Is it completely impossible to change a laptop's graphics card?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by WinsteadVolve (366 posts) -

I have been sat pondering on this for a while, I have searched websites and low and behold... mixed opinions arise. 

I do realise that I would have to take the laptop apart in order to replace the graphics card... but here's another query.

Is there such thing as an external graphics card available, i've acquired a decent laptop, but I want to mainly know whether it is customisable to become a decent gaming laptop?

#2 Posted by General_X (9137 posts) -
Only the highest end of laptops have actual cards that can be swapped out, most just have the GPU soldered onto the motherboard or as part of the processor. External graphics solutions are clunky and expensive and pretty much in the preliminary stages at this point.
#3 Posted by Bikouchu35 (8195 posts) -

...so did you try that joint with them Hawaiian burgers yet?

#4 Posted by WinsteadVolve (366 posts) -

Bikouchu35
Oh no, I can't... my girlfriends a vegetarian which pretty much makes me a vegetarian.
#5 Posted by Gaming-Planet (18634 posts) -

With an express slot you can achieve something like this.

ViExpressBoxNotebookFrontCards5.png

#6 Posted by WinsteadVolve (366 posts) -

Only the highest end of laptops have actual cards that can be swapped out, most just have the GPU soldered onto the motherboard or as part of the processor. External graphics solutions are clunky and expensive and pretty much in the preliminary stages at this point.General_X
Well I certainly haven't got that, well I will have to stick to Valve games (Source engine) and MMO's, those and GTA: SA. Thank you anyway.

#7 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13793 posts) -

[QUOTE="Bikouchu35"]

WinsteadVolve

Oh no, I can't... my girlfriends a vegetarian which pretty much makes me a vegetarian.

Be a man

#8 Posted by MonsieurX (36752 posts) -
http://www.techradar.com/news/computing-components/graphics-cards/how-to-make-an-external-laptop-graphics-adaptor-915616
#9 Posted by FelipeInside (28482 posts) -
Impossible: NO Worth it: NO
#10 Posted by WinsteadVolve (366 posts) -
http://www.techradar.com/news/computing-components/graphics-cards/how-to-make-an-external-laptop-graphics-adaptor-915616MonsieurX
Well that does not look easy, I'll research it some more, useful link there, thank you.
#11 Posted by WinsteadVolve (366 posts) -

[QUOTE="WinsteadVolve"][QUOTE="Bikouchu35"]

GummiRaccoon

Be a man

A pulp fiction quote my friend ;)