Is Diablo 1 and 2 worth playing before 3?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Captain_Lorelli
Captain_Lorelli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Captain_Lorelli
Member since 2004 • 1078 Posts

Topic..

SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts
Diablo 2 should be played by everyone. One of the best games ever made.
-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#3 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

Post.

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#4 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

Absolutely. They're still a blast.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#5 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

YES!
I am replayign Diablo2 and its expansion pack right now!
Its still tons of fun :D

If you dont mind some old graphics then I say give it a go before D3!

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts
Reminds me i should try to get my character to level 50 in Diablo 1...
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Diablo I is slow, that's the best way i can put it. It simply is outdated compared to Diablo II, which is one of the most addictive games ever made. But, despite that, it has a addictive nature to it, i have no problem finding enjoyment and succesfully finishing it. But that's just me, it's all up to the gamer and his personal view.

But what i can tell you with 100% certainty is that you should give the first one a go aswell for a couple of levels, and see if it clicks with you. Or check a couple of 'Let's Play' videos on youtube and see if you find it interesting enough to get it. Decide yourself, or there's the potential risk of missing out on a game that you may fall in love with.

And playing Diablo II is a no-brainer. It's actually a miraculous wonder as to why you haven't played it yet.

Avatar image for Captain_Lorelli
Captain_Lorelli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Captain_Lorelli
Member since 2004 • 1078 Posts

Diablo I is slow, that's the best way i can put it. It simply is outdated compared to Diablo II, which is one of the most addictive games ever made. But, despite that, it has a addictive nature to it, i have no problem finding enjoyment and succesfully finishing it. But that's just me, it's all up to the gamer and his personal view.

But what i can tell you with 100% certainty is that you should give the first one a go aswell for a couple of levels, and see if it clicks with you. Or check a couple of 'Let's Play' videos on youtube and see if you find it interesting enough to get it. Decide yourself, or there's the potential risk of missing out on a game that you may fall in love with.

And playing Diablo II is a no-brainer. It's actually a miraculous wonder as to why you haven't played it yet.

Lucianu

Lol..well back in those days I was a Ultima Online addict..so from 98-2004 I played no other PC games...and I was only 12-13 years old back then...Diablo 3 has me hyped so I want to test out the old ones.

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts

[QUOTE="Lucianu"]

Captain_Lorelli

Lol..well back in those days I was a Ultima Online addict..so from 98-2004 I played no other PC games...and I was only 12-13 years old back then...Diablo 3 has me hyped so I want to test out the old ones.

Well give them a try... You can find both of them dirt cheap so why not?
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

No, the games aren't really worth playing. They are pretty good games, but theres very little value for its story to play Diablo 3. Diablo 1's story is actually pretty nonsensical. Blizzard is fully aware that Diablo 2 is over 10 years old and not everyone has experienced it, much less Diablo 1.

You are more likely to be put off by playing D1/D2 than by just waiting for D3.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#11 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11790 Posts

No, the games aren't really worth playing. They are pretty good games, but theres very little value for its story to play Diablo 3. Diablo 1's story is actually pretty nonsensical. Blizzard is fully aware that Diablo 2 is over 10 years old and not everyone has experienced it, much less Diablo 1.

You are more likely to be put off by playing D1/D2 than by just waiting for D3.

XaosII

There is a point in this post here, I would say you could always just read the story on Wiki.

Diablo 1 didn't have much of a story, but there is lore there.

Diablo II had much more of a story.

Both of which can be looked up online and read.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

If you want to catch up with the story, forget it. You can have someone tell it to you, it's there just to make some sense of the places you're sent to.

With that said Diablo 2 is still a blast to play. Just know that by playing it now you're only getting half the game: the best part of Diablo 2 was the economy, and as you can probably guess it's not nearly as lively now as it was 10 years ago.

Diablo 1 is slower than Diablo 2 but much more atmospheric. Think of it like an old school RPG/dungeon crawler with simplified stats.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
Diablo 1 not so much, even if you don't care about graphics, playing it will be torture (most of the time you'll try to distinguish loot pixels from environment pixels), 2 is also pretty dated, but it's a lot of fun online, so if you really want, you definitely have to get 2 + LoD.
SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#14 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

Diablo 1 not so much, even if you don't care about graphics, playing it will be torture (most of the time you'll try to distinguish loot pixels from environment pixels)DanielDust

You're right about the looting, it can be a real chore, but Diablo 1 is mindless fun nonetheless

V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts
Played Diablo II a few months back, no dount I can see why it was good but it has aged badly, looks and feels very old to play. I would say wait and just get Diablo III.
trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 trastamad03
Member since 2006 • 4859 Posts
Story wise... Not really... Gameplay wise, D2 over D1... They have altered / retconned a lot of stuff lore/story wise in Diablo III that stuff that happens in D1/D2 are changed... for the better to be honest, cause this way, there can be a continuation.
James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 James00715
Member since 2003 • 2484 Posts

Don't worry about getting to max level or the best gear, but it would be good to beat it before Diablo 3 to understand the legacy and changes between each release. I thought the story was pretty good in them unlike some other posters here. I like the Diablo lore/story more than Warcraft and Starcraft though. Both Diablo 2 and 3 have connections to the original Tristram in Diablo 1 that you won't really understand if you don't play all the games. You can read about all this instead of playing of course. I don't think I will play them much after Diablo 3 though.

THGarrett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#18 THGarrett
Member since 2003 • 2574 Posts

You probably could skip the first Diablo, but the second game is one that should be played by all.

Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts
Id Diablo 2 is a definite yes. I loved every minute of that game. 2D graphics and ALL. :D
Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts
Considering that anyone starting Diablo 1 or 2 now is really only going to be playing it for the story, rather than setting out for a grindfest of getting the ultimate gear, then you should be able to complete both comfortably before Diablo 3 gets released. There is probably a Battlechest edition out there somewhere for about $10 that contains both games, and maybe the expansion packs if you're lucky.
Selkc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 Selkc
Member since 2011 • 203 Posts

actually i would go with number 1.. seriously. i think it would make 3 much sweeter then. seeing how much the gameplay improved by skipping a generation...

Jertsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Jertsy
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
Hey guys - I have not played any of the Diablo games, so got myself a copy of the game. Loaded it up, and it obviously looks awful. Max res with the expansion is 800x600 - but, with this mod you can expand the resolution, it looks great. http://vidya.dyndns.org/d2/board/res/1309749419.html There's the instructions, all links are there. I'm playing window mode at a res 1450x1050 - just add -w after the speech marks on the shortcut.
Jertsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jertsy
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
Hey guys - I have not played any of the Diablo games, so got myself a copy of the game. Loaded it up, and it obviously looks awful. Max res with the expansion is 800x600 - but, with this mod you can expand the resolution, it looks great. http://vidya.dyndns.org/d2/board/res/1309749419.html There's the instructions, all links are there. I'm playing window mode at a res 1450x1050 - just add -w after the speech marks on the shortcut.
trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 trastamad03
Member since 2006 • 4859 Posts
[QUOTE="Jertsy"]Hey guys - I have not played any of the Diablo games, so got myself a copy of the game. Loaded it up, and it obviously looks awful. Max res with the expansion is 800x600 - but, with this mod you can expand the resolution, it looks great. http://vidya.dyndns.org/d2/board/res/1309749419.html There's the instructions, all links are there. I'm playing window mode at a res 1450x1050 - just add -w after the speech marks on the shortcut.

Wouldn't use it online... Warden isn't too friendly with it.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

Hey guys - I have not played any of the Diablo games, so got myself a copy of the game. Loaded it up, and it obviously looks awful. Max res with the expansion is 800x600 - but, with this mod you can expand the resolution, it looks great. http://vidya.dyndns.org/d2/board/res/1309749419.html There's the instructions, all links are there. I'm playing window mode at a res 1450x1050 - just add -w after the speech marks on the shortcut. Jertsy
Windowed looks much better, that mod is absolutely terrible, all it does is zoom out, it breaks atmosphere, intensity, everything.

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts
Blizzard are fully aware 1 and 2 are over 10 years old and the majority of the gamers who will play 3 have never played them. Its not like the Mass Effect series.
jack00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jack00
Member since 2006 • 4265 Posts
Hell yeah they are worth playing before D3, even to this day Diablo 1 is fun to play.
KleptoZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 KleptoZ
Member since 2004 • 155 Posts

I never get these types of questions. Do games suddenly lose their appeal with age? A good game is a good game. So yes, you should definitely play them both.

Also, who hasn't played Diablo??

ArchDemon123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ArchDemon123
Member since 2010 • 967 Posts

Diablo 1 all the way :), it was actually the best in series for me, having played both last month.

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30 garfield360uk
Member since 2006 • 20381 Posts
So is the story crucial to this? I am planning on picking up Diablo 3 but have never played the first or second game and do not know if it is worth buying the older versions (or even getting the collectors edition of Diablo 3 to get the first and second game as well).
-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#31 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

Watch the cutscenes on Youtube.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

So is the story crucial to this? I am planning on picking up Diablo 3 but have never played the first or second game and do not know if it is worth buying the older versions (or even getting the collectors edition of Diablo 3 to get the first and second game as well).Garfield360UK

No, the story is definitely not crucial. It's just there to tell you what the places you see come from. Nothing fancy.