack, attack, attack.
boomergs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 boomergs
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I remember when I played Gothic 3. The fighting seemed very hard for me too. And yes, you are very weak at the start of the game, but even later in the game the monster may still give you some troubles. I used to save the game very often. Before every fight. Another reason I saved so often is because the game had many problems and crashed many times. But I still liked it. :)