is Fallout 3 Going to fail? (Poll)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kingeliran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 kingeliran
Member since 2005 • 1069 Posts

is Fallout 3 Going to fail? what do you think?

i actually think it is going to be a great game but only if they can take away the elder scrolls feeling to the game..

i mean you cant play fallout if you have oblivion atmosphere, it will totally ruin the game!.

monty_4256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 monty_4256
Member since 2004 • 8577 Posts

I'm gonna play it... but at the moment I think it looks terrible. I love the style, I love what they're moving towards... I hated the old games

but the design just seems very very flawed at the moment

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#3 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

Oblivion has no atmsophere

I think though the haters of this game, when it is released, are going to have egg on their faces because not only will it have strong RPG elements but it will be a better game than Oblivion and a new direction for this series.

Though I am sure that some here will still find something to complain about: "Hmmm, yess let me put my spectacles on...ohhhh I don't like the way that gun recoils. It flings wayyyy far back and not in line with the motion of the players wrists.. ohhh and look at that decal! It is far too brown!! Noppeee, no editors award here, no sireebob. That lighting has far too much teal....no wayyy, hey hey.

EDIT: Btw: Remake? You might want to rethink that word because this is not a remake!!

DGFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DGFreak
Member since 2003 • 2234 Posts

The poll is flawed, as the meaning of "fail" is not adequately defined. The game could be awful, but is likely to still be quite sucessful.

That said, I think it's going to be fantastic and I'm really looking forward to it.

mysterylobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mysterylobster
Member since 2004 • 1932 Posts
What I can assure you is that Fallout 3, no matter what flaws the gameplay has, will get good reviews across the board.
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
What I can assure you is that Fallout 3, no matter what flaws the gameplay has, will get good reviews across the board. mysterylobster
if it has big gameplay flaws, it won't review so well across the board. i don't think it'll have tons of 'flaws' per se, but it will do a lot of things that fallout purists won't like.
dbpvivi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 dbpvivi
Member since 2005 • 301 Posts
There is a huge market for a game like this. Guns, exploration, gore and humour. There will be lots of young gamers more than happy with it. So I think it will do well (commercially anyway). However if you have played (and loved) Fallout 2 then its hit or miss. Will it be a trip down memory lane? Or just a few copy+pasted scenes from fallout layered over oblivion and guns?
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 biggest_loser

What I can assure you is that Fallout 3, no matter what flaws the gameplay has, will get good reviews across the board. mysterylobster

I wonder if you have ever played San Andreas.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

I think though the haters of this game, when it is released, are going to have egg on their faces because not only will it have strong RPG elements but it will be a better game than Oblivion and a new direction for this series.

Though I am sure that some here will still find something to complain about: "Hmmm, yess let me put my spectacles on...ohhhh I don't like the way that gun recoils. It flings wayyyy far back and not in line with the motion of the players wrists.. ohhh and look at that decal! It is far too brown!! Noppeee, no editors award here, no sireebob. That lighting has far too much teal....no wayyy, hey hey.

EDIT: Btw: Remake? You might want to rethink that word because this is not a remake!!

biggest_loser

Strong rpg elements? They have shown nothing that leads to that conclusion.. In fact they have said time and time again its a spirtual successor to Oblivion.. Which had no rpg elements..

Your right its not a remake, its a butchering of a rpg series to form a game that is most likely gonna have little to no rpg elements to begin with.

napp123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 napp123
Member since 2007 • 865 Posts
I think it will be an excellent FPSRPG game
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 biggest_loser
[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

sSubZerOo

Strong rpg elements? They have shown nothing that leads to that conclusion.. In fact they have said time and time again its a spirtual successor to Oblivion.. Which had no rpg elements..

Your right its not a remake, its a butchering of a rpg series to form a game that is most likely gonna have little to no rpg elements to begin with.

Well as I have read in previews you have points to apply to your Strength, Charisma, Endurance, Intelligence, Agility, Luck and Perception. You can pause the action in combat like some RPGs too. There are also choices to be made, like whether you blow up an entire town or not.

All you are basing this game on in not having strong RPG elements is Oblivion. lol, like c'mon.

Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#12 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts

Its been over ten years since Fallout 2. Alot of people dont know or remember the series, the expectations isnt as high as Oblivion was. Fallout 3 might beat everyones expectations by making a hybrid FPS/RPG game with a little twist. If players want a new game with a different angle to play, this might be it.

My guess Fallout 3 PC version will get 9.0 and higher or equivalent, except on Gamespot it will get 8.5 due to hardware system requirements. It would get a few game of the year rewards as well.

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
At least it is going to fail Fallout fans.
xInfinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 xInfinity
Member since 2003 • 48 Posts

I think that in this time and age, for those of us who have been playing games steadily for the past decade or longer, it's incredibly hard to make a game later on that can meet up to the expectations of any predecessor. Especially games that have a fanatical cult fanbase, like the Fallout series.

Then you just have to ask yourselves, do you just want more of the same (which isn't always a bad thing) or are you willing to give a shot at something a little different from the norm, but manages to remain mostly true to its roots?

There will always be detractors. That's a given. But being able to combine strategy with a good story and a decent amount of eye candy is no easy feat. I think Bethesda will pull through.

Avatar image for deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#15 deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
Member since 2004 • 13995 Posts
i think it looks like a hit or miss. i never played the previous ones, but from what I've been hearing from fans, it's nothing like the old ones. i've been hoping that there would be more FPSRPGs. Their E3 footage didn't impress me too much other than the RPG elements. the shooting looks stale at this point.
Mediocre_man90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Mediocre_man90
Member since 2006 • 968 Posts

Well, I think it's pretty much assured that it'll get great reviews and will be highly successful, because there's absolutely no reason for it not to. Whether it satisfies Hardcore fans of the series is a completely different story, and at this point I'm not sure that's even possible. Fallout fans are some of the most fanatical I've seen, and they take even the slightest changes to the formula as a personal affront.

From what I've seen, it has a lot of potential, and there's still a whole lot of time for them to Buffout (sorry, couldn't resist) some of the glaring issues. The more I see of the vats system, the more I'm convinced that it'll work well. I am still worried about the amount of choices the game will give you, and I'm not holding my breath that they'll have non-combat solutions to every problem like the old games, but at the E3 presentation they said that you'll be able to play as any kind of character, so there's still some glimmer of hope(which I suppose is a sad sign of the times). I guess we'll find out when it comes out.

Lilgunney612

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 Lilgunney612
Member since 2005 • 1878 Posts
We wont know till it comes out now will we?
RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts
I can already picture the RPG fans on this forum praying to their Fallout messiah that this game fails and some horrible backlash goes against Bethesda.
krazyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#19 krazyorange
Member since 2005 • 2669 Posts
It wont be a good game, but it will succeed because of great, overrating reviews.
G013M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 G013M
Member since 2006 • 6424 Posts
I was impressed by their e3 demo, so while they probably won't be able to live up to the expectations of some hardcore Fallout 1 and 2 fans (and honestly I don't think anyone should expect them to, they're a different developer, and they do have their own style); I still think it's going to be a great game to play.
StephenHu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 StephenHu
Member since 2003 • 2852 Posts
No. It will rock?
Chyropraise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Chyropraise
Member since 2005 • 179 Posts
Yeah I have no doubt it will get good reviews. So it will definately not fail financially especially from all the hype surrounding it. But will it be good for the old Fallout purists? I am skeptical myself and will hold judgement.
fatshodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 fatshodan
Member since 2008 • 2886 Posts

It's going to be a commercial success thanks to the sheer number of Bethesda's fans, the selling power of the Fallout name and all the people who, despite being sure it will be a poor game, want to try it out anyway because, good or bad, it's a major gaming event.

