Is garry's mod hard to use?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Legendary_Bibo (82 posts) -
For instance, is it as easy as Halo 3 Forge, or the far cry level editor (xbox), or is it as hard to use as the source SDK. Does it require advanced PC skills? I want to get it but not if I have to learn anything difficult. Also can I create TF2 levels? The source engine just overwhelmed me and I don't feel like learning it.
Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
#2 Posted by Doom_HellKnight (12217 posts) -

Garry's Mod isn't a level creation tool, like the Source SDK. It allows you to play around with the existing maps found in source engine games, placing and toying around with ragdolls and props, building contraptions etc. You need no skills in computing/coding to create something in Garry's Mod. Just place down props, use tools like connectors and such (all in gun form - Point, click and drag). Obviously, you'll need skill in mouse movement and such if you want to go and make really complex things, but knowledge with coding is only required if you wish to create mods or new game modes for.. Garry's Mod.

If you want to create levels/maps for Team Fortress 2 and other Source Engine games, I'm afraid you'll have to put a little effort in, and learn how to use the Source SDK.

Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
#3 Posted by broken_bass_bin (7515 posts) -

It's relatively easy to use. But it's not an editor, it's just a sandbox.

Which means you can't make new content with it. There are no level design capabilities or anything. Everything you use in the game are the standard assets from Source games (the models, sounds, levels etc.), and you're able to play around with them using Source's physics engine.

If you want to make TF2 levels, or any other Source game content, you need to use Source SDK.

#4 Posted by Legendary_Bibo (82 posts) -
ah so it's like a FPS version of little big planet, sweet. ok I just might get this when I'm bored and don't feel like playing games. I'm new to PC games considering my PS3 is broken, and my family is usually on both 360's.
#5 Posted by Frenzyd109 (2276 posts) -
ah so it's like a FPS version of little big planet, sweet. ok I just might get this when I'm bored and don't feel like playing games. I'm new to PC games considering my PS3 is broken, and my family is usually on both 360's.Legendary_Bibo
Exactly, its pretty fun, you should give it a try
#6 Posted by simardbrad (2355 posts) -

ah so it's like a FPS version of little big planet, sweet. ok I just might get this when I'm bored and don't feel like playing games. I'm new to PC games considering my PS3 is broken, and my family is usually on both 360's.Legendary_Bibo

you mean little big planet is a ps3 kiddy version of garry's mod?

#7 Posted by Legendary_Bibo (82 posts) -
ok I got it, and I have to say it's fun messing around in TF2 maps, hell I actually figured things out without even looking at the controls, and so far it's easier then LBP. Thanks for the suggestion guys.