But everything I've seen so far suggests the game will be a terrible roleplaying game and a terrible action game.

krazyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#24 krazyorange
Member since 2005 • 2669 Posts

But everything I've seen so far suggests the game will be a terrible roleplaying game and a terrible action game.

fatshodan

exactly. They're putting too much FPS in for RPGers, and too much RPG in for FPSers. It's fail-fail.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#25 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts
well, i know i'm going to enjoy it, regardless of complaints. i like fpsrpg combo games, so i'm right in this games path as far as marketing is concerned. i'm just dreading all the clashes of those who love the game and those who hate the game right after it comes out, and for years to come. i'm sure i will tire of it quickly.
capthavic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#26 capthavic
Member since 2003 • 6478 Posts

I think that no matter how it turns out the haters will still **** on it because it's not a carbon copy of the previous two games.

modai119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 modai119
Member since 2007 • 531 Posts
If its mod supported then no. If not then we got boned.
machine_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 machine_B
Member since 2007 • 998 Posts
I don't really "get" what Bethezda are trying to do with fallout. As far as I can see it's more of a Bioshock rip-off than anything else. I haven't played the other Fallouts though so I guess they took a lot from those games aswel. But yeah, the graphics looks horribly dated as if they're on the original Oblivion engine, and that whole "pause and aim" thing just looks pointless. Nice gore, though.
augustlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 augustlight
Member since 2008 • 400 Posts
Unless the game gets terrible reviews, I'm going to buy it and try it out, so I went with the second option. However, I'm not holding my breath, because the only thing that I've seen of the game that got me excited was a trailer that cut all the action sequences and pasted them together to make it seem like the game features exciting combat, but the E3 demonstration dashed whatever hope I had for the game, cuz it was so frigging BORING!
RobbieH1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 RobbieH1234
Member since 2005 • 7464 Posts
It'll be a decent game, but a terrible Fallout.
col_hannibal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 col_hannibal
Member since 2007 • 389 Posts

I think we have another Oblivion on our hands, console gamers and reviewers are going to praise this game like the second coming of Jesus, but the gamers that are looking for a true RPG with complex gameplay, character development and good story, will be very disappointed. Fallout 3 looks pretty much like Oblivion, and it also inherits a lot of its problems, if we are to believe Eurogamer's preview.

I for one will not be buying this game, especially after Eurogamer's preview, I know a lot of people bash this website, but they are very reliable, in my opinion, and so far I agree with pretty much every review they published.

To sum up, Fallout 3 will be a success, but a mediocre game at best, that will attract console gamers.

hamidious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 hamidious
Member since 2007 • 1537 Posts
I think that it's going to fail for gamers who actually play the game and are unfazed by the hype. It is going to fail for those expecting a game as good as the old fallout games. However, the press seem to love it and hype it, also the console boys will love it because they love anything that is hyped by the press. So in terms of game reviews it is going to win, but as a game for gamer it will fail. Wow, I noticed the post above me states my opinion accurately.
dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 dnuggs40
Member since 2003 • 10484 Posts
I thought E3 demo looked great.
kpsting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 kpsting
Member since 2005 • 2452 Posts

The Eurogamer review got me worried, I was expecting the game to be lacking but not this much.

The poll should also have an option of:

"I don't know (will wait for legitimate user reviews first and then decide whether to buy it or not)"

lenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lenson
Member since 2006 • 2531 Posts

I'm curious of whether I will even be able to run it.

My pc is a 2.4ghz quad core 4gig memory and geforce 8800gt 512mb.

Yet it lags alot when trying to run oblivion. I do have a lot of mods on the game to up the visuals but still even with the mods it doesn't look like its anywhere near fallout 3's level.

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 dnuggs40
Member since 2003 • 10484 Posts

Yet it lags alot when trying to run oblivion. I do have a lot of mods on the game to up the visuals but still even with the mods it doesn't look like its anywhere near fallout 3's level.

lenson

Think you might have an issue with your computer (virus, spyware, hardware conflicts, fragmentation, mods conflicts, ect). I have a slighty worse computer, yet can max out Oblivion (with tons of mods including the visual ones) @ 1680X1050 and it runs very smoothly.

Take a look at the benchmarks...the 8800GT kills oblivion even at max AA and at very high resolutions:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-8800-gt,1714-9.html

Your computer specs is definetly up to the task for running Fallout 3....

Jamex1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Jamex1987
Member since 2008 • 2187 Posts
How can it fail when its on the ps3 and 360. It will sell millions just like Oblivion.
chesterocks7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 chesterocks7
Member since 2005 • 1572 Posts
I think it looks great and is going to be a big success. However, there is no avoiding the inevitable crying from the Fallout fanboys and the Oblivion/Bethesda haters.
Jamex1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Jamex1987
Member since 2008 • 2187 Posts

I think it looks great and is going to be a big success. However, there is no avoiding the inevitable crying from the Fallout fanboys and the Oblivion/Bethesda haters.chesterocks7

Fallout fanboys still exist? The last game was over 10 years ago.,

chesterocks7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 chesterocks7

[QUOTE="chesterocks7"]I think it looks great and is going to be a big success. However, there is no avoiding the inevitable crying from the Fallout fanboys and the Oblivion/Bethesda haters.Jamex1987

Fallout fanboys still exist? The last game was over 10 years ago.,

Unfortunately time does not kill fanboys.

teardropmina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#41 teardropmina
Member since 2006 • 2806 Posts

lenson

your windows needs a serious clean-up. Oblivion is a 6800-7900 era game.

ADG_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#42 ADG_
Member since 2003 • 1654 Posts

is Fallout 3 Going to fail? what do you think?

kingeliran
Depends on your definition of success/failure If by success you're only looking at sales, then it could become successful, but if you're looking at how happy the fans of the series will be, then there's a high risk of failure I liked the first Fallout games, but I wouldn't call myself a die hard Fallout fan. I have never played Oblivion, so I have no idea what they're complaining about, when they say that it'll just be Oblivion with guns
AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 AnnoyedDragon
Member since 2006 • 9948 Posts

The mainstream have lower standards than the audience Fallout originally appealed to; they don't particularly care if a game is a suitable successor in a franchise or a in depth role playing experiece like it is supposed to be, give them something that goes boom in a comical manner and they will be happy.

It will most likely be a big 'retail' success, doesn't mean it is a true Fallout sequel or it is an in depth RPG however.

There isn't a poll option for success/not buying.

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
[QUOTE="lenson"]

teardropmina

your windows needs a serious clean-up. Oblivion is a 6800-7900 era game.

Depending on the mods they use, it can burn up a lot of texture space on your graphics card and basically slap a 512MB card around.
dos4gw82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 dos4gw82
Member since 2006 • 1896 Posts

biggest_loser

Really? Maybe you meant that you think Oblivion doesn't have a particularly interesting or original atmosphere? That's perfectly fair. But come on...saying that the game has no atmosphere is just ridiculous.

chesterocks7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 chesterocks7
[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

dos4gw82

Really? Maybe you meant that you think Oblivion doesn't have a particularly interesting or original atmosphere? That's perfectly fair. But come on...saying that the game has no atmosphere is just ridiculous.

Agreed. Saying Oblivion has no atmosphere is like saying F.E.A.R. has no story. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not there.

wackys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#47 wackys
Member since 2005 • 1315 Posts
I think it won't.At least I hope it won't.I'l just watch and see and decide to buy it or not based on reviews (not gamespot's).
promajo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 promajo
Member since 2007 • 174 Posts

just enjoy the game on it's own instead to compairing it to F2

plus it will never live up to each person's expectations, the will always be idots complaining it's not the same as it F2, the same idiot's will always be complaining Starcraft 2 is the same as Starcraft; makes me wanne smack